(Topic ID: 337699)

GoT pro how good is it? Edit poll added with BKSoR

By rai

10 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What do you prefer?”

• GoT pro 25 votes
      58%
    • BKSoR pro 15 votes
      35%
    • I don’t know 3 votes
      7%

(43 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BC380253-2F2D-4719-A977-C6AD59CA0CFF (resized).png
    D12CA946-9D76-4F67-8237-EC845E7F8B84 (resized).jpeg
    3F82C8DF-3E1B-4C06-AE82-D7968D8013AB (resized).jpeg
    2609111D-D774-4BCB-8599-B9CBC7C94065 (resized).jpeg
    #1 10 months ago

Just saw a for sale ad and was thinking about how I wanted a GoT pro back in the day but never got around to buying one.

I have played them both and actually prefer the pro, I’m not a big fan of the upper PF.

Some people love it and some hate it so it’s got very mixed reviews. Wondering if this is a more rare game (the pro) since I don’t see a lot for sale or was there a lot made with a long production window?

One of my favorite pins is SW is that’s another Dwight game with complicated rules with character selection.

Just curious what’s a good price for a pro with the only mod being the color DMD?

Any tips, is the game still good? My reservation was been since the newer Spike games have the larger display it feels to me like the DMD games should be slightly cheaper even with a color DMD.

Thanks.

#2 10 months ago

Well, the display doesn't make a game good or not, nor does the LCD give a game more value than a DMD game. A colorDMD holds its value and you can usually "tack on" $400 for it, but that's about it.

IMO, if you like SW, I think you'll like GoT. I think it's a better game overall in regards to layout and rules. I've been seeing Pros in the 6-8K range, even though I think 8k is pretty high for this. I think a Pro with a colorDMD would sell pretty easily in the 6k range

I'm one that prefers the Prem. Idk, I like the upper pf. When every shot returns to the flipper, it becomes really one dimensional, but to each their own.

#3 10 months ago

I just recently sold mine, it’s a fun game and not nearly as complex as people make it out to be. It’s more “wide” than anything as the houses all have different benefits, but the rules are pretty standard Stern stuff…hitting X shots to light a mode, spot targets light a lock like most Ritchie games and lock your balls for multiball. There are nuances of course but it’s all pretty straightforward.

With a color DMD probably 5500ish +\-?

I enjoy the game but it wore thin for me as I found myself always playing the same way once I knew which houses I could use to beat blow the score up. Some of the modes are also just death traps and can be frustrating to start and get through because you are shooting a lot of side targets and drop targets and constantly putting the ball out of control.

I still have fun playing it but don’t need to own one.

#4 10 months ago

If you're a good player, the pro is probably a better option, as you can't cheat your way through all the modes on the upper playfield.

If you're more into an impressive looking game with "all the stuff," GOT pro is one of the more lackluster Stern machines in recent memory. Carbon copy Steve Ritchie five-shot layout that he can design in his sleep.

Dwight's code really saves this one for me. So much replayability with all the different houses to choose from. Okay, you beat the game, cool. Now try it with all the other houses. Different scoring approaches with each house as well.

#5 10 months ago

Pro is great, Pro is significantly more difficult to move through the game as the upper playfield helps you complete modes on the prem/le.

Keep in mind they made a big code update in the last couple of years so IMO its a bit underrated too.

#6 10 months ago
    Quoted from yancy:

as you can't cheat your way through all the modes on the upper playfield.

Premiums are for cheaters, ill have to add that to my bash list, ty!

#7 10 months ago
    Quoted from rai:

Just saw a for sale ad and was thinking about how I wanted a GoT pro back in the day but never got around to buying one.
    I have played them both and actually prefer the pro, I’m not a big fan of the upper PF.
    Some people love it and some hate it so it’s got very mixed reviews. Wondering if this is a more rare game (the pro) since I don’t see a lot for sale or was there a lot made with a long production window?
    One of my favorite pins is SW is that’s another Dwight game with complicated rules with character selection.
    Just curious what’s a good price for a pro with the only mod being the color DMD?
    Any tips, is the game still good? My reservation was been since the newer Spike games have the larger display it feels to me like the DMD games should be slightly cheaper even with a color DMD.
    Thanks.

You’re more than welcome to come over and play my pro. It’s for sale I’m about 45 min north of you on I4 in DeLand drop me a pm if interested. Pro is solid premium was a snooze fest until the last code update. It’s pretty good but the pro plays faster kind of like AC/DC pro vs premium.

Regards
    Al

#8 10 months ago

I think GOT pro is a fun game but always found it odd to be playing a game where only half of the shows content is in it. Stern has made a few pins while a show is in production and the biggest downside is that not all of the show's seasons are represented. The game has always felt incomplete IMO due to that.

#9 10 months ago

Pro’s better than the premium.

#10 10 months ago
    Quoted from Deadlander:

You’re more than welcome to come over and play my pro. It’s for sale I’m about 45 min north of you on I4 in DeLand drop me a pm if interested. I have had it since 2015 when I bought it from Curley at LSOG. Pro is solid premium was a snooze fest until the last code update. It’s pretty good but the pro plays faster kind of like AC/DC pro vs premium. Want a pulp fiction and I don’t have room anymore so GOT is for sale.
    Regards
    Al

#11 10 months ago

I’m watching some tutorials now to decide. I know that I liked it when I played on location but I never understood all the rules so I was halfway playing in the dark about some of the strategies but I do like complex code for certain games.

#12 10 months ago

We had a premium and I was not a big fan at all due to the massive playfield covering the left side of the game. I've always said the pro would be the one to find for this game.

#13 10 months ago

If the price is right, imo, =<$6K, then I think it is worth giving it a run. I think the music and callouts are above average, the artwork is average, the variety of game play is above average simply from the ability to play it through so many different houses. Shot layout is below average, it is just a fan layout, toys/mechs are are below average, a battering ram and a dragon kick back, and three drops... (When I say average I don't really have a scientific method for measuring that, just how I feel ).

You've got so many games to choose from I think GOT will hold your interest for a bit, but after several trips to the Iron Throne you may get bored, I know I did, don't think it lasted 6 months, but I have a self imposed 2 pin max and I wanted to play something else.

Pinside says estimated is $6.1-$7.1. For me, north of $7K for this title is a little rich, I'd rather get a new Stern Pro if the money were mine.

#14 10 months ago

Thanks, still thinking about GoT, I’m on the fence if I want to buy something now or wait for the next release cycle to see what’s next.

#15 10 months ago
    Quoted from timtim:

Pro’s better than the premium.

I agree on this. I much prefer the Targaryan shot being the kickback.
    It's a great game with awesome code. Not a standard SR fan layout as it's right up in your face; which can make it punishing at times.
    Rules are absolutely awesome with PF & shot multipliers. Looks & sounds great.
    Timed Super Jackpots are just fantastic

#16 10 months ago
    Quoted from rai:

Thanks, still thinking about GoT, I’m on the fence if I want to buy something now or wait for the next release cycle to see what’s next.

there's no "waiting" in pinball!

#17 10 months ago

I’m curious if people prefer GoT or SoR pro?

Haven’t played too much of either one,
    I’ll make a poll.

#18 10 months ago

I Prefer GOT had black knight and sold it the code did not click for me on that game.

#19 10 months ago

GoT by miles. SOR is pretty boring honestly - when the topper is the best part that's never a great sign.

#20 10 months ago

GOT and SW are my two top games that are never leaving. Such great code on each.

#21 10 months ago
    Quoted from rai:

I’m curious if people prefer GoT or SoR pro?

Oh heavens; not a good match up against GOT.
    GOT is a game of Strategery. BKSOR is a throwback 80s banger.

#22 10 months ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

GOT and SW are my two top games that are never leaving. Such great code on each.

2609111D-D774-4BCB-8599-B9CBC7C94065 (resized).jpeg2609111D-D774-4BCB-8599-B9CBC7C94065 (resized).jpeg

#23 10 months ago
    Quoted from rai:

Thanks.

Do it. Dwight is the Prince of Breadth, and this game is on par, if not better than SW in that aspect.

It’s one of sterns ugliest art packages and Barren playfields; yet, I find it to be their best pin. SW & GOT > Keith Elwin, there I said it. *runs*

#24 10 months ago

Pro all the way. I played LE on location a lot but prefered the pro when playing. The upper just didn't do it for me. chuckwurt should chime in as he put out some great vids on this pin. I picked up a Pro last year.

#25 10 months ago

Still irks my they nurtured the spinner values form the earlier versions, but you can;t have it all.

#26 10 months ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Do it. Dwight is the Prince of Breadth, and this game is on par, if not better than SW in that aspect.
    It’s one of sterns ugliest art packages and Barren playfields; yet, I find it to be their best pin. SW & GOT > Keith Elwin, there I said it. *runs*

Thanks.

I read your review and you said there were some bugs or needs polish. They did a late code update July 2019. I’m curious if you owned the pin after that update or if you know if it did fix some bugs?

#27 10 months ago
    Quoted from rai:

Thanks.
    I read your review and you said there were some bugs or needs polish. They did a late code update July 2019. I’m curious if you owned the pin after that update or if you know if it did fix some bugs?

I sold the game cause of all the bugs. That was prior to the big 2019 update. No I haven’t played it more than a few times since. I’ve had a few GOT PRO’s slip through my fingers and I’ll be on the lookout again for one soon.

#28 10 months ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Wow... that's what is great about Pinball I think... there really is something for everyone out there. Like I couldn't disagree more, but that is an awesome take just the same.

1 week later
    #29 10 months ago

I did get the GoT pro. It’s a lot of fun with the different house abilities and the PF multiplier rules. I like how it has an easy Multiball as well as the more difficult to reach Wall MB and winter has come mode that I’ve not accomplished yet.

It’s too bad it took 4 years before the ultimate code update. I guess a lot of people sold their pin without having the different house ability rules.
    3F82C8DF-3E1B-4C06-AE82-D7968D8013AB (resized).jpeg3F82C8DF-3E1B-4C06-AE82-D7968D8013AB (resized).jpegD12CA946-9D76-4F67-8237-EC845E7F8B84 (resized).jpegD12CA946-9D76-4F67-8237-EC845E7F8B84 (resized).jpeg

#30 10 months ago
    Quoted from rai:

I did get the GoT pro. It’s a lot of fun with the different house abilities and the PF multiplier rules. I like how it has an easy Multiball as well as the more difficult to reach Wall MB and winter has come mode that I’ve not accomplished yet.
    It’s too bad it took 4 years before the ultimate code update. I guess a lot of people sold their pin without having the different house ability rules.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

That really is Stern's MO, release a game, then make it killer with code updates, has happened to a number of titles that didn't land early with the vocal majority and now are highly desirable, I'm looking at you Stranger Things and Guardians!!!

#31 10 months ago
    Quoted from rai:

Quoted from roar:

That really is Stern's MO,

That isn't what happened at all with GOT. Everything was coded and all house abilities there years before that last update.
    I was surprised when it dropped & didn’t even think it was needed

#32 10 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

That isn't what happened at all with GOT. Everything was coded and all house abilities there years before that last update.
    I was surprised when it dropped & didn’t even think it was needed

I was just watching the stream with Jack Danger and Dwight were talking about all the new house stuff.

This was 2019 (4 years after the game was released).

Before that weren’t the house abilities just add a ball for Martel and iron bank for everyone else. Also now you can play as Targarian etc.

Are you saying nothing was added in 2019? I’m confused.

BC380253-2F2D-4719-A977-C6AD59CA0CFF (resized).pngBC380253-2F2D-4719-A977-C6AD59CA0CFF (resized).png

#33 10 months ago

Ahhh....playing as Targaryan was a change wasn't it,; I was dead wrong on that.

I'll have to watch this. All houses had abilities though.

Edit: yeah those are added things but for me not essential. Tyrrell already had the multiplier ability before that update for example.
    Stark dire wolf might be a real one though.

#34 10 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Ahhh....playing as Targaryan was a change wasn't it,; I was dead wrong on that.
    I'll have to watch this. All houses had abilities though.
    Edit: yeah those are added things but for me not essential. Tyrrell already had the multiplier ability before that update for example.
    Stark dire wolf might be a real one though.

Yes I’m talking about the action button abilities. All the houses had some permanent abilities like extra gold for Lannister but now they each have a special action button ability like Lannister can buy PF multiplier just by hitting the action button ( costs gold as well). Greyjoy can steal the conquered houses action ability. Balrathion can light the out-lane ball save etc.

#35 10 months ago
    Quoted from rai:

Yes I’m talking about the action button abilities. All the houses had some permanent abilities like extra gold for Lannister but now they each have a special action button ability like Lannister can buy PF multiplier just by hitting the action button ( costs gold as well). Greyjoy can steal the conquered houses action ability. Balrathion can light the out-lane ball save etc.

Yeah that last update was awesome. Made the game amazing. I agree its a shame people didnt get to play it like that originally when it came out.

I also like the 'Random' house selection option...I will do that when I am playing people at my house.

#36 10 months ago
    Quoted from rai:

Thanks for catching me up.
    Like I said, basically the only game I miss after selling.

I do miss the launch swashbuckler video mode though

#37 10 months ago

I've had a pro since 2017 and I still enjoy playing it. I have a 3 pin collection and both Metallica and GOT have lasted 5 years with the 3rd pin being rotated out. All of the different ways to play the game has kept it in my lineup.

#38 10 months ago

Underrated game. The code is so good.

#39 10 months ago

GoT Pro is banger, some of the best rules around. Real moments with Winter is Coming, Hand of the King, etc.

#40 10 months ago

I have "light" experience with both. I prefer Game of Thrones. Don't get me wrong, I like both games, but I feel like in the home environment there is more to do and explore on Game of Thrones. Watching a tournament player play BKSOR and learning the repeatable shots also kind of ruined it for me. I also think you are more likely to be able to get your money back out of game of thrones down the line.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-pro-how-good-is-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.