(Topic ID: 24428)

Got My TSPP Home, Played My First Game, and.......

By RobT

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by taylor34
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Flyer.jpg
TSPP_pinball_score.JPG
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

.....proceeded to get to Alien Invasion.

Without having a *clue* what I was doing!

I also got a bunch of other cool modes going, including the one where the flippers are reversed (don't remember the name of the mode) a bunch of Multi-balls, including "Scratchy's Revenge" I believe it was called.

The pin is absolutely in gorgeous/mint condition. Decided to play "one game" before moving another pin to the garage to make room, and it turned into a very long game. I was impressed with how good it felt, first impressions were much better than I had remembered, and there are modes galore....but good grief, talk about long ball times! I just kept going and going. Spent a lot of time in the upper PF. Next thing I know "Alien Invasion" pops up on the screen. "Wait, isn't that one of the wizard modes?" I thought to myself.

Outlanes appear to be at factory settings. The post on the left is three holes from the bottom. The one on the right is also three holes from the bottom. So the outlanes don't appear to be closed up at all.

So was this just a freak game that I had? Or can I expect ball times to be this long regularly?

I guess the other thing I need to check are the settings to see if they are on "easy". What would I look for specifically? I kind of doubt the settings are on easy given the fact that the out lane posts are at factory settings.

Is this a good score? I'm serious, I have no idea....

TSPP_pinball_score.JPGTSPP_pinball_score.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Probably need to sell it now..

#3 11 years ago

I must really suck. I've had the game for months and haven't gotten to AI or got a score that high yet.

#4 11 years ago

I just picked one up today and it will be here in 30minutes.. fun game.

#5 11 years ago

Was the glass on?

#6 11 years ago

That seems way too easy for your first game. You're either the best pinball player ever, or the game is just set too easy somehow. Most of those things take quite some time for anyone to accomplish. That being said, the game is so chock full of stuff, long games aren't a bad thing...you did notice that it was always cool new stuff happening, right? There's really no repetition during a long game. You just can't have IM/Tron type games on this game...it's not structured that way.

Here's a simplified summary of what you did.

-You started all the modes....that's how you get Alien Invasion lit. Mode start = TV shot. You can relight the TV by hitting the right orbit, then get the TV again to stack.

-The Otto shot (inner loop that wraps around the giant Homer Head) lights the 2x inserts. Getting them all starts Springfield Mystery Spot (reverse flippers)

-Starting all 4 Itchy & Scratchy Multiballs (the saucer behind the drop targets) gets you to Scratchy's Revenge. Each of these should be harder to start than the last. For instance, the first one - you can start it without dropping all the drop targets. The 2nd time, if the ball gets into the saucer without having all the drops down, it kicks the ball out and resets the drops.

#7 11 years ago

Grats rob! As for settings; you can always do a software factory restore.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Laseriffic:

I just picked one up today and it will be here in 30minutes.. fun game.

Cool. I am waiting for my Congo...........won't be here 'til Monday.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That seems way too easy for your first game. You're either the best pinball player ever, or the game is just set too easy somehow. Most of those things take quite some time for anyone to accomplish. That being said, the game is so chock full of stuff, long games aren't a bad thing...you did notice that it was always cool new stuff happening, right? There's really no repetition during a long game. You just can't have IM/Tron type games on this game...it's not structured that way.
Here's a simplified summary of what you did.
-You started all the modes....that's how you get Alien Invasion lit. Mode start = TV shot. You can relight the TV by hitting the right orbit, then get the TV again to stack.
-The Otto shot (inner loop that wraps around the giant Homer Head) lights the 2x inserts. Getting them all starts Springfield Mystery Spot (reverse flippers)
-Starting all 4 Itchy & Scratchy Multiballs (the saucer behind the drop targets) gets you to Scratchy's Revenge. Each of these should be harder to start than the last. For instance, the first one - you can start it without dropping all the drop targets. The 2nd time, if the ball gets into the saucer without having all the drops down, it kicks the ball out and resets the drops.

What do I look for specifically in the settings to see if they are set to "easy"?

Ball times were very long.....epic I'd say. Haven't played it again since I did this. Obviously I get the distinct feeling that this was a fluke. When I saw where the out lane posts were set, I said to myself "well, I'm going to have to close those suckers down". Well, not based on my first game I don't!

And I have no problem if you want to call me the best pinball player ever!

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What do I look for specifically in the settings to see if they are set to "easy"?
Ball times were very long.....epic I'd say. Haven't played it again since I did this. Obviously I get the distinct feeling that this was a fluke. When I saw where the out lane posts were set, I said to myself "well, I'm going to have to close those suckers down". Well, not based on my first game I don't!
And I have no problem if you want to call me the best pinball player ever!

Just go into the settings and see what the modes are set as....mine are stock but some are easy, some are moderate. Someone could have done the "easy" setting on the installs menu? I dunno. The manual might have a list of the stock settings...you can compare against that. Or, as SKB said - just do a reset.

#11 11 years ago

Well I guess I should have mixed feelings about this. The bad: I'm not as good as I had hoped, because some of the settings are definitely set on "easy", and "TV Lighting Difficulty" in particular was set to "Extra Easy"! The good: obviously the game isn't as easy as it appeared last night and I can keep it a little longer.

I'm just going to do a factory reset like Steve said.

Well, I got a taste of what's in the game anyway.

#12 11 years ago

I bet your machine doesn't have a I & S cliffy on it. The target bank lip protector tends to block slow moving balls from reaching the saucer. I reach I&S multiball less often now.

#13 11 years ago

I have had TSPP for two years. I made it to the Springfield Mystery Spot once... never to Alien Invasion. My best score is something like 59 million.

#14 11 years ago

My TSPP is up for sale/trade, i have had for more then 2 years now. And although i love the theme and qoute's, hell the whole execution of the game. My highest score is 159 million. But i noticed i'm grown tired of playing it. I feel i'm not that far of that playing a game is going to start to feel like a chore. I have doubted very hard for selling/trading it, because of my love for the theme. But what's the use of keeping it, when you barely play it anymore? So i recently decided to either sell or trade it. And it seems a trade is in the works since of today. Someone is willing to trade for a very nice WH20, with no fading and no damage on the playfield (no not even at the lost mine ).
The pin is also fully loaded with leds. An WH20 has been on my want list a very long time, so this seems like a very nice trade off!

#15 11 years ago

Outlanes appear to be at factory settings. The post on the left is three holes from the bottom. The one on the right is also three holes from the bottom. So the outlanes don't appear to be closed up at all.

I think the following is how the factory configured the posts (four in all):

1. Lower left: three from the bottom
2. Upper left: all the way down
3. Lower right: all the way down
4. Upper right: three from the bottom

Basing this on the factory flyer under extreme magnification--distorts terribly, but you can clearly make out three of the four posts except for the lower left, but I've heard other people say factory was three from the bottom...perhaps someone who bought one NIB (or someone who has an original flyer they can magnify) can chime in.

Congrats on the purchase, the game is a blast overall--the only knock can be the marathon ball times you mentioned.

Oh, and mylar the shooter lane and add a cliffy lane protector ASAP (screening on both sides of the groove on this one: Doh).

Flyer.jpgFlyer.jpg

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Well I guess I should have mixed feelings about this. The bad: I'm not as good as I had hoped, because some of the settings are definitely set on "easy", and "TV Lighting Difficulty" in particular was set to "Extra Easy"! The good: obviously the game isn't as easy as it appeared last night and I can keep it a little longer.
I'm just going to do a factory reset like Steve said.
Well, I got a taste of what's in the game anyway.

The exact same thing happened to me....When I brought TSPP home it was set on easy/extra easy and I got AI nearly twice the first game. Set it on moderate/hard and it is an entirely different game. Especially TV modes. On easy, you can stack all the TV modes as the TV light stays lit all the time. On moderate/hard you have to go to the lower PF and hit Krusty spinner to relight the TV mode light. Also, I&S is much harder to achieve. On easy, you just knock down a target and start any I&S multiball. On moderate/hard, it takes all the targets just to light the mode, and then knock them down again to get into the hole.

On moderate/hard settings after having the game for a few months, I usually will hit 125M+ every third game or so. On easy, I hit 180M my first game.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from NM:

I think the following is how the factory configured the posts (four in all):
1. Lower left: three from the bottom
2. Upper left: all the way down
3. Lower right: all the way down
4. Upper right: three from the bottom
Basing this on the factory flyer under extreme magnification--distorts terribly, but you can clearly make out three of the four posts except for the lower left, but I've heard other people say factory was three from the bottom...perhaps someone who bought an HUO (or someone who has an original flyer they can magnify) can chime in.
Congrats on the purchase, the game is a blast overall--the only knock can be the marathon ball times you mentioned.
Oh, and mylar the shooter lane and add a cliffy lane protector ASAP (screening on both sides of the groove on this one: Doh).

Thanks Neil, that confirms that all my posts are at factory settings then. I just finished playing a couple more games and ball times are very long, so the posts will remain at factory settings.

#18 11 years ago

Do factory reset then change the TV rules to competition mode. Im pretty sure thats what Bowen has setup in his tutorial video and I liked it better than only shooting crusty to light modes. Crusty sucks because the shot sucks and you get screwed by the pops sometime. Compeitiion you can relight tv mode by shooting mystery in the upper playfield or crusty but you cant claim modes from mystery until you reopen the garage and shoot tv again.

#19 11 years ago

Yeah, setting up the light TV mode definitely makes a difference - having to shoot the right orbit to relight the TV again should make it play a lot harder.

#20 11 years ago

TSPP is one of those games that's feast or famine for me. Either I'm playing for 45 minutes or the game is over in 45 seconds. That's actually one of the reasons I sold it.

#21 11 years ago

I have yet to check my settings.....what a DOPE, I am.

I have been playing the game the way it was delivered.....have not reached AI.

Itchy and scratchy, 2x drop targets first multiball, 3x, second multiball....

Still a challenge, and more fun.....

I had a STTNG delivered, and with the glass off "walked" through the entire game.
Ruined it for me.......

Discovering what happens, rather then knowing what I have to do to get to the surprises
has been the best for me.

It took me 14 years to trip a feature I never saw in Fish Tales!!!

#22 11 years ago

I recently sold one of these and I have one already for myself. It was amazing how much difference there was between 4.00 and 5.00 ROMs. Under 4.00, it just felt wrong. The person that bought it never saw the difference because I burnt a new set for it. Amazing game.

#23 11 years ago

Mine was made in Nov. 2007 so it definitely has the 5.0 ROMS.

But, mine puts up a message that says: "U.K. Skill Only Pinball". What the hell does this mean? This message is still present even after I did a factory reset.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from dos_reboot:

I bet your machine doesn't have a I & S cliffy on it. The target bank lip protector tends to block slow moving balls from reaching the saucer. I reach I&S multiball less often now.

Hmm. Not on my game. Even the slowest rollers go in like it's not even there. Hmm.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from Benaar:

TSPP is one of those games that's feast or famine for me. Either I'm playing for 45 minutes or the game is over in 45 seconds. That's actually one of the reasons I sold it.

Man me too! But I ain't gonna sell it. Haven't reached AI yet!

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

But, mine puts up a message that says: "U.K. Skill Only Pinball". What the hell does this mean? This message is still present even after I did a factory reset.

Fixed this. Somehow item 39 got turned "on". Thanks Greg!

#27 11 years ago

Others already noted this, but "Extra Easy" for the TV means it's always lit. Normally, you have to shoot the right orbit to relight the TV. "Extra Easy" for Otto means it's always lit in the center loop. Normally, you have to shoot the white target in the lower left corner to relight Otto.

It sounds like you had fun and played well!
- Bowen

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

Others already noted this, but "Extra Easy" for the TV means it's always lit. Normally, you have to shoot the right orbit to relight the TV. "Extra Easy" for Otto means it's always lit in the center loop. Normally, you have to shoot the white target in the lower left corner to relight Otto.
It sounds like you had fun and played well!
- Bowen

Hey! I'm saving this in my bookmarks....Bowen said I played well!

I did do a factory reset, and yeah.....it's a lot harder now. I just got my highest score....around 62 million, which is less than half the score that I had on my first game.

Still, even with those easy settings on my first game, I haven't had another game with ball times that were nearly as long as they were on that one. So regardless of the settings, it was indeed a good game that I haven't come close to duplicating again.

#29 11 years ago

I like threads like this....cuz I've gone for stretches without turning my TSPP on - but when someone else gets excited about it, I get excited about it and it's fun to rediscover it again. I played it a bunch yesterday...thanks, Rob!

#30 11 years ago

Thanks a lot Rob. I just bought one of these because of you
You have similar tastes to me. And we both didn't like this game prior to this. So I figured I'll give it as chance as well.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

You have similar tastes to me. And we both didn't like this game prior to this. So I figured I'll give it as chance as well.

(Rob...start a thread about how Popeye is the greatest game ever made...teeheheheee)

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I'm finding that what many others have said is true: it seems like it is somewhat of a feast or famine type of game. I kind of like that, because so far I have to say that it is really pulling me in as far as having that "just one more game" pull to it. I keep pressing the start button because I know I can do better! But there has been a LOT of Start Button pushing because plenty of games don't go well. When you are hitting shots and get deeper into the game it can be really satisfying. I'm starting to figure out the rules a bit, and stacking, and feel that there is a lot more to learn. And the good thing is that I *want* to learn them.

Did you get your BBH yet? I know we both had that pin coming in too, so I'm wondering what your thoughts are on that pin?

Quoted from Rarehero:

(Rob...start a thread about how Popeye is the greatest game ever made...teeheheheee)

LOL

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Haha I spent some time with Popeye. I don't hate it but I definitely don't love it.

Quoted from RobT:

Did you get your BBH yet? I know we both had that pin coming in too, so I'm wondering what your thoughts are on that pin?

LOL

I haven't found one of those yet. I'm using the rest of my pinball fund for Simpsons so bbh might be on hold.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I haven't found one of those yet. I'm using the rest of my pinball fund for Simpsons so bbh might be on hold.

Ah, too bad, I was looking forward to comparing notes. I'm really liking it. Similar style game play to IM: short ball times, in your face action. I like it.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Ah, too bad, I was looking forward to comparing notes. I'm really liking it. Similar style game play to IM: short ball times, in your face action. I like it.

I have a friend with one. I already know I like the game. It's easily as "cheap" as ironman.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I have a friend with one. I already know I like the game. It's easily as "cheap" as ironman.

Ah, cool, didn't know you had the chance to play one regularly. Going for Turkey MB is a ton of fun. Love the sounds on this pin when the shot gun is going off.

When will you have TSPP?

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Haha I spent some time with Popeye. I don't hate it but I definitely don't love it.

Teehee...I kid the Popeye...I'll actually go to bat for that game any day. It's fun and doesn't cost much compared to most pins these days. I just sold mine (and a few others) cuz I felt like culling the collection a bit. Will I miss them and cry!? We'll see...

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Ah, cool, didn't know you had the chance to play one regularly. Going for Turkey MB is a ton of fun. Love the sounds on this pin when the shot gun is going off.
When will you have TSPP?

My Simpsons will be here in the next four hours I think.

#39 11 years ago

Thought you did not like simpsons =-)

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Thought you did not like Simpsons =-)

So did I.

May also buy a SC in a month or two and I haven't enjoyed that one too much when I've played it either. But like TSPP there are things about it that I do like and intrigues me.

Jury is still out on TSPP but so far so good and it's definitely better than what my prior impressions were.

#41 11 years ago

Sorry Rob guess that makes two of you I was commenting about markmon picking one up.
I agree there are some great things about the game and after a couple years owning one there were a few things I got bored with. I will likely own another down the road it was a very fun game.

#42 11 years ago

It's funny that it was setup so easy, when I bought my HUO one it was setup the exact same way and had version 3.0 roms on it. Needless to say, it was way too easy, starting 4 modes on one trip to the living room is ridiculous, lol. Too bad that you got to see some of the cool stuff before you figured it out, it's always pretty awesome to achieve something that's hard in a game.

Btw, that's awesome about BBH, I've been thinking about that one for a while but have never been able to find one to play. Perhaps when I'm done with World Poker Tour I'll try and find one, although I'm liking WPT so much it might be awhile.

#43 11 years ago

Congrats on the new pin Rob. TSPP has shots upon shots, fun pin hope you continue to enjoy it.

#44 11 years ago

Ok, got my machine. After being in this hobby 2 years and being an avid TSPP hater, I am actually enjoying the machine. I have some more to do before I consider it ready to bring into the house. I should get some real play time on it later this week.

#45 11 years ago

Ok can one of you guys tell me how the garage door works? It seems it has more than 2 states - open and closed. There are times it seems partially open. Is this how it is supposed to work or is something wrong that I need to investigate?

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Ok can one of you guys tell me how the garage door works? It seems it has more than 2 states - open and closed. There are times it seems partially open. Is this how it is supposed to work or is something wrong that I need to investigate?

Something seems wrong.....I only remember it either being open or closed. May need a minor adjustment.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

It should be either open or closed, nothing in between.

Sounds like mine is nicer than yours.

#49 11 years ago

smassa is right. The door should either be shut or open. I haven't done any work on the TSPP garage so can't offer more insight then that. Hopefully someone can chime in to give you some specific things to look at.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

smassa is right. The door should either be shut or open. I haven't done any work on the TSPP garage so can't offer more insight then that. Hopefully someone can chime in to give you some specific things to look at.

Ok thanks. I will figure it out. Just needed to know how it is supposed to behave.

Quoted from RobT:

It should be either open or closed, nothing in between.
Sounds like mine is nicer than yours.

LOL yes it very well may be at the moment. But it won't be when it leaves the shop and goes into the house
Mine is home use only. But that doesn't mean perfect. But the cabinet and playfield have zero issues so it will be perfect when I'm done. As it stands, I need to fix the garage door, the auto plunger, clean and wax it, and finish the LED job (or redo it I guess is better to say). Still I don't think it was a bad deal at $3800.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 218.00
$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 16.00
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.00
$ 45.95
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-my-tspp-home-played-my-first-game-and and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.