• Game of thrones premium 20 votes
    34%
  • Star Trek premium 36 votes
    61%
  • Save money and buy BM '66 3 votes
    5%

(59 votes)

#1 7 years ago

I'm about to purchase either Game of Thrones premium or a Star Trek premium and looking for comparative opinions good or bad. I really like the layouts and themes of both tables. I hear ST gets repetitive after time and GOT has orbit issues out of box. Which game do you guys prefer out of the two?

#2 7 years ago

I own GOT Premium. I love it. My wife loves it. I'll go weeks without playing but when I come back to it, I always want more. Mine will be in my collection a long time. I'm pretty sure my wife won't ever let me get rid of it.

ST Premium is an awesome game too, but not as good as GOT. I'd personally go GOT. I do have the orbit issue but it only pops up some times. Not enough to bother me.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

I'm about to purchase either Game of Thrones premium or a Star Trek premium and looking for comparative opinions good or bad. I really like the layouts and themes of both tables. I hear ST gets repetitive after time and GOT has orbit issues out of box. Which game do you guys prefer out of the two?

I own both and I don't think you can go wrong with either. Star Trek Premium will have the nicer bling.

#4 7 years ago

(Puts on flame proof suit, just my personal opinion here.)

Neither, get a game that's not middling. Star Trek gets boring, but maybe not as boring as the upper playfield on GOT. Neither game is worth the NIB money.

Haven't missed my Star Trek Premium even once since I sold it, would never have bought GOT in the first place.

Buy a Metallica instead if you want a NIB, it's the last great game Stern made.

#5 7 years ago

I had GOT for a year and I really enjoyed it. I fixed my orbits pretty easily by making the holes in the divertor mounting plate larger and pushing it forward.

I recently got rid of it to get a STLE, which I'm pretty in love with. GOT has more variety and longer ball times, but ST is a really fast smooth shooting game with tons of combo opportunities. Both have outstanding lighting effects and generic PF artwork. GOT has much better multiballs. I did feel like the upper PF w/ the present software is fairly useless.

ST is repetitive if you stick with the tier one missions, but once you start playing better and plowing through the tier two and three missions things really start to get interesting. My biggest problem with GOT is it doesn't have a warp ramp or laser beams that shoot out of the apron

It's a tough call, in your lineup I'd go for ST since you already have a complex game with longer ball times. But you really can't go wrong with either one!

#6 7 years ago

I own an ST Premium and have played a GoT LE quite a bit and much prefer ST.

GoT is the ONLY Stern that I would actually recommend purchasing the Pro over the Premium/LE model. I find the upper playfield to be more of a negative than a positive due to it visually obstructing shots and having limited supporting code.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

I sort of mentioned this in your other thread. But, if youre after overall experience (i.e. theme integration, lighting, visuals, sounds, etc...) go ST PREM. If you like scoring, strategy, and fantastic rulesets but want to give up the theme story telling and sound integration, then go GOT.

ST PRO vs GOT PRO = GOT wins
ST PREM vs GOT PREM = ST wins

in my opinion.

As for rules repetition for ST. On the surface, it can seem like that - a lot of how Metallica can be perceived as bash targets a bajillion times to progress through the game. But, there are other strategies that can really mix up ST if you dig in deep. Overall, i think the biggest thing missing from ST are good rules associated with the warp ramp. It is single handily the best shot in pinball but has very little rules associated with it. They needed to add more dynamics to the warp like allowing each ramp shot (per ball) to increase all scoring by +10/20/30/40/50% - capping at 50% so 5 warp shots in one ball would maximize your scoring for the remainder of the ball. Additionally, there's no incentives to hitting the warp ramp after starting double scoring - rather, they could add a 10 second booster to the double scoring timer for every 3 warps while double scoring is active.

Anyway, ST Theme and integration of overall visuals, sounds, experience is top notch while rules and progression has holes in it. On the flip side, GOT is completely opposite, the overall theme integration is weak and the sound package has holes in it, but the rules are over the top next level. Pick your poison.

#8 7 years ago

I own a GOT Premium, but I'd love own a ST Premium someday, too. GOT is great, but its ruleset is so complex that it's not a game you can really just go out and start shooting stuff around. Even after a year, there's still a lot about it I don't understand. I also kind of miss having the open playfield. ST Premium doesn't look as good as GOT, but it's the kind of game where you can get immediate gratification more easily, i.e., you can forget about a mode and just concentrate on hitting the Vengeance money shot to start the multiball.

#9 7 years ago

GoT is definitely a game you need to approach with the right frame of mind - if you're not involved with the theme, then it'll feel much more abstract than ST does. I also keep hearing about its 'deep' ruleset, and I'm sure it is to the tournament players scraping every point they can out of it. Playing it casually, it doesn't *feel* deep though; essentially boiling down to 'get the houses, get the multipliers, stack everything during multiball and keep hitting the battering ram'. Star Trek feels like there's a lot more to actually see and do.

#10 7 years ago

I'll also add; For a 2 pin lineup with GB being the other pin; I'd definitely go ST. Being a fan of the new movies, STLE was the most fun I've had on a pin on a consistent basis in a small lineup than any of my other top 5 games. And yes, I do miss it

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Neither, get a game that's not middling. Star Trek gets boring, but maybe not as boring as the upper playfield on GOT. Neither game is worth the NIB money.
Haven't missed my Star Trek Premium even once since I sold it, would never have bought GOT in the first place.

Have a MET pro here now, its a great game full of multiball bliss but i get bored after 1 good game on it. My best scores on it are only 500k though.

Quoted from Eskaybee:I sort of mentioned this in your other thread. But, if youre after overall experience (i.e. theme integration, lighting, visuals, sounds, etc...) go ST PREM. If you like scoring, strategy, and fantastic rulesets but want to give up the theme story telling and sound integration, then go GOT.
in my opinion.
As for rules repetition for ST. On the surface, it can seem like that - a lot of how Metallica can be perceived as bash targets a bajillion times to progress through the game. But, there are other strategies that can really mix up ST if you dig in deep. Overall, i think the biggest thing missing from ST are good rules associated with the warp ramp. It is single handily the best shot in pinball but has very little rules associated with it. They needed to add more dynamics to the warp like allowing each ramp shot (per ball) to increase all scoring by +10/20/30/40/50% - capping at 50% so 5 warp shots in one ball would maximize your scoring for the remainder of the ball. Additionally, there's no incentives to hitting the warp ramp after starting double scoring - rather, they could add a 10 second booster to the double scoring timer for every 3 warps while double scoring is active.
Anyway, ST Theme and integration of overall visuals, sounds, experience is top notch while rules and progression has holes in it. On the flip side, GOT is completely opposite, the overall theme integration is weak and the sound package has holes in it, but the rules are over the top next level. Pick your poison.

Sounds like your saying get a ST premium and a GOT pro which im considering. I have played GOT LE decent amount but not enough to see how thin the upper playfield code is.

Does the ST soundtrack with all the sound effects get annoying for anybody? Ive only played the pro and its always in arcades where you cant hear the games. Also is there any mods to get rid of the asteroid flashers or are they fine once you play the game.

#12 7 years ago

That's a very tough call. In my opinion, they are both excellent games. I recently sold my STLE to fund a GoT LE. ST shoots better, but the ruleset is better on GoT. It definitely doesn't feel nearly as much like "chopping wood" as ST does. Either way, you can't go wrong. Ritchie is the man!!!

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I'll also add; For a 2 pin lineup with GB being the other pin; I'd definitely go ST. Being a fan of the new movies, STLE was the most fun I've had on a pin on a consistent basis in a small lineup than any of my other top 5 games. And yes, I do miss it

I rotate out games every 3 months from a friend. I keep 3 pin lineup because of space. Have had LOTR, XMEN LE, and now have a MET pro. I think im going to grab a ST premium now and get some time on a GOT pro before making a GOT decision. Played a Pro only a few times and initially liked the Pro more so your opinion holds alot for me, thanks!

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

I think im going to grab a ST premium now and get some time on a GOT pro before making a GOT decision. Played a Pro only a few times and initially liked the Pro more ...

I initially liked the pro more as well, but as I spent more time with the premium/LE I grew to prefer it. Yes, the upper playfield rules could use some tweaking, but I still think it's a nice addition to the game. You not only get an extra multiball that doesn't exist on the pro, but it also makes the modes more fun because you can add time and collect castles. On top of that, you have a much better light show on the premium/LE.

#15 7 years ago

The light show on ST premium is amazing!! And as others have said I think GOT is too complex at least for me. I have tried to like that game many times and just don't. So I would say ST premium!!!

#16 7 years ago

Sold ST to get GOT. Couldn't be happier. I don't miss my ST at all.

#17 7 years ago

GOT pro

#18 7 years ago

I own GOT premium and I personally like it more than star trek but star trek is also a great game but the reason I like Got more is because I really like the blue artwork and the theme more than stark trek. I also like GOT more than star trek because I think It has more features like the mini playfield and the dragon than star trek. But both games are great you cannot go wrong with either one.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

This definitely!

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from sckurk:

This definitely!

Don't get the GoT Premium. The pro is much better. If you for some reason won't buy a pro, go Star Trek Premium. GoT Premium isn't as good as the pro version.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Ritchie is the man!!!

Usually. For the amount of time he gets on his games, the layouts on these two are pretty generic & he dropped the ball on interesting mechs & toys....and, he lets questionable art direction get through. Plus, he needs Lyman to bring it all home.

Spider-Man (original) and AC/DC are still the go-to Stern Ritchie games IMO.

#22 7 years ago

I've owned GOT premium and STLE.

I have very few good things to say about GOT premium. Mini pf is boring. Pin doesn't shoot well (especially the botched left loop), and I personally didn't care much for the ball stopping as much as it did to allow you to choose your house/battle.

Regarding STLE (and premium), it shoots excellent, and the warp ramp never gets old. Theme integration is pretty good, as I love the sound effects. That said, I got tired of it pretty quickly because the modes felt very similar and it became a bit of a grind (wood chopping).

The rules have been changed by Dwight Sullivan since I sold my STLE, and while I've played it a bit since then, it probably hasn't been enough to have a very good understanding of how the new rules with the badges work. There's a part of me that wants to give this pin another shot, but I am still concerned that my impressions regarding the ruleset would still prevent me from enjoying it for very long.

Frankly, I think you should consider going the pro route if you go with GOT. The pro takes away two of the main negatives that I had regarding the pin: the mini pf and the borked left orbit.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's what the op wants personal opinions..... but he wants them on either 2 pins or possibly the pro version like robs impression. He's spot on. There is absolutely no point in mentioning any other pin if he hasn't asked for it. There are a million other pins out there if you want to throw them into the mix. But someone always has to do it.

I would lean towards st here. Got I would go a pro. The st is a brilliant package and the rules aren't so repetitive anymore. Plus it's on it's last run so if you want a new pin I would go that way or you will be going used. Also the st premium package is one of the last real premium packages Stern put out. After that it's the black powder coat on the premium. etc

2 reasons also not to get Metallica. It does get boring like any pin especially if the music is not to your liking. And it will be available for a long time to come. I had a pro for a year. Will never be buying another one it got so tedious.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Have a MET pro here now, its a great game full of multiball bliss but i get bored after 1 good game on it. My best scores on it are only 500k though.

You say your BEST scores on Metallica are 500,000? I'm afraid to ask what your worst scores are.

#25 7 years ago

I can't stop playing GOTLE, it's easily the best game I own. My STLE is buttery smooth, but you just shoot flashing lights for flashing lights sake (still waiting on better code integration).

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from kst8cat:

You say your BEST scores on Metallica are 500,000? I'm afraid to ask what your worst scores are.

Whoops i ment 500 million. Only had it a few weeks so far, i think i can hit billion on it soon.

#27 7 years ago

ST easy. The warp ramp is one of the best shots in pinball.

#28 7 years ago

Get the GOT Pro and then you will have money left over to put toward another pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsford, NY
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-premium-vs-st-premium?hl=fxdwg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.