Topic Stats

• 6,335 posts
  • 406 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by Jeroenos
  • Topic is favorited by 106 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 773 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

gotrammezel (resized).jpg
62F79ACE-C6E3-42DF-AC98-54F74BDC59D6 (resized).jpeg
5C98F03C-EB00-4B16-BE6A-D07C1211FE0A (resized).jpeg
8DE53C1A-67C7-4ED7-ADF0-00649889BC7B (resized).jpeg
3C103992-78CF-420B-A5AD-BF09F7A83A1A (resized).jpeg
237467DA-1641-4A3B-B11B-8E011AE463EE (resized).jpeg
CD15AE4D-A21E-4E0A-8BD9-332AC699E75E (resized).jpeg
daeneris (resized).jpg
B7CB39CB-EF16-45FF-8241-996703DDA98D (resized).jpeg
DCC90410-AC9F-4384-A16F-71B320968048 (resized).jpeg
668CB7EB-E3FC-4911-962A-84751B6E583B (resized).jpeg
IMG_20191002_165255806 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191002_165240183 (resized).jpg
JPG-Card1-GoT_Pro_v1-37 (resized).jpg
JPG-Card2-GoT_Pro_v1-37 (resized).jpg
D5ACDF6E-4B07-41D4-AC88-4936E041474F (resized).jpeg

There are 6335 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 127.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

The flow from ramp to mini pf to return lane was top notch if you didnt touch the ball.

True, but the ramp still has a drop target in front! (that kills flow!)

#52 4 years ago

Lol if you really hate the drop target, it would be very easy to disable via software or if not a available there a simple clipping of the target reset wire.

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from Jojo1111:

True, but the ramp still has a drop target in front! (that kills flow!)

I've reached the point where I can no longer tell what's a subtle joke about flow being overrated, and what people are really serious about.

#54 4 years ago

Being faster doesn't mean the game has more flow. The speed could be more bouncing around on slings and targets. That's not flow. I think most of us that enjoy good flow can probably agree on some points:

- Ramps that return to inlane unimpeded = good flow
- orbits that flow through = good flow
- bash toys are not flow killers unless they block a ramp or orbit. Most don't.
- drops vs stand ups are not flow killers.
- anything in a ramp that impedes the ball returning nicely to the flippers subtracts from flow
- poorly placed pops can subtract from flow (pops in walking dead for example take away clean orbit returns). This doesn't mean all pops should be gone but it's hard to argue they don't take away from flow.
- video modes are flow killers
- anything that holds the ball a long time is a bummer.
- vuk implemented properly are not flow killers and some can be as fast as ramps

I think most would agree that the toys added to say transformers ramps were worse and negatively impacted flow (question is how much).

I think the upper pf on GoT will negatively impact flow but it sounds like it may not be much and the benefits of playing it may outweigh this aspect. That point remains to be seen for many of us.

#55 4 years ago

Played the pro and had a good time. But jesus christ that's the glorious return of the Videa Mode?
I took some video of me playing it for those who haven't seen it yet

If only it looked that good.

Quoted from Aurich:

I've reached the point where I can no longer tell what's a subtle joke about flow being overrated, and what people are really serious about.

Flow is right under "shooter lane wear" and right above "dialed in" for stupid terms

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Last I heard it was coloring great!

You guys and your inside info suck. IF it's not inside info, you just suck even more for posting the tease.

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I like light effects but there is a time and place to use them correctly and IMO they should not punish a player for doing well.
Good examples would be even simple things like red lights on Atlantis or Green on Spacestation. A newer game like ST is even a good example with lots of good lighting effects when you do something well butthe ball is not currently moving. TWD with horde is another good example >> ball is waiting in shooter lane when the lights go dark.
Bad examples are things like crossbow on TWD. Make a shot and then get punished with strobby blackout in the face. I do know that I am ultra senstive to this and my eyes dont adjust well to light flashes so maybe it is not so bad for other people???

Agreed. There's an awesome light show in LOTR, but it only happens when you destroy the ring, not every time you clear a mode. Only gripe with GOT was the skittles light show. And the art but that's a given. But I do feel those two reasons make it hard for me to get emotionally attached to the pin. It's fun, but to own, it has to look and feel special. Not sure we know that yet.

#58 4 years ago

Okay. I've been playing for two hours. This game is effing sweet. I have no idea what the hell in doing and I couldn't be having more fun. The strobe during winter is coming and black water multiball is awesome. Makes those easy shots way harder. Still trying to figure out what the best two houses are to stack. Also, not sure which house is the best to choose on ball one.

Like I said though. This game is tons of fun.

#59 4 years ago

Which version were you playing?

#60 4 years ago

Isn't the Pro the only version out

#61 4 years ago

When are the LE's going to start shipping?

#62 4 years ago

They unveiled the LE at expo. There is a two or three hour video of live gameplay on YouTube too.

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

When are the LE's going to start shipping?

Soon. Perms probably xmas.

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Okay. I've been playing for two hours. This game is effing sweet. I have no idea what the hell in doing and I couldn't be having more fun. The strobe during winter is coming and black water multiball is awesome. Makes those easy shots way harder. Still trying to figure out what the best two houses are to stack. Also, not sure which house is the best to choose on ball one.
Like I said though. This game is tons of fun.

Yeah!
Just wait till it all clicks

What house are you starting with?
I like the add a ball and the advance multiball ones.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Yeah!
Just wait till it all clicks
What house are you starting with?
I like the add a ball and the advance multiball ones.

I like greyjoy cause of stealing other house powers but I cannot complete more than one ore two houses a game. Haha.

The add a ball one is key too as the only other way to get add a ball is by random pop bumper award.

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Played the pro and had a good time. But jesus christ that's the glorious return of the Videa Mode?
I took some video of me playing it for those who haven't seen it yet
ยป YouTube video

Please. I can tell that's not sterns GOT video mode. One, it's in full colour, and two, the graphics and movement are WAY better.

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Last I heard it was coloring great!

I don't have much time on Tron but if it is colored, wouldn't that mean games like IM, TF and SM could be done as well?

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Please. I can tell that's not sterns GOT video mode. One, it's in full colour, and two, the graphics and movement are WAY better.

Aurich colored ours.

I got a little NF feeling with GOT for sure. I was saying before the Pyramid show is the same as the skyjump shot on NF. Tricks you into thinking you can shoot it with the left flipper. It's like iof you took NF and moved all the ramps up closer to the flippers.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

I like greyjoy cause of stealing other house powers but I cannot complete more than one ore two houses a game. Haha.

Need to be look into that stuff more as i don;t now all the rules. I always started selecting the Starks, hitting center ramp 15 times and thren cashing in left loop. Easy way to start with 150+ mill

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Aurich colored ours.
I got a little NF feeling with GOT for sure. I was saying before the Pyramid show is the same as the skyjump shot on NF. Tricks you into thinking you can shoot it with the left flipper. It's like iof you took NF and moved all the ramps up closer to the flippers.

Need to be look into that stuff more as i don;t now all the rules. I always started selecting the Starks, hitting center ramp 15 times and thren cashing in left loop. Easy way to start with 150+ mill

The one I played last night did not cash in the stark mode at the left loop. The dragon completed the mode. I thought it was left loop, but maybe it changed with the new code.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I don't have much time on Tron but if it is colored, wouldn't that mean games like IM, TF and SM could be done as well?

It was never that they couldn't be done, just that it's an enormous PITA. Tron has shorter clips, and they're more isolated against black, not as gnarly.

Doesn't mean the other games won't happen, there are always new ways to tackle problems.

Bottom line is they've already announced Tron, I'm not leaking a secret. And when it is, I'll buy another ColorDMD!

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The one I played last night did not cash in the stark mode at the left loop. The dragon completed the mode. I thought it was left loop, but maybe it changed with the new code.

I think I figured it out. You have to make a Full loop, it cannot stop in the top lanes.

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It was never that they couldn't be done, just that it's an enormous PITA. Tron has shorter clips, and they're more isolated against black, not as gnarly.

There is no reason why (in the technology) that those frames can't be replaced with actual movie frames even if they were captured as stills at 10fps or whatever awful frame rate those movies have. The source content does not need to be the DMD dots. Smart DMD may be the way to go here.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

There is no reason why (in the technology) that those frames can't be replaced with actual movie frames even if they were captured as stills at 10fps or whatever awful frame rate those movies have. The source content does not need to be the DMD dots. Smart DMD may be the way to go here.

That would require more technology and engineering than ColorDMD currently possesses, right now the only way to do that would be to FAST or P-Roc the game, and recreate the rules from scratch, and play movie clips off the embedded PC. Someone was trying that with Iron Man, but it's a huge pain too.

Thing is even if you did an add-on that was more like ColorDMD in functionality, as far as not needing to redo the rules and intercepting and replacing the dots on the fly, it would be a ton of work, and then you wouldn't legally be able to sell it without the rights to the movie clips. And good luck getting those.

So you're right, technology wise it's not impossible. But practically speaking I can't see it ever happening.

#74 4 years ago

We will be talking about nothing but video and LCDs soon enough.

I did love my old intellivision game from back in the day

#75 4 years ago

We played 2 got pro's at our launch party Friday and also a got pro was part of a ten game line-up of another tourney on Saturday morning. The pro is a blast. My best score was around 750m.

We were running v.1.02 because we couldn't get the new code to load. Several of us tried and we are not new to this stuff. Pretty disappointing trying 5 different thumb drives and 2 different downloads of the code. Oh well, the game was still a blast to play!

Most everyone was starting with house Stark and trying to hit many center ramps in a row and then cash in at the left loop, but that is MUCH easier said than done! I found my best games were starting with Baratheon. Shoot the left orbit many times to build value, then shoot the dragon shot to begin Battle at the Wall. Don't bother with Lannister unless it is stacked with a MB because the shots are the stand-up targets. These are the MOST deadly stand-up targets I can remember. Hit one and pray you don't drain immediately.

The drops and green Wild Fire targets are fairly safe and important. The drops light your "Lord of Light" which is a ball saver on both outlanes. The two green Wild Fire targets light your locks at the center ramp and also build your jackpot values. I really like that most shots are back hand-able. I think the only shot you couldn't backhand was the Dragon shot, which is also the mystery shot.

One last point is the game does play long. We pulled the rubber off the out lane posts(total of 4 rubbers) and the game played a little long still, but nothing outrageous.

#76 4 years ago

I really like longer ball times to explore games. I think that this might come from virtual pin and the pinball arcade app where games are easier then real life.

#77 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

We will be talking about nothing but video and LCDs soon enough.

Gomez said its coming on our factory tour.

#78 4 years ago

Stern has been admitting video is coming for a while now. It's not a question of if, just when.

I actually kind of hope Ghostbusters has dots, I don't want ripped movie clips for that one. Please, please no ripped movie clips dots! Metallica level dots would be cool. Custom color animations on an LCD would rule of course, just hard to see that happening.

As for the stand ups being dangerous on GOT, definitely agree. They'll end your ball quick from my short experience playing.

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Stern has been admitting video is coming for a while now. It's not a question of if, just when.

I have a feeling you will be really impressed with the artwork coming down the road as well!

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That would require more technology and engineering than ColorDMD currently possesses, right now the only way to do that would be to FAST or P-Roc the game, and recreate the rules from scratch, and play movie clips off the embedded PC.

Actually, the technology exists today outside of re-coding the game from scratch (which is a ridiculous suggestion). Both colorDMD and smart DMD decode frames and swap frames on the fly. While the tools may not exist in the colorDMD software toolkit they send to their customers, this is not something that would be a significant task to create for the developers of the technology. I think everything exists to do this with smart DMD today.

Quoted from Aurich:

Thing is even if you did an add-on that was more like ColorDMD in functionality, as far as not needing to redo the rules and intercepting and replacing the dots on the fly, it would be a ton of work,

Not really much more work than the current task of colorization.

Quoted from Aurich:

and then you wouldn't legally be able to sell it without the rights to the movie clips.

This is somewhat irrelevant to the discussion. But if this was something to be distributed, a tool could also be written requiring the user to provide the original vob files or such and let it extract the frames from the source.

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Actually, the technology exists today outside of re-coding the game from scratch (which is a ridiculous suggestion). Both colorDMD and smart DMD decode frames and swap frames on the fly. While the tools may not exist in the colorDMD software toolkit they send to their customers, this is not something that would be a significant task to create for the developers of the technology. I think everything exists to do this with smart DMD today.

Recoding the game isn't a ridiculous suggestion, it's the only way to do it right now. It's easy for someone to say "not a significant task", but actually what you're talking about is nothing at all like what ColorDMD and SmartDMD do right now. Utterly different software task, utterly different hardware requirements. Impossible with the kits/products currently being sold and built.

No need to believe me, ask the developers of either product. Simply impossible with the current state of things. Both ColorDMD and SmartDMD do some smart things with code, but replacing frames with high resolution video and overlaying dynamic information over them (score etc) with no access to the source? Tricky shit, and would need more powerful hardware too. Where is this video playback coming from?

Quoted from markmon:

Not really much more work than the current task of colorization.

Well the issue is it's utterly different work. More or less I couldn't say. Very few games have video caps (thankfully) so it's not really something with a lot of upside as far as putting the work in.

Quoted from markmon:

This is somewhat irrelevant to the discussion.

Well I guess that's a matter of opinion. If I was going to spend a ton of my time developing something that I couldn't legally sell I'd be pretty concerned about it, personally.

I'm not saying it's not an interesting idea. Just saying it's not a trivial problem to solve, the existing coloring solutions are not capable of it, and the work it would take plus the small market and the legal challenges make it unlikely anyone is going to tackle it.

I think we'll see ColorDMD take on coloring movie dots. And there are ways to go about it that are interesting. But that doesn't mean replacing them with high rez video.

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I have a feeling you will be really impressed with the artwork coming down the road as well!

I have a feeling you have seen the same thing I've seen.

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I have this same thought when people replace Wolverine on X-men with a skinnier one or a Newton ball to make the game easier to shoot.

You should try it before you judge it. It doesn't make everything easier. Nice to see people judging something without any idea what they are talking about.

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Quoted from Aurich:

I have a feeling you have seen the same thing I've seen.

Now you guys are just being cruel! My PM inbox is always open BTW

Played the pro a few days back, and was definitely fun - great to see some good game-play strategy being introduced.

One thing that stood out on the pro was that the implementation of the battering ram to the door looked a bit awkward. I know this has been covered before, but seeing it in person it really stood out that there is this door to nowhere floating in the middle of the PF. There is no context to the door. More "proof" the game was designed from the LE down. When you strip away the upper PF, you're left with a door.

On the the LE, the battering ram hits a door that is actually the castle door. The battering ram is tucked in beside the castle, and the scale of the door is close to the castle scale.

I think the PreLE's going to be fun.

Untitled-1.jpg

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Recoding the game isn't a ridiculous suggestion, it's the only way to do it right now.

Wrong

Quoted from Aurich:

SmartDMD do some smart things with code, but replacing frames with high resolution video and overlaying dynamic information over them (score etc) with no access to the source? Tricky shit, and would need more powerful hardware too. Where is this video playback coming from?

This isn't at all what I'm proposing. Instead I'm proposing that colorized DMD frames are created from the original source, down scaled, and stored on media as individual frames. When the dots based movie frames appear, the smart DMD simply plays the stored frames in their place.

It could be done with existing tools. I know you like to be right all the time, (and I mean this with no disrespect, seriously) but perhaps you should avoid strong stances on coding / technical discussions (like insisting something cannot be done) and stick to your area of expertise.

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I would guess they are talking about the pencil art by the Ghostbusters artist that was posted in the Ghostbusters thread for a short time before being removed.

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I would guess they are talking about the pencil art by the Ghostbusters artist that was posted in the Ghostbusters thread for a short time before being removed.

I saw it on someone's phone, obviously it made the rounds. I don't have a picture of it, so don't bother asking me for it!

#88 4 years ago

Actually no, I'm right about what I was saying, that's the only way to replace the dots with high rez video. It seems you're not talking about that though, but instead are proposing an alternate way of playing back 128x32 colored dots.

Quoted from markmon:

This isn't at all what I'm proposing. Instead I'm proposing that colorized DMD frames are created from the original source, down scaled, and stored on media as individual frames. When the dots based movie frames appear, the smart DMD simply plays the stored frames in their place.
It could be done with existing tools. I know you like to be right all the time, (and I mean this with no disrespect, seriously) but perhaps you should avoid strong stances on coding / technical discussions (like insisting something cannot be done) and stick to your area of expertise.

When did SmartDMD gain the ability to store frames and play them back? Seriously, if that's possible then link up the announcement, I missed it. That's not how it works now as far as I know, and it's not how ColorDMD work. So if I'm wrong then I'll admit it, just please show me where that is.

I happen to believe that there is no new announcement about that, that you're wrong and accusing me of being out of my technical depth when it's the opposite, but I will totally eat crow and say I'm wrong if you can show me.

Until then I'm going to drop this line of conversation, it's totally off topic.

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

... I'm going to drop this line of conversation, it's totally off topic.

Thanks. Now please ... back to more of how GoT kicks ass!

#90 4 years ago

Back on topic..... I have a pro arriving in early December

#91 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Played the pro a few days back, and was definitely fun - great to see some good game-play strategy being introduced.
One thing that stood out on the pro was that the implementation of the battering ram to the door looked a bit awkward. I know this has been covered before, but seeing it in person it really stood out that there is this door to nowhere floating in the middle of the PF. There is no context to the door. More "proof" the game was designed from the LE down. When you strip away the upper PF, you're left with a door.
On the the LE, the battering ram hits a door that is actually the castle door. The battering ram is tucked in beside the castle, and the scale of the door is close to the castle scale.
I think the PreLE's going to be fun.
Untitled-1.jpg

This was a concern for me at first and it looks somewhat better on the le but it still looks out of place. It is still a door with nothing behind it tucked on the side of the castle on the le. Think if the battering ram had been under the castle and a shaker would go off every time you hit it. That would have made more sense. The pro will always be stuck with the door to nowhere. Almost a bit psycedelic when you think about it. Especially with all those bright colors on the ramps near by.

This was my concerns with the pro:
-The door in the middle of nowhere
-no castle (obvious one)
-No ball path to the Throne and on the pro it looks smashed on at the last minute(because it was ) but I'll take that vs no throne at all
-The translite is horrible
-The side-artwork on the right side looks awkward. The less said about the Backbox side-art, the better.
-Playfield is very sparse looking, even for a pro

This is what made me ultimately go for the pro anyway
-You have a clear view of everything. Especially where the ball travels
-Nothing of the things that usually irritates me regarding pros is taken away. Like spinners, droptargets and lockdownbar button.
-The lighting on the pro looks to be solid for a pro
-I am not that big of a fan of mini-playfields, anyway
-The le/pre almost looks to cramped with both the mini-playfield and the throne taking up so much space
-Even though the return from the right ramp can be fast if you do not flip, it will still not feel like a real ramp to me I think.
and droptargets in front of ramps is not that appealing to me.
-The ballplay on the pro just looks very smooth and satisfying

I am not saying that I chose the pro because it is a better machine. I just felt that I can still have a lot of fun on it.

I will probably kick myself senseless when the code for the castle turns out to be awesome with extra multiballs and deep code,
but for now, I am really looking forward to getting my pro (ignorance is bliss)

PS! I got through all that not talking about flow one single time (ops )

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from karl:

-The ballplay on the pro just looks very smooth and satisfying

Quoted from karl:

PS! I got through all that not talking about flow one single time

Not really

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I actually kind of hope Ghostbusters has dots, I don't want ripped movie clips for that one.

God, please no! No more DMD! The Ghostbusters movies have incredible iconic clips that would be perfect for an LCD game.

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

God, please no! No more DMD! The Ghostbusters movies have incredible iconic clips that would be perfect for an LCD game.

Hahahaha. If there's a ghostbusters pin, I bet that it will be for the new movie. There'll be no "incredible iconic clips" for you.

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Hahahaha. If there's a ghostbusters pin, I bet that it will be for the new movie. There'll be no "incredible iconic clips" for you.

And you sir, are completely wrong. The game will be released early next year, and have nothing to do with the female reboot. It is classic Ghostbusters only.

#96 4 years ago

And you sir, are completely wrong. The game will be released early next year, and have nothing to do with the female reboot. It is classic Ghostbusters only.

I hope your right...

#97 4 years ago

I love how you speak on things with such authority as if you know what you're talking about. I believe you also called for an LCD in GOT. Good call. Duh!!!

#98 4 years ago

pro should be here first week of November. . I think the flow in the room will be strong next to DM and Drac.

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Constant flash nightmare where they turn off GI and flash all inserts

+1

I'm building out a spreadsheet of objective and subjective aspects of what makes a pin fun/challenging, and I'm now up to 30 parameters. One parameter is called:

"blindability"
Any game that tries to blind you with flashers -- especially when you do something well -- at the wrong time.

In my collection, that game would be Whirlwind. I have other games that do it for a split second, and the damage is almost zero and it's a neat aesthetic plus (for example, if you do it when a ball is locked, there is no harm to the player -- it's a timing issue.) Whirlwind on the other hand, has a very long routine that is unacceptable in my book. It happens the moment you earn Extra ball = flasher blinding, and I play in the DARK only, and my first goal when I earn EB in Whirlwind is to TRAP and hold and wait for the stupid flasher barrage. Otherwise, I drain about 33% of the time I earn an extra ball, and that's just stupid programming (for the player).

I realize there are aspects of games that are for the operator, and aspects for the player. This is an OPERATOR gimmick (earn more quarters by blinding the player) that I wish we'd move away from.

-mof

#100 4 years ago

My wish is that designers would focus on great game physics, by maintaining good risk/reward on all shots to punish players based on missing shots, rather than using a gimmick such as a flasher barrage to shorten ball times.

-mof

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.95
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
There are 6335 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 127.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside