Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by OwenKhan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

For some reason on both machines I have played, I can never make the left ramp intentionally from a trapped position. I can make it halfway up with the left flipper pretty consistently, but it rolls back down. I know the shot is supposed to be easier from the right flipper, and when I actually make it from the right it actually has enough force to travel up the ramp, but no matter how much I try I almost always brick the shot. The only times I seem to make the shot are with the extra momentum from rolling down the inlane or on a rebound from the dragon spit or battering ram, and in those cases the ball is moving too fast for me to gain a sense of consistency in making the shot. Is it supposed to be this hard? Should I need to build momentum before taking the shot or should I just focus more on refining my accuracy with a trapped ball?

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from inf4nticide:

For some reason on both machines I have played, I can never make the left ramp intentionally from a trapped position. I can make it halfway up with the left flipper pretty consistently, but it rolls back down. I know the shot is supposed to be easier from the right flipper, and when I actually make it from the right it actually has enough force to travel up the ramp, but no matter how much I try I almost always brick the shot. The only times I seem to make the shot are with the extra momentum from rolling down the inlane or on a rebound from the dragon spit or battering ram, and in those cases the ball is moving too fast for me to gain a sense of consistency in making the shot. Is it supposed to be this hard? Should I need to build momentum before taking the shot or should I just focus more on refining my accuracy with a trapped ball?

Refine your accuracy. Also if the game is dirty it slows things down. The flippers could need a rebuild too or at the least coil sleeves replaced.

If the game is clean and waxed and flippers working properly, all shots should be easy from a trap.

#3 6 years ago

Yeh, not sure what to tell you other than checking to make sure the flippers are fully powered and the game is pitched correctly. On mine, every shot (other than the kicker from a backhand) is easily makeable from both flippers.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Refine your accuracy.

Yes. This. Relatively speaking, that ramp is one of the widest in recent pinball, and this one shouldn't be a problem to have a high % of successful shots from a cradle.

Quoted from inf4nticide:

The only times I seem to make the shot are with the extra momentum from rolling down the inlane

On that particular ramp shot (and also many/most orbits), if you've got a consistent speed for the ramp return feed to the right flipper, the shot is actually EASIER to make on the fly. Any shot that has a long metal guide on one side of it that helps shots make it to the desired outcome become easier when shot from a wider angle -- and you always have to shoot EARLIER on the flipper from an inlane roller shot vs a cradled shot to account for the additional horizontal motion already on the ball from its roll.

If you measure the total angle (degrees) available from a spot earlier on the flipper vs later on the flipper, you'll see that you have a wider, more forgiving angle from the earlier on-the-fly position of the flipper.

I also use this same principle to improve my chances of making a Quorra shot on Tron by first hitting the L ramp, and then shooting Quorra on the fly. Particularly if the Zeus standup target between the L ramp and Quorra is hanging into the Quorra shot.

Does this makes sense?

Quoted from inf4nticide:

or on a rebound from the dragon spit or battering ram, and in those cases the ball is moving too fast for me to gain a sense of consistency in making the shot.

Definitely don't make a habit out of that. That's a bad habit trying to make a ricochet shot, especially from a kicker and especially on GOT's tight lower playfield that loves to punish you for missed shots off of those stand-up targets of death.

#5 6 years ago

The shooting earlier because of extra horizontal velocity definitely makes sense, it's something I've already been implementing. I am actually about to go play this game on a third machine that has actually been taken care of so hopefully it goes well

2 months later
#6 6 years ago

Where are you looking when you flip? Try looking at the flipper (like lazer focus eyes 6 inches from the glass type looking). I hit that shot maybe a quarter inch past the center of the flipper. So let the ball roll half way down the flipper from cradle, then another quarter inch or so. Once you get that spot dialed on your machine you should be able to make it 90% of the time. The trick is cueing your flip off of visual spacing on the flipper rather than guessing on the timing ( because your eyes are glued to the entrance to the ramp, which is wrong).

Added bonus that this method will still work when youre amped up in multiball... if you rely on timing, your perception of time is altered bu aderenaline and youll shoot early much more often.

Give it a try, let us know how it works for ya.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-lock-shot?hl=owenkhan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.