8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

One of the locations I play league at has a GOT, and ever since code update 1.21 (IIRC) there has been an issue where some of the light shows (ex. Blackwater jackpots and extra balls) will cause the flippers to shut down. The operator contacted Stern, and they sent him a new board along with the 1.22 code update, claiming it would fix the issue, however it didn't.

Anyone else been experiencing this issue, and if so anyone else have a fix?

What we speculate to be the problem (based on what Stern described) is that the Spike board system has a feature to decrease the power when game voltage gets too high (a similar safety feature to disabling the high power coils when opening the coin door), and so when the light show goes in full force this causes the game to think things are running too high, and to shut down the flippers as compensation. We tried it with the disable high intensity lights option enabled to test, however that still didn't fix it (although to be honest the light shows were still seemly just as intense anyways).

Interested to hear if anyone else knows about this or has a fix.

Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

Yesterday's code update fixes this.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Yesterday's code update fixes this.

As I stated in the post, the 1.22 update did not fix it.

#4 8 years ago

Well, that might be a flaky node 8 board, then. I had that problem, Stern sent another board and I swapped it out. Good for a week, then it went flaky again. When I updated the code yesterday, everything was fine on my machine. So if yours is still doing it, I'd call Chas and ask for a new node 8 board.

#5 8 years ago

Did you install the board before or after the 1.22 update? If after it's possible the node board itself did not update. Make sure you are not getting a tech alert for the board when you go into service menu, if you are then you need to update it. While I do have a replacement board on the way, the 1.22 update made all my flipper blackouts vanish so far.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Did you install the board before or after the 1.22 update? If after it's possible the node board itself did not update. Make sure you are not getting a tech alert for the board when you go into service menu, if you are then you need to update it. While I do have a replacement board on the way, the 1.22 update made all my flipper blackouts vanish so far.

Good point. The guy must be from Jersey.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

It was done before, and there was no operator error.

Is there any places to individually check the board firmware versions? I think I remember seeing that. And if so, what should the node board's read?

#8 8 years ago

Here ya go, it's under diagnostics... mine reads 0.16.5

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-light-shows-cause-flipper-shut-down and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.