(95 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
20160201_191406_(resized).jpg
20160201_191451_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hey y'all!

Trying to narrow down this choice, I get one new pin this year and want your advice on why I should buy each one of these!

I've played a little bit of both GOT layouts at FPF last year, and have put in some time on some beat up Spidermans (but never a nice one). I like both of them, but prefer the art on the Spiderman VE quite a bit to the GOT which I don't consider very pretty. I've read all the GOT books and huge fan of the show of the well, and the gameplay seems fast and fun.

Sneaking into the race is the TWD. I really like the theme and a big fan of the show. I miss my Tron Pro so much and I'm wondering if TWD has the same kind of feel that Tron does (quick games and you just keep hitting start over and over to try and get a little further)?

All three seem to have pretty deep rules with hard to obtain wizard mode (which I prefer). Is Spiderman's wizard mode considered hard to get or pretty easy with the long ball times I'm reading about on here?

Convince me to buy your favorite?

#2 8 years ago

Vote for TWD Pro....the Premium is nice, but Pro is solid and you can use that money to help purchase another pin.

#3 8 years ago

Yeah I like the looks of the TWD Pro and I'm leaning that way.

I see a lot of comments about the Premium/LE having completely different strategies that are interesting, like Walker Bombs for example. For those that have played both, will I missing those much if I go with the pro?

#4 8 years ago

I would go for a Spiderman... new or old, wouldn't matter...

#5 8 years ago

You can watch these TWD videos and decide....I think the Pro is a great value. Congrats on whichever machine you get.

Premium

Pro

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

You can watch these TWD videos and decide....I think the Pro is a great value. Congrats on whichever machine you get.
Premium
» YouTube video
Pro
» YouTube video

Great videos with lots of good information. Thanks!

#7 8 years ago

TWD is definitely the harder of the bunch. Horde wizard mode is very attainable and very fun at first but sometimes I feel like man, horde again? Now I can't progress to go for LMS, terminus, or siege unless I timeout the mode which is just not my style. very fun mode nonetheless, but does become tiresome at times. TWD does offer a lot of depth and breadth and is both frustrating yet exhilarating. The fun factor on twd is hit or miss for me; I typically don't have that feeling to keep pressing Start because it takes a long ball time game to open up the board so after an hour session of pinball, there's a good chance you didn't get much done achievement wise. Good game if you want a challenge with both a frustrating and rewarding path to opening up other aspects of the game, and have a lot of time on your hands as that's what it'll take to finally get that great rush of a game in.

SM is the easiest of the 3 with fun and challenging attainable wizard modes. The wizard modes on SM is the best part of SM. The villain modes and call outs are very repetitious but lighting spider arrows makes up for it. If you want an easier marathon with
repetitious yet fun style game, go SM.

GOT PRO is fantastic. It's still has some code issues that need refining but the meat is all there and it's goo-ood! It offers fast fast gameplay with all attainable, fun, and challenging wizard modes. Hand of the king is a blast mixing up different houses to change the ruleset of the wizard mode; and doing the bonus round can be an absolute blast. Winter has come wizard mode lacks sound effects and call outs for making shots in its current code state but its rules more than make up for it. Iron throne is another diverse style wizard mode with lots of creativity. All 3 modes are attainable with unique and fun rulesets which keep you pressing start over and over and over agai.....and over again. And the beauty is it doesn't take a marathon game to get through it all and everytime I press start feel like I have a chance to open them all up and explore a new experience each time.

Overall, i give a heavy nod to GOT PRO. Then TWD. And SM last.

As for TWD pro vs premium. You're only missing out on walker bombs. Everything else is great on the pro. Walker bombs helps push those marathon games to see LMS and siege all which are very difficult to achieve. But horde and terminus will always be there for both pro and premium models. Oh, there's also crossbow frenzy which both models have but I imagine the actual crossbow on the prem is more fun than the pro.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

As for TWD pro vs premium. You're only missing out on walker bombs. Everything else is great on the pro. Walker bombs helps push those marathon games to see LMS and siege all which are very difficult to achieve. But horde and terminus will always be there for both pro and premium models. Oh, there's also crossbow frenzy which both models have but I imagine the actual crossbow on the prem is more fun than the pro.

I 100% agree with this. GoT is fun, but I haven't played enough games on it to give the nod over TWD.

NIB is a win whichever you pick

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

TWD is definitely the harder of the bunch. Horde wizard mode is very attainable and very fun at first but sometimes I feel like man, horde again? Now I can't progress to go for LMS, terminus, or siege unless I timeout the mode which is just not my style. very fun mode nonetheless, but does become tiresome at times. TWD does offer a lot of depth and breadth and is both frustrating yet exhilarating. The fun factor on twd is hit or miss for me; I typically don't have that feeling to keep pressing Start because it takes a long ball time game to open up the board so after an hour session of pinball, there's a good chance you didn't get much done achievement wise. Good game if you want a challenge with both a frustrating and rewarding path to opening up other aspects of the game, and have a lot of time on your hands as that's what it'll take to finally get that great rush of a game in.
SM is the easiest of the 3 with fun and challenging attainable wizard modes. The wizard modes on SM is the best part of SM. The villain modes and call outs are very repetitious but lighting spider arrows makes up for it. If you want an easier marathon with
GOT PRO is fantastic. It's still has some code issues that need refining but the meat is all there and it's goo-ood! It offers fast fast gameplay with all attainable, fun, and challenging wizard modes. Hand of the king is a blast mixing up different houses to change the ruleset of the wizard mode; and doing the bonus round can be an absolute blast. Winter has come wizard mode lacks sound effects and call outs for making shots in its current code state but its rules more than make up for it. Iron throne is another diverse style wizard mode with lots of creativity. All 3 modes are attainable with unique and fun rulesets which keep you pressing start over and over and over agai.....and over again. And the beauty is it doesn't take a marathon game to get through it all and everytime I press start feel like I have a chance to open them all up and explore a new experience each time.

Couldn't have said it better. BTW.....my cash just went to a GOT Pro (and I'm loving it).

If you LOVE TWD's theme and art then that might be the way to go......otherwise GOT!

#10 8 years ago

Awesome, thanks.

Based on these responses, I think I've eliminated Spiderman and narrowed down to GOT Pro or TWD Pro.

Leaning towards GOT although I'm going to have to look at a lot of pictures to try and get over the art package.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from ArgabargaJones:

I'm going to have to look at a lot of pictures to try and get over the art package.

It really is better in person.....not great, but better.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

This why I love pinball bc so many great pins to choose from but I really didn't care for got and absolutely love my walking dead premium and its definitely a game that frustrating but rewarding when you get to one of the mini wizard modes. Im a pretty good player and only seen horde once in 800 games . It is on factory settings and outlanes . Stacking bloodbath with both mb and some modes is pretty dang awesome tho even if you dont get to the wizard modes. Its the game that ive played the most since being in the hobby bc its that good to me and glad I went with the premium bc its a keeper . I believe I wld of been let down by the pro. The lightshow and all the extras on the premium really make it amazing .

#13 8 years ago

Spider-Man is probably the best game of the bunch, but I would buy the original version and put the extra money towards a second pin down the line.

#14 8 years ago

Awesome, thanks.
Based on these responses, I think I've eliminated Spiderman and narrowed down to GOT Pro or TWD Pro.
Leaning towards GOT although I'm going to have to look at a lot of pictures to try and get over the art package.

I dunno, I don't think the art package is so bad.....

20160201_191451_(resized).jpg20160201_191451_(resized).jpg

20160201_191406_(resized).jpg20160201_191406_(resized).jpg

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

20160201_191451_(resized).jpg20160201_191406_(resized).jpg

That play field tho ... lol

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

TWD plays nothing like TRON IMO.

Should have never sold the thing. Was between selling that and my TZ. Many regrets!

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

That play field tho ... lol

The playfield? I don't mind GOT's playfield at all....it actually seems fitting.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

20160201_191451_(resized).jpg20160201_191406_(resized).jpg

Nice. I'm actually okay with the playfield, it's the sides and the translite that kill me the most. Where did you get that one?

#20 8 years ago

Should have never sold the thing. Was between selling that and my TZ. Many regrets!

Yeah TRON has that one more game pull to it for sure. Out of your choices Id go with SM. Such a great all around pin.

#21 8 years ago

For me personally, I'd go with GOT pro as the theme pushes it a head of the other pins. TWD pro is probably your best bet overall now that the code is fleshed out People really love SM, but I haven't connected with it all that much. The theme is a detractor and it feels repetitive for some reason.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

The playfield? I don't mind GOT's playfield at all....it actually seems fitting.

Yea the game just doesn't do a great job representing the show at all imo.

#23 8 years ago

I think all are good games and you really cant go wrong with any decision

#24 8 years ago

Just to close out the thread, decided to order the GoT Pro and I'll try to replace the translite with a better one

Thanks for all the advice!

#25 8 years ago

I'm just curious, if you were willing to spend the money on SMVE, why not buy GOTPrem, instead of the Pro?

#26 8 years ago

Just to close out the thread, decided to order the GoT Pro and I'll try to replace the translite with a better one
Thanks for all the advice!

When you get it you won't be bothered to change it. The translite is quite ok in the flesh as is the whole art package. I'm not sure what the fuss is still about with some on the got art package. It's more than an acceptable effort and looks fantastic.
I've owned a TWD pro and a got. If stranded on an island (with power) I'd just take TWD but as far as both lit up they are on par to look at.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Alamo_Pin:

I'm just curious, if you were willing to spend the money on SMVE, why not buy GOTPrem, instead of the Pro?

I'm not a big fan of mini-playfields in general, and I played both at FPF and was quite happy with the Pro.

Going to use the difference to pick up a pin lift table and some other goodies.

#28 8 years ago

My vote is for TWD premium! Awsome code, unique layout & challenging play that makes me think about playing it all day while I'm at work! Also some really cool alternate sound packages available.

#29 8 years ago

Good call! Congratulations!

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#30 8 years ago

The following is an art review from a person with no eyeballs:

Quoted from John1210:

When you get it you won't be bothered to change it. The translite is quite ok in the flesh as is the whole art package. I'm not sure what the fuss is still about with some on the got art package. It's more than an acceptable effort and looks fantastic.

1 month later
#31 8 years ago

I agree good decision. GOT is awesome already and better code updates will only make it better.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 16.00
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 26.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-pro-vs-twd-vs-spiderman-ve and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.