4%
  • GoT is too recent to know to make a fair comparison 43 votes
    47%

(91 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Stern-WWE-Pro-Detail3-22a.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I'm planning to get one of these games, they're available at the same price NIB from the same seller, so the only deciding factor is which game is best... Having never seen either of them, I'm very much in the dark as to which to go for... I've read the thread about how great TWD is now it has a code update, so I was very tempted to get this, but GoT looks to have a very interesting playfield, especially with the upper playfield which looks quite involved!! Not even sure how many GoTs there are out there for people to have opinions about...

Anyway, opinions on which game is best and why are greatly appreciated... and why hat have a poll

#2 8 years ago

Right now, there is NO QUESTION that TWD is the better machine. GoT will take a while for code to mature. It may end up being superior, but if history teaches us anything... It could be a year plus before code is done.

Play both before you pull the trigger on either.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Play both before you pull the trigger on either.

Would love to, but unfortunately where I live, the only chance to play 'em is to buy 'em!!

#4 8 years ago

At this point TWD is WAY better.

#5 8 years ago

Then TWD it is. Maybe a year from now GoT will be the answer. Right now... TWD by a LONG shot. Not a fair comparison due to code. GoT looks like it could be a winner, but right now it's a newborn!

#6 8 years ago

TWD is a huge drain monster...but my skill is just this side of sucks...

#7 8 years ago

Every twd I play, one ball drains or requires slap save out of the pops. Bad design. Shame, it's pretty cool other than that. That whole area is too closed off. Orbit is not satisfying

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Every twd I play, one ball drains or requires slap save out of the pops. Bad design. Shame, it's pretty cool other than that. That whole area is too closed off. Orbit is not satisfying

The premium/LE doesn't do this and there is an easy fix for the pop drains on the pro. Orbit is very satisfying, just add a sticker on the orbit guide and it performs like any other orbit shot.

#9 8 years ago

Right now even with early code the easy choice for me would be GOT. I much prefer GOT layout it had more backhandable shots and much better flow. I'm not a fan of the two super long ramps and huge bash target so close to flippers on TWD. I know some love it but TWD layout is just not my cup of tea.

GOT on the other hand has some great flowing shots that are open but punish you for errant shots with all the targets that will fire the ball back down towards the flippers. I honestly prefer to have GOT pro over TWD premium/LE. GOT code also has some unique and intriguing aspects going on. Can't wait to see what they do in future updates.

#10 8 years ago

My tf has longer ball times in the pops than my TWD and the left orbit is a gas,right is very tough and blazing fast if made,we will see about got in time but right now not a contest from what I can see

#11 8 years ago

I'm going through this exact same struggle- which one for Christmas.

Assuming the themes have a similar attraction, and accepting that the code is just not "apples to apples" yet for comparison purposes, the ONLY thing left to think about if a choice has to be made, and it has to be made NOW is whether GOT's playfield layout is starting out fundamentally more entertaining than TWD.

I'm remembering the disappointment in TWD's playfield when if first came out, nevermind the code. We know that TWD code has since made up for that, and, frankly, reversed the trend and created a new love for TWD. I have not heard nearly as much dislike for GOT's layout debut, just more of a debate over which version is faster/ slower. So.... if code can salvage an inferior playfield.... it looks pretty good for a GOT... unless Stern snatches defeat out of the jaws of victory with bad code updates. ha

#12 8 years ago

No one knows what the code on GOT will be like when the premium is released. If you like TWD buy it now and wait 8 months and buy a GOT premium when you know what you are getting.

#13 8 years ago

I played a GOT pro the other day and it was impressive, TWD is better right now due to code but GOT is a contender for sure and that's based on the pro. Dots definitely go to TWD and that's not going to change regardless of updates.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from jkleinnd:

....the ONLY thing left to think about if a choice has to be made, and it has to be made NOW is whether GOT's playfield layout is starting out fundamentally more entertaining than TWD.
I'm remembering the disappointment in TWD's playfield when if first came out, nevermind the code. We know that TWD code has since made up for that, and, frankly, reversed the trend and created a new love for TWD. I have not heard nearly as much dislike for GOT's layout debut, just more of a debate over which version is faster/ slower. So.... if code can salvage an inferior playfield.... it looks pretty good for a GOT... unless Stern snatches defeat out of the jaws of victory with bad code updates. ha

Neither playfield will be "better" overall as this is a completely subjective measurement, and different people will have different opinions on which machine they prefer.

I find there is nothing wrong with TWD's playfield design. And pinside blew this way out of proportion, as often happens here. Great code cannot make a bad shooting pin or bad design become great shooting. It's just a convenient excuse. There has to be a good playfield layout if coding makes the machine stand out. Lyman called the PF design his best one yet. The playfield design got a bad rep on pinside early on. The culprits ended up being people with minimal play experience (typically some games on location), poorly set-up machines (proper levelling is important), as well as people who don't like machines with significant drains or faster ball times.
'
'

TWD can drain a lot, but there can be a lot of longer ball times as well. I recommend people watch the youtube video recently made with Jack Danger, Lyman, et al. shooting a TWD Prem. You'll see some long and entertaining ball times, as well as short ones. TWD actually offers a large range of play times, the biggest spread I've seen in a game. The PF design may not be everyone's cup of tea (their preference in style), but it obviously isn't bad.
'
'

As for TWD versus GOT, its going to depend on your personal preference. They play notably differently. So there is no better or best OP.

Instead, you need to figure out what type of machine you like to play and which one better fits that style.

GOT is having longer ball times from feedback. I'd expect TWD to punish poor play much more so with drains, but this tends to make a lot of people enjoy it more, it rewards great play, and it contributes to a just-one-more-game feel.

Of note, TWD is coded by Lyman. GOT is coded by Dwight Sullivan. This is important, but also dependent on personal preference. A few people don't like Lyman coded games, while most consider him one of the top two coders in pinball, if not the best.

I am very interested in the GOT LE/Prem. I am considering adding one to my collection as I think it will complement TWD very nicely being a notably different type of play. I very much like the idea of having pins with contrasting playing styles in a collection.

I think GOT will end up being a great game, but it's a guess at this time as to how how good since coding is a long way off from being done. And code is important. Very important.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from jkleinnd:

I'm going through this exact same struggle- which one for Christmas.
Assuming the themes have a similar attraction, and accepting that the code is just not "apples to apples" yet for comparison purposes, the ONLY thing left to think about if a choice has to be made, and it has to be made NOW is whether GOT's playfield layout is starting out fundamentally more entertaining than TWD.

This is true. GOT is an unknown. What if GOT is like stern Star Trek? Great layout, awesome flow, shittiest and most repetitive code ever. Code can also bring a game way down as well as bring it up. We will see what happens with GOT. I hope the code turns out great because I would like to own one, one day.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

Neither playfield will be "better" overall as this is a completely subjective measurement, and different people will have different opinions on which machine they prefer.
I find there is nothing wrong with TWD's playfield design. And pinside blew this way out of proportion, as often happens here. Great code cannot make a bad shooting pin or bad design become great shooting. It's just a convenient excuse. There has to be a good playfield layout if coding makes the machine stand out. Lyman called the PF design his best one yet. The playfield design got a bad rep on pinside early on. The culprits ended up being people with minimal play experience (typically some games on location), poorly set-up machines (proper levelling is important), as well as people who don't like machines with significant drains or faster ball times.
Watch the youtube video recently made with Jack Danger, Lyman, et al. shooting a TWD Prem. You'll see some long and entertaining ball times, as well as short ones. TWD actually offers a large range of play times, the biggest spread I've seen in a game. The PF design may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it obviously isn't bad.
'
'
As for TWD versus GOT, its going to depend on your personal preference. They play notably differently. So there is no better or best.
Instead, you need to figure out what type of machine you like to play and which one better fits that style.
GOT is having longer ball times from feedback. I'd expect TWD to punish poor play much more so with drains, but this tends to make a lot of people enjoy it more, it rewards great play, and it contributes to a just-one-more-game feel.
Of note, TWD is coded by Lyman. GOT is coded by Dwight Sullivan. This is important, but also dependent on personal preference. A few people don't like Lyman coded games, while other's consider him the best coder in pinball.
I am very interested in the GOT LE/Prem. I am considering adding one to my collection as I think it will complement TWD very nicely being a notably different type of play. I very much like the idea of pins with contrasting playing style in a collection.

This is correct not to mention I can't remember the last pin to get good reviews on pinside right out of the gate. Everything sucks to pinside when released, then does a 180 a few months after it is actually released.

#17 8 years ago

A bar I play at has TWD-pro and GOT-pro right next to each other. TWD is slower paced and you have a lot of balls floating down from the top or right side. GOT is faster paced, flows and plays smooth where you can get into a good rhythm. I personally am buying GOT and I'm not interested in TWD.

#18 8 years ago

GOT wins on the fact that is actually has original character show audio and one of the shows actors doing custom callouts. TWD has neither and instead a random person is directing the player.

TWD has greatly improved due to recent code updates but I still can't get over the games layout (poor design on right side in my opinion) and the missed opportunity of having the large prison "toy" only being a giant bash toy. The prison toy on TWD premium should have been a multi feature toy such as a swinging bash toy and ball lock.

Overall GOT's premium layout, features and use of licensed show audio / character likeness offer more variety and value then TWD premium.

#19 8 years ago

Dang, you have a GOT in a Denver bar already? When are they arriving in northern Cal (in the wild)?

#20 8 years ago

GoT code feels quite good and polished right now. This one will not need 8 months to know. I've already been to two mini wizards modes and everything feels complete this far. There is a lot of strategy in the game so far. I do think twd is slightly better due to Lyman's code being pretty well fleshed out for bug rewards and scoring.

#21 8 years ago

Don't buy a game based on what it may become in 12 months due to code. Buy the one that is better now. You can always pickup the other one when complete. For that reason TWD.

#22 8 years ago

Thanks for all the comments, very interesting reading!! So is there a mega-thread on GoT for additonal insight (couldn't find one using the search function)...

Quoted from dzoomer:

Of note, TWD is coded by Lyman. GOT is coded by Dwight Sullivan.

I know I should know this, but what games have Lyman and Dwight coded?? I know Lyman did AC/DC... but that's as far as my knowledge goes...

Interesting that the 'tough call' options have GoT in the lead, but in the 'no brainer' area, TWD wins...

#23 8 years ago

Notable recent excellent Lyman games: SM , Met , AC/DC, TWD

#24 8 years ago

And which games did Dwight do?

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Notable recent excellent Lyman games: SM , Met , AC/DC, TWD

Didn't Lyman finish Tron off too?

#27 8 years ago

A few lists for DS here, with explanation.

http://mypinballblog.blogspot.ca/

#28 8 years ago

TWD was a must buy for me on theme, until I played it. I'll give it another whirl at some point, but as much as I love the show, I didn't care for the gameplay.

While I love GOT show too, I was not interested in the game based on the early images, until I played it. GOT Pro was really awesome! I'm going to get a Premium at some point.

It comes down to your preferences, but I found TWD really frustrating and GOT really fun.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Didn't Lyman finish Tron off too?

I've heard mention of him on Tron , which is a great game too. Doesn't seem to have the coding flair of the others, but note-worthy.

OP: Sorry i don't know much about dwight.

#30 8 years ago

always thought TWD was a monster 'bash game, with some nice ramp combos involved.' the code is super deep now as well +1.

GOT has no magnets ad VUKs and is really a fun combo machine.

I enjoy both, but GOT just has waaaaay too much going on that makes it a players machine #1 over TWD

#31 8 years ago

Picked up a TWDLE on the weekend. Needed something to keep me occupied til GoT is released.
It's still in the honeymoon phase, but right now, I'm in no rush for GoT.
The rules on Wa
King Dead are unbelievable.
The modes are fun.
The dots are my favourite so far on any pin.
Get Walking Dead, and don't look back.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Picked up a TWDLE on the weekend. Needed something to keep me occupied til GoT is released.
It's still in the honeymoon phase, but right now, I'm in no rush for GoT.
The rules on Wa
King Dead are unbelievable.
The modes are fun.
The dots are my favourite so far on any pin.
Get Walking Dead, and don't look back.

Let's see if this pin beats the AC/DC record for you. I doubt it, but I hope it out lasts the 5 days you had Full Throttle
Ps. Please don't tell me to go eat a dick

#33 8 years ago

Let's see if this pin beats the AC/DC record for you. I doubt it, but I hope it out lasts the 5 days you had Full Throttle
Ps. Please don't tell me to go eat a dick

I still have ACDC! Maybe I need to only buy games coded by Lyman in the future?
Now go eat a...

Seriously though, I was going to contact you to discuss TWD rules. I have most things figured out, but still haven't got everything understood yet.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I still have ACDC! Maybe I need to only buy games coded by Lyman in the future?
Now go eat a...
Seriously though, I was going to contact you to discuss TWD rules. I have most things figured out, but still haven't got everything understood yet.

Eskaybee is the guy to talk to about that. He is a damn fountain of knowledge on the matter.

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/eskaybee

#35 8 years ago

I would get TWD now. The code is almost done. Play it for a year and then grab GOT if you like where the code is then.

#36 8 years ago

It's an easy choice, which pin did Lyman do the code for?

And just about any pin for that matter with Lyman.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's an easy choice, which pin did Lyman do the code for?
And just about any pin for that matter with Lyman.

If Lyman were to remake the rules on WWE would you buy one?

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If Lyman were to remake the rules on WWE would you buy one?

Hell yeah! Or should I say, oh yeah!

Oh wait I thought you said WWFRR. Stern WWE, hell no!

#39 8 years ago

Hell yeah! Or should I say, oh yeah!
Oh wait I thought you said WWFRR. Stern WWE, hell no!

This one!

Stern-WWE-Pro-Detail3-22a.jpgStern-WWE-Pro-Detail3-22a.jpg

I haven't actually played one yet. If I saw it out on route I'd drop a couple quarters to try it though. The theme basically guarantees that I would never own it, no matter who programmed it. But it seems to be a total bomb, and everyone I know who has played it has called it terrible. So could someone like Lyman save it? Or are there some things even good code can't fix?

#40 8 years ago

Do NOT question the genius that goes by the name "Lyman".

Seriously, people wonder what innovations Stern has produced in the past 20 years?
This guy.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This one!
Stern-WWE-Pro-Detail3-22a.jpg
I haven't actually played one yet. If I saw it out on route I'd drop a couple quarters to try it though. The theme basically guarantees that I would never own it, no matter who programmed it. But it seems to be a total bomb, and everyone I know who has played it has called it terrible. So could someone like Lyman save it? Or are there some things even good code can't fix?

I haven't played one either but I heard on the pro version every ramp shot goes to the upper playfield and that sucks ass! But on the LE version there is a diverter that keeps the ball out of the upper playfield most of the time and it is a much better experience. So maybe the LE is worth a try?

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

has called it terrible

played it, it's terrible

#43 8 years ago

Can't really speak about the Premiums but I played TWD Pro and GoT Pro.

My preference is for GoT but it's a question of taste. Got has the same type of flow as ST. Some TWD shots are tighter. Relatively long ball times on GoT. Trading your gold for rewards is cool. Reminds me of quartz trade in Stargate, a cool feature which offers more choices here.

Disclaimers:
If you are epilectic... stay away from GoT. The lightshow is blinding.
If you like video modes... stay away from GoT. At least TWD does not pretend it has one.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

If you like video modes... stay away from GoT. At least TWD does not pretend it has one.

So I take it GoT has a bad video mode I take it...?

Since GoT is now in poeple's homes and even in the wild, why, I ask myself, is there no mega-thread on the subject of at least 100 pages long with people threatening to kill each other etc...?? There's just one other thread linked to the game apart from this one offering to sell some plastics for it...?? Why is no-one talking about it here?? Or am I missing something...? To me it looks kinda special with that massive upper playfield...

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Why is no-one talking about it here?? Or am I missing something...? To me it looks kinda special with that massive upper playfield...

Very few have shipped, and none of the ones with the upper playfield are out yet.

#46 8 years ago

I dont know about GOT, but I just got my TWD Premium and it is frikkin awesome. Wow. What a game. Could be the best I've ever owned (after Monster Bash that is).

#47 8 years ago

I really HATED TWD Pro when I played it, so I frankly shocked at all the love it's getting here. Maybe I need to revisit and see what I missed (although I'm guessing it just isn't my style).

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

So I take it GoT has a bad video mode I take it...?

Good guess
Waste of time.

Only a few people have played GoT Prem, more tried the Pro, but not many have shipped. First in France expected on November 10.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsford, NY
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-or-twd-premiums-which-is-best and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.