You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

_DSC0812.jpg
_DSC0804.jpg
_DSC0827.jpg
#1 8 years ago

So - I've had GoT Pro setup in my gameroom for about a week now and have put many plays on it. I thought I'd share some thoughts on it since there just aren't many reviews out yet and a lot of people are hungry for more information.

RULES

The game rules are wonderful and diverse with a ton of strategy already baked into the code. Playing each house really makes a difference in your gameplay strategy. Lane and playfield multiplers are AWESOME. The display often shows the current multiplier value for each lane with a series of five "1x" icons at the bottom of the display (not sure how high they go - the most I have seen is 8x)". I won't go through the game rules as they can be found elsewhere. I do love the rules as they are and am looking forward to more callouts and animations, but I don't think there needs to be much more done for the core ruleset. It is very solid for launch code.

LAYOUT

This pin plays fast, for sure. Maybe not quite as fast as IM, but close. Shots are satisfying. Left orbit and left ramp are easiest with the dragon shot being the hardest. The Dragon kicks the ball out at various speeds depending on where the ball is when the solenoid fires - sometime it comes screaming out, sometimes not; it's pretty cool how it varies in speed.

A solid hit on the yellow "gold" standup can lead to quick drains - faster than your eyes can follow sometimes!

Battering ram is a cool shot and I like the dull "thud" that kicks out of the sound system when you land a successful hit. You do have to hit it pretty squarely to actuate the mech up to the door switch, so there is some risk/reward with it. It's an important shot if you plan on turning on the playfield multipliers (which, of course, you want to do).

I am not getting any airballs with the exception of when the drops happen to reset when a ball is on top of them. There really aren't any "clunky" shots or ball hang ups - but there are a lot of ricochets if you don't hit your shots solidly, causing many side drains. Once you get better at making the shots you will experience FAR less outlane drains. Butter smooth gameplay when hitting your shots solid.

SOUND

The SPIKE system has MUCH better sound than the SAM system. The stock speakers sounds much more robust with noticeable separation of stereo sound. I bought one of the those Polk SW10 subwoofers that were recently on sale and it works great for GoT. The music and voice work is fantastic - the Hound did some great callouts that really thunder with a subwoofer attached.

I am a big fan of the series and really enjoy all the voice callouts ripped directly from the show - very reminiscent of the excellent job Stern did with callouts on LOTR.

There are some really good musical scores for each house. Not just instrumentals either - some epic chorus music, too. So far, the main theme song hasn't drove me crazy

LIGHTING

Lighting is just fantastic. The seven RGB LEDs are well utilized during modes and I always know what to shoot for, even when fighting for multiple houses at the same time (the DMD is split in half when fighting for two houses simultaneously, making it very clear how close you are to completing each mode). The RGB LED in the action button is great, too - it is lit the same color as your selected house so you don't forget during gameplay (so, in fact, there are eight RGB LEDs on the pro - not seven).

The insane epileptic flash-bomb sequences ARE over the top, but I dig them. It makes you REALLY want to hit the hurry-ups as fast as you can to shut them off. Obviously some will hate this and some will love it - but I bet this is the direction Stern will be going in the future. Regardless of how a players feels about it, it's really something to behold and gives you the feeling of "hey, that's awesome that these lighting effects are included in the lowly "pro" model

BUGS

Very, very fews bugs in the current code.

The only noticable annoying bug I encountered was during the "mystery" sequence; I purchased "Start Targaryen" at the store. Since the ball was already cued behind the up-post under the dragon, the software was confused (I guess). After I waited about two minutes; a ball search never initiated. I had to pull the glass, stick my finger in the dragon shot and bump the ball upwards towards the switch to register a hit, then the post released and gameplay continued. Odd, though, I wonder if a ball search sequence hasn't been programmed yet?

Zero resets since I installed 1.15 - I had one reset with 1.10.

PRO vs.LE

I would have loved to buy a premium or LE, but I only had enough budget for the Pro. I am not at all dissapointed in that decision (until the hot reviews come out for the LE - my family and I all love it. I really expected the playfield to be kind of bare looking based on the early renders Stern released - but it is not.

I bet the Castle and lighting on the LE will be amazing. The right ramp on the pro is probably the least utilized shot - so I doubt the addition of the Castle upper playfield will slow the speed of GoT LE down too much.

Those worried that too much was cut out on the pro should rest easy - this is a really fun pin! Incredible light show, sound and rules right out of the box. I would say this is my favorite Steve Ritchie pin, at least relative to how I felt about his other titles during their "honeymoon" period.

-PC

#2 8 years ago

Very nice write up! Thanks for taking the time to post. Can't wait to play a GOT

#3 8 years ago

Great stuff - thanks.

Regarding your sub-woofer connection, did you use the headphone out jack on the SPIKE board and run into RCA connections on your sub-woofer?

Is there a new hole in the cabinet to run the cable out to the sub? On S.A.M machines we had to run wires under the small flap at the back of the cabinet base.

Haven't heard much about subs on SPIKE system and I'm looking forward to connecting one eventually.

Cheers

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Esoteric_rt:

Great stuff - thanks.
Regarding your sub-woofer connection, did you use the headphone out jack on the SPIKE board and run into RCA connections on your sub-woofer?
Is there a new hole in the cabinet to run the cable out to the sub? On S.A.M machines we had to run wires under the small flap at the back of the cabinet base.
Haven't heard much about subs on SPIKE system and I'm looking forward to connecting one eventually.
Cheers

I used the simple alligator clip method connected directly to the lugs on the lower cabinet speaker. I thought about using the headphone jack, but didn't have the cables I needed to splice up a rig.

There is not a hole in the cabinet to run the wires. I pulled up one of the staples in the venting port in the rear of the cabinet and slipped the speaker wire through it. There is a plugged hole in the top of the head (for the optional topper wiring) that you could run a wire through simply be removing the plastic cap.

The sub (Polk SW10) will lose the signal if set to "standby" in the line-level input if your volume is too low on the pin. You can either turn it up (YEAH!) or set the sub to "ON" instead of "standby".

Cheers!

#5 8 years ago

Cool thanks for that

#6 8 years ago

Also - it literally took me fifteen minutes to figure out where the ON/OFF toggle switch was on GoT. I knew that it had moved, but I was looking all over the back panel of the backbox. I had to pull the backglass and follow the wires from the power supply. What a boob I am

#7 8 years ago

Easily done, I'm sure most on here would agree that the new switch location is not preferable...

#8 8 years ago

......and where is the new switch location? I've heard it's moved. I'd assume under the backbox by the hinge.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

......and where is the new switch location? I've heard it's moved. I'd assume under the backbox by the hinge.

Correct, on the right hand side

#10 8 years ago

Awesome, thank you for the write up.
Any pics?

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Bingo! On the right side. I read online that it was in a "horrible" location, so I looked at every spot on my pin I considered "horrible". Turns out it is in just a "bad" location - I didn't look in those areas

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from fatbeerdrinker:

Awesome, thank you for the write up.
Any pics?

Thanks - happy to do some writing again! I have a BUNCH of pics - I'll post a link in this thread later when I upload them. Here are a few for now, though.

_DSC0827.jpg_DSC0827.jpg

_DSC0804.jpg_DSC0804.jpg

_DSC0812.jpg_DSC0812.jpg

#13 8 years ago

Yes...you've made me very jealous. And I've started another piggyback thread in honor of your wonderful idea. Thanks for the pics and review!

#14 8 years ago

For the sub on Spike you just need a headphone to RCA cable.

#15 8 years ago

So can an owner chime in and confirm if it's a 6 ball table?

#16 8 years ago

Confirmed - GoT Pro is a 6-ball game. The most I have seen in play is four but you can add a ball to that if you are playing as House Martel.

#17 8 years ago

thanks for the write up, can't wait to get my game.

#18 8 years ago

More game play video is always welcomed

Most of the ones on YouTube have loud music in the background

#19 8 years ago

I wonder why sometimes the lock lights after hitting only one of the green standups? Is this a bug or an 'easy' setting?

I don't know what the difference is between battling two separate houses and 2 houses in alliance. Since there is no penalty for taking on extra, I figure the more the merrier. I haven't found a reason yet for skipping a battle even though the strategy guide talks about it. Maybe the player should lose some gold if they lose a battle?

Coils need to be programmed to disable in switch test since there's no high voltage disable any more. I think that's really strange they did this, but I suppose they save another $2 on the interlock switch.

Rob

#20 8 years ago

You might skip a house to start it right before MB or to stack with a 2nd house to have two modes/houses running at once. Certain ones stack better depending on your skills and choices. The lock is just one standup the first time around. Not sure if it's settings on the machine and/or it gets more difficult each time you need to relight it for the next round of mulitball...

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

For the sub on Spike you just need a headphone to RCA cable.

Yeah - I think I'll order one up and give it a try.

Quoted from Esoteric_rt:

More game play video is always welcomed
Most of the ones on YouTube have loud music in the background

Ooph - that's a tall order with a couple kids running about the house. I'll see what I can do though! In the meantime, here is a TZ video I filmed a long time ago

#22 8 years ago

I played GOT Pro several times yesterday and I have to say how pleasantly surprised I was with how well it played. It just "feels" right. The flow is amazing, the shots are satisfying, and the geometry of the layout is really well done. I felt like I could hit the shots when I wanted to (instead of constantly bouncing off of posts/switches and draining all day) and walked away with a completely different impression of the game. I was in on an LE but backed out after feeling a bit let down by the artwork. It shows better in person and man does it play well. Time will tell (until I can find one to flip but) I can't imagine the LE playing any better to be honest.

1 year later
#23 7 years ago

GOT pro is a current contender for our weekly featured game of the week. If chosen we'll do a tutorial for tournament strategy (simple strategy for people like me that play so-so) then stream about 2 hours of league play all from Arcade Super Awesome.

If you'd like to see us play GOT vote here:

http://tinyurl.com/LSApinball

Or watch Thursdays @ 7p EST at:

http://twitch.tv/boomgo_pinball

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-pro-owners-thread-initial-thoughts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.