(Topic ID: 63342)

Got me a cyclone finally, could use a little help troubleshooting.

By jcar302

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by jcar302
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Cyclone_playfield_016.JPG
Cyclone_playfield_013.JPG
Cyclone_playfield_014.JPG
Cyclone_playfield_012.JPG
Cyclone_playfield_010.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Hey guys, been looking for a cyclone for a few years, finally found one at a decent price, good shape (cosmetically) and reasonable distance.

The good:
The playfield is in good condition, so is the cabinet.
Pretty much all switches register when depressed.
All boards are present, no acid damage to cpu.
Lighting all works, so does the mystery wheel thing.
Music and sounds work fine.

The Bad:

The ramps are a little busted up, still usable, but hopefully the repros will be available soon. I ordered protectors.

Top 2 displays are missing alot of segments.

Flipper coils are totally rigged.

No coils fire other than to put the little spook house target back up, that works fine.
But no other works, period.
Pop bumpers register, but don't pop, same with the slingshots.

I'm pretty sure the board has to go out for repair, which is ok, i budgeted in for that, but i'd prefer not to send it out, only to have it come back and get fried from poor wiring again.
Previous owner got it in a package deal, suggested the flipper coil was shot.

If i give the relay for the ferris wheel a little whack it starts turning.

Judging by a few of the rubbers and the ferris wheel belt, i'd say this machine hasn't been played in a long time.

I'm still learning how to read the manual diagrams, but i do have them.

Any help is appreciated.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3780/9779216766_9778969317_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7305/9779213806_76404a7715_b.jpg

I tried to upload a couple pics, let me know if it works right, not familiar with the pic posting method here.

Post edited by jcar302

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Flipper coils are totally rigged.

Looks like there may be two different ones, check the manual to see which one if any is correct.

Quoted from jcar302:

No coils fire other than to put the little spook house target back up, that works fine.
But no other works, period.
Pop bumpers register, but don't pop, same with the slingshots.

Have you checked all of the fuses by pulling them with a Digital multi meter and testing continuity? Also when you get a new machine you should check if all of the fuses are the correct ones and not ones that were swapped with whatever the person had laying around. Especially since you look like you may have two different flippers. Also figure out where all of those coils go in the backbox, look at the colored wires off of the coil and then look for the same colors in the backbox, are the connectors burnt, or brown, or even melted away and someone just soldered the wires back to the pins? That could be an issue if so many are out. If the connectors look good, unplug and then plug back in (with power OFF!) make sure they are plugged back in correctly. If it works after that they need replacing.

I Cant be much help for the display, you may just need a new one, hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in how to test that. You could try unplugging the connectors and replugging them as I mentioned above here as well.

Playfield looks nice though, with some trouble shooting you will have a nice game there.

#3 10 years ago

Thanks steve.

I checked all fuses for continuity (i'm an electrician), all where good. I will have to check to see if all the proper ones are in there.

Ordered new coils from marcos when i got the ramp protectors, did check part numbers though, just went by what marcos web page said they were.

Went through all the connectors already too.

#4 10 years ago

I agree that looks like a wiring mess - you'll have to look at your schematics or wait for someone who knows those machines by sight.

Are the coils getting their proper (50?) voltage?
If so, Can you get them to fire by grounding?
If so, can you get the to fire by shorting the appropriate transistor?

How to check a coil: http://pinwiki.net/index.php?title=How_to_test_a_coil
I like this site for some basics: http://www.pinrepair.com/begin/index.htm

#5 10 years ago

Someone changed the coils along the way. The right one is the correct one - FL-11630 - for both sides. The left one is the strongest coil Williams made. Someone was obviously compensating for a bad EOS, bad coil sleeve, bad coil stop, etc. Probably would have been best to get a flipper rebuild kit.

After checking all the fuses as Steve suggests (don't neglect the one under the playfield but if the drop target is working that one is good, though still best to check it to make sure it is not overfused), what I usually do is disconnect all the outputs and check all the voltages coming from the power supply. If the power is bad, you'll have nothing but problems down the line and chase your tail trying to solve them. The PS may need new caps, HV rebuild, possibly fuses/fuse holders and new connector pins - less than $20 in parts.

Then check the voltages coming out of the aux power driver board. You should be getting +25VDC at the + side of BR1 and +50VDC at the + side of BR2.

Once you know the voltages are all good, if the MPU board is booting, you can then check the displays. I usually do the display next because it helps me to run diagnostics and troubleshoot the rest of the machine - hard to do without the displays. If you can take a picture or post a video of what it looks like, with a few simple tests you can tell whether its a logic problem or a display glass problem.

After you get the displays working I'd run through diagnostics and take stock of exactly what is working and what isn't. Looking for the commonalities will help determine where the problem(s) is (are) and what you'll need to do to correct.

Great game - one of the best Sys11s made. Who needs multiball!

viperrwk

#6 10 years ago

Thanks for the replys,
I was hoping you seen the post viper, as for it would appear cyclone is your favorite, judging by all the posts i have read that you are involved in.
Cyclone is the game i really wanted, but when i got frustrated looking for one, i bought high speed to keep me busy.

Quick update.

After messing with the display connectors, it appear that the ribbon cable was the problem, i pulled it off slowly while watching the display, sure enough it lit up 100%, so i forced the cable back into the connector (not the board) and when it reseated, it is fully working, think i'll get a new cable, but for now, it's all good.

So i ran the tests.
All lights work.
Music works 100%
So do flashers
knocker in cabinet works, solenoid that kicks ball out to start game works, and spook house guy pops up.

I can start a game with the start button and depress switches imitating a game, just that nothing that needs to kick a ball out works, like the spook house ramp or slingshot lane, pop bumpers no work either.

During the self tests, i can feel a couple of them try and work (they are all free and smooth), but they don't really pop, more like just a short vibration.

I didn't test the power supply yet or aux driver, your terminology is still a bit ahead of my paygrade, Not sure what BR1 and BR2 is, didn't see them in schematics or on a board.

Which part of the power supply board is the output?

If i'm reading voltage right, the coils have 38 volts, not sure how to ground them out yet, don't want to make more problems.

I really do appreciate the help, my first game high speed was mostly board issues, so other than general maintenance and a few coil and switch repairs, i'm still kinda a newb.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Not sure what BR1 and BR2 is

I'll help where I can - BR is Bridge Rectifier, where the AC is rectified into DC power. You probably have one for each voltage level in the game. You can test the AC power coming in and the DC power coming out and it can give you a good idea on which direction to start looking for other failures, if not at the BR itself. You can also test it with the power off using the Diode setting or the resistance setting. The link I posted above can help more.

#8 10 years ago

Thanks Btw,
I found them, they are behind the speaker panel on the aux board, too tired to pull it out and test them tonight.

On another note, i realized why one of the relays on the aux board keep clicking, the computer must think the ball is in the shuttle and needs to be kicked out, i can feel the coil try over and over to kick it out, but no nearly enough power. If i trip a switch on the playfield it stops, i guess thinking the ball is in play.

I also tested all the coils, 3 of which register 13+ ohms, the rest are all under 5.
They are 26-1500. I even tried disconnecting them to test to make sure i wasn't mistaken.

Little by little, i'm starting to understand how this thing works.

#10 10 years ago

Thanks mrjamma,
I actually got the display working by messing with the cable.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Thanks for the replys,
I was hoping you seen the post viper, as for it would appear cyclone is your favorite, judging by all the posts i have read that you are involved in.
Cyclone is the game i really wanted, but when i got frustrated looking for one, i bought High Speed to keep me busy.
Quick update.
After messing with the display connectors, it appear that the ribbon cable was the problem, i pulled it off slowly while watching the display, sure enough it lit up 100%, so i forced the cable back into the connector (not the board) and when it reseated, it is fully working, think i'll get a new cable, but for now, it's all good.
So i ran the tests.
All lights work.
Music works 100%
So do flashers
knocker in cabinet works, solenoid that kicks ball out to start game works, and spook house guy pops up.
I can start a game with the start button and depress switches imitating a game, just that nothing that needs to kick a ball out works, like the spook house ramp or slingshot lane, pop bumpers no work either.
During the self tests, i can feel a couple of them try and work (they are all free and smooth), but they don't really pop, more like just a short vibration.
I didn't test the power supply yet or aux driver, your terminology is still a bit ahead of my paygrade, Not sure what BR1 and BR2 is, didn't see them in schematics or on a board.
Which part of the power supply board is the output?
If i'm reading voltage right, the coils have 38 volts, not sure how to ground them out yet, don't want to make more problems.
I really do appreciate the help, my first game High Speed was mostly board issues, so other than general maintenance and a few coil and switch repairs, i'm still kinda a newb.

OK - we'll go easy...

For now we'll leave the flippers out of this
First, I want to be sure I understand:

The ball shooter kickbig and the boomerang kickbigs do not work.

The two slings (left and right) and the three jet bumpers do not work.

Everything else works (ALL flashers, all controlled insert lamps, mystery wheel, ferris wheel, though that may need a new relay or connector from your description, GI lights in backbox and playfield flash as they should in attract mode, all switches register.)

All fuses have been double checked, all are good and the proper values.

Have you checked the resistance values on all the non-working coils? I can't believe so many coils went bad but you should rule this out next.

After that, take your multimeter, set it to DC volts. Turn the machine on. Black to the ground braid in the backbox and touch the red to F1 on the aux power driver board. You should get about 25VDC or more. Then touch the red to F5 - you should have about 50VDC or more. This is checking the bridge rectifiers as BTW pointed out. The voltages are rectified but unregulated from the transformer so do not have to be precise. If you don't get this check fuse F8 for 25v and F7 for 50v.

If the voltages check out, the next stop are the connectors on the aux power driver board. Reseat them all. Check if things work now. If they do then you will need new connectors. If they don't, the next place to check is in the cabinet. There is a square 9 pin connector (3x3) which carries all the coil power to the playfield. Carefully check this connector, pull it apart and reseat it. If reseating this doesn't solve the issue then you will need to check the voltages at each coil.

If I've missed something or if something is not clear let me know. After you cover off the above report back your findings.

viperrwk

#12 10 years ago

Thank you for dumbing it down for me, made a huge difference.

Ok, here's where i'm at:

During the tests you suggested, i decided to check voltage at both sides of all the fuses, turns out, f7 and f3 were blown. Still had continuity with my Meter, but no voltage on other side. When i knocked them around a bit, continuity went away. Probably should of gotten my real electrical continuity tester out of my van, never liked checking it with my MM.

So, i went and replaced f7 first, and bam, the boomerang kicker (in the spookhouse) and the one that kicks the ball out when it falls through the blue thing (sorry for description), both work now.

F5 is at 73v
F1 is at 38v
F7 (when fixed) had 27v
Didn't test F3, i was afraid to let it run that long, since it seem like it was going to short out.

Tested with 2 different testers, one that is auto and the other isn't. Numbers identical, only reason i said that is because it would appear these numbers are quite different from what you suggested so i wanted to be accurate, the auto tester is kinda complicated so i don't use it often.

Then i put the f3 fuse in.
When i turn the machine on, I can physically see the right side slingshot is firing and staying on and so is the lower pop bumper. I quickly turned it off, since i could tell it was going to blow the fuse again and even after a second or 2 i could smell the coils.

So everything works except:
Flippers (i know you said we will get to that)
Slingshots
Pop bumpers
When i add a fuse at f3, right slingshot comes on and stays on, so does lower pop bumper.
Checked continuity at all switches and it's fine (also scores fine if i manually depress each one)

I really appreciate the help, feels like i'm getting somewhere.

Oh and i reseated all the connectors on the aux board and all fuses appear to be of correct value (little more time consuming than i expected, really appreciate plug in colored fuses now)
Ordered a system 11 fuse kit, probably overpaid, but driving around to get these things gets old quick.

Also ordered a new ferris wheel motor, i could see it physically trying to start a few times (if i give it a push it will go) and seems like it has issues that burned a lead on the relay board.

One last thing, all three coils that read around 14ohms are 26-1500's.
Thanks,
Joe

#13 10 years ago

The coils that are staying on could be bad transistors or bad coils/transistors on the MPU. Check all the large transistors on the MPU by putting dmm on continuity then putting one lead to a ground and tapping the other lead to the metal tab of each transistor. If you get continuity the resistor is bad. Do it with power off.

Here's the link: http://hansbalk.home.xs4all.nl/rep/sys11/index1.htm#trans

#14 10 years ago

The three 26-1500 coils should be the left and right sling and the boomerang. As an aside, I just noticed an error in the manual. The solenoid table lists the bottom jet as 26-1500 and the right sling as 23-800. These should be reversed. Anyway, your ohm numbers are fine so at least we know those coils are not the problem. Would be good to know how the other coils ohm out, specifically the lower jet.

If the rest of the coils ohm out ok, as Anth says, the problem with the right sling and lower jet locking on are probably bad transistors, specifically Q69 and Q77 on the CPU board. These are TIP 122s and you should check and replace with TIP102s (I always have a bunch on hand.) Follow his link as it will tell you exactly how to test them.

Once you get your new flipper coils installed and you have everything wired up correctly, we can check those to make sure they are ok. I would imagine with you putting a new working fuse in F7, with the coils wired up with the switches and capacitors, it should be fine. Seems like you're only a few bad transistors and couple of flipper coils from a fully working game!

viperrwk

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

The three 26-1500 coils should be the left and right sling and the boomerang. As an aside, I just noticed an error in the manual. The solenoid table lists the bottom jet as 26-1500 and the right sling as 23-800. These should be reversed. Anyway, your ohm numbers are fine so at least we know those coils are not the problem. Would be good to know how the other coils ohm out, specifically the lower jet.
If the rest of the coils ohm out ok, as Anth says, the problem with the right sling and lower jet locking on are probably bad transistors, specifically Q69 and Q77 on the CPU board. These are TIP 122s and you should check and replace with TIP102s (I always have a bunch on hand.) Follow his link as it will tell you exactly how to test them.
Once you get your new flipper coils installed and you have everything wired up correctly, we can check those to make sure they are ok. I would imagine with you putting a new working fuse in F7, with the coils wired up with the switches and capacitors, it should be fine. Seems like you're only a few bad transistors and couple of flipper coils from a fully working game!
viperrwk

Thanks viper,
I've been following that page he linked.
Not really trusting either of my testers, the craftsman does little to nothing when checking diodes (not sure if it really even can test diodes) and the autoranging meter takes so long to settle that my arm is worn out) i'll buy a new one today. Using 2 testers that give different readings is making me insane.

I did do the part where you jump Q8 to ground and nothing happened.

I have left the f3 fuse out since i can clearly tell with it in those coils are locked on and i can tell buy the playfield hum it's not good.

Any way to easily figure out what the proper wiring is for the flippers? They should come today or tomorrow so i can set them up. I usually can figure out how to read the schematics by comparing the drawing to the real thing, and work my way backwards, but the coils are so screwed up none of it makes sense to me. Is one upside down in my pic?

Lower jet is 4.1 ohms
Both slings are 14.xx

Thanks again,
Joe

#16 10 years ago

Left flipper coil wiring
Cyclone_playfield_010.JPGCyclone_playfield_010.JPG

Left flipper EOS wiring
Cyclone_playfield_012.JPGCyclone_playfield_012.JPG

L/R lane change crossover
Cyclone_playfield_014.JPGCyclone_playfield_014.JPG

viperrwk

#17 10 years ago

Right flipper EOS wiring
Cyclone_playfield_013.JPGCyclone_playfield_013.JPG

Right flipper coil wiring
Cyclone_playfield_016.JPGCyclone_playfield_016.JPG

viperrwk

#18 10 years ago

And your coils are good so high probability Q69 & Q77 are your problems.

viperrwk

#19 10 years ago

Awesome, thanks for the pics, my coils will be here today, just wish i had some tip102's.
Radioshack only has 120's, i don't think i can get 102's locally.

#20 10 years ago

Problem is a TIP120 is rated for 60v, TIP122 rated for 100v. Both are rated at 5A. TIP102 is rated for 100v @ 8A. You can use the TIP120 in a pinch but really should have a TIP122 or TIP102.

viperrwk

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Problem is a TIP120 is rated for 60v, TIP122 rated for 100v. Both are rated at 5A. TIP102 is rated for 100v @ 8A. You can use the TIP120 in a pinch but really should have a TIP122 or TIP102.
viperrwk

Ya, i ordered some 102's, not going to rush it, i waited years for a cyclone, a few more days isn't much more.

#22 10 years ago

Ok, Flippers rewired. Thanks for the pics, between the pics and the schematics i'm alot closer to understanding how they work. As an electrician, IMO it's not only important as to how something is wired, it's also important to know why it's wired, this way in the future i don't need so much help.

For simplicity's sake, the two wires that were junctioned i pulled out of the straps to get more wire and ran them directly to the coils.
Right side flipper coil (one that was upsidedown) was missing a ton of screws and was close to being frozen. All fixed.

Changed ferris wheel motor and added a jumper on the relay board because one trace was burnt to no continuity.
Been good so far.

Didn't get a new tester yet, but i did order tip102's, should be here tomorrow.

Things left to do:
Flippers still don't work
Slingshots don't work
Pop bumpers don't pop

Almost there, thanks for all the help.

#23 10 years ago

Once you install the new TIP102s at Q69 and Q77 and put the fuse back chances are all will be good.

Now that you have the flippers mounted and wired correctly, the first thing you need to check is whether or not the flippers are ready to flip. This happens when the flipper relay on the MPU board is energized, which only happens in either diagnostic mode or game mode. Easiest thing to do is open up the backbox and put the game in diagnostic mode. You should hear the relay in the backbox on the MPU board click. If it does not, you have a problem with the flipper enable circuit - either a bad relay, bad driving transistor for the relay at Q67 (a 2N4401), 7402 at U50, 7406 at U56 or bad PIA at U10. Chances are one of the first two is bad but those are the components in the circuit.

If the relay clicks on but still no flips, next check the flipper switches and make sure they are registering when closed.

If they are good then you'll need to start chasing the wiring and connectors. Hopefully it won't come to that...

viperrwk

#24 10 years ago

Ok,
No clicks in game or diagnostic mode.
Did you want me to do more, or wait for the transistors to arrive?

I hope it's not one of the U chips, those look a litter tougher to solder.

The q67 looks to be available at radioshack.

The relay i'm pretty confused on what the replacement part is. Could you link me to one?
Appears to be 5amp, 6v, 4 pole (correct me if i'm wrong).
When i goto marco's, they have 2 that are close to that.

thanks,
Joe

#25 10 years ago

This is the one

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5580-08994-01

I'm sure you can find it cheaper elsewhere.

You need a meter with diode test to check the transistor. Until you check/replace not much else you can do.

viperrwk

#26 10 years ago

Ok, here's the update.

While looking for a tester online (for reviews) i found the craftsman i have, so i downloaded the manual.

Now i understand diode testing, should of read the directions to begin with, because this tester does it, basically on the continuity setting.

So here's where i'm at.

Tested most of the tip's on the board, q77 appears to be good, but q79 does not. q79 is cleary cracked visibly.
Got to run out for a while, not totally understanding how to test q67 yet, but so far i put the ground to ground wiring on cabinet, and tested across, one leg gives continuity, one voltage and one nothing.

Sorry for not reading the manual,
Thanks for help,
Joe

#27 10 years ago

Well, been screwing with this thing for a few hours.

Replaced q79 which was cracked, also replaced q67.

The others appear to test fine. My soldering skills aren't perfect so i'd rather not do unecessary soldering on the board if i can avoid it.

Couple things i notice:

With the game on (any mode), if i have the tester set to continuity, ground to strap, put lead on q67 between the top two prongs (essentially joining them), i can hear the relay come on and flippers work fine. I'm guessing q67 turns on the relay, so the issue is before q67?

Tester on continuity again, also on ground strap, if i touch it to q69 and q71 or the transistors above them on the left most lead, it will fire the slingshots.
Wouldn't this suggest that the problem is after the tip102's and 2n4401's?

Still when i put the fuse back in, the right slingshot and lower pop bumper lock up.

edit: After further inspection, the only coil still locked on when i put the fuse back in is the lower pop bumper.

#28 10 years ago

Well, i gave up, sorta.
After changing all tips and 24401's that tested bad, and only getting the sling shot to stop being stuck on, i came up with a new plan.

Took my spare high speed original board that i had k's fix, put it back in high speed.
I then took the converted 11a out of high speed, swapped in the cyclone roms and i now have a 100% working cyclone.

Why didn't i come up with this plan originally? I thought you could go backwards with system 11 boards, not forward.

Thanks for all the help, it was a learning experience, i now know 1000 times more than a week ago.

BTW, with brand new rebuilt flippers, i can see how that ramp gets busted up. I also had the ball fly off the table multiple times from ricochets, even had it jump off the ramp into the top section.

I will send k's the original cyclone board to be fixed, this way i still have a spare (which obviously comes in handy).

Thanks again,
Joe

#29 10 years ago

11A is the most flexible of all the boards. If you were uncomfortable desoldering ICs then it was probably good you stopped where you did. Lots of fine traces that are easily lifted especially if you don't have the right tools/techniques. When you get the original board fixed put it back in and save the 11A board for a rainy day. Enjoy!

viperrwk

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

11A is the most flexible of all the boards. If you were uncomfortable desoldering ICs then it was probably good you stopped where you did. Lots of fine traces that are easily lifted especially if you don't have the right tools/techniques. When you get the original board fixed put it back in and save the 11A board for a rainy day. Enjoy!
viperrwk

I had always thought that 11a was the most flexible, but i read that whole pin repair page and it says 11b is the most flexible.

My soldering has gotten better, but IMO, it wouldn't be wise for me to tackle those U chips just yet. The 2440's are pretty easy, the tip102's a bit tougher for me, i think because you have to get the hole really clean to fit those wide legs in there.

Having a spare board with system 11's seems to be key if you aren't an expert in board repair. This way there is no down time with broken machines.
Not that i "have" to have working machines, it's just that non working weighs on me to borderline obsession.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-me-a-cyclone-finally-could-use-a-little-help-troubleshooting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.