GoT_1_RCP (resized).jpg
GoT_Installed2_RCP (resized).jpg
GoT_Installed1_RCP (resized).jpg
GoT_2_RCP (resized).jpg
BA4E3800-01D8-478E-BD12-0B517754BDC5 (resized).jpeg
20201121_080823 (resized).jpg
20201121_080820 (resized).jpg
20201121_080811 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Good-Times.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6780 1 year ago

Hi, I'm a few days into my new acquisition (Pro) and so just learning the basics. Thanks Chuck for your tutorials, the short plunge is really smart. One question I have with the house rules - in what circumstances would you want to pass rather than attack?

#6782 1 year ago

Hoping someone can verify something for me. I'm switching out my stock speakers and noticed they are wired out of phase. Can someone tell me if the right speaker on theirs is also wired this way?

IMG_4894 (resized).jpgIMG_4895 (resized).jpg
#6785 1 year ago

Thanks - it is weird. But from a brief search it seems to be what they're doing on Spike 1 systems - perhaps for some fake surround sound effects (at the expense of coherency and bass output). More interesting is the fact that they're using red wires for negative. Pins 1 and 4 here are the left and right negative terminals! So I've reversed the wiring on my left speaker so both have red on the negative.

I need some nylon spacers to recess the new speakers so I can fit the grill back on lol, although they seem to fit aesthetically like this too

Edit - scratch that, I'm reading the plug upside down lol. Carry on!
IMG_4901 (resized).jpgIMG_4902 (resized).jpg

#6789 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s right. Don’t ask me to explain. Haha. If the sound works they are right.

Ha I want evidence! But seriously, out of phase speakers will still work, and I'm going with in-phase which is sounding good to my fickle ears. Next project is my 18" sub bin

#6792 1 year ago

So if red and black are reversed they are out of phase (to another speaker that is correctly wired). Audio signal is purely a voltage - the higher the voltage, the more the cone moves. If one speaker is wired incorrectly it will always work, but when the correct speaker is pushed forward, the incorrect one will pull backwards. So you end up with some frequencies that may be cancelled out, and sounds will reach your ears with incorrect timing so it will sound 'off' to the brain. But they will still always work. It's all about maximising the sound quality (to me) so I'll keep tinkering

#6795 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Then why can I go to my stereo downstairs right now, and switch the black and red wires on my surround and then none of the speakers make any sound what so ever?

That's only possible if your receiver has some kind of phase-protection circuitry (I can't imagine why, but it's all I can think of). Trust me, I've been in the audio industry over 15 years and I've also just done it on my GoT

1 week later
#6834 1 year ago

Hi guys, my (Pro) dragon is sometimes not holding the ball when it should (eg mystery), are there any obvious places to check for with this?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Good-Times.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside