(Topic ID: 159101)

GoT - Something getting HOT in diagnostics mode?

By markp99

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by markp99
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I've noticed this over the past few weeks. When I put my GoT Premium into diagnostics mode to check the Orbits, tossing the ball around for a while:

Diag>GoT>Orbits

I get a very strong smell - maybe something getting overheated? I notice it coming from the backbox, but further poking indicates the "smell" is coming from the cabinet, just venting up into the backbox. The smell reminds me of a "fresh sharpie marker" smell - not exactly of burning electronics. It's odd. I ran Orbit diagnostics again tonite - same smell, again.

No similar smell during normal game play, even after extended play...

My thought is possibly the coils for left & right gates at the top of the orbits are being held open abnormally long & getting too hot (?) Problem is - nothing actually seems too HOT, at least to the touch. Or, I am just not touching the offending component/board/coil, etc.

Any suggestions to diagnose this diagnostics mode?

Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

You are correct in in the matter of the orbit coils heating off and the smell coming from them. I had a bad update and my coils always stayed open in test and got that smell as well. I reloaded code which resolved that issue. You must be doing mad testing to get hat smell

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

You are correct in in the matter of the orbit coils heating off and the smell coming from them. I had a bad update and my coils always stayed open in test and got that smell as well. I reloaded code which resolved that issue. You must be doing mad testing to get hat smell

Actually, just a few quick minutes of orbit testing is enough to get that familiar smell.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsford, NY
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-something-getting-hot-in-diagnostics-mode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.