STLE cab 4.JPG
WOZ cab 5.JPG
WOZ cab 2.JPG
STLE cab 3.JPG
STLE cab 2.JPG
STLE cab 1.JPG
WOZ cab 4.JPG
WOZ cab 3.JPG
There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

My WOZ standard arrived yesterday. It has decals on the cabinet instead of direct print with clear coat. My understanding is that Jack experienced supply problems from the supplier of the direct printed cabinets, which is why they started running standard WOZ (to keep the line busy) until they could get the direct printed cabinets to make more LEs. I've also heard that they had some QA problems with some of the direct printed clear coated cabinets. When the cabinets were scratched/damaged, the clear/artwork came off in chunks instead of just a scratch. I have no idea how big of a deal or extensive of a problem this really was. JJP has said that the decal cabinets are easier to repair the artwork, while the direct printed cabinets are nearly impossible to repair if the art is damaged.

I wasn't going to buy a WOZ until my wife and I played one last March (2013) at the Texas Pinball Festival. My wife loved the game and wanted to get one. I was very impressed with the build quality and wasn't going to argue with my wife, considering it's the only game she's ever asked to buy, other than MB (which we still haven't bought). I do recall admiring the clear coated direct print cabinet at the time and thinking it looked very nice and I'd never seen a cabinet finish like it before. So I ordered a WOZ standard with a shaker and invisiglass through my distributor last March (2013). I wasn't expecting to get it for several more months, but the direct print cabinet problem bumped the standards up in line, so I got it a lot sooner than expected.

The decals on my WOZ look just fine and are comparable to the decals my Star Trek LE, maybe even better resolution. That being said, it's not the cool clear coated direct print I was expecting when I ordered it. My wife couldn't care less about how the cabinet is printed, she just wants to play the game and thinks it looks fine. The upside is that I would never have received my game this soon if JJP was using direct print for standards now, because I'd be last in line behind the LE's that are still not finished. However, considering that this machine is going to sit in my house forever, unless we decide to sell it, cabinet damage is not a big concern.

So at the end of the day, while I'm a bit disappointed by not getting the clear coat cabinet, it's my wife's game, she's fine with it, and we got it sooner, so I guess I'll live with the decals.

Now to my thoughts on the game itself. The build quality on WOZ is amazing. I thought I'd compare it to STLE for those who are interested. I got my STLE mid December, about two months before we got our WOZ. I'll preface all of this by saying that I LOVE my STLE. I'm biased because I'm a big trek fan, but it is a great game. I think it's the best modern Stern since LOTR, possibly the best modern Stern ever, both in gameplay and build quality. We've been playing it non-stop for the last two months, and my LOTR and other machines have received very little attention since we got STLE.

Now WOZ appears. It's sitting right next to my STLE. Visually, WOZ is considerably more impressive than STLE, IMO, and that's saying a lot, because STLE is a beautiful work of art. WOZ has more LEDs, and the light show in attract mode is better, IMO. (Of course the WOZ code has been in development for a lot longer.) When you look at WOZ, it's like looking at a Pat Lawlor game like TZ. It has toys and features everywhere, many more than STLE.

The game play between the two games is very different. STLE is a flow game, created by the King of Flow. It's fast, furious, and very fun. WOZ is much more of a stop and go game like TZ, and also very fun. I've only had WOZ a couple of days, but it seems very deep, with a lot to figure out. It seems deeper than STLE, but STLE is quite deep itself, IMO.

So here's an incomplete list of features for each game:

WOZ: 2 mini playfields including one with a spinning house and witch legs that pop out, winged monkey that captures the ball, moving witch that goes up and down, crystal ball with video display, pop bumpers with giant trees on them, state fair pop bumper in left outlane with a chance of kicking ball back out of outlane, 4 toto rollover switches in right outlane, 5 flippers, 5 magnets, 2 VUKs, more multicolor LEDs than STLE, LCD display in the back box, lit topper (even on a standard), headphone jack on coin door (even on a standard), line out audio jack on the back, multicolor (but dim) LED GI.

STLE: Vengeance ship that crashes into playfield, lit USS Enterprise model, chase lights on warp ramp, kickback, two asteroids with flashers, laser starfield projector (cool despite what people say), 3 flippers, 1 magnet, 1 VUK, white (brightly lit) monochrome LED GI, Red DMD, lit emblems on side of back box, lit side rails with animated phasers.

This may not be a complete or entirely fair comparison of features, but the WOZ seems to have a lot more "stuff" on it when the two machines are viewed side by side. Whether or not this is a good thing is a matter of opinion, I suppose. The price for these two machines is similar for NIB (if you get a shaker and invisiglass on WOZ, like I did). ST Premium is probably less than WOZ standard by $1000 or more, which is something to consider.

At the end of the day, these are both great machines, and I'm very glad I'm fortunate enough have both, and don't plan on either leaving my collection for a long time, if ever. These are also the first two NIB machine's I've ever bought. They play very differently, but are both fun. STLE is a very fast flow game. WOZ is more stop and go like TZ.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone who may be looking at one or both of these machines.

#2 10 years ago

Did they check with you if you were OK with the decals? Were you given the option to wait and get a direct-printed one later? Just wondering if standard buyers will be able to choose the finish once they have the direct printed cabinets again.

#3 10 years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think at this point, only EEWOZLE gets direct print cabs, NOT regular or 75LEs. So I think the resupply of direct print cabs are only enough to fulfill the EE orders (and later LE Hobbits).

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from dphelps:

When the cabinets were scratched/damaged, the clear/artwork came off in chunks instead of just a scratch.

Funny, you would think at we would have seen and/or heard of this by now. Anyone? BS flag is in my hand, but holding off on throwing it for now. Those cleared cabinets are awesomely nice and I have a hard time believing they are not more durable than decals. Seems like cost cutting is a factor here.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Funny, you would think at we would have seen and/or heard of this by now. Anyone? BS flag is in my hand, but holding off on throwing it for now. Those cleared cabinets are awesomely nice and I have a hard time believing they are not more durable than decals. Seems like cost cutting is a factor here.

I would have tended to agree, but a friend of mine who operates put a standard WOZ on location with the direct print/ clear coated cabinet, and within a couple of weeks, it got badly gouged by one of the flipper buttons, he doesn't think there is much he will ever be able to do to fix it. The DP/CC cabinets are beautiful and I'm very happy to have it on my WOZECLE, but because of how nice it is, I really worry about it getting damaged, I've had to move mine a few times since I got it, but luckily it's still perfect.

Some times when you try something new it works, sometimes it doesn't, I think this is a case of JJP wanted to push the envelope on cabinet art, but maybe finding the challenges too great, and yes maybe cost figures into it. Doesn't bother me though that The Hobbit will have decals, as long as the artwork is crisp and un-pixelated,

#6 10 years ago

Congrats on the new game! It's a beauty. My wife helped convince me as well to get one, haha.

Nice comparison with STLE. I think you hit the nail on the head by saying ST is more about flow and WOZ is more stop and go like TZ but both games are fun. There's definitely room for both types of games. It's a good thing in my mind that WOZ is so packed with stuff as that type of game had stopped being produced in recent years. It had been nearly 20 years since a wide body feature loaded game was produced and JJP has brought that back with modern tech. Should be interesting to see how The Hobbit turns out.

Enjoy the game!

#7 10 years ago

Pictures my good man!

#8 10 years ago

I second the pic request.

#9 10 years ago

congrats and sound like people are getting games again; which is a good thing

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Those cleared cabinets are awesomely nice and I have a hard time believing they are not more durable than decals. Seems like cost cutting is a factor here.

Definitely... its cost cutting all the way. Can't blame them though. I think for their survival they will have to continue to raise some prices and cut some costs... manufacturing in the US is a bitch.

#11 10 years ago

Yeah appears too on the whitewood of Hobbit there is no more drops on the bottom half of the playfield either and there are now stand ups; I am sure now that there are investors and money needs to be made that we will start to see cost cutting.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Yeah appears too on the whitewood of Hobbit there is no more drops on the bottom half of the playfield either and there are now stand ups; I am sure now that there are investors and money needs to be made that we will start to see cost cutting.

I thought the same thing about the drops not being there but if you look closely there's a big gap between the playfield and the stand up targets. I just don't think the drops were put in yet. If that's not the case the gap would not be so big in those locations. The gaps are so big it looks like a ball could fall through. I'm still thinking there are drops on the lower playefield area. For $7.5k-$8k there should be after seeing what we got with WOZ.

The Hobbit whitewood also looks to be a work in progress as there are not the column of playfield inserts in the lower playfield area.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think at this point, only EEWOZLE gets direct print cabs, NOT regular or 75LEs. So I think the resupply of direct print cabs are only enough to fulfill the EE orders (and later LE Hobbits).

I have one of the numbered WOZ Standard's ( #650 ) and it has the direct print cab. Maybe only the first 1000 standards were to have the direct printed cabs and then all after that were to be decals.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from ronlisa:

I have one of the numbered WOZ Standard's ( #650 ) and it has the direct print cab. Maybe only the first 1000 standards were to have the direct printed cabs and then all after that were to be decals.

I have a feeling that the remaining LE's will have direct print cabs and that will be it. Even the 75th Anniversary edition has vinyl decals according to the brochure. Again, this is just MY speculation.

I am not sure about Hobbit LE, but a direct print cab is not mentioned within the brochure.

I am wondering which version will be more desirable down the road? Like Lola and Marilyn, Diamondplate - non DP, etc.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Funny, you would think at we would have seen and/or heard of this by now. Anyone?

My WOZ LE is on location and I started getting damage at the front of the cabinet edges near the lockdown bar. The clear started chipping off and taking the artwork underneath with it. I then wrapped Mylar around the front edge and to the flipper buttons as I didn't want the same thing happening to the sides. So based on what I've seen I'd believe what the OP is saying.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Did they check with you if you were OK with the decals? Were you given the option to wait and get a direct-printed one later? Just wondering if standard buyers will be able to choose the finish once they have the direct printed cabinets again.

No, they didn't check with me or give me the option to wait for a direct-printed one. At the time I ordered, the website said the cabinet would be direct printed and clear-coated (I have a screen capture from when I ordered). The website now says "Art will be screened on the highest grade adhesive backed vinyl and printed with UV stabilized inks.". Like I said in my original post, since I'm the only one in my household who notices the difference, I think I'll just live with it. I'm not sure what JJP would say if I wanted to wait for a direct printed one.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Doesn't bother me though that The Hobbit will have decals, as long as the artwork is crisp and un-pixelated,

The artwork is crisp and un-pixelated on my WOZ. I'll upload some pics this evening.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

I second the pic request.

I'll upload some pics this evening.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

My WOZ LE is on location and I started getting damage at the front of the cabinet edges near the lockdown bar. The clear started chipping off and taking the artwork underneath with it. I then wrapped Mylar around the front edge and to the flipper buttons as I didn't want the same thing happening to the sides. So based on what I've seen I'd believe what the OP is saying.

The information I heard was second hand information. Yours is the first "first hand" information I've heard, but it does confirm what I heard. Maybe I'm glad I have the decals after all?

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I thought the same thing about the drops not being there but if you look closely there's a big gap between the playfield and the stand up targets. I just don't think the drops were put in yet. If that's not the case the gap would not be so big in those locations. The gaps are so big it looks like a ball could fall through. I'm still thinking there are drops on the lower playefield area. For $7.5k-$8k there should be after seeing what we got with WOZ.
The Hobbit whitewood also looks to be a work in progress as there are not the column of playfield inserts in the lower playfield area.

There will be drops in front of the standups like many games had in the past. Different objectives completed by the drops then the standups. Good way to add more room for depth in the game.

Tom

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from dphelps:

The artwork is crisp and un-pixelated on my WOZ. I'll upload some pics this evening.

When I picked up my game we got to see the decaled cabinets. They look as good as any modern cabinet. Doesn't have the cool factor of the cleared cabinet but you would never complain if the clear cabinet was never available. That being said I would have bitched if my LE was decaled, being that is was advertised as direct print. Being home use only I am not too worried. But who knows maybe in 6 or 7 years everyone with an LE cabinet will be looking for replacement vinyl decals Then you will need new green side rails........

#22 10 years ago

WoZ Standard arrived at my friend Rod's and yes issue w/ the decals right out of the box (ripped by the Lion's tail). I wrote Jen that day in December for him but no reply so Rod has a scratched cab on his WoZ and decided not to make it a federal case (although I offered him some options). He's happy overall but there were things promised on Rod's game that did not show up in the box and when I wrote Jen on the decal and the misisng items, she just ignored us. I did skinny down the issue list and wrote Jack directly and he addressed the revised list immediately so that was good of Jack. He does try so hard to make everyone happy and is just a good guy I wish want to see do well in this business

#23 10 years ago

I appreciate your unbiased review. Also, the reports of damage to the direct print cabinets have been out there for a couple of months.

#24 10 years ago

How about direct printed cabinets with a clear vinyl protective layer?

#25 10 years ago

Agree with your assessment of WOZ and ST. I am very fortunate to have both, and they complement each other perfectly. I get bored with any one style of play, so I want to have as much variety as possible. It's great that there are now two companies making such different pins, and I am happy to be able to support them both (and perhaps others in the future).

As for the cabinet, well, I paid more for my STLE than for my WOZECLE, so I can hardly complain if future JJP pins come with decals. The direct printing is beautiful, but I can appreciate the fact that it might not be cost effective. I'd rather make a compromise there than on the playfield.

#26 10 years ago

Can you clear over a decal-ed cab?

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from BillP:

WoZ Standard arrived at my friend Rod's and yes issue w/ the decals right out of the box (ripped by the Lion's tail). I wrote Jen that day in December for him but no reply so Rod has a scratched cab on his WoZ and decided not to make it a federal case (although I offered him some options). He's happy overall but there were things promised on Rod's game that did not show up in the box and when I wrote Jen on the decal and the misisng items, she just ignored us. I did skinny down the issue list and wrote Jack directly and he addressed the revised list immediately so that was good of Jack. He does try so hard to make everyone happy and is just a good guy I wish want to see do well in this business

I doubt Jen ing more anyone and perhaps passed that to me. She may have been out a few days too as she had the flu. We do try to please everyone so we all know how that goes. Glad you love the game OP!

#28 10 years ago

Can you share photos of the decals? I questioned this move when JJP first mentioned it. I'm a big fan of JJP, but he wasn't happy with my note. Oh well...

#29 10 years ago

There is certainly nothing wrong with decals when done right. For home use, I would hold out for the clear direct print cab and be very careful with it. Those cleared cabinets are crazy nice! To me this is a perfectly logical thing to only have on the high end (LE) games and not on the standards.

#30 10 years ago

Just take a pic of the decaled cab next to a LOTR cab and you'll appreciate the improvements that have been made more.

#31 10 years ago

Awesome that the OP is thrilled. One day, however, he will probably want to sell. Most people tend to move their machines at some point no matter how much they're in love with it. The first question that the OP will be asked when he goes to sell is, "Direct print or decaled cabinet?" It's going to be kind of like, "Clear or cloudy lower playfield window?" on AC/DC. No matter how much you spin it, everyone knows which one will be better for resale.

Everyone expects the value of their NIB pin to go down when opened, and it should. However, it is reasonable to HOPE that it goes down as little as possible. Decaled pins will struggle in this regard compared to the direct print ones, I think.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

doubt Jen ing more anyone and perhaps passed that to me. She may have been out a few days too as she had the flu. We do try to please everyone so we all know how that goes. Glad you love the game OP!

Good to see you post Jack, I hope everyone is getting over the Flu and you feel better too!

Its hard, because if someone like myself makes a post on how amazingly entertaining and loved WOZ is here,
the thread takes on its on life. A post to the negative side sometimes looks like a feeding frenzy.
Rest assured, there is a silent majority out there with a very big smile about WOZ, and it often goes unnoticed.
We are very grateful for your hard work.

Art

#33 10 years ago

WOZLE is without question the higest quality pin that I own. My STLE with Cointakers back box led kit is my best
Stern. I actually have a higher cost in ST . Both are great and I look forward to all future improvements in new releases.

#35 10 years ago

So here are the pics I promised. After taking them and zooming in on them, I can see that the resolution of the WOZ decals is much higher than the STLE. The STLE decals have dots/pixelation on close inspection. I think I'm good with the WOZ decals. Take a look.

WOZ cab 1.JPGWOZ cab 1.JPG WOZ cab 2.JPGWOZ cab 2.JPG WOZ cab 3.JPGWOZ cab 3.JPG WOZ cab 4.JPGWOZ cab 4.JPG WOZ cab 5.JPGWOZ cab 5.JPG STLE cab 1.JPGSTLE cab 1.JPG STLE cab 2.JPGSTLE cab 2.JPG STLE cab 3.JPGSTLE cab 3.JPG STLE cab 4.JPGSTLE cab 4.JPG
#36 10 years ago

Whoops, sorry about the rotation of the pictures, didn't expect that, guess I should have posted directly from my phone, but you get the idea.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

We do try to please everyone so we all know how that goes. Glad you love the game OP!

Thanks Jack! It is a great game. The first game my wife plays as much as I do. Glad you guys are making such a quality machine. I'm in on the Hobbit, and looking forward to seeing what Pat Lawlor will come up with.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Awesome that the OP is thrilled. One day, however, he will probably want to sell. Most people tend to move their machines at some point no matter how much they're in love with it. The first question that the OP will be asked when he goes to sell is, "Direct print or decaled cabinet?" It's going to be kind of like, "Clear or cloudy lower playfield window?" on AC/DC. No matter how much you spin it, everyone knows which one will be better for resale.
Everyone expects the value of their NIB pin to go down when opened, and it should. However, it is reasonable to HOPE that it goes down as little as possible. Decaled pins will struggle in this regard compared to the direct print ones, I think.

It may be true that it would affect resale value some day, not sure. I think the model and condition will likely matter more. (Standard vs LE vs 75th anniv edition). I definitely think it's less of a big deal than cloudy vs not cloudy lower playfield window on AC/DC. That's something you see when you're playing. The cabinet print method isn't.

Regardless, I've yet to sell a pin, and while I would certainly want to get as much as I can if I were to sell, I don't consider them an investment, so resale value isn't my primary consideration. I do understand that it's more of a consideration to some.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from dphelps:

It may be true that it would affect resale value some day, not sure. I think the model and condition will likely matter more.

Those with an LE made after oct with those 7.5V boards AND a printed cab will be looking at the most sought after if the rest of the pins will have decals.

#40 10 years ago

Those WOZ decals look like they're really well done.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Just take a pic of the decaled cab next to a LOTR cab and you'll appreciate the improvements that have been made more.

Ok Aurich, just for you:

image.jpgimage.jpg image-99.jpgimage-99.jpg
#42 10 years ago

The ST decals look good but wow those WOZ decals look really good with very little pixelation. Nice job JJP. Thanks for posting the pics.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The ST decals look good but wow those WOZ decals look really good with very little pixelation. Nice job JJP. Thanks for posting the pics.

Man, didn't see this one coming!

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Man, didn't see this one coming!

Star Treks decals do look good I just said that the WOZ ones look really good as it's hard to see any pixelation that close up. I doubt from 3 feet that anyone can see any pixelation on either.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Star Treks decals do look good I just said that the WOZ ones look really good as it's hard to see any pixelation that close up. I doubt from 3 feet that anyone can see any pixelation on either.

Panzer, don't Freak out… get it? Just mess'n with ya. The WoZ decals look terrific for sure. I think we would all prefer direct print but as long as the decals are high quality they will be fine.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Panzer, don't Freak out… get it? Just mess'n with ya. The WoZ decals look terrific for sure. I think we would all prefer direct print but as long as the decals are high quality they will be fine.

Yeah, good point. I'm glad the decals turned out well. I'm still hoping The Hobbit LE is direct print.

#47 10 years ago

At least now that decals are available, anyone with a damaged direct print cabinet can install the decals over the damaged areas.

#48 10 years ago

I'm going to clearcoat over my decals

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

At least now that decals are available, anyone with a damaged direct print cabinet can install the decals over the damaged areas.

might be hard to blend that in unless you cut the old printed part off.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from ronlisa:

My numbered WOZ Standard is #238 out of 1000, but you must have received yours well before I received mine, since it's direct print, so I guess the numbering isn't sequential and my guess is that all standards from now on will be decals, especially since the 75th Anniversary WOZ will be decals. Just speculation, but I think the cabinet supply chain problems and QA problems have convinced Jack to switch to decals for the future, after he finishes the run of WOZ ECLE.

I didn't request a specific number on my WOZ standard, and didn't even realize they would be numbered. (I did request a specific number on my Hobbit that's on pre-order).

What is the deal on the numbering on the standard WOZ? Are they going to number the first 1000 and then not number any standards after that (assuming they produce more than 1000)?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 91.00
$ 24.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 5.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-my-woz-standard-with-decal-cabinet-thoughts-and-comparison-to-stle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.