371349412_280294791383651_655609389386986630_n (resized).jpg
371318912_273439315464555_5052372985924968948_n (resized).jpg
IMG_1962 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1967 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1965 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1879 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1882 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0248 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rob_g.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#129 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

My wish is that designers would focus on great game physics, by maintaining good risk/reward on all shots to punish players based on missing shots, rather than using a gimmick such as a flasher barrage to shorten ball times.
-mof

Steve Ritchie likes having his games bright.

Rob

#149 8 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Most lighting on new spike games including flashers are on rgb boards so its harder to mod or change

I do not like these little 'flasher boards' on the spike games. They may be ok in specific uses, but should not be used in the large plastic flasher domes like on the KISS slingshots. They are not as bright as a normal flasher.

Rob

#157 8 years ago

Is there an owners thread yet? How many have received their pro? I hope mine is here friday!

Rob

1 week later
#173 8 years ago

My GoT Pro arrived today. There are a few things in the design I have noticed that are different now. There is no coin door interlock switch on my game and Stern has gone back to the old style flipper coils (2 lug, KISS had 3 lug?). I don't find the lightshow anywhere near as bad as some are claiming, but before even 1 game was played we put 1.15 on it. The rules are going to take a long time to get the hang of so perhaps I will read the strategy guide that Dwight posted.

If there's no more coin door switch then coin door ball saver (still present) is a moot point.

The code is very good, and the dots are A LOT better than what you have seen in the Jack Danger videos.

Rob

#175 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

grats on the purchase rob. Curious to hear your thoughts on the pin vs the others in your collection. Considering a GOT PRO myself.

If you like combos, strategy and fast play then this game is for you. The sound and voice is absolutely wonderful and rich sounding. It makes a SAM game sound like AM radio. It seems you can fight 2 other houses at the same time which is kind of cool. There is A LOT to figure out on the game for sure! I think the software still needs a bit of tweaking because I got a second extra ball and 5 seconds later lit another extra ball for my third. I have no idea how that happened! The video mode is soon getting an overhaul which is good because the current one is pretty bad.

It's amazing how far along the code, sound and dots are compared to KISS. It's a night and day difference.

Rob

#177 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Nice. Thanks for the quick response. Have you heard about orbit shots not always registering? Have you found that true on yours?

I don't know about the orbit shots, but the upper right orbit gate might be a bit too low on mine. Otherwise it plays fine.

Rob

#184 8 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Great to hear the people happy with their purchases.
I have one on order but a couple of things a few guys have said has got me a little hesitant.
1. The right orbit rejects a lot and bounces around a bit due to width and shape of the inner right guide rail?
2. The sword of multiball lets out more than 1 ball into play when it shouldnt?
Anyone see any of those issues?

I think the issue with the right orbit might not be the guide rail, but the height at which the right gate is mounted. It's barely high enough to let the ball through with absolutely zero room to spare. It should be mounted about 2mm higher - well mine should have been. It's an issue sometimes, but not all the time.

I only had the sword let out 2 balls by accident once out of about 30 games. I would consider that a non issue. Mechanically, the ball lock is pretty sound in design and function. It's pinball, the ball is wild, shit happens!

Why hesitate and miss out? If you want one, buy one and have fun with it! No game is ever absolutely perfect in design. Any minor tweaks the game may need is far outweighed by how much fun the game is to play. This is the best, most complete release Stern has had in a long time. Or you can go buy KISS and keep waiting for code for that game.

Rob

#187 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

I noticed that you also own Star Trek.Is GoT different enough from ST?.The play doesn't fell redundant?.

GoT is very different from ST and no, I would not say it is redundant.

A game that more resembles ST would be KISS. For example, Klingon multiball plays exactly the same as Demon multiball right down to the roving jackpot shot.

Rob

#188 8 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Thanks rob. Thats a big help. Maybe it is possible to raise the Gate? Not much to tweak then. I spent 2 days tweaking my Avengers before it was playable
I do have a kiss and its a fun game. Lots of things need coding in still on that title. Its a 2 multiball game at the moment.

I think removing the rear upright playfield panel may be required to properly adjust the gate(s). There's 4 wood screws and 2 machine screws, but I'm not sure what else is needed to remove it at the moment.

I liked the initial code release for KISS, but the stigma (more like reality) of Lonnie programming it quickly caught up. Months of waiting and there were only a few minor updates released. It got boring real fast.

Rob

#190 8 years ago

Tonight I am going to adjust the pop bumper switches, or at least check them out. They need to be a bit more sensitive that they are right now. As evident that I have yet to reach "At The Wall" multiball.

Rob

#191 8 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

I've owned a pro and premium ST and Ropp stuffed that game imo. If Dwight wasn't on it the game would have been completey stuffed. Great layout crap code. I'll wager Steve Richie specifically asked that he not work with Ropp on his next title.
Does GoT take 4 or 6 balls? KISS has 6 but with good old Lonnie on the case I don't think we'll see that being used for a while.

6 balls, just like KISS. Perhaps it's the new standard for SPIKE games?

#192 8 years ago

Ok, maybe I'm missing something, but how do you disable the high voltage on the game?

Plus, why (rhetorical) is the GI off when doing the coil test? That's not very helpful in a low light environment!

There might be a bug in the game with the dragon shot during multiball. A few times I've had it hold a ball in there a really long time and got the extra ball immediately after lighting it because the ball was still in there. I wonder if the ball hold is by design or not? Or should it hold the ball at all during blackwater multiball? Tonight the game released the ball and then gave me a mystery pick with a ball in play (right after multiball). Other minor notes are the game over music could be louder and the video of the little guy, whatever his name is plays too fast...

Still a very solid playing game!

Rob

#202 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

the pops reward the reels not at the wall multiball. I believe that is achieve by completing the winter is coming hurry ups.

Yes, the pops award the slot machine reels and the rollovers advance the wall gear. Some bounce back up into the lanes helps. Wall MB is not a quick 'gimmee', you need to play for it if you want it.

spoiler: Hitting the flipper buttons in attract mode plays some excellent callouts. One of them, the girl says "Give me your money!".

Rob

#209 8 years ago

Am I the only Canadian pinsider to have this game?

Can we get this changed into an owners thread too?

Rob

#229 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Correct. So as of now, you don't have the game which doesn't prove that Rob_G isn't the only Canadian with the game.

It's not a competition!

Rob

#238 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Ok, HANG ON THERE... That is news to me. They went back to the 3 lug coils to have an honest to goodness hold circuit instead of the buzzing being caused by the on/off power cycle to keep the flipper up. That was going to be a nice feature of SPIKE games, no more buzzing. I've only played on location, and mine game is on order (this doesn't impact my purchase of course).
I'm just curious, are the buzzing flippers back? Wouldn't that be the natural thing with 2 lug coils? Or did they fix it some other way?

No, they don't buzz. According to the feature matrix these are new 'buzzerless' 2 wire designs.

Rob

#246 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

So after a weekend of play how do you like GOT vs the other pins in your collection? I know it's still early but how do you feel overall? Anything you really dislike about it so far?
TIA
SKB

Blackwater multiball lighting effects are certainly way over the top and not really well choreographed to the action going on. I don't mind the intensity, it just goes on too long and makes it impossible to know what you are supposed to shoot. 'Winter is coming' lighting effects are fine. About the only thing I dislike is the translite. Oh there's far worse like Met Roadcase so I can live with this.

Rob

#250 8 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

I think from what I have seen in photos and video. The GOT Pro has the Best translate. As a fan of the HBO show. I like that most of the main characters I have seen in the series are pictured on the Pro model . What do you not like about the translite ?

I don't watch the show so I don't know the characters. I guess it's not that bad really... But to me 'real faces' and pinball just don't seem to mix well. It's more about art and so forth I think.

#303 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I bet you could get close to 2 bills if you could get 5x playfield, Tyrell shot multipliers and max those out as well. Isn't the max multiplied shot 25x? How high does the stark base jackpot go? 75 million? That will get you there for sure.

Maybe Tyrell multipliers should not be constantly lit? Sounds like it's too lucrative compared to some of the other modes.

Rob

#306 8 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I've seen that on Targaryen.

I imagine score balancing a game like GoT must be difficult and time consuming.

Rob

#314 8 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

Anybody with a pro have issues with the spinner? I used mine at the Houston Expo this weekend and ended up removing the spinner. It started to hang at an angle that stopped the ball dead in its tracks and sent it to the flippers. I plan to call Stern tomorrow to see if I can get a new spinner assembly.

No issues with the spinner on my game. But I do have annoying issues with the top right ball gate not letting the ball pass smoothly 1/4 of the time. The odd time it will reject the ball too. It needs to be mounted slightly higher, but that might require some surgery to the back panel. I will email Stern first about it and see what they say.

The other annoying issue is the battering ram not registering hits which happens frequently. The right orbit sometimes does not register either. Both of these I think are software related.

Rob

#321 8 years ago

The right flipper failed on my GoT pro tonight. The problem seems to be the node board driving the flipper coil. I pressed on the board connector and a big spark came flying off it. I think the transistor is blown so my game is down waiting for a replacement board.

Rob

#323 8 years ago

There's a lot of SMT on the board and I don't want to mess it up because I'm sure it will need to be returned.

The flipper is connected to CN8 of the board.

Rob

20151117_222316.jpg20151117_222316.jpg

cn8.jpgcn8.jpg

#325 8 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

Did it fail for being held up too long as in earlier Sterns? I want to know because I will cradle a ball on the left flipper for quite a while during multiball modes.

I don't know. I wasn't playing it when it failed, someone else was.

Rob

#330 8 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

The pyramid on the Pro at High Life got blown out too, worse than that. Lots of air balls on the Pro.

Airballs? I don't get many on my game. Is there a specific target or part that is causing them? The flippers are a bit too strong on the game so I put the coil pulse at soft which really doesn't help. I've also got my game at a 7 degree slope.

Rob

#337 8 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

Somebody needs to come up with a way to protect the pyramid under the dragon. It looks like a stray ball must have banged the front left corner of the pyramid on my machine during the tourney this weekend. It chipped the corner off. See pic...

20151118_1030191.jpg

The dragon sometimes holds the ball during multiball and this might not be a good thing. I imagine an airball could happen from a second ball hitting the post when it's up?

Rob

#338 8 years ago

Does anyone's game have a coin door high voltage lockout switch? Mine doesn't and it makes troubleshooting switches a royal PITA.
because the coils are always active in switch test. Maybe they can program the coils to be off or have an option for that?

Rob

#340 8 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

I think they removed the high voltage switch on all spike games.
I think I am going to build a lean shield for the pyramid. I am still looking hod to attach it.

My KISS pro had the switch.

Rob

#347 8 years ago

I don't know what is wrong with my game right now. The right flipper started working again last night, then it died, and then it started working yet again. I didn't do anything with the game, just let it sit. It seems like a bad connection somewhere, which still could be the node board. It's certainly not the coil because 50v reads at both lugs which indicates there's no break in the coil wire. Voltage is present at the collector of the transistor as well. The cabinet switch is always working too even when the flipper is not.

Rob

#349 8 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

my friend was having issues with a weak flipper on his new KISS pro. he thought it was the coil, turned out to the be EOS needed adjusting, here is his advice;
if its the board issue swap the connectors for the flippers and see if it does the game thing on the left that it did on the right
the board under the play field with the transistors on it. or look at the EOS, his was opening too early.

The connectors cannot be swapped as they are not the same. The right flipper is CN8 (6 pin) and the left flipper is CN5 (4 pin).

Rob

#436 8 years ago

Shout out to Prairie Pinball here in Regina, Playdium and Stern for getting me a replacement node board within a couple of days. Very speedy service that exceeded my expectations! My game is now back up and running. The node board beside the left flipper was replaced because 3 coils were out, most importantly the right flipper being one of them.

Rob

#439 8 years ago

cool, once again...but maybe 'I beg my pard'..... GOT anyone? I had to adjust the battering ram..

There is a plate under the playfield that screws into the battering ram. On my game, the 2 mounting screws were loose in the shipping box and the plate was in the bottom of the cabinet. I played it quite a bit before noticing anything was wrong.

Rob

#441 8 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

Any issues with air balls off the right flipper? I turned the coil power as low as it would go and I still get the occasional air ball.

No airballs. But I let the ball settle most of the time from right flipper to left if it doesn't make the shots.

Rob

#476 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not sure what the holdup is but I'm sure they are selling a ton of these.

My friend has been waiting 5 months for his KISS premium! :O He should get it mid December.

Rob

#485 8 years ago

It's funny that as I play GoT, the voice in the game is picked up by my Samsung TV remote and it starts 'doing things' thinking that voice commands are being spoken to it.

GoT is a very fun game, no doubt about that and I'm sure Stern will sell a tonne of these. The pro may look stripped down, but once you play it you realize that it still pretty darn good! I lightly oiled the spinner hinges on mine and it certainly helps make it spin more free. I just put some oil on a small piece of tissue and then rubbed it on the hinge area. A Q-Tip would probably work better, but you get the idea. The spinner can be very rewarding for points when you get the value built up - even without a multiplier.

Rob

#491 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

BTW...I was thumbs-upping this quote only for the pro version. The others look better.

Stop encouraging him!

Rob

#500 8 years ago

I don't know how the value of super jackpot are calculated, but they do seem higher than before. When I first did the update I was only getting them at small values. I played today and got a 1x super jackpot of over 100 million points. The video mode still still needs a lot of work. The graphics are improved, but the gameplay is about the same and not very fun.

Rob

1 week later
#545 8 years ago

I would recommend in a home setting to set the lock difficulty harder. Make it so you need both lock targets to light a lock.

Rob

#556 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

So the guys that have had their pros now for awhile, is GOT still kick ass?

Yes!

Rob

#557 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Me personally, I like the game play, shots, and rules, but the light show is pretty harsh and hard on my eyes. During whatever mode the lights dim really low and hard to see the ball, then back to blinding light show.

There is a setting in the game adjustments to reduce the light show effects. I have not tried it though...

Rob

#596 8 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Do you think that having the mini Playfield is required in this game to avoid the "limited things to do"?
Every pinball game will eventually feel repetitive. The shots will never physically move within the machine. It's the job of the software to alleviate that feeling. Do you think it's possible that the software will adventually make this game feel unique enough to keep in a collection, or is it a lost cause?
Sorry to single you out, but this sounds pretty dismissive so soon after the games release. Do you usually find that games become repetitive so quickly?

No, not really. It's a bonus for sure, but not critical for the game being fun. There's still 4 multiballs to master in the pro version and the same number of houses to defeat. If money wasn't an object then sure I would probably trade my pro for a premium when they come available, but with the Canadian dollar sliding into oblivion it is difficult to justify the cost difference.

Rob

#607 8 years ago
Quoted from denmark71:

Well the ball got stuck again. Here is a pic of it. I'm going to leave the ball there and add another to the game until I can figure out a better fix. image.jpeg

The flippers are almost too strong on GoT. I have mine at about 7 degrees for this reason.

Did you wax your game?

Rob

#608 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Don't know how you can sell a game when the code is still in its infancy.

I sold my KISS and have not looked back. I want to see KISS get better, but in the meantime I like having GoT instead of KISS.

Rob

#610 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

But that one's not getting better. So...you know...good call.

I'm thinking GoT gets another update for Christmas too.

Rob

1 week later
#701 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Has anyone played as house Tyrell and maxed out the stark mode? Wondering what the stark value can jump to with 5x combo multiplier running. Like 300 million?

No idea

You are still waiting for your pro right? I don't think you will be disappointed at all because I'm still lovin' my pro A LOT even after 2 months of ownership. Great game!

Rob

#757 8 years ago

Funny that you guys mention airballs. I never had any on my pro until last night. Twice the ball went flying right back into the shooter lane and it's never done that before. I also had a few other weird bounces.... Must be the last code update ... lol

Rob

#763 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

So my GOT showed up at the local terminal today. I call to arrange shipping schedule and they said the pin wasn't on the truck when it got there! Not sure what to make of it, at first I laughed but now wondering what the hell happens if they never find it and how long I'll have to wait til it's rectified. Blah, this pretty much sums up my luck for 2015. Heres to Hoping 2016 is better. Lol.

LE or Pro?

Rob

#777 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

I am curious does any buddy's ball go all the way around when you shoot the left orbit. I played a LE on location and the ball did not make it the whole way around. The ball always went into the pops. The ball reacts the same way In all the gameplay videos I have seen too.

I think the orbit gates are mounted about 1mm or 2mm too low. They don't always let the ball pass easily.

Rob

#788 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

4. RobT is getting a premium so really no need to wait and see what version i'll like better. I'll play the pro and his premium a bunch and decide then if i need to upgrade or not and vice versa since he's not a big mini pf fan

I wish the design of GoT premium/le removed the target from the right ramp entrance and instead put a diverter on the ramp itself. So the ramp plays the same as the pro or it can feed the mini playfield.

Rob

#789 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

So a couple other initial setup impressions:
- Even though the throne isn't used in the pro, it really does look awesome. Kudos to stern for adding it.
- the dragon looks incredible!
- pf art colors remind me a lot of potc.

My friend and I found the game plays/feels better at about a 6.8 - 7 degree pitch.

Rob

#811 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

In either case, something I'd like to see in a future update is more effects and sounds when you get WIC mb.

I would like the music to be louder in WICMB

Rob

#857 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Is it just me, or does anyone feel like when the horn blows at the beginning of BFTW it reminds you of the beginning of Two Towers MB on LOTR? "To War!"

I don't know about that, but the music is just way too subdued, like half volume.

Rob

#858 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

image_(resized).jpg
This might be one reason it kicks me around so much. 7.9 degrees of pitch. Zoom!

I have mine set at 7. Any less and it just doesn't 'feel right'. The flippers are strong and can easily handle the higher pitch levels.

Rob

#878 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

But there's one call out that I can't stand and makes me shriek everytime I hear it, when the chick says "Get the super jackpot".

Yeah, this particular one is pretty bad.

Rob

1 week later
#938 8 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

I played the pro today and I was impressed. Not being a fan of the series, turned me off to the game (before I played it) I must say it is well laid out, intense and fun. I got a price on a cash deal for a pro and was wondering what people paid. If fellow pinsiders can PM me the price and where (I am in NY/NJ area) a cash deal, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support your local dealer. You will be glad you did if you ever need warranty and after sale support.

Rob

#994 8 years ago

2. you can backhand everything but 2 shots (the dragon with the left flipper and the right orbit with the right flipper)

You can backhand the dragon, but it is extremely difficult to do. I have done it a few times (out of MANY attempts) and you just need the right ricochet off the gold target on the right of the entrance. Since the standup targets can slightly shift position, this may change the dynamic of the shot.

Rob

1 week later
#1128 8 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Just got our Game of Thrones Pro in today.
Plays great.
It came with 1.17 code and since we did not have time to update we played a few games.
What is with all the sound stutter?
Is this a known problem and does 1.21 fix it?
On our first game the sound cut in and out so bad you could not understand most of the longer call outs.
It got better the longer we left the game running but never got 100% stutter free.

For the record, my Pro never had any sound stutter issue until one of the later code releases. It was only minor then, happening once during the first ball of the first game after being turned on. Since 1.21 the stutter is gone again. Sometimes the volume greatly increases for 1 or 2 seconds, but that does not happen often.

Rob

#1153 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

One other thing that hasn't gotten much mention and I've been really loving a lot lately is Rory McCann (The Hound) call outs! They are amazing and fits so well for this game and pinball in general. He nailed it!
The girl (forgot her name sorry), did a really good job too! Although she does have one call out that sort of bugs me, her call outs compliment the hound very well. but holy helol the hound is top notch fun and exciting!

Her "Get the super jackpot" is definitely cringe-worthy! Everything else is ok. A lot of the time the voice actors record several variations of the same quote so the programmers can use the best one. Maybe they only recorded one instance of this quote from her?

Rob

#1199 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Bottom line:
WHC
HOTK
IRON THRONE
All need a lot of attention to sound effects and call outs. But the rules to these 3 modes are great and much different than what we've seen in past sterns. It's refreshing to see. Just hope we get some beef to them soon

You're just never satisfied are you? I hardly ever make it to HOTK because I'm always trying different stuff as opposed to trying to complete houses. I'm sure I've had 3+ billion points without even making it to HOTK...

I would like to see a combo champ in the game if there isn't one already. I haven't played my games in a bit, just took a break from them. I was playing Bloodborne on PS4 instead.

Rob

1 week later
#1407 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

So, I have my first issue...
I have this in my apartment, so I want the shaker off. I turned it off in the settings but it still goes of when Area is counting down her list and with the kickback.
Is there a second setting somewhere to turn it off another time or this just a bug and I need to uninstall the shaker entirely?

Maybe just unplug it for now.

Rob

1 week later
#1765 8 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Can I offset the position of these counterweights to tone-down the volume a bit? I'm looking for a more subtle effect.

Yes, I set mine to 90 degree offset. Mine is the cointaker one.

Rob

#1859 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I did not have big expectations for GOT. I was worried when I sold my ST to get it that I might have made a mistake. Those fears have been laid to rest.

I am considering selling my ST Pro to fund an upgrade from GoT pro to GoT premium. The game is an absolute keeper for me!

Rob

#1910 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

One things for sure. The iron bank action button needs an overhaul! I still love KME's suggestion the best; give each house its own power via the button like Martel has.

The other day I cashed out IB with a 5x playfield multiplier going and I still only got about 2 million points. I don't think I have ever got above 4 million for it.

Rob

#1936 8 years ago

Who did the music on GoT?

Rob

1 week later
#2078 8 years ago
Quoted from greenhorn1:

How/When does the game decide to virtually lock ball 1 instead of physically locking it? Or is there something wrong on my machine? Most of the time I get the physical lock but every once in a while I will get credit for the ball lock but it will just release the ball from the sword ramp instead of launching a new ball.

It's a bug (I believe) that has always been there. What happens is that a hard shot to the lock causes the ball to bounce back further from the switches. When the ball is off the switches too long, it is not held in the lock.

Rob

2 weeks later
#2257 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I always choose greyjoy. I always go for Martel first for the add a ball.

That's the easiest house to beat with GJ because you don't even need to make the purple shots to complete it. I'm still thinking that's a bug..

Rob

#2291 7 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

Still think the pro looks better without the huge miniplayfield. I do have a premium on order though ?!?
Damn, which should I get? Pro or Prem? Money is not an issue.

Tough call. I like the art on the Premium the best, but I've always had doubts whether I would like the mini playfield or not. Money is an issue for me so I'll probably stick with my pro. If money wasn't an issue, well that might be different.

Rob

#2339 7 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

Here's my sign that Thrones is taking all of my time and I'm neglecting my other pins. I smack a bare lockdown bar every time the ball drains on my other games and I tried turning on Spider-man this morning by reaching under the right side of the backbox I'd love to kick whomever thought that change up right in the balls.
That said, I can't get enough of this game!

I find if you glue thumbtacks in appropriate places that it can alleviate some of this behavior.

Rob

#2423 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

So I was trying to see if there is a viable strategy for using the drops since the default setting is one LOL per game. I found one. Spinner level 4. To advance the spinner level you complete drop banks. Not sure how many per level. Maybe it increases as you advance the spinner level. It resets each ball, so I would say it's safe to try this strategy on ball one only or until your LOL lanes are used.
» YouTube video
Basically my whole score you see is from the spinner.

I've had my spinner value up there quite a few times. If you slightly lube the spinner you can do even better. I love how the sound changes as the value gets higher.

Rob

3 weeks later
#2754 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I haven't played this game for a couple months. Since making iron throne it has lost all its interest. Game is sold awaiting pick up. Getting to wizard mode on a game easily is a real bummer and those games don't last long.

As opposed to games you never get to the wizard mode on like MET and ACDC? With GoT, it's not just getting to the wizard modes, but the path you take can change how it all unfolds. But, I can understand that once you get a negative feeling from a game that it's probably time to sell it. I've got that feeling from ST right now where I just don't want to play it anymore - ever. It's the lack of polish on ST that annoys me and I know it will never be the game *I* want it to be. Dwight is probably going to be so busy on GB and finishing GoT that I don't see him having any time for cleaning up ST some more.

Rob

#2756 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

My outlanes are opened to the wider position. I think of have to remove the outlane posts or put lightning flippers in. I didn't feel the game was worth that. Getting to the wizard mode was part of the excitement for me and by doing so this soon I feel I've seen all there is to do. I prefer rule sets that are a little deeper.

I don't think deep always means more fun. I look at TSPP with all its rules and I don't really find it much fun. I do believe that GoT needs some work with balancing the house powers and quite frankly the mystery store isn't all that exciting right now. I'm torn between trading up to a premium, but I'm not just not sold on the mini playfield. I'm waiting to see how the GB LE and premiums play first.

Rob

#2757 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Plus ST is over 2 years old. Why should they revisit the code at this time?

Because there's still some moderate bugs in the code which do affect gameplay. For example, timers running in certain missions where there should be no timer and that affects the insert behaviour. Then, you can't really tell what shots are needed for the medals.

Rob

3 weeks later
#3005 7 years ago

...deleted as it's already brought up

#3007 7 years ago

right on. So, These are unused quotes in the code? There could be an adult mode coming in a future update

Who knows... I think ST holds the crown for the most callouts in code that aren't used. Many of the unused ones are really good too.

Rob

1 week later
#3093 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

This is my Lannister score. I had to scratch and claw to get this. What a pain in the arse!

After reading your message last night about Lannister I was able to get 2.5 billion on a game. It might be closer to 3 billion but I'm not at home to verify. The thing is, I never get enough gold the buy anything worthwhile. I haven't even seen the video mode available in quite a while and it's not turned off. I've been playing Lannister because I want to see what kind of gold I can get with it. I will post a picture when I get back home later.

Rob

#3099 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Dammit! I thought that might hold up. I'll circle back to Lannister after I hit the rest of the houses. Well done though. Great score.

It was 2.5 billion. I got 67 million WIC champion and 524 million HOC champion on that same game. Last night was the first time I really played it since doing the 1.29 code update.

I still want the music to be much louder during some of the multiballs. The start of WMB is just so ho-hum....

Rob

20160528_193239_(resized).jpg20160528_193239_(resized).jpg
20160528_193231_(resized).jpg20160528_193231_(resized).jpg

#3105 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Set your music attenuation in the feature adjustments (#40 I believe) to -30. If you have an external sub, set bass to 100 and treble to 85 in the utilities menu.
Weird thing about GOT, and I don't know if this is spike related or not, but I noticed the music attenuation doesn't affect just the music but a lot of the sound effects so setting the music attenuation really makes the sound pop! Especially for blackwater mb.

I tried this and the music was way too loud.

Rob

4 weeks later
#3298 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Play as greyjoy.
Beat the Martell house first

I still think Martell is buggy when playing as Greyjoy. It's far too easy to finish and the end animation doesn't play correctly either.

Rob

1 month later
#3405 7 years ago

I hope that the LoL inserts actually do something in a future update since they don't correspond with lighting the outlanes.

Rob

#3410 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

He's talking about the three inserts in front of the drops, not the inserts in the outlanes.

Actually, I am somewhat mistaken in my thoughts on the drop target inserts and how they behave. The bug(?) is that the LoL inserts keep advancing even when the outlanes are lit. If you have 2 inserts lit for example and use the LoL ball save, you only need 1 set of targets to light the outlanes again. That's if you have the game set to light the outlanes every 3 completions of targets. If you have no LoL inserts lit then would would still need 3 sets of targets to light the LoL ball save. Well, not so much a bug, but perhaps unintentional behavior. And if you have the game set to 1 LoL per game (default), then the inserts (and targets?) do actually become useless rather quick. Well.... the targets are supposed to increase spinner scoring, but the game doesn't tell you that is happening. Could it not say "Spinner now at xxxK, next value xxxK" for each target bank completion?

I think LoL should be reworked with the following changes:

- LoL setting for easy/hard where easy it both outlanes and hard is only 1 side lite and it alternates every sling hit?
- Add setting for once per ball. Once per game is too little and once per 3 target sets is maybe too much.

Rob

2 weeks later
#3547 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Grats Lisa!
Shaker and external sub are must haves IMO. The coin decal from beatmaster is pretty sweet and only $10.
Have fun, learn the rules, it's a fast shooters pin

How did you wire the external sub on your GoT? Did you go from the line out of the cpu board or the main cabinet speaker? How did you route the wire outside of the cabinet?

Rob

#3587 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I've completed once on current code. It definitely needs a special light show extravaganza and dramatic effect when completed. Other than that, it's a great mode!

I haven't been there yet. Lately I've been hooked on GB.

Rob

#3589 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

How have air balls been on your GB PRO? Sounds like the le is really bad. The one and only pro I played (on location) and had crazy air balls.

It has airballs for sure and most of those are from the left ramp. Part of the design issue is that the ramp flap extends past the targets at the ramp entrance. If you look at the right ramp on GoT for example, the ramp flap is short and is behind the targets = no airballs. One other issue is that like GoT, the flippers are just too strong. I really wish there was a separate power setting for the flippers on SPIKE games. Setting coils to 'soft' just isn't enough. Even the auto launcher is too strong on GB and mis-launches the ball because of that.

I never had airball issues with GoT, but certainly lock issues still with hitting the lock ramp too hard. I have GB and GoT both at 7 degree pitch because of the strong coils.

Rob

2 weeks later
#3666 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Because the factory translite doesn't look like this

Pinside seems to care more about art than gameplay and rules these days. Sad but true.

I'm not a fan of that translite.

I like this one better, but would not spend money on it...

Rob

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

#3682 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Yes! Stacking multipliers (combo and playfield) is the key to scoring in this game.

In stark contrast, the multipliers on GB are extremely difficult to get going, especially the 6x. I don't even think 6x is normally achievable by anyone but elite players or if you luck out and get them lit from a tobin award. In over 200 games I don't think I've ever had 6x (2x and 3x) going - oh wait, maybe once I did and drained right away.

Rob

#3684 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The overall game play is the stark contrast betwixt these 2 games.

True that.... It feels kinda weird to play GoT after some marathon sessions on GB. Why are these flippers so close together?? hahaha!

Rob

#3695 7 years ago
Quoted from davjoszie:

Are you aware you can select the middle lane on the plunge and award yourself 2x and 3x? You don't have to be an elite player to achieve that IMO

I suppose, but I'm usually going to scene starts. However I think I should change that strategy.

BTW, GoT still needs a super skill shot

Rob

2 weeks later
#3745 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinbally_1968:

the mpf has more to it, im sure you know. Besides, it is not always about getting the most points its also about variety. Im always happy to get the ball up there.
But yes, it could use more purpose.. its too beautiful to leave it just as it is right now

Sometimes I think the segregation of features between different models must be a royal PITA for the programmers. And it shows when the extra features are not always fleshed out the best in the code. Take the ACDC mini playfield for example. It's the poster child for 'lack of purpose' because it integrates so poorly into the scoring. Maybe there's some obscure strategy where it is more fun, but I've never seen it. The spinners on MET finally got a minor scoring rule in the last update. You see the pattern here....

Rob

3 weeks later
#3804 7 years ago

I must confess I haven't played any of my other games since getting my GB pro 2 months ago. Plus I'm still really liking GB as well... It is really weird to play so much GB and then play GoT where the flipper gap and angle are different. My shots are all 'off' on GoT now...

Rob

#3810 7 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Same thing happens if you play a SPIKE based game for a while and the go to a SAM based game. The flipper "snap" or power is different so it will mess with your shots too.

Flipper strength on GB and GoT is a bit too much.

Rob

1 month later
#3897 7 years ago
Quoted from Esoteric_rt:

Fingers crossed for a pre-xmas GOT code update?

It would be cool to have some code releases for the holidays. But, I think it won't be until some time in 2017.

Rob

6 months later
#4556 6 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Damn you Stern and your cheapo coil stops. At least now I know why my left flipper was sometimes sticking.

I wonder if those were old stock? The ones on my GoT pro (very first run) haven't had a problem, but the ones in ST, ACDC and IMVE have all been shit. It's probably not even 200 plays for the brass part to completely disintegrate.

Rob

#4565 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I haven't broke 2 million yet either boob so im.in on being a part of that support group lol.

2 million? I think you need to plunge the ball or something....

Rob

#4580 6 years ago

Is there any real worth in collecting the wildfire? Like the 'bash the old lady and grab her wildfire' mode for example....

Rob

1 month later
#4698 6 years ago

I've GoT a question about the super jackpot.. When playfield multipliers are lit, hitting a SJ still shows 1 X Super Jackpot on the display. If the 1X does not indicate the multiplied value, what does it represent?

Also a minor bug: If you light the extra ball from a shot to the kickback lane (at least on the pro), it also awards the extra ball right away.

I've been neglecting GoT for quite a while now. I had a long honeymoon with GB, but that is gone now. I'm thinking of moving out another game and it was a toss up between IMVE and GoT Pro. I'm not a fan of the TV show GoT, but I don't think a person needs to be to enjoy this game. Both games are fun, but there's just way more (fun/challenging) content in GoT than there is with IMVE. Although if artwork could kill, then GoT Pro would be guilty as charged. I just hate that pro translite... I wonder if a premium translite would look ok in the game? I've seen the other 3rd party ones - don't care for any of them. Anyhow yeah, IMVE is probably getting voted off the island to make room and help pay for SWLE.

Rob

#4706 6 years ago

I thought it was Her Boob.... or Hair Boob?

Rob

#4707 6 years ago

I would say it's a tight race, but each version has its strengths and weaknesses. LE should have black T molding instead of white because it matches the armor.

Rob

#4728 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Didn't Williams/Bally eliminate the EOS all together from their games shortly before the pinball division was shut down? Even STERNs in the early 2000's didn't have them, right? I wonder why they are back? what's the real benefit? seems like there's more chance of issues from what i've been reading, especially if you have to fine tune and bend a piece of metal just to get the right gap.

Without an EOS switch, the game can't strengthen flipper hold if the bat gets pushed down. So I think even with solid state flippers it's still necessary.

Rob

1 week later
#4746 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

To see my game crash go to the 2 hour 6m mark. Anyone seen this before?
» YouTube video

Have you ever had the all the GI stay off on Targaryen for an extended period of time (10 - 30 seconds)? Not the first one, and I don't remember if it was second or third.

Rob

#4747 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I'm cool with tweaks made to the house's to make them more balanced

Martel is too easy with Greyjoy for example? You just play the mode as normal and don't even have to make any Greyjoy shots... Plus there's some weird bug with Martel not ending and its animations continuing to play on after the mode is over or another one is started.

Rob

#4750 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

yep it happened to me in the past, i realized when you press both flipper buttons at the same time to bypass the intro in the targaryen modes it did that, well that's what i remember, i could be wrong...

Yes, that's it I think.

Rob

#4763 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Funny. I just did the same thing last night for the first time! Funny thing was I was trying to show off the MB stacks and got to IT instead. Haha. Go figure.
One thing I couldn't figure out is what I was doing after I completed all the castles. It seemed like the mode was still running and then when I drained out to one ball, the game started over.
Jump to 40 min mark to see my Iron Throne game. Then the few games after that I do the MB stacks if people wanted to see those.
» YouTube video

Good job!

Rob

2 weeks later
#4806 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Start as Grey Joy. Light and defeat Martell.

Isn't the caveat of playing as Greyjoy that the other houses are supposed to be harder to beat? Martell doesn't seem to have any added difficulty, making this a rather easy start.

Rob

2 months later
#5025 6 years ago

The 'gap' on LCD isn't bad. I made sure to mask the sides so there is no backbox light bleed visisble from the sides.

Rob

3 weeks later
#5136 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

This is one of the biggest reasons why I stink at the premium. I cannot reliably backhand or forehand the right ramp.

I watched Bowen's papa tutorial on GoT LE and was really surprised how many rejects he was getting on that right ramp. The ball would just go up half way and then come back down. While he said Castle Multiball didn't score well, he still did get 120 million from it. I've never played the LE/Premium, but I did want the Premium after I got a pro. However I never did make that upgrade and stuck with my pro. Money was really the question there...

I watched Stern's making of GoT video and noticed that the whitewood originally had 2 spinners! Too bad that wasn't in the final game.

Rob

j (resized).jpgj (resized).jpg

1 week later
#5168 6 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Oh snap! Just realized it didn't upload haha

Is it sticking? Will it spin free if you hold the switch arm down?

Rob

124 (resized).jpg124 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#5191 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Well im taking one for the team, my game is GONE! Here's the picture to prove it! Dwight can now push the update through as planned

It's about time this roadblock was removed.....

Rob

#5200 6 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

If we were to see an update, what would it take to balance the houses a bit more?
Martell: restrict to only one add-a-ball per game? Or, using the add-a-ball doesn't restart ball saver?
Baratheon: start with two free wall advances (or perhaps, each set of drops counts as a wall advance), and make Wall more valuable?
Lannister: start with way more gold (2000?) and add lots of new stuff to Mystery (like being able to qualify houses, or buying your way to playfield multipliers)?
Stark: higher WIC hurryups and change WHC to only require 3 to start?

Martell is far too easy to complete with GreyJoy. I thought there's supposed to be extra purple shots to make to steal a house power? Martell is just the same shots are if you are playing as Martell.

Lannister could award more gold, but I think it needs something else as well.

GoT is an enigma for me. I bought mine when the pro was first available a few years ago and it's been more of a casual game for me than anything. I never really got hardcore into the rules as some have and I've never been to Iron Throne. The flippers on mine are so strong that I had to set the playfield slope to almost 7 degrees to counter that.

Rob

#5208 6 years ago

I noticed GoT is now in the Stern archive, along with TWD and KISS. Yet oddly enough WWE isn't (unsold inventory?).

Rob

3 months later
#5351 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Here's what it looks like. I'll have to order through a local distributor. Marco had it for 29.95 but they are out of stock.

In the interim, it could be welded too.

Rob

1 week later
#5356 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Well I'm officially out of the club sad to see it go, but tired waiting 2 years for an update lol.

An update for better balanced house powers?

Rob

1 month later
#5447 5 years ago

Anyone ever have the GI get stuck in a dimming state? I hit a Targaryen shot while another lamp effect (ball save or ball lock) was going on and that caused the GI to stay dim with no RGB inserts lit. It's the first time I ever had that happen.

I know about the following bugs:

Multiball stack bug
Martel playing against greyjoy causing some weirdness

What else is there?

Such a fun game, best spinner and super jackpot shots I think!

Rob

2 months later
#5529 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I agree. It’s seems to have a pretty small following. I would be shocked if they sold 750 premiums and I bet you could still find a LE or two NIB.

The art certainly didn't do it any favors. One of the best super jackpots of any recent game in my opinion and just an overall very fun game.

Rob

8 months later
#5857 4 years ago

I found GoT (pro) to be a really nice shooting game, unlike IMDN for example. I would certainly own another if money wasn't an issue.

Rob

#5922 4 years ago

Could we be getting an adult mode? I doubt it, but like love to hear the hound yelling about eating every fucking chicken in this place.

I need to watch the show someday. And maybe get another pro.

Rob

#5924 4 years ago

Can't wait to watch the stream.. Makes me wish I had my pro still. My retinas have finally recovered well enough for more punishment.

#5926 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Just finished playing a sweet game on my GOT. I sure do hope they leave the spinner rules alone. They are perfect the way they are. I was crushing it over and over and over for about 38M a hit. Love this game!

Definitely one of the most fun spinners to rip in any recent game. I love how the sound changes as the scoring gets more lucrative.

Rob

#5983 4 years ago

Is there some way the game tells the player what the button power is?

Rob

#5988 4 years ago
Quoted from Tungs10:

Seems to be by solid color of that houses power (doesn't always have to be the house you're playing too). Looks like you can buy Martel's power or Greyjoy. The color will tell you the power I believe.

I'm sure Dwight will squeeze something in there somewhere

Rob

#5989 4 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

Really great update and additions!
Will hotk (and path towards iron throne) not become too easy when being stark?
Starting a mode on ball 1, ball 2, and ball 3 already gives you 3 guaranteed house completions when using the direwolf.
Also a free spotted targaryen when being that hosue is 3 modes less towards iron throne
That in combination with house completions on the upper playfield: maybe too easy then?
It would maybe be good that competition play would randomize the house choice but all the same for all players.

Well, Dwight did say when originally designing the house powers it wasn't meant to be 'balanced', but rather for how different players wanted to approach the game. Less skill players may take Direwolf I suppose, but more skilled players may avoid it if it is too easy.

Rob

#6029 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

More beta code goodness. Here’s the Pro!
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/453789913

Bug?

At the 22 minute mark the player shoots the right ramp with the sword lit, but the sword does not appear to be awarded. Or if one was awarded, it is not shown because the replay animation is playing. I can't remember if you can have stacked swords available on the right ramp?

Rob

#6047 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Code update is great, but as I feared Targaryen is way overpowered. Second game I sat on the Throne...something I had only done once or twice the entire 3+ years I've owned the game. Didn't really feel like I earned it though without fighting the dragons. I still say if Targ is going to spot the house, they should make the rest of the houses harder to defeat. Adding a dragon hit to "call them in" would be perfect.
Pretty sure Stark is going to be a similar problem. Insta-killing a dragon per ball is just too much. I'd rather see it just knock a bunch of health out. Maybe kill the first, 3/4 the second, 1/2 the third or something like that. Dire wolves are badass, but not enough to kill dragons!
These are just wishes/minor critiques though...I absolutely love this update overall! Dwight and his team are awesome!

I'd say make the ability to choose Targaryen a game setting and disabled by default, but enabled when installing easy settings. If I still had my pro, I know I would prefer this as a setting.

Rob

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rob_g.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-kicks-ass?tu=rob_g and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.