371349412_280294791383651_655609389386986630_n (resized).jpg
371318912_273439315464555_5052372985924968948_n (resized).jpg
IMG_1962 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1967 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1965 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1879 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1882 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0248 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 8 years ago

Flow, flow, flow.

We already have tons of pinballs where the ball returns the flipper on nearly every shot. It's just not that interesting anymore. I'm glad Steve Ritchie is trying other things.

And if you don't agree with me it looks like you're in luck with the Pro, and you save money!

I'm just saying, Star Trek was a super smooth flowing game with tons of flipper return shots. Let the man break out into other things. He was once known for upper playfields you know.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

JT went outside the square with WWE and that game gets a flogging at every turn. Don't blame SR and JB for sticking to known formulas. Moreover they probably have been given a clear directive not to stray too far. The upper pf for Ritchie is nothing too daring imo.

Sometimes you take a risk and it doesn't work. WWE's theme pretty much guaranteed I wasn't going to like it anyways.

I'm not saying Steve went crazy daring here, it's still a smooth shooting game. But I just get tired of people complaining about anything that will affect how fast the ball gets back to the flipper. I like pinball for lots of reasons, not just hitting ramps over and over.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

If both were the same price I would still be more interested in the pro here.

Well then luckily for you that the Pro model not only exists, but is also cheaper!

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Ha I'm Taking notes on Fattrains Skills with the Ladies! Look at how smooth he is! Go Train!

He just shows them his selfie from inside his yellow Vette and they melt, it's amazing.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I've heard tron is next on the color dmd. I guess we will find out soon enough. But I don't think it will color well either

Last I heard it was coloring great!

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Cool. Can't wait to see it.

Me too, it's the last uncolored DMD game I own.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from Jojo1111:

True, but the ramp still has a drop target in front! (that kills flow!)

I've reached the point where I can no longer tell what's a subtle joke about flow being overrated, and what people are really serious about.

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I don't have much time on Tron but if it is colored, wouldn't that mean games like IM, TF and SM could be done as well?

It was never that they couldn't be done, just that it's an enormous PITA. Tron has shorter clips, and they're more isolated against black, not as gnarly.

Doesn't mean the other games won't happen, there are always new ways to tackle problems.

Bottom line is they've already announced Tron, I'm not leaking a secret. And when it is, I'll buy another ColorDMD!

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

There is no reason why (in the technology) that those frames can't be replaced with actual movie frames even if they were captured as stills at 10fps or whatever awful frame rate those movies have. The source content does not need to be the DMD dots. Smart DMD may be the way to go here.

That would require more technology and engineering than ColorDMD currently possesses, right now the only way to do that would be to FAST or P-Roc the game, and recreate the rules from scratch, and play movie clips off the embedded PC. Someone was trying that with Iron Man, but it's a huge pain too.

Thing is even if you did an add-on that was more like ColorDMD in functionality, as far as not needing to redo the rules and intercepting and replacing the dots on the fly, it would be a ton of work, and then you wouldn't legally be able to sell it without the rights to the movie clips. And good luck getting those.

So you're right, technology wise it's not impossible. But practically speaking I can't see it ever happening.

#78 8 years ago

Stern has been admitting video is coming for a while now. It's not a question of if, just when.

I actually kind of hope Ghostbusters has dots, I don't want ripped movie clips for that one. Please, please no ripped movie clips dots! Metallica level dots would be cool. Custom color animations on an LCD would rule of course, just hard to see that happening.

As for the stand ups being dangerous on GOT, definitely agree. They'll end your ball quick from my short experience playing.

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Actually, the technology exists today outside of re-coding the game from scratch (which is a ridiculous suggestion). Both colorDMD and smart DMD decode frames and swap frames on the fly. While the tools may not exist in the colorDMD software toolkit they send to their customers, this is not something that would be a significant task to create for the developers of the technology. I think everything exists to do this with smart DMD today.

Recoding the game isn't a ridiculous suggestion, it's the only way to do it right now. It's easy for someone to say "not a significant task", but actually what you're talking about is nothing at all like what ColorDMD and SmartDMD do right now. Utterly different software task, utterly different hardware requirements. Impossible with the kits/products currently being sold and built.

No need to believe me, ask the developers of either product. Simply impossible with the current state of things. Both ColorDMD and SmartDMD do some smart things with code, but replacing frames with high resolution video and overlaying dynamic information over them (score etc) with no access to the source? Tricky shit, and would need more powerful hardware too. Where is this video playback coming from?

Quoted from markmon:

Not really much more work than the current task of colorization.

Well the issue is it's utterly different work. More or less I couldn't say. Very few games have video caps (thankfully) so it's not really something with a lot of upside as far as putting the work in.

Quoted from markmon:

This is somewhat irrelevant to the discussion.

Well I guess that's a matter of opinion. If I was going to spend a ton of my time developing something that I couldn't legally sell I'd be pretty concerned about it, personally.

I'm not saying it's not an interesting idea. Just saying it's not a trivial problem to solve, the existing coloring solutions are not capable of it, and the work it would take plus the small market and the legal challenges make it unlikely anyone is going to tackle it.

I think we'll see ColorDMD take on coloring movie dots. And there are ways to go about it that are interesting. But that doesn't mean replacing them with high rez video.

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I have a feeling you will be really impressed with the artwork coming down the road as well!

I have a feeling you have seen the same thing I've seen.

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I would guess they are talking about the pencil art by the Ghostbusters artist that was posted in the Ghostbusters thread for a short time before being removed.

I saw it on someone's phone, obviously it made the rounds. I don't have a picture of it, so don't bother asking me for it!

#88 8 years ago

Actually no, I'm right about what I was saying, that's the only way to replace the dots with high rez video. It seems you're not talking about that though, but instead are proposing an alternate way of playing back 128x32 colored dots.

Quoted from markmon:

This isn't at all what I'm proposing. Instead I'm proposing that colorized DMD frames are created from the original source, down scaled, and stored on media as individual frames. When the dots based movie frames appear, the smart DMD simply plays the stored frames in their place.
It could be done with existing tools. I know you like to be right all the time, (and I mean this with no disrespect, seriously) but perhaps you should avoid strong stances on coding / technical discussions (like insisting something cannot be done) and stick to your area of expertise.

When did SmartDMD gain the ability to store frames and play them back? Seriously, if that's possible then link up the announcement, I missed it. That's not how it works now as far as I know, and it's not how ColorDMD work. So if I'm wrong then I'll admit it, just please show me where that is.

I happen to believe that there is no new announcement about that, that you're wrong and accusing me of being out of my technical depth when it's the opposite, but I will totally eat crow and say I'm wrong if you can show me.

Until then I'm going to drop this line of conversation, it's totally off topic.

#101 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

God, please no! No more DMD! The Ghostbusters movies have incredible iconic clips that would be perfect for an LCD game.

I don't really agree. It's a great movie, I'm a fan. But it's not really an action flick, it's a relationship comedy with props. It's not really ideal for DMD-style quick clips, IMHO. I'd rather see original animation to go with the art package.

GOT is sort of the same thing (not so much comedy) but because there's so much more material you can cut out all the relationship stuff for action okay. I wish it was LCD and not DMD, not a fan of ripped video dots.

For Ghostbusters I'd actually love to just have colored dots from the factory. Or maybe double rez ones like MMR. With simple animations in color. I suspect if it does have an LCD we'll get movie clips, just saying I'd prefer not to.

#112 8 years ago

Very little action in the original Alien. Are you making a similar suggestion to Heighway?

It's one of the challenges for sure. And I think we're up for it. But I'm not sure that moving to high rez LCD screens is going to automatically be awesome, it's easy to play too many movie clips.

Anyways, we'll see what Ghostbusters looks like on shipping, no point in pre-emptively complaining about something before even seeing it.

#121 8 years ago

I just hope game makers don't stick to thinking it has to be an action scene. Something moody and atmospheric from Alien or funny from Ghostbusters can fit too.

Alien will be all about the atmosphere for sure.

I dunno, we'll just see on GB. This is new territory for Stern, no point in second guessing them before we see what they're up to. They hired 3D artists, maybe they're going to try and do more original stuff.

All I know is that I'm utterly over red video clips. Here's hoping GOT is the last time we see that.

#136 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

He's a smart man.
Bright GI is definitely the way to go... Now I sure would appreciate having the capability to choose to not be blinded by backglasses, inserts and flashers when I'm trying to stare at a reflective silver ball in a dark game room.
-mof

So just remove some of the flashers, or put a filter over them, or point them in a different direction, or replace them with weaker bulbs, or whatever else might work. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me. It's not like everyone here doesn't mod game lighting to suit their tastes.

2 weeks later
#236 8 years ago
Quoted from cornycrunch:

The King himself declared it to be "more fun" on the dead_flip stream.

okay. I preferred the scores Stern had previously been using, this feels inflated to me. But it's all relative so who really cares. I don't have more fun with any particular point scoring. If a billion is easy it's no more fun than a million.

#252 8 years ago

The LE backglass blows the Pro translite away in person, in my opinion. I've seen them both next to each other, zero contest to me. And the cabinet art looks way better than the Pro, because that dragon flame art is great. Hand drawn > stiff PR collages every time!

I think though that the LE art doesn't photograph well. It looks like overtouched PR photos on the computer screen. Lit, in person, it's way nicer, has a real painterly feel, almost a colored pencil softness that just doesn't photograph well.

Plus Stern was only showing 3D renders, and there was some uncanny valley aspect to those that didn't present any of the art in the best light. Everything looks better in person on this game compared to the release photos, not how I would have chosen to reveal the game. I'm sure it was a time pressure thing, but just not a great first impression.

I guess my point is see it in person if you can. And make a decision after that. I'm not sure this is the game for me, but if I were to ever own one, it definitely wouldn't be a Pro.

#271 8 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Stepping up to it cold, you'll brick enough shots off of the stand-ups of death to keep games relatively short.

I can confirm this!

I do think that good players are going to find the ball times on the long side though. More Spider-Man than ACDC perhaps?

#316 8 years ago

Keith Elwin has apparently instead managed to kick GOT's ass.

12227770_10153839753715555_9135932449838835672_n.jpg12227770_10153839753715555_9135932449838835672_n.jpg

1 week later
#376 8 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Oh.
Well, uh, that's kinda cool that there are two places in the country with a GoT and a SoF - a beat up SoF, nonetheless! - right next to each other!

TJ, who operates a lot of games up in the Bay Area, also put his GoT next to a SoF, so I'm guessing it was probably his games.

#516 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

Game of Thrones pro #5 out of the gate!

More proof that the ratings system is useless!

#518 8 years ago

Keith Elwin is putting up 20 billion scores now.

I dunno man, these games are getting ridiculous. I think I'm starting to not like the flow ho era as much now. Too smooth, and too easy for the good players to just keep it going. That's not gonna be me, to be clear! But I know that if I had to play Keith Elwin I'd rather it was on Flash Gordon than GOT. At least he's gonna have to take some of that game's lumps as much as I will.

3 weeks later
#638 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

So really there are two conclusions I can come to from that. (1) Other people are MUCH better players than I am. They hit every shot they aim for and have a firm grasp of every rule in the game. They go through games quickly because the shots are so easy for them that they just hit them with no emotion and the game gets boring.

I am not one of those players myself, but the problem is that you don't need a firm grasp from what I can tell. My friend tried the Pro (at Button Mash if you're in LA) for the first time, he told me he walked away with two free games left, he just got bored. He's a lot more of an accurate shot than I am though. Just not enough risk for good players.

This is why Keith Elwin is putting up 22 billion scores.

Not sure how you fix that in code. Might just be a better causal player game than good player game.

#649 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I think you just nailed it with this comment Snailman! I had a BDK that everyone said you'll hate it cause of the long ball times. Opened the outlanes, added LIGHTNING FLIPPERS and wham! BDK is one of the most fun pins ive ever owned to this day because of that. I even had lightning flippers on my SM and was loving that game at the time when i had them. I sometimes hit myself for putting regular bats back on, then selling the game a week later cause i hated the long ball times again (should have put the lightning flippers back on, doh!).

Yeah, but how long did that BDK last after the ooh shiny wore off for you?

1 week later
#834 8 years ago

Sorry guys, Keith Elwin has spoiled me, your 3 billion scores just aren't impressive.

#836 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Hahaha. Top 10 players aren't allowed to play the brag game
What is Keith's HS? And is it factory with the outlanes open?

You know Keith, he rubberbands the outlanes closed.

I don't know what his high score is, but he can crack 20 billion.

12295316_10153865456555555_6296981245099885429_n_(resized).jpg12295316_10153865456555555_6296981245099885429_n_(resized).jpg

#838 8 years ago

Yeah, well, now you know how I feel when I play with you.

1 year later
#4428 6 years ago

Don't let Eskaybee get away with being modest, he's a very good player.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-kicks-ass?tu=Aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.