Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by PersonX99
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Ok, so I bought a nib ST pro about a year ago. I wasn't sure if it was a good choice at first, but as my ability to hit smooth shots improved I've become absolutely addicted to it. The speed and flow of the game is awesome.

So I'm ready to buy a second.

I've played GOT pro and premium. I like the pro better. I really like the game but I don't know a damn thing about Game of Thrones.

I've had a little time on GB pro at Allentown. I love the theme and know the movies. It's a very different style from ST and that's no problem. I'd buy the premium.

My timing is January 2017...I'm not an early adopter and prefer to wait until bugs are worked out.

I will also add that I like deep rules and buried "stuff" that turns up only after you've spent a lot of time playing.

So...pros and cons?

#2 7 years ago

Nib-get the gb first. If you don't like it, sell it and buy got. I personally like both, but gb is certainly the better pin.

#3 7 years ago

I played both and prefer GB by far - better music, better art, and a more universally appealing theme in my opinion. I'd consider adding a poll to the topic, might be easier to tally up the results plus you still get the feedback in the thread replies.

#4 7 years ago

play both at least 50 times, then decide for yourself. Nobody can make choices for you. 50 is the minimum to really know if a game is starting to bond with you or not.

#5 7 years ago

GOT is not very nice to look at, to be polite.

#6 7 years ago

I'd have to agree. As a whole package, GB is simply better. I've played both quite a lot over the last few weeks. If the theme is what why you're buying, then you can't go wrong. They're both pretty good pins, though I wouldn't put either in my personal top 10 over the last 10 years.

#7 7 years ago

I own Game of Thrones and love it. I haven't played Ghost Busters yet so I can't tell you which to buy but you'd be happy with GOT.

#8 7 years ago

Depends on your tastes. My GOT has captured the most play time even after buying 2 more after it. If you dig both then pick up a reasonably priced used GOT... take care of it, and then sell it for basically what you paid for it and rinse and repeat with a used GB

#9 7 years ago

If you are keeping ST, then definitely GB to balance out gameplay.

#10 7 years ago

GB for sure. You already have a flow machine. GB has harder shots and some good depth already and should get fleshed out a bit more over time.

#11 7 years ago

They're both very good games, and both are still evolving from a code perspective. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but GB is a bit more of a unique experience, if you're worried about that.

Seriously though, go with either and you can easily sell/trade one for the other if you feel like you made a mistake. They're both in demand titles and are both improving over time.

#12 7 years ago

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming.

My take on GB was that it's much more about making shots with lots of things in the playfield to interact with. That would chop up flow of the game. That seems like a nice counter point to my ST. I don't mind breaks in the action for a nice quest or rule set.

#13 7 years ago

GOT pro by far. Still gets the most play in my collection. One of the few titles where the pro is better than prem. GB is cool but prem or LE is the way to go. I do have a GBLE coming too

#14 7 years ago

GB Prem would be a fantastic complement to your ST Pro: Magnaslings vs traditional, relatively closed playfield with lots of shots vs open playfield with tons of flow, double inlanes vs traditional, 2 flippers vs 3, wide Trudeau flipper gap vs traditional, ect. To me that's an almost perfect 2-game collection if you prefer the speed, lighting, and deep rules of modern games.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

One of the few titles where the pro is better than prem.

If I could give you a thumbs-sideways I would. I was totally with you until this statement. I have GOT LE and it gets played more than any machine in our house. When we went to TPF, both my wife and I thought the pro felt empty and like there was a whole lot missing from that game. And there is - that upper playfield adds a whole other level (pardon the pun) to that game.

Either way, GOT>GB. People are already complaining about the flipper gaps in GB and balls jumping over into outlanes. That would piss me off, and I wasn't impressed with the gameplay on the pro at TPF.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

GOT is not very nice to look at, to be polite.

But more importantly, the pin itself wasn't very enjoyable at all to me. I was ready to sell my GOT premium after a week of ownership. It just never gelled with me. Didn't care for how it shot (the left orbit being screwed up didn't help), the mini PF got boring fast and disrupts what could be a nice flowing right ramp shot (like the pro), I hate how you are slowed down too often to manually select your battle, and I got to the Wizard mode way too soon and felt like I had already seen all that there is to see in a short period of time.

I'm sure I would like the pro better, but not enough to overcome the things I still wouldn't like about it.

I rate my GOT Premium in the bottom 4 or 5 of all pins that I've ever owned.

#17 7 years ago

GoT Pro >>>>>>>> GoT LE/Premium

The pro plays faster, better, and you can actually see where the ball is at all times. The upper playfield is a miss, I feel, and it takes away from the overall flow of the game. I feel like the pro was designed and then the upper playfield was wedged in to satisfy the demand for additional features for the premium/LE models.

#18 7 years ago

Actually I would go with Met Pro or a Borg game. Since that's not the choice I would choose GB different gameplay.

#19 7 years ago

GoT is a Pro-lite version compared to what u get with GB pro IMO.

GoT - "where's the beef"

GB all the way.

#20 7 years ago

I got to play a GOTLE on location this past Xmas quite a bit to give it a good test run because I love the series.

I agree with Robt, it's looks awful, even my wife noticed how ugly it was and most importantly, it's not fun at all imho.

The upper play field is not good and the shots are weak.

Ritchie spent all that time on this one and delivered a turd in my opinion.

He needs to get it together on the next pin while Borg is busy kicking his arse!

Maybe the creative meter is on empty. At least Trudeau gets major props in that department

#21 7 years ago

I could paraphrase but member 'Ballsofsteel' said it best below...

"personally, i've determined that GOT pro is the best flowing modern game stern has made for both SAM and Spike systems. no vuks, just ramp and orbit madness, and combo sensations. the sword ball lock is one of my favorite locks currently. the 1 'bash toy' (battering ram) is not really even a bash toy i find, as the ball returns fairly consistantly off the shot. the depth of house strategy and selection is above and beyond any other coded machine imo. the way the houses have been incorporated into gameplay is brilliant. as i sometimes get bored with gameplay on machines, i find that got seems fresh each game as you can try numerous house combinations or house to begin with. want a real challenge and find the game 'too easy'? just select house greyjoy and try to defeat all 3 dragons from the get go, that in itself is a blast. throw all the MB modes into play and stacking? irone throne mode, is just amazing i find. people will complain about 'not enough callouts' or 'not enough movie clips' sure the pf is photoshopped, but you know what? it doesn't affect gameplay i find. cheque please."

#22 7 years ago

Sorry Ice and Rob, have to disagree with you on this one. The rules and gameplay on GoT premium/LE are awesome. Looks are subjective, and so are opinions- but I think Thrones offers a fun, fast and immersive experience. We're all entitled to our opinions; and personally I feel Stern continues to offer some of the best pins on the planet.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

Sorry Ice and Rob, have to disagree with you on this one. The rules and gameplay on GoT premium/LE are awesome. Looks are subjective, and so are opinions- but I think Thrones offers a fun, fast and immersive experience. We're all entitled to our opinions; and personally I feel Stern continues to offer some of the best pins on the planet.

Correct. Turned off, the playfield is a dog. Turned on, it's beautiful with all the changing colors. Cabinet on the LE is stunning as well. Rules are terrific, and it achieves that "just one more" feeling that you want with any pinball machine. Didn't get that feeling playing Ghostbusters, but I really think each person's passion for a theme has a lot to do with their ultimate opinion of a game.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

I love Stern! Doesn't mean that I'm going to love every pin that they release though. GOT Premium was a huge swing and miss for me personally. That doesn't mean that everyone is going to agree obviously. But while I can see a few cool things in GOT, including some of the choreography/lighting/sound in some of the modes, it was just too easy to see them often and they quickly lost their appeal to me, not to mention the shot layout, crappy left orbit and boring mini pf. I largely blame myself for getting the premium to begin with as I already knew that I generally don't care for mini playfields.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

I really think each person's passion for a theme has a lot to do with their ultimate opinion of a game.

I LOVE the series Game of Thrones. Didn't care for the pin at all.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

I could paraphrase but member 'Ballsofsteel' said it best below...
"personally, i've determined that GOT pro is the best flowing modern game stern has made for both SAM and Spike systems. no vuks, just ramp and orbit madness, and combo sensations. the sword ball lock is one of my favorite locks currently. the 1 'bash toy' (battering ram) is not really even a bash toy i find, as the ball returns fairly consistantly off the shot. the depth of house strategy and selection is above and beyond any other coded machine imo. the way the houses have been incorporated into gameplay is brilliant. as i sometimes get bored with gameplay on machines, i find that got seems fresh each game as you can try numerous house combinations or house to begin with. want a real challenge and find the game 'too easy'? just select house greyjoy and try to defeat all 3 dragons from the get go, that in itself is a blast. throw all the MB modes into play and stacking? irone throne mode, is just amazing i find. people will complain about 'not enough callouts' or 'not enough movie clips' sure the pf is photoshopped, but you know what? it doesn't affect gameplay i find. cheque please."

I really wanted to like GOT, but its like they were told about GOT, but never actually sat down and watched the show. The theme is very important to make it a AAA title like LOTR, TSPP, GB, or Tron and they fucked up with got preetty badly.

#26 7 years ago

GOT Pro and GOT Premium feel like completely different games to me. My preference is the Pro, but I think it is dumb to say that it is >>>>>>>>> better than the Prem/LE. It is always a matter of preference.

As for the OP, I like GOT miles better than GB. It is a fun, fast, and VERY flowy game. However even though I don't like playing GB, I'm going to agree that it might be your better choice to match up with ST. Having games that offset each other really adds spice to a collection.

#27 7 years ago

None of the above games. You can do a lot better than these two.

#28 7 years ago

Let's try to stay on track; OP is asking about the pro versions not the prem versions.
Basically, heres how I see it:

Speed + flow = GOT
Art + sounds = GB

The pros of GOT are its rules, fast gameplay, combos, multipliers, satisfying jackpots and hurry up opportunities, and fun factor.

The cons of GOT is its art package and music (minus the theme music and targaryan).

I don't have enough time on GB to list its pros and cons, but from what I can tell it's simple. If you want speed and flow go with GOT. If you want a good looking pin with unique gameplay, go GB.

#29 7 years ago

No doubt Stern offers great options.

Pick your flavor. I like Banana Nut

I have "speed and flow" coming out of my

Whatever that means its so overrated

These days, I like Borg, Lyman and Keith, they are banana nut to me

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

Ok, so I bought a nib ST pro about a year ago. I wasn't sure if it was a good choice at first, but as my ability to hit smooth shots improved I've become absolutely addicted to it. The speed and flow of the game is awesome.
So I'm ready to buy a second.
I've played GOT pro and premium. I like the pro better. I really like the game but I don't know a damn thing about Game of Thrones.
I've had a little time on GB pro at Allentown. I love the theme and know the movies. It's a very different style from ST and that's no problem. I'd buy the premium.
My timing is January 2017...I'm not an early adopter and prefer to wait until bugs are worked out.
I will also add that I like deep rules and buried "stuff" that turns up only after you've spent a lot of time playing.
So...pros and cons?

I just noticed you mentioned ST pro. If I had ST PRO, I'd go with GB in a heartbeat for the diversity.

That said, how loyal are you to ST? I had STLE and GOT PRO together and they don't mesh well in a small lineup. The warp ramp is killer fun and probably the best shot in pinball, but that's all ST has to offer gameplay wise when compared to GOT. GOT flows better and plays faster. But ST trumps GOT in the sound package and theme integration dept. so pick what appeals to you. If your a player and want a shooters pin with a love for speed and rules, go GOT. If you love the overall package with no weaknesses or strengths, then stick with ST. But I could see GB complimenting ST or GOT better rather than GOT + ST together.

#31 7 years ago

Disclaimer, I have not played either, but if in the position I would go with GB. The art and theme is just so hard to pass. I bet GB will be the one to hold value the most because of that.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Correct. Turned off, the playfield is a dog. Turned on, it's beautiful with all the changing colors. Cabinet on the LE is stunning as well. Rules are terrific, and it achieves that "just one more" feeling that you want with any pinball machine. Didn't get that feeling playing Ghostbusters, but I really think each person's passion for a theme has a lot to do with their ultimate opinion of a game.

I agree GoT pre/le is stunning, especially the upper pf with the lights on.

However, I think a theme impacting the enjoyment of the pin is for the shallow-minded folks. For example, I have never watched GoT. I also though GB was an absolutely annoying, unfunny movie and I was only 15 when I saw it. I tried to watch it again recently...couldn't get past the dry, obvious humor of Bill Murray. That being said, I really enjoy both of the pins though and I would gladly own both. Just my opinion.

#33 7 years ago

I'd forget both

If I ever find a pin that matches TWDLE again

I'm in banana nut heaven.

It's gonna be hard to beat for me

It's a Fing symphony of pure greatness

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

I agree GoT pre/le is stunning, especially the upper pf with the lights on.
However, I think a theme impacting the enjoyment of the pin is for the shallow-minded folks. For example, I have never watched GoT. I also though GB was an absolutely annoying, unfunny movie and I was only 15 when I saw it. I tried to watch it again recently...couldn't get past the dry, obvious humor of Bill Murray. That being said, I really enjoy both of the pins though and I would gladly own both. Just my opinion.

I get what you're saying, but I love WOZ and can totally respect people who are so annoyed by the theme that they can't play the game. There are super-annoying themes out there for everybody. I'm glad that WWE was a dog because the theme is such a turn-off, it would have still been a never-buy for me simply based on the theme.

#35 7 years ago

I recently got a GOT LE and would probably get GB. I've played a pro but would like to play a premium before I make up my mind. GOT artwork reminds me of Stern's Indiana Jones, kind of bland. GOT is pretty deep as it is, but it needs Dwight to put it over the top. The LE needs something added for the action button to do, as it is now it feels like it was just added on as a feature that adds nothing to the game. The upper playfield needs more reason to go up there. I'm still learning the pin though.

I think GB will be the better pin when it all shakes out.

#36 7 years ago

I've gotten some time in on both pro versions and GB would be my choice without even thinking twice.

#37 7 years ago

To clarify...I'm considering GoT Pro or GB Premium. I know it's an odd comparison, but having gotten Pro and Premium time on GoT...I liked the Pro better.

I feel lucky with ST pro. I'm a trekkie and didn't have a lot of time on the game but took a chance, glad I did (still jonesing for the pin from college that got me started on this path, WCS).

I have had very little time with GB...really hoping Bill at Pinball Gallery gets one in so I can play it awhile.

But I also enjoy WoZ...no flow at all...so I'm thinking GB may scratch a little of that itch. And I like the movie, the art, etc...

#38 7 years ago

To clarify...I'm considering GoT Pro or GB Premium. I know it's an odd comparison, but having gotten Pro and Premium time on GoT...I liked the Pro better.
I feel lucky with ST pro. I'm a trekkie and didn't have a lot of time on the game but took a chance, glad I did (still jonesing for the pin from college that got me started on this path, WCS).
I have had very little time with GB...really hoping Bill at Pinball Gallery gets one in so I can play it awhile.
But I also enjoy WoZ...no flow at all...so I'm thinking GB may scratch a little of that itch. And I like the movie, the art, etc...

Well then why don't you play them both more and figure out which one you like better

Yeah Woz is a great pin too

#39 7 years ago

I'd go with GB PREM to be honest. Like I said earlier, I think it'll compliment your ST PRO better than GOT would.

#40 7 years ago

Neither. Get a good system 11!

#41 7 years ago

GOT is a much better game; ghostbusters looks cool but the play is not that good and there are air balls everywhere when you play and i totally question the designer on that right ramp on the pro

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

GOT is a much better game; ghostbusters looks cool but the play is not that good and there are air balls everywhere when you play and i totally question the designer on that right ramp on the pro

Really interesting how two players can have such drastically different opinions on a game. GOT looks bad and, to me, plays like it looks. GB, on the other hand, looks great and is a super fun shooter.

Oh well... Each to his own

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Oh well... Each to his own

^ This. Kind of like rooting for RedSox vs Orioles

/go sox!

#44 7 years ago

GOT is a turd if you ask me. Maybe you need to of watched the show or like deep strategy pins. I've tried to like it but nothing looks too interesting on play field, no shots feel that rewarding, and no toys that really add anything to gameplay. GB far better package. I'm not sold yet on gameplay but still much more enjoyable than GOT. Plus, variety is important. I wouldn't recommend two Ritchie games as your only pins. Too many similarities in his games.

#45 7 years ago

I'd have to say GOT Prem (or pro if that is what you prefer) over GB pro or Prem.

I am a current owner of GOT Prem (I was torn between pro and premium, I feel I made the right decision) and a Ghostbuster's Pro.

I purchased GB with the thought of maybe going Premium in the future. I pretty much have removed that thought as I know the Premium is not going to make the game rules or play much different. There are some design flaws in the GB machine. Airballs, jumped lanes, bent wireforms. Sure this game is a beauty and very nice to look at, but i do not play the artwork, I play the game. The rules are to linear for may taste, feels like every game is the same with no variety. The game just does not feel fun after playing it a few hundred times. But it is still very nice to look at. I will be selling it in a few months to a buddy.

As for GOT every game can be different. Depending on the house you choose. More multi-ball action. I would really consider GOT Premium, I think if you removed my upper playfield I would be pissed. Along with the light show an interative throne, it's a very nice machine. This machine is staying for awhile.

Good luck on you decision.

#46 7 years ago

You've got 6 months to make up your mind and there will be another stern machine released in the mean time. I think you'll find that got and Star Trek are just too similar a game to warrant really having both of them in a 2 pin lineup. So In your lineup I would suggest getting a GB whatever iteration. WOZ is a phenomenal game! If you're thinking about that I'd probably push you that way. Or even have a think about a TWD as iceman said its a killer game! I think iceman and I have similar tastes where we don't mind getting that little bit punished by our game and TWD will certainly do that to you!

#47 7 years ago

Also I forgot to mention that I've played a got prem a fair few times and I just could not get into the game. Generally I scored well but the game times were just crazy long and whilst that generally wouldn't be a bad thing my tastes have moved from the longer playing games such as Lotr to the punishers like TWD and iron man have a 3 minute game and you're killing it! Got have a 20-25 minute game and well that's just the norm!

#48 7 years ago

Played a GOT premium yesterday and like it more than the pro. Really don't like the pro so that is not saying much. Still, there was a GB pro next to it that was a lot more fun. Things felt different than the last GB pro I played. Felt easier to control the ball, everything worked well, and no cheap drains. Great game.

#49 7 years ago

GoT Premium/LE is a much more fun game when the left and right orbits both work as they should. When the orbits are flowing IMO GoT Pre is better than GoT Pro, when the orbits don't work it really kills the flow. The GoT upper playfield is awesome IMO, but some rule tweaks could definitely make it more exciting.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alpharetta, GA
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 49.95
7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-or-gbwhat-do-i-buy-and-why?hl=investingdad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.