Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which do you prefer”

• Game of thrones pro 8 votes
    19%
  • Lord of the rings 34 votes
    81%

(42 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 7 years ago

I have LOTR and GOTLE. LOTR has a little more depth, but GOT has more breadth with the multiple scoring multipliers, WIC hurry-ups, etc. I prefer the way modes are implemented on LOTR - they have a little more shot variety.

Art and audio quality are much better on Spike than Whitestar, but I think Whitestar is more robust and easier to repair yourself. I'm very concerned about how few fuses there are with Spike. My node 1 board failed and it's not even fused! Expensive little board too.

Finally, mods: LOTR supports ColorDMD now, and it looks fantastic. It's easier to mod the audio in Spike, using Pinball Browser. But I've never had the desire to change the LOTR callouts, because they're perfect.

#10 7 years ago

I took the outlane posts out of my LOTR. Long ball times are no longer a problem.

#12 7 years ago

Forgot to mention gameplay. Very similar layouts, but you'll have a lot more stop-and-go with LOTR with the Ring, the Path of the Dead and the Shire. And the Gimli and Ring shots can be frustrating to younger/newer players. I don't have anything negative to say about GOT gameplay, but it's newer to me.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I prefer it because it is more fun to play. But I think the reliability/condition issue is also something that the OP should also consider in comparing a NIB game to something made in 2004.

Disagree. The verdict is still out on Spike. Whitestar is very reliable, and it's easier to change a transistor if one blows. Whitestar has far more circuit protection (fuses), and everything is through-hole so I can work on. I don't even know if anybody does Spike node board repairs yet. It's nice that Spike is modular, but if one node goes out the game is unplayable - so, same result. It's just easier to ship the boards because they're smaller.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

The upper playfield on Premium took all the flow out of game

So, all of the flow in the game is in that one ramp leading to the upper playfield? Interesting.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I was kinda thinking the pro would be much faster for this reason but not really sure because i havent played the pro. not a big fan of mini playfields on anything really. it's seems like an unnecessary add-on. "hey look what I did boss. I jammed this little bottleneck in the back over there. I just did it as a joke but they're going out like that"

GOT has one of the best mini-playfields in pinball (THE best, in my opinion). It's not an add-on; The Prem/LE is the game that Steve Ritchie designed; he deleted it for the Pro.

#28 7 years ago

Going back to the reliability/cost discussion (which I think is a really good one)...

I got curious about the replacement cost of the 10 node boards in GOTLE. The 7 that are available are currently about $1200. If I assume the three Serial LED boards are about $70 each, that takes the cost up to ~$1400. LOTR has 2 boards to implement all of this, at a total cost of $765. This may be kind of academic, since you'd only have to replace all the boards if something catastrophic happened, like a lightning strike.

I agree that connectors get flaky as they age. Old PCBs are surprisingly robust, though. Most of my 80's games are still running their original boards. As long as you avoid battery acid damage and shorting things out, they'll last forever.

I have my fingers crossed for Spike. I love the reduced wiring, and the creative options that it opens up for designers. I hope that diagnosing problems becomes much easier, but I also hope every repair doesn't become "replace the node board".

#34 7 years ago

Optos connections are a common point of failure for all generations of Sterns. Other than one transistor failure on LOTR, I think all of my Stern repairs have been re-soldering wires to optos. They're really reliable.

#37 7 years ago

For me, the upper playfield makes the game play faster. The ball is back to a flipper (an upper one) just as fast as it is on the Pro, and the smaller playfield is of course very fast with the stationary targets, the turnaround (a SR signature) and the exit lanes. It really reminds me of my Black Knight, and I jokingly call it "BK2016".

#39 7 years ago

^^^ This was a big factor for me in picking GOT. I had 3 Gomez pins (LOTR, RFM and JM), 2 Borgs (IM, MET) and no Ritchie. In a large collection, it's a sin not to have at least one Steve Ritchie pin, and GOT checks all the boxes for me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 18.95
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-pro-nib-vs-lotr?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.