• Latest reply 11 years ago by pezpunk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SRKSTR_001.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Have to say it was a pretty negative experience so those who aren't willing to hear negativity about Shrek/Family guy close the thread now!
As I said with FG most if the upper right pf is useless you kind of play off the left side only with one or two stand ups to bump up against on the side of the mini pinball machine. The only blatant goal was to spell out pinball or whatever to play the little table. In all fairness if I owned the machine I could probably figure more out as I went but at this point it appears more of the usual pinside "hype" you guys are becoming world renowned for.
The take away was my strikers extreme was more actual pinball than this table but i do prefer FG or Shrek themes without a doubt.

#2 11 years ago

Ehh I feel the same way. Its ok to play once in awhile but not worth the hype.

#3 11 years ago

FG is my daughter's machine in the collection. She loves it. I would like to replace it. But then she loves the show. I think it is moronic.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from chas010:

but at this point it appears more of the usual pinside "hype" you guys are becoming world renowned for.

"Shrek" is not a hyped game, what planet are you living on?
Serious playtime? You deserve to be commended just for playing a couples games on that table. The music makes me want to blow my brains out..

#5 11 years ago

Disclosure: I own Family Guy

I'll start by saying I think it's a good game. It's not great, it's not bad. For me, the theme makes it the funniest pinball in existence and a keeper for me.

You don't have an understanding of the game or the rules. All the modes are very very well balanced and all but one of them is worth playing in my opinion. I love the fact that you have to do well in the modes to do well in TV wizard mode. (sorry, I'm a FGY guy, I don't know what it's called in Shrek). The upper flipper is great, can hit Stewie targets, go under the mini, or captive ball.

As a VERY unique toy, good flow especially for a Lawler. It has a lot going for it.

A littler too much spinner, spinner, spinner, scoop for my taste, but no game is perfect.

But yes, a few plays with no understanding of gameplay, rules or strategy is making you look a little bashy IMO.

Quoted from chas010:

Have to say it was a pretty negative experience so those who aren't willing to hear negativity about Shrek/Family guy close the thread now!
As I said with FG most if the upper right pf is useless you kind of play off the left side only with one or two stand ups to bump up against on the side of the mini pinball machine. The only blatant goal was to spell out pinball or whatever to play the little table. In all fairness if I owned the machine I could probably figure more out as I went but at this point it appears more of the usual pinside "hype" you guys are becoming world renowned for.
The take away was my strikers extreme was more actual pinball than this table but i do prefer FG or Shrek themes without a doubt.

This is a very telling statement, you like bad pinball games

Quoted from chas010:

The take away was my strikers extreme was more actual pinball than this table

I can see how it's not everyone's cup of tea, that's for sure.

Quoted from Pinmeister:

I think it is moronic.

#6 11 years ago

Im headed to Chucky Cheese's, this weekend. Shrek is the only reason I got roped into going, for they have one there that I have been wanting to try. Im going to keep an open mind and pump a bunch of tokens in it.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from chas010:

The only blatant goal was to spell out pinball or whatever to play the little table.

You sir need more time on the game if that's what you came away with. It's true with stock settings that you play Stewie Pinball way too much, but that is adjustable and hardly the only goal of the game.

#8 11 years ago

Did you use the plunger?
It's that little spring loaded thing on your right.
My son owns this game and will never sell it.

SRKSTR_001.jpgSRKSTR_001.jpg

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You sir need more time on the game if that's what you came away with. It's true with stock settings that you play Stewie Pinball way too much, but that is adjustable and hardly the only goal of the game.

...and even if you get up there, there's a point to it - it's not just flapping around up there to be cute. If you complete all the shots & spell the names on the upper playfield, you get Donkey/Stewie Multiball...you have to play the upper and lower simultaneously and hit alternating Jackpots.

...actually that just made me think of something. All this time I thought FG/Shrek's rules were 100% carbon copy. However, the "Meg" shot on the upper playfield is "Man" (Gingerbread Man) on Shrek. So - on FG, during Stewie Multiball you hit Meg on the upper, then Meg on the lower....but Meg on the lower is Fiona on Shrek. Gingerbread Man is the Lois/spinner shot on FG...I wonder if those Jackpot shots were changed on Shrek to compensate for the mini-pinball names.

#10 11 years ago

Shrek is awesome! Especially when you play it against someone else or a 3-4 player game.

I have played it quite a few times at a pinheads buddies house and find that it has something new to offer \ achieve every time. I have to admit I love the theme and music so it helps if you are a fan.

8\10 pinheads for me for the overall package.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

...actually that just made me think of something. All this time I thought FG/Shrek's rules were 100% carbon copy. However, the "Meg" shot on the upper playfield is "Man" (Gingerbread Man) on Shrek. So - on FG, during Stewie Multiball you hit Meg on the upper, then Meg on the lower....but Meg on the lower is Fiona on Shrek. Gingerbread Man is the Lois/spinner shot on FG...I wonder if those Jackpot shots were changed on Shrek to compensate for the mini-pinball names.

Hmmm...that is a good point. Looking at it, the only character that is the same location on the "mini" is Shrek. I would guess that all the shots are moved to their respective jackpot shots. So the code ISN'T identical!

#12 11 years ago

<-------- Still wants a Shrek....still can't find one.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I'll start by saying I think it's a good game. It's not great, it's not bad.

I disagree. I think FGY and Shrek are both great games. Easily Stern top 3. I won't write too much about them considering how much effort the original poster put into his 'review', but I will mention a few of the things I really like.

The stacking is unbelievable. Try stacking Crazy Chris, Ipecac, and Stewie multiball all together. 5 balls, 3 modes and 2 playfields. That will score you some points in a hurry. Or try stacking Lard multiball, Fart multiball and Crazy Chris together, then add in Happy Hour from the beer can. All the stacking you can handle.

Also, TV/Swamp mini wizard mode is the best mini wiz mode ever IMO. Better than many full blown wiz modes. If you've never played TV wiz mode, you really should have it on your bucket list. Seriously. Lastly, it's an excellent tournament game. Even if you get housed on your first two balls, charity Lard multiball will always give you hope on the last ball. Can't be turned off with tournament settings.

On factory settings, it is stupid easy. If you don't have kids, disable the center post immediately. You'll also want it steeper than factory. Close to 7 degrees. Both outlane posts should be completely opened. (my right outlane post is removed)

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from bjoechamp:

Im headed to Chucky Cheese's, this weekend.

If it works, it will be a miracle.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

If it works, it will be a miracle.

yup. my local chuck e cheese has a Shrek, and the scoop has been broken all three times i've been there (about a year apart). the non-functional scoop makes the game virtually unplayable. the ball goes in there and fails to register anything so the machine just sits.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-some-serious-play-time-on-a-shrek-today and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.