STLE cab 4.JPG
WOZ cab 5.JPG
WOZ cab 2.JPG
STLE cab 3.JPG
STLE cab 2.JPG
STLE cab 1.JPG
WOZ cab 4.JPG
WOZ cab 3.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dphelps.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

My WOZ standard arrived yesterday. It has decals on the cabinet instead of direct print with clear coat. My understanding is that Jack experienced supply problems from the supplier of the direct printed cabinets, which is why they started running standard WOZ (to keep the line busy) until they could get the direct printed cabinets to make more LEs. I've also heard that they had some QA problems with some of the direct printed clear coated cabinets. When the cabinets were scratched/damaged, the clear/artwork came off in chunks instead of just a scratch. I have no idea how big of a deal or extensive of a problem this really was. JJP has said that the decal cabinets are easier to repair the artwork, while the direct printed cabinets are nearly impossible to repair if the art is damaged.

I wasn't going to buy a WOZ until my wife and I played one last March (2013) at the Texas Pinball Festival. My wife loved the game and wanted to get one. I was very impressed with the build quality and wasn't going to argue with my wife, considering it's the only game she's ever asked to buy, other than MB (which we still haven't bought). I do recall admiring the clear coated direct print cabinet at the time and thinking it looked very nice and I'd never seen a cabinet finish like it before. So I ordered a WOZ standard with a shaker and invisiglass through my distributor last March (2013). I wasn't expecting to get it for several more months, but the direct print cabinet problem bumped the standards up in line, so I got it a lot sooner than expected.

The decals on my WOZ look just fine and are comparable to the decals my Star Trek LE, maybe even better resolution. That being said, it's not the cool clear coated direct print I was expecting when I ordered it. My wife couldn't care less about how the cabinet is printed, she just wants to play the game and thinks it looks fine. The upside is that I would never have received my game this soon if JJP was using direct print for standards now, because I'd be last in line behind the LE's that are still not finished. However, considering that this machine is going to sit in my house forever, unless we decide to sell it, cabinet damage is not a big concern.

So at the end of the day, while I'm a bit disappointed by not getting the clear coat cabinet, it's my wife's game, she's fine with it, and we got it sooner, so I guess I'll live with the decals.

Now to my thoughts on the game itself. The build quality on WOZ is amazing. I thought I'd compare it to STLE for those who are interested. I got my STLE mid December, about two months before we got our WOZ. I'll preface all of this by saying that I LOVE my STLE. I'm biased because I'm a big trek fan, but it is a great game. I think it's the best modern Stern since LOTR, possibly the best modern Stern ever, both in gameplay and build quality. We've been playing it non-stop for the last two months, and my LOTR and other machines have received very little attention since we got STLE.

Now WOZ appears. It's sitting right next to my STLE. Visually, WOZ is considerably more impressive than STLE, IMO, and that's saying a lot, because STLE is a beautiful work of art. WOZ has more LEDs, and the light show in attract mode is better, IMO. (Of course the WOZ code has been in development for a lot longer.) When you look at WOZ, it's like looking at a Pat Lawlor game like TZ. It has toys and features everywhere, many more than STLE.

The game play between the two games is very different. STLE is a flow game, created by the King of Flow. It's fast, furious, and very fun. WOZ is much more of a stop and go game like TZ, and also very fun. I've only had WOZ a couple of days, but it seems very deep, with a lot to figure out. It seems deeper than STLE, but STLE is quite deep itself, IMO.

So here's an incomplete list of features for each game:

WOZ: 2 mini playfields including one with a spinning house and witch legs that pop out, winged monkey that captures the ball, moving witch that goes up and down, crystal ball with video display, pop bumpers with giant trees on them, state fair pop bumper in left outlane with a chance of kicking ball back out of outlane, 4 toto rollover switches in right outlane, 5 flippers, 5 magnets, 2 VUKs, more multicolor LEDs than STLE, LCD display in the back box, lit topper (even on a standard), headphone jack on coin door (even on a standard), line out audio jack on the back, multicolor (but dim) LED GI.

STLE: Vengeance ship that crashes into playfield, lit USS Enterprise model, chase lights on warp ramp, kickback, two asteroids with flashers, laser starfield projector (cool despite what people say), 3 flippers, 1 magnet, 1 VUK, white (brightly lit) monochrome LED GI, Red DMD, lit emblems on side of back box, lit side rails with animated phasers.

This may not be a complete or entirely fair comparison of features, but the WOZ seems to have a lot more "stuff" on it when the two machines are viewed side by side. Whether or not this is a good thing is a matter of opinion, I suppose. The price for these two machines is similar for NIB (if you get a shaker and invisiglass on WOZ, like I did). ST Premium is probably less than WOZ standard by $1000 or more, which is something to consider.

At the end of the day, these are both great machines, and I'm very glad I'm fortunate enough have both, and don't plan on either leaving my collection for a long time, if ever. These are also the first two NIB machine's I've ever bought. They play very differently, but are both fun. STLE is a very fast flow game. WOZ is more stop and go like TZ.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone who may be looking at one or both of these machines.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Did they check with you if you were OK with the decals? Were you given the option to wait and get a direct-printed one later? Just wondering if standard buyers will be able to choose the finish once they have the direct printed cabinets again.

No, they didn't check with me or give me the option to wait for a direct-printed one. At the time I ordered, the website said the cabinet would be direct printed and clear-coated (I have a screen capture from when I ordered). The website now says "Art will be screened on the highest grade adhesive backed vinyl and printed with UV stabilized inks.". Like I said in my original post, since I'm the only one in my household who notices the difference, I think I'll just live with it. I'm not sure what JJP would say if I wanted to wait for a direct printed one.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Doesn't bother me though that The Hobbit will have decals, as long as the artwork is crisp and un-pixelated,

The artwork is crisp and un-pixelated on my WOZ. I'll upload some pics this evening.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

I second the pic request.

I'll upload some pics this evening.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

My WOZ LE is on location and I started getting damage at the front of the cabinet edges near the lockdown bar. The clear started chipping off and taking the artwork underneath with it. I then wrapped Mylar around the front edge and to the flipper buttons as I didn't want the same thing happening to the sides. So based on what I've seen I'd believe what the OP is saying.

The information I heard was second hand information. Yours is the first "first hand" information I've heard, but it does confirm what I heard. Maybe I'm glad I have the decals after all?

#35 10 years ago

So here are the pics I promised. After taking them and zooming in on them, I can see that the resolution of the WOZ decals is much higher than the STLE. The STLE decals have dots/pixelation on close inspection. I think I'm good with the WOZ decals. Take a look.

WOZ cab 1.JPGWOZ cab 1.JPG WOZ cab 2.JPGWOZ cab 2.JPG WOZ cab 3.JPGWOZ cab 3.JPG WOZ cab 4.JPGWOZ cab 4.JPG WOZ cab 5.JPGWOZ cab 5.JPG STLE cab 1.JPGSTLE cab 1.JPG STLE cab 2.JPGSTLE cab 2.JPG STLE cab 3.JPGSTLE cab 3.JPG STLE cab 4.JPGSTLE cab 4.JPG
#36 10 years ago

Whoops, sorry about the rotation of the pictures, didn't expect that, guess I should have posted directly from my phone, but you get the idea.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

We do try to please everyone so we all know how that goes. Glad you love the game OP!

Thanks Jack! It is a great game. The first game my wife plays as much as I do. Glad you guys are making such a quality machine. I'm in on the Hobbit, and looking forward to seeing what Pat Lawlor will come up with.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Awesome that the OP is thrilled. One day, however, he will probably want to sell. Most people tend to move their machines at some point no matter how much they're in love with it. The first question that the OP will be asked when he goes to sell is, "Direct print or decaled cabinet?" It's going to be kind of like, "Clear or cloudy lower playfield window?" on AC/DC. No matter how much you spin it, everyone knows which one will be better for resale.
Everyone expects the value of their NIB pin to go down when opened, and it should. However, it is reasonable to HOPE that it goes down as little as possible. Decaled pins will struggle in this regard compared to the direct print ones, I think.

It may be true that it would affect resale value some day, not sure. I think the model and condition will likely matter more. (Standard vs LE vs 75th anniv edition). I definitely think it's less of a big deal than cloudy vs not cloudy lower playfield window on AC/DC. That's something you see when you're playing. The cabinet print method isn't.

Regardless, I've yet to sell a pin, and while I would certainly want to get as much as I can if I were to sell, I don't consider them an investment, so resale value isn't my primary consideration. I do understand that it's more of a consideration to some.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Just take a pic of the decaled cab next to a LOTR cab and you'll appreciate the improvements that have been made more.

Ok Aurich, just for you:

image.jpgimage.jpg image-99.jpgimage-99.jpg
#50 10 years ago
Quoted from ronlisa:

I have one of the numbered WOZ Standard's ( #650 ) and it has the direct print cab. Maybe only the first 1000 standards were to have the direct printed cabs and then all after that were to be decals.

My numbered WOZ Standard is #238 out of 1000, but you must have received yours well before I received mine, since it's direct print, so I guess the numbering isn't sequential and my guess is that all standards from now on will be decals, especially since the 75th Anniversary WOZ will be decals. Just speculation, but I think the cabinet supply chain problems and QA problems have convinced Jack to switch to decals for the future, after he finishes the run of WOZ ECLE.

I didn't request a specific number on my WOZ standard, and didn't even realize they would be numbered. (I did request a specific number on my Hobbit that's on pre-order).

What is the deal on the numbering on the standard WOZ? Are they going to number the first 1000 and then not number any standards after that (assuming they produce more than 1000)?

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

WOZ and STLE decals look fine but neither can be compared to direct print, clear coated cabinet.
Could be that only WOZECLE will have them.

It looks like you're probably right about WOZECLE and the older standards being the only ones with direct print cabinets.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from jamesdeloris:

My WOZ Standard (425/1000) was made 11/20/13. I have examined it closely and it sure looks like a direct print. If not , then they have sure done a good job on decals.

It probably is a direct print. If you've seen both, you can easily tell the difference. Does it have that clear coat feel like the playfield? If so, it's a direct print.

2 months later
#75 9 years ago
Quoted from jsrfo:

I have a Standard with the decaled cabinet. I thought I was getting the direct print, but they changed the build process, and I could not care less. The decals are extremely nice.

I completely agree. As I said in my original post, I was originally a little bummed out about not getting the direct print cabinet, but the decals are very nice, and I don't give it a second thought now. While the method of applying the art to the cabinet has some degree of importance, in the end, to me, it's a very minor consideration relative to the playfield and gameplay. WOZ is the most played game in our house out of all of our machines. It's also the only game my wife specifically wanted to buy. I have no regrets buying it. It's a fantastic machine. It's hard to imagine it leaving my collection at this point.

Regarding retaining value, it's hard to believe there will really be enough of a price difference between the two direct print and decal machines to matter that much. My guess is that Jack will keep making standards as long as there is a demand for WOZ, so for the next several years, all used standards, even nice HUO machines, will sell for less than new machines.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 5.00
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dphelps.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-my-woz-standard-with-decal-cabinet-thoughts-and-comparison-to-stle?tu=dphelps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.