371349412_280294791383651_655609389386986630_n (resized).jpg
371318912_273439315464555_5052372985924968948_n (resized).jpg
IMG_1962 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1967 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1965 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1879 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1882 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0248 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jediturtle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5472 5 years ago

Every time I see this thread title I can't help but think "it does...it really, really does".

That is all.

3 weeks later
#5505 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I don't know much about this game... Kind of flew under the radar but I like SR games. From the videos it seems pro is sufficient but am I wrong? Is premium the only way to go? For example I think GB pro is a waste compared to prem

There are many of us who think the pro is the only way to go on this one. Don't get me wrong...the prem/LE is a good game, but the pro is better in my opinion. The pro has better flow, better visibility, better theme integration (you actually hit the dragon shot for Targaryen, the "far north" lanes to build towards The Wall multiball, etc).

That said, the prem/LE add some great stuff. The smooth flapping wings on the dragon are cool (pro has a simple coil pushing them up and down), the upper playfield adds different shots and strategies, the light show is amazing (pro is good too, but not this good) and the ball going on to the throne is a cool trick. Plus the LE has a really beautiful art package.

You can't go wrong with either, but for me the pro is the way to go.

As for strategy, I like stacking Lannister with Greyjoy. That way when I miss a Greyjoy shot, chances are I am lighting a Lannister shot in the process. But yea...multiball stacked with these two really helps. I can hit Hand of the King semi-regularly, but I've only sat on the Iron Throne twice in the year and a half I have had it. Freaking Drogon is usually the only thing standing between me and the throne. What a rush battling him!

To me that is the perfect challenge level...a great mini-wizard mode that can be achieved during a good game, and a final that is achievable, but usually JUST out of reach. It is one I know I can do, but rarely enough to keep me coming back for more. Right now I am finding the same thing with Spider-Man. Superhero is always just out of reach. I've gotten so close I can taste it, but haven't quite gotten there yet. Soon.

5 months later
#5715 5 years ago

Finally going to be getting a Color DMD for my pro at MGC this weekend. Can't wait! Still love this game!

3 months later
#5995 4 years ago

Great stream, and amazing update. Can't wait to load it up!

I agree a bit with the Stark and Targaryen powers maybe being too strong. For my, Targaryen was 100% always the toughest thing to complete, as it should be. I can't count how many times Drogon was the only thing standing between me and the Throne, and that is a good thing. I have actually done it though, and if I can do it...it's not too unobtainable, LOL. I understand the fact that the shortcuts will result in much less points, and that is good. Either way I love the changes, but if it were up to me I would massage it just a hair. In my opinion, Targaryen needs to continue to be a legit threat on the way to the Iron Throne.

My 2 cent suggestions:
Stark: Love the direwolf idea and I'm good with how they work other than maybe Targaryen. Wolves are badass, but they can't defeat a dragon. I would keep the ability to use them against Targaryen, but not for an instant kill. As it is you can take out one dragon per ball. I would instead let them do heavy damage to them, but not kill them. Maybe it takes out 3/4 of the first ones health (or even kill the first one maybe), 1/2 of the second one, and 1/3 of Drogon? Still a huge advantage, but not quite the challenge killer it is now.

Targaryen: I LOVE that we can now choose this house!! But I think giving you the automatic spot of the dragons with no repercussions (other than lost points) is a bit much. I would rather see it like Greyjoy, where you get a tough mode spotted, but you "pay for it" by making the other modes all harder. It would be nicely thematic to force a dragon hit or two to end each mode. Again, huge advantage not having to fight the dragons, but you then have the added challenge of "calling them in" to defeat the other houses. A nice dragon roast animation would be a nice cherry on top, LOL.

Again...not complaining what-so-ever about what we are getting. It's a huge update, unexpected, and very welcome. It is going to elevate what is already one of my favorite games. Great job Dwight and crew!

#6043 4 years ago

Code update is great, but as I feared Targaryen is way overpowered. Second game I sat on the Throne...something I had only done once or twice the entire 3+ years I've owned the game. Didn't really feel like I earned it though without fighting the dragons. I still say if Targ is going to spot the house, they should make the rest of the houses harder to defeat. Adding a dragon hit to "call them in" would be perfect.

Pretty sure Stark is going to be a similar problem. Insta-killing a dragon per ball is just too much. I'd rather see it just knock a bunch of health out. Maybe kill the first, 3/4 the second, 1/2 the third or something like that. Dire wolves are badass, but not enough to kill dragons!

These are just wishes/minor critiques though...I absolutely love this update overall! Dwight and his team are awesome!

#6053 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

What was your final score?

2.5 billionish. I totally get that your points suffer taking the shortcuts. I generally do not care about points when I am not competing. I'm all about the journey. The more I think about it though, I do like that there is the option to make the path to the throne easier, along with so many other ways to play it. In my perfect world, I'd love to see those couple tweaks, but honestly, it's really awesome as is. So many options, and I think he really nailed giving a strategy for everyone. You can take a quick charge to the throne, or you can make multiballs quicker (or longer), or you can give yourself a free ball save, rack up the multipliers, etc, etc. There is a great power for just about any scenario, and for the most part they make total sense thematically even. Just brilliant stuff. Loved this game before...love it more now!

#6068 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yes.
Also stop picking Targaryen and stark if it makes the game too easy. Haha.

This was my realization last night. I've decided I haven't truly beaten the game until I have sat on the throne as all seven houses. So that's my new goal.

I can see picking Targaryen from time to time when I just want to get to IT without too much trouble (still not easy, but way more obtainable), because it's a cool mode I haven't seen much of or done well in. I will likely take one of the other houses usually though. For me the dragon battles, especially Drogon, are a huge highlight of the game. For the most part, Drogon IS my wizard mode, and that battle is INTENSE. That is what pinball is all about to me. I can't see denying myself of that part of the game very often, but it's really cool to have the option to skip past it to the stuff I do not usually get to see.

I do also appreciate how thematic it is. Since the Targaryen mode is literally fighting against the dragons, it wouldn't make any sense to do that if that is your house choice. Most of the other houses have modes that are not a direct battle against the house, so it isn't weird to have to complete your own house mode. That is great attention to detail.

I just had to change my mindset a little bit. When you boil it down, it's a lot like Star Wars, where certain characters make it much easier to get to certain planet multiballs by skipping some modes. But sometimes you just feel like fighting a Rancor, so Luke is your man, even if it's a lot harder to blow up the Endor Death Star that it would be with Han. Of course in this case none of them really feel like a shortcut to the Emperor, but the theory is the same.

#6092 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Just read that and thought “that’s a cool thing to do! I’ll do it!”
Then I thought ... “wait? Didn’t I do that already?” I seem to remember writing about it.
Searched on this thread and nothing ... Started doubting myself. A real “senior moment”. Lol. Finally found it on Facebook. Had to find it for my own sanity. Haha.
rd[quoted image]

Haha...nice! I just finished my second one...the other "shortcut" method, Stark. Now, I'm still keeping an open mind about it not being too overpowered, but wow! I hit Iron Throne on ball one (full disclosure it was actually an extra ball, but still). Beat Iron Throne for the first time (holy crap that was cool!). Got to Hand of the King a second time, and ended up two modes away from the Throne a second time. I'm freaking exhausted but it was fun! I obliterated any score I've ever gotten...almost 28 billion. 25.5 billion of that was IT. So much fun, but I still feel like I'm cheating by not actually fighting the dragons. Two houses down, five to go. No more shortcuts now!

Man I love this game!

27157726-4DA6-4139-B34D-E49F94AF6501 (resized).jpeg27157726-4DA6-4139-B34D-E49F94AF6501 (resized).jpegB35A4BA6-C7EC-4858-A3B2-C6913EF43EAE (resized).jpegB35A4BA6-C7EC-4858-A3B2-C6913EF43EAE (resized).jpeg
#6093 4 years ago

Does anyone else's game seem "snappier"? Not sure if I'm imagining it, but the coils seem more crisp and strong after the update. I know the system code was updated, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

Also, so thankful for the backbox dimming setting during game. Love that feature!

4 months later
#6279 4 years ago

I've been playing with Baratheon a bit lately. I like that it makes Wall really quick to get into, and the Lord of Light button action is an interesting twist. I find it to be very similar to the BK:SoR magnasave, where you have to anticipate the drain ahead of time, be quick on the draw, and sometimes waste it if the ball decides bounce into the inlane instead.

Is it just me or did Martell really get the short end of the stick with the update? Now every house has a persistent advantage, plus a button ability. Martell didn't have a persistent advantage added. That free add-a-ball doesn't seem quite as attractive anymore, to the point where I rarely choose it.

Such a great game...I love all the choices and different ways of tackling it.

#6281 4 years ago
Quoted from T7:

IMO Martell is the one house that didn't need an upgrade, as it was arguably the best. Martell is still a great choice.

I agree it doesn't NEED anything, but a small benefit (something along the lines of Stark's WIC increase) would be nice, for consistency sake if nothing else. I admit that is nitpicky though.

#6283 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

From a competitive standpoint, most people still pick martell and win. Haha

LOL...that's true. Bad choice of words saying it was less attractive...I meant more so for everyday/casual play. When competing I still pick it too...sticking to what I am used to. I am glad the other houses are interesting enough now to experiment with during casual play though!

1 month later
#6314 4 years ago

The title of this thread always makes me smile. Every time it gets bumped up, I think to myself "yes...yes it does". I lean towards the pro, but all of them are awesome machines. Probably my all time favorite, or very close to it.

3 months later
#6355 4 years ago

WTF? I mean Kiss is a decent game, but it can't even tie GoT's shoes. Seriously. Can't wrap my head around that one...

2 months later
#6416 3 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Has anyone been able to purchase the side rails for Stark for the stark side and Lannister for the Lannister’s side of the cabinet? If so then where? I’ve only seen options to get either both Stark or both Lannister

Nope, not an option, unfortunately. I had to buy both sets (thankfully from a distributor that was closing them out a year or so ago), and then I was able to sell the other halves (actually, I traded them towards an EM, which worked out pretty well). They shouldn't be too tough to sell as anyone with a premium could use them without it looking wrong (and many people don't care about having the opposites on a pro...even though that would have driven me crazy).

2 weeks later
#6490 3 years ago

I've been playing a lot as Baratheon lately, which makes Wall Multiball easier to get into. Being the pro qualifies Wall at the top lanes, that is one situation where a full plunge can have an advantage. Plus my machine is very friendly with the feed, allowing for an easy catch, so I have never really looked at a full plunge as being dangerous. From there I use my ball save time to light Lord of Light, which is more valuable to me than lighting lock (and the rebound usually give me both anyway). It USUALLY works out well.

#6494 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It has nothing to do with the danger of the plunge. A full plunge and a short plunge have the exact same feed.
It solely has to do with playfield validation.
For example:
Lock a ball. Short plunge to a catch on either flipper. You try and shoot a ramp, brick and go SDTM. You get the ball back. Had you done that after a full plunge, you dead.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
2 months later
#6596 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Get there using Greyjoy if you want more of a challenge.

Was just going to say that. Any Iron Throne is an awesome accomplishment, but Targ is definitely the easiest path by far. Stark can also be "easy" if you use direwolves on the dragons. Basically, dragons are mean and are usually the only thing standing between me and the throne, LOL. I've only done it a few times in the 3+ years I have owned it, and only once I think with something other than Targ or Stark. I have barely ever played as Greyjoy at all...I know my limitations, LOL!

#6603 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

Greyjoy is a tough one for sure. I have been trying out Lannister to try and blow up Stark/Lannister on Blackwater with multipliers. Is there any interesting strategies with other houses in the new rules? I haven't quite figured out how to play the other houses yet.
Thanks everyone.
Oh and I did put Invisiglass in it already and the pyramid plastic was broken so I just ordered a mod to replace it as they are cheap.

I really like Baratheon. The combination of quicker Wall multiball and the button press Lord of Light ball save is pretty awesome. My usual strategy is to light the regular Lord of Light first, so if I'm quick enough on the button hits, that's four outlane ballsaves per game. The second thing I usually do is light Greyjoy, and (on the pro) that brings me to the upper lanes which build toward Wall multiball anyway, so with Baratheon by the time I light Greyjoy, Wall is also ready to go. It lets you get a lot of stuff rolling pretty early on in the game.

The code in this game is just so good. The different strategies that the houses bring make for some interesting choices and it lets you change up how you play regularly. Doing that while keeping it easy to understand, not to mention fun, makes Dwight one of the best in the business. And yes...that battle with Drogon is one of the most intense, adrenaline pumping battles ever.

#6625 3 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Cost to Australia from dealers is about the same. I want a cheaper deal than that

The biggest bummer is they didn't make a mixed set. So if you have a pro and want the house symbols to match the art, you have to buy two sets. Looks great though...worth the effort. And the premium guys can buy your opposite sides.

1 month later
#6696 3 years ago
Quoted from nerbflong:

Ya, big dots is LCD. I'm an LCD fan all the way. Most games are on big dots, a few on tile mode. Hires looks to smeary for me.

Big Dots all the way in this house.

2 weeks later
#6767 3 years ago

Oh man...what a great mode, and one you do not see often if not specifically shooting for it. Going to have to go for that again soon...been awhile for me too. Brilliant mode, and really feels like you are in a blizzard. Awesome light usage. Dwight is the best.

#6770 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Everything you guys say about this machine is true...and I keep taking a break from JP and STh to walk over and play this one. And I remember how truly great it is and how you can play it so many different ways to keep it fresh. Absolutely wonderful.
Then I think back to people on this site, in typical Pinside fashion, just saying how ugly the playfield is and dismissing the entire game because of how it looks. It happens every time here, as if this were an art forum and not a pinball forum. It's really frustrating to those of us who haven't completely lost our f**king minds.

I still can't see what the problem is with the playfield art. I love it. Sure, the cab and translight (pro at least) are ok at best, but I find the pf beautiful.

#6800 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Crazy. I’ve never had a speaker work unless the the speaker wire is hooked up the same way from speaker and receiver. I must be lucky or unlucky depending on how you look at it. Haha.

Yeah...that's really weird if not borderline impossible. Out of phase (swapped wires) will sound weird, but should work (as long as we are talking actual speaker (signal) wires, not some sort of power). Very strange...go figure.

#6802 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Then why are speaker wires marked if it doesn’t matter? It’s bad for the speaker if they are out of phase?

I don't think it's bad for them generally...it will just sound funky.

According to this article, the only way it causes damage is if it's a dual voice coil. So I guess if your speakers are like that, that would explain why they do not make any noise when wired out of phase. It's subwoofer specific, but should cover regular speakers too I think.
https://www.mtx.com/library-phase-discussion

1 year later
#6904 2 years ago

I personally find the LED version to be very piercing and harsh on my eyes. The LCD is fully customizable, including different dot types. You can stick to the traditional look if you want. It isn't quite as purely crisp as the LED, but it looks VERY similar to a normal DMD. I prefer the DotsXL setting. It keeps the traditional look, but with slightly larger dots which fill in the gaps more and make animations look more fluid. Either version is a huge upgrade though.

As for the gap on the LCD version, it doesn't bother me too much, but there is a gasket made to fill in that gap. LED is definitely the more perfect swap fit though.

#6906 2 years ago
Quoted from PunishersLEMC:

Care to post a picture? Jediturtle Thank you

I can’t really do it justice but here’s a couple. In one I took it from a steep angle to show the gap that the LCD leaves. You do not see it straight on but from the side you can see in a bit.

6C886405-D73D-4A53-97F1-A21337048020 (resized).jpeg6C886405-D73D-4A53-97F1-A21337048020 (resized).jpeg71DD6016-267A-4764-A866-7B7A2CF02A57 (resized).jpeg71DD6016-267A-4764-A866-7B7A2CF02A57 (resized).jpegC5F894CA-E52E-4861-A6F6-3F59EEBC0777 (resized).jpegC5F894CA-E52E-4861-A6F6-3F59EEBC0777 (resized).jpeg
#6909 2 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

You can control the brightness on the LED, have you ever tried that? I vastly prefer the LED and fitment is one of the reasons.

I didn't realize there was a brightness control as I do not own any of the LED version. I have seen many of them and they all seem set to the "laser to the brain" level. Thanks for the heads up. Might try one someday, but honestly I'm pretty happy with the LCDs and DotsXL. Nice that there are options for everyone though. Can't go wrong.

2 months later
#6971 1 year ago

Fighting Drogon is the #1 most intense, adrenaline filled mode in pinball. I love that you can play as Targ for the "easy" path to the Iron Throne, but I never feel like it truly counts unless you go through the dragons. Just an amazing machine all around. I prefer the pro personally, but the prem/LE is also great. Two very different machines, both definitely have their merit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsford, NY
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jediturtle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-kicks-ass?tu=jediturtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.