Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hey guys - torn here, have pin money burning a hole in my pocket. Still narrowing it down but the two above are the latest likely candidates. I don't even know if I can find a GOT LE, but if not I would look at the Premium.

Truth in advertising, I have not played either game. I am a fan of the Ghostbusters theme - loved that movie - but have not watched any of the GOT series. That said - I have heard that GOT is a great game...but have also heard the same about Ghostbusters.

Is one more of a drain monster than the other? I already have a couple of those - which is why I am leery of GB. I don't mind a challenge, but I also want it to be fun for family and friends, etc. Too much draining and they will lose interest. Thanks for any thoughts.

#2 3 years ago

Let me be the first, Ghostbusters

#3 3 years ago

I haven't played Ghostbusters much, but I find GOT to be horribly boring and even though in my scanty time with GB I got all the standard issues (balls hopping the outlanes, Scoleri standups bricking, being made to play Spooked Librarian fifty times) I enjoyed it 10x as much as the multiple hours I've spent playing GOT. I'm sure once it's modded and tuned in it'll be a blast, especially at home where you have the luxury of really going at it to get through to the end. GOT is kinda charmless and doesn't really do much with the theme.

#4 3 years ago

Any chance Allentown will have a GB Premium?

#5 3 years ago

No brainer for me, I chose a HUO GOTLE just a few days ago. As the thread says, GOT kicks ass! I have several friends who are buying GB and I look forward to playing it a few times a month. But I think GOT has more staying power as a theme, and everything about it - rules, layout, music and light show - are great.

The window may be closing on being able to find a GOTLE for a reasonable price. Buy it and enjoy it for a year, and if you decide you really like GB Premium you won't have any trouble finding a buyer for your GOTLE. Plus, the code is mature now, just needs a little polish and it will be an all-time great.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from toro1966:

Any chance Allentown will have a GB Premium?

No, they won't be out in time. I'd expect Premiums in June. With a tiny bit of luck maybe late May. By Allentown, no.

#7 3 years ago

I own a GOT Premium and recently put in a few hours on a GB Pro at the local pool hall. I like GB but I think GOT has way more staying power with the different houses and modes, etc. I kind of hate the Slimer toy on GB. It seems the ball hits slimer and just dies and then of course the ball goes SDTM!!! Of course I would love to one day own a GB but I have no buyers remorse and glad I spent my money now on GOT!!

#8 3 years ago

GB premium. Better theme integration, superior art + DMD animations, better / more original music, and more interactive toys.

Dragon vs Slimer: The dragon in GOT is neat but doesn't interact with the ball. Slimer does interact with the ball, moves up / down and to different shots on the premium.

Ball lock: Mini sword ball lock on GOT vs large steel ramp on GB that drops under the playfield that is also intergrated with a ball lock + VUK / scoop shot

Other toys: Kicker, battering ram, throne and 4 drop targets on GOT. GB has a peppers ghost Ecto Goggles toy for 3D animations, magnetic slings, two drop targets in the middle of the playfield, the subway ramp + ball lock, 2 scoop shots, 2 captive ball mechs

Molded toys: GOT has the throne. GB has the firehouse, libray and storage facility.

I do think GOT is fun and has good code but for todays crazy NIB prices GB premium offers the better value for what you get.

#9 3 years ago

Let me go against the norm.

Neither.... You are looking at Premiums which will be built for a while longer (I.E. no rush to buy). At this $$$ wait till you can at least play the pro versions of the games first but ideally wait till you can play the game before buying one. If you are going off of theme alone you already answered your question as you stated you prefer GB.

As for drain monsters. Both can be. GOT can be very tame or brutal based off how it is set up (just check TPF and national scores if you don't believe me). GB is super drainy because it doesn't have inlane rubbers (the metal inlane divider makes it hard to nudge the ball to safety) and it has the Trudeau flipper gap. Neither are IM brutal but neither are LOTR like ball time games either.

#10 3 years ago

I have GOT LE and am getting GB LE. Problem solved...

#11 3 years ago

Neither ... TWD Premium

#12 3 years ago

I have a GB premium on order but am going to wait until I can play a LE before I commit 100%. I played a GOT LE quite a bit the other day and it kicks ass! I might end up with both if GB is as good as I am hoping it is....

#13 3 years ago

GB LE gameplay will be live streaming tonight. If you're dead set on one of the two, I would at least see what the gameplay on GB LE looks like with the magnaslings.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

GB premium easily. Far better theme integration, superior art + DMD animations, better music, and way more interactive toys. GB premium is Sterns most loaded game to date and its clear that Stern went all out with it.

Art I'll give you but the DMD animations and Music is VERY debatable. GB is no where near the most loaded game for Stern unless you really want to count plastics as add ons. So it got magnetic slings. Big deal, which is yet to be seen if it is an improvement or not.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Ball lock: Mini sword ball lock on GOT vs a large steel ramp that drops under the playfield that is intergrated with a ball lock + VUK / scoop shot

Both are physical ball locks. One is above the PF the other is below. I really don't get this fascination with subways... Also funny that people say that the Hammer on MET is not a benefit (I personal think it's great) when it is a physical ball lock below the PF. I think you are putting to much into a subway.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Other toys: Kicker, battering ram and single drop target on GOT. GB has a peppers ghost Ecto Goggles toy for 3D animations, magnetic slings, two drop targets in the middle of the playfield and of course the subway ramp + ball lock.

GOT - You forgot an entire mini PF that is very well integrated into the game if you understand it's rules and how to exploit it's use. How about an animated dragon that has a light show that shoots fire at you. Or how about the full color changing inserts? Both of those are pretty cool, yet completely left off.

GB - The pro also has the drop targets on the PF. And how is a subway ramp with a ball lock a toy but the sword on GOT not a toy? Both serve the same function. I'll give you the slimmer toy. Sounds like it can be cool if integrated properly. As far as the 3D aspect. I'm not so sure I'm wanting to wear goggles when I play a game. How will they interact with my glasses too? Can i wear both comfortably or will I have to sacrifice being able to see the ball in order to see a 3d animation? Again, a cool feature but yet to be seen on how cool.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Other toys: Kicker, battering ram and single drop target on GOT. GB has a peppers ghost Ecto Goggles toy for 3D animations, magnetic slings, two drop targets in the middle of the playfield and of course the subway ramp + ball lock.
Molded toys: GOT has the throne...GB has the firehouse, libray and storage facility.

It's just plastic parts. But you also forget to mention that the Throne is interactive as it catches the ball while you chose your mystery.

And before you go and just say I'm hating on GB because I own a GOTLE you should know the only reason I didn't buy a GB Prem is because a good friend of mine is getting one and we try to not buy the same games since we play each others games all the time and if he goes to sell I'll most likely be the buyer unless the code is sub par (doubtful with Dwight). I think GB pro is fantastic but think you are being way to lopsided in your judgements.

OP - This is why you can't ask these questions. You will get people posting answers but not being subjective at all. It's very easy to spot it at least when someone is not being real subjective. In the end, both games have the potential to be great games. GB is yet to be seen though as nobody has played it so all you will get on GB is hype. This is another reason why I suggest waiting until you play.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

OP - This is why you can't ask these questions. You will get people posting answers but not being subjective at all. It's very easy to spot it at least when someone is not being real subjective.

I think you mean objective, and I agree. Everyone has an agenda; trust no one, especially me!

Objective: Code is mature for GOT now, while you may have to wait a while for GB. HUO GOT Prem/LE are available now, so you can avoid the NIB hit. Both are SPIKE and offer all the benefits of that system (better audio, easier maintenance).

Subjective: GB 3D buildings are much nicer than GOT 2D castle (I hope Mezelmods can fix this soon). Trudeau layout is a "rule-breaker" and is a nice change of pace from typical fan layouts. GOT theme will feel more relevant in 5 years time than GB. GB artwork is way too colorful for me.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from toro1966:

Hey guys - torn here, have pin money burning a hole in my pocket. Still narrowing it down but the two above are the latest likely candidates. I don't even know if I can find a GOT LE, but if not I would look at the Premium.
Truth in advertising, I have not played either game. I am a fan of the Ghostbusters theme - loved that movie - but have not watched any of the GOT series. That said - I have heard that GOT is a great game...but have also heard the same about Ghostbusters.
Is one more of a drain monster than the other? I already have a couple of those - which is why I am leery of GB. I don't mind a challenge, but I also want it to be fun for family and friends, etc. Too much draining and they will lose interest. Thanks for any thoughts.

I would pick up a HUO GOT Prem. now since there have been a ton for sale and prices have been decent (low $6K range). In 6 months or a year you can then sell your GOT Premium for about what you paid for it and pick up a HUO GB Prem for around the same price. By that time the code and reliability of Ghostbusters will be better and you will have been able to enjoy GOT in the meantime without having to wait around for code updates and bug fixes.

#17 3 years ago

I'll just throw this out there to add one more choice. I was about to pull the trigger on a GOT Premium, but a GOTLE with blades came up for $800 more. I would have added the Stark armor and Premium blades, reducing the price difference to about $500. So then I had to ask myself: "Is the LE artwork $500 better?", and I decided it was. Opinions are divided on the Premium art (with a lot of folks saying it's too blue). Almost nobody dislikes the LE artwork, so it should be easier to sell.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I think you mean objective, and I agree. Everyone has an agenda; trust no one, especially me!
Objective: Code is mature for GOT now, while you may have to wait a while for GB. HUO GOT Prem/LE are available now, so you can avoid the NIB hit. Both are SPIKE and offer all the benefits of that system (better audio, easier maintenance).
Subjective: GB 3D buildings are much nicer than GOT 2D castle (I hope Mezelmods can fix this soon). Trudeau layout is a "rule-breaker" and is a nice change of pace from typical fan layouts. GOT theme will feel more relevant in 5 years time than GB. GB artwork is way too colorful for me.

you do know that ecto Googles are just a name? You dont actually have wear Googles or anything at all to see the peppers ghost effect

#19 3 years ago

If you are a fan of the movie ..... GB is a no brainer

Both fun games, but GB wins out because of the artwork and call outs.

GOT does seem like a game that has to be owned to fully appreciate all the different strategies.

#20 3 years ago

Never played GB yet, but I'm going for a GOT Premium which I have played and loved. GB is probably great and I can't wait to play it but I prefer the GOT theme and layout. I also think that so many GBs will sell that it won't be incredibly hard to find a used one in a year or so.

I'm also buying my GOT new, because right now the prices people are asking for used are only a few hundred dollars lower than NIB, and I'd rather have the warranty. Plus, I'm using a new credit card with an 18-month interest free payoff period and it delivers 2% cash back, which essentially lowers the total price by another hundred bucks.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

you do know that ecto Googles are just a name? You dont actually have wear Googles or anything at all to see the peppers ghost effect

Think you meant to quote me. If that is the case, that's cool. I thought I had read that the use of 3D type glasses were needed. I admittedly haven't been following the threads closely as I'm just planning on waiting to see it when my friend gets his game.

#22 3 years ago

Neither seems worth the money.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Think you meant to quote me. If that is the case, that's cool. I thought I had read that the use of 3D type glasses were needed. I admittedly haven't been following the threads closely as I'm just planning on waiting to see it when my friend gets his game.

Yeah misquoted sorry, but yes no 3d glasses are needed

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What do you think they're worth?

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from toro1966:

I have never seen an episode of GOT, but the game is amazing in my opinion. I play it differently every time. Each house has different advantages/disadvantages, meaning, I may pick a house to get the add-a-ball feature for MBs but it's a disadvantage bringing that house into Hand of the King mini wizard mode because each shot now will have to be shot twice. Theme wise, if you like dragons and fantasy, it's awesome. The super jackpot callout rocks!

Waiting for my GB, but the movie is classic. The theme is lighter with humor involved. The game looks to be fun and the reports here on the pro are encouraging. Maybe watch the Dead Flip stream tonight or later when you get a chance to see the LE gameplay.

#26 3 years ago

Thanks everyone. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for I definitely plan on looking at the GB game play tonight. Where is it being streamed from (site)?

Are there any NIB GOTLEs still available? I would prefer to buy NIB. Thanks!

#27 3 years ago

I'm sure here: https://www.twitch.tv/dead_flip

May be on Stern's site as well.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

What do you think they're worth?

What somebody is willing to pay I guess. But it won't be me. I don't care for licensed themes of this nature. They get old fast.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from toro1966:

Are there any NIB GOTLEs still available? I would prefer to buy NIB. Thanks!

Automated or GAP would be most likely to still have them in stock; check with them first. But I think you can trust the guys selling their HUO GOTLE's on Pinside now (if they'd post some pics).

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I don't care for licensed themes of this nature. They get old fast.

Can't wait to get one of these HUO in 2yrs from now.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Can't wait to get one of these HUO in 2yrs from now.

You do have to wait But maybe not 2 years. I'm saving about $700 buying HUO on my GOTLE, only 4 months old.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

You do have to wait But maybe not 2 years. I'm saving about $700 buying HUO on my GOTLE, only 4 months old.

True - but I love that NIB experience! What's the going discounted price for a GOTLE NIB?

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from toro1966:

True - but I love that NIB experience! What's the going discounted price for a GOTLE NIB?

PM sent

#34 3 years ago

Thanks!

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from toro1966:

Truth in advertising, I have not played either game. .

Advice 1: Go play them before deciding.

Advice 2: Wait for the GB code to be finished

#wheresthecode

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from toro1966:

Be prepared to pay close to $8K.

Quoted from o-din:

Quoted from o-din:

What somebody is willing to pay I guess. But it won't be me. I don't care for licensed themes of this nature. They get old fast.

Was the thread title misleading for you? Curious why you felt the need to come into a thread asking which one the OP would enjoy more just to say you don't like either. If you have nothing of value to add maybe you shouldn't open the thread and should refrain from posting. This site is supposed to be helpful and you spreading your negativity is the opposite of what the site was designed for.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Was the thread title misleading for you? Curious why you felt the need to come into a thread asking which one the OP would enjoy more just to say you don't like either. If you have nothing of value to add maybe you shouldn't open the thread and should refrain from posting. This site is supposed to be helpful and you spreading your negativity is the opposite of what the site was designed for.

Was the thread title misleading? No. How bout a more positive response-

Spend $16000 and get both. These are state of the art pinball machines with epic themes that will never get old. If I had $32,000 to burn, I would get two of each.

#38 3 years ago

And never pay more than $500 for an EM.

Just messing with you O-din...

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Be prepared to pay close to $8K.

Yep. I was lucky enough to find a HUO one about a 700 mile round-trip from me. I'll save about a dollar a mile.

#40 3 years ago

Then I still don't get how either of those responses helps to answer the OP's questions. He asked which one was preferred. The answer of neither is counterproductive towards the OP's need and advising that neither are worth the cost is as well.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

And never pay more than $500 for an EM.
Just messing with you O-din...

I try not to buy crappy EMS either. That's what you usually get for $500. Although a $900 pallet of three is due to arrive soon.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Then I still don't get how either of those responses helps to answer the OP's questions. He asked which one was preferred. The answer of neither is counterproductive towards the OP's need and advising that neither are worth the cost is as well.

Relax and stop worrying. You're gonna give yourself an ulcer.

It's only pinball. It's not like he's buying a car.

Not too many have had a chance to play GB premium anyway.

#43 3 years ago

I'm glad I'm finally getting an LE, so I can get off my high horse about how they cost too much. Believe me, I was right there with O-din until I played my friend's GOTLE.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 26.50
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
High Bridge, NJ
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kansas City, MO
Machine - For Sale
Steele, ND
$ 25.00
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 199.99
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 22.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside