Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by stangbat
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I cannot get the 2 right side flippers to work Swapped out the fuses. Nothing. Upper playfield is working okay. I want to play..HELP! LOL

#2 12 years ago

Check the flipper button switch, if that don't do it follow the path untill you find the problem. Use a digital multimeter to check the voltage at each point etc...

#3 12 years ago

I had this problem when I got my SW and it was a loose flipper wire and it just had to be soldered back on

#4 12 years ago

BTW you wanna sell me your TSPP??? LOL JK

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from DarthPinhead:

I had this problem when I got my SW and it was a loose flipper wire and it just had to be soldered back on

+1,If you dont find a loose wire then check the driver board connections.
Do you have the manual?

#6 12 years ago

Yes, I have the manual.......looks like a small phone book . Didn't find any loose wires on the flippers. Man, it is torture not being able to play right now.

#7 12 years ago

Check the driver board connections in the backbox

#8 12 years ago

Hang in there labguy. Im sure its something simple we just gotta track it down. Give those connectors a wiggle and keep looking for loose or broken wires. I find it odd that both flippers are dead so I really think theres a break in the chain.....or something silly like that.

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from LabGuy:

I cannot get the 2 right side flippers to work Swapped out the fuses. Nothing. Upper playfield is working okay. I want to play..HELP! LOL

Do you know how to use the Portals diagnostics? Go into the solenoid tests and see if the flippers work in test mode. Report back.

Oh and, if you didn't know, you will have to enable the high voltage for those tests to work correctly. There are two white interlock switches to the left when you open the coin door. The top one can be pulled out and locked for the HV.

#10 12 years ago

As Cliffy mentioned run it thru the solenoid tests - if they check out then run it thru the switch edges test and press flipper button to make sure the switches are also working.

If one of those doesn't check out then you can work from there.

If the upper playfield is working then I can assume the flipper button works - but I dont have a TSPP so Im not sure how they have that built could be two switches etc.

keep us posted

#11 12 years ago

Just take the glass off and use your finger for the right flipper only. Then when you find the problem put the glass back on and play with the flippers.

#12 12 years ago

Any progress???

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#13 12 years ago

Nope, can't find any bad connections. Do I have to remove the coils to check them with a DMM? Just set to ohms and see if I get a reading? Can't I just unsolder the 2 leads and check them?

#14 12 years ago

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=TSPP&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

Find the repair manual thread and start reading. The link above has some good documentation, but not factory repair info, (not on that page, but maybe in a link there).

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

Do you know how to use the Portals diagnostics? Go into the solenoid tests and see if the flippers work in test mode. Report back.

Oh and, if you didn't know, you will have to enable the high voltage for those tests to work correctly. There are two white interlock switches to the left when you open the coin door. The top one can be pulled out and locked for the HV.

Follow these steps first like cliffy has mentioned

#16 12 years ago

I ran the coil test and the 2 rights didn't budge. The others did.

#17 12 years ago

Do the flipper buttons work fine in diagnostics

#18 12 years ago

If you mean using them navigating on the menu, they both work. Also, the upper playfield right is working. Maybe I will put the working left coil on the right and see if I get movement?

#19 12 years ago

So only one flipper doesnt work?

#20 12 years ago

Sorry,I forgot Stern has 2 lugs and not 3

#21 12 years ago

pinmike, TSPP is a Stern/Sega Whitestar game. Similar to DE, there are only two lugs on the coils and only one winding. So he's going to need to troubleshoot similar to the DE/Sega methods rather than WMS.

Let's recap this:

-It sounds like the flipper switches work in diagnostics mode, so the switches are good.
-You stated that the lower right and middle right flipper do not work during the tests in diagnostics, right?
-The right upper playfield flipper works, right?

When you say you swapped the fuses, you swapped them with known good fuses?

If nobody comes up with more info tonight, I'll try and look into this more tomorrow.

#22 12 years ago

Stangbat, you have it correctly. Upper right playfield is working, although it sticks a little sometimes. When I got the machine, I got a whole box of NOS rebuild parts and many packs of slo-blow fuses. I think I will replace every fuse on that board. I am hoping to locate a few coils locally today. Should have them for backup them anyways.

#23 12 years ago

LabGuy, do you have a multimeter with a diode testing function on it?

#24 12 years ago

I have a cen-tech DVM that goes from 200 thru 2000K ohm.

#25 12 years ago

Okay, first things first, Stern does provide tech support for their games, even in situations like this when you buy a used game from someone. So if all else fails, you can call them at 800-542-5377. Also, the flipper information is on page 106 of your manual.

First, let's verify that you are getting 50v to the two flippers that aren't working. Lift the playfield up, leave the coin door open, and pull out on the white upper coin door power switch located on the lower left of the coin door inside the cabinet. This will enable power to the coils.

Next, find the red-yellow wire that goes into the playfield fuse block for the upper right flipper. Put your meter on DC voltage mode, put the black lead on a ground braid in the cabinet and the red lead on the fuse block where this red-yellow wire is attached. You'll probably read around 65+ volts. Let us know if you get a voltage reading.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 218.00
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 45.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-my-1st-pin-tsppbut and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.