371349412_280294791383651_655609389386986630_n (resized).jpg
371318912_273439315464555_5052372985924968948_n (resized).jpg
IMG_1962 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1967 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1965 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1879 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1882 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0248 (resized).jpeg

There are 7,179 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 144.
#1 8 years ago

Got to play GOT at expo this weekend and I was really impressed by the end.

I've never seen the show or read the books. The pictures looked stripped down to me but after about the 10 game I really clicked with the game.

The multiplier rules for hurry up shots are well programmed and the flow on this machine is fantastic.

I'm jonesing to play it again already!

Great job Stern

#2 8 years ago

Awesome. Hopefully we will all get ours together. Do you know how far along the code seemed?

#3 8 years ago

Way further along than any other Stern game has been on initial launch.

At least three different multiballs programed.

I like the abilities choices by choosing your house at the start of ball one. Similar to DW but you can't switch once you choose and the abilities are more rewarding than the doctors.

This game is all about the multipliers.

#4 8 years ago

I'm guessing you're referring to the Pro?

#5 8 years ago

Yes, I did not play the LE

My buddy fattrain did at the party he had good things to say.

#6 8 years ago

I played a few games of it at Terry's in the dark-ish room before & after the PBL party. Some of the lighting effects are a bit off the deep end flashing on/off wise.

I called it "Game of Seizures" in a room with Tanio and a few other people and he mentioned that they had been testing the game in Dwight's office which is pretty bright. They had apparently just recently played it in another darker office and noticed that some of the lighting/flashing effects were a bit much and may adjust those a bit.

#7 8 years ago

I have to agree that this game (Pro) was the surprise of the show! I was excited about GOT pre-announcement, and lost interest after seeing the photos. Figured I'd try to find an LE/Prem to play some day, but the Pro looked weak. Both my wife and I thought this was by far the most fun game at expo, although frankly I didn't feel there was much competition. Most of the things I went there wanting to play turned out disappointing, but this game was super fun. I'd love to play the Prem for comparison, but I really liked the Pro.

#8 8 years ago

Had the pleasure of jamming a pretty epic 4 player game on the LE. Started strong and then got spanked by ALL 3 other players! LOL.

I was pleasantly surprised with the flow of the PRO version and believe it or not was actually worried that the flow on the LE might not be as good with the mini playfield. Nothing to worry about in that department. There are several hidden diverters that keep the ball moving quickly and you're not "always" in the mini-pf like I thought you might be (a-la Wrestlemania). When you do hit the mini-pf it has several shots that take you back down to the main playfield so you don't spend too much time up there. All in all I thought it was a fun balanced game with a DEEP strategy / rule-set that will take players awhile to learn (hence the 5 page strategy guide PDF Stern released). Dwight did a great job with the ruleset!

#9 8 years ago

100% agree with Fattrain. I was one of the lucky ones to play both the pro and the LE. I really liked the pro and was wondering if the flow would be off with the upper playfield. It wasn't. You can see in the video how quick the ball can go up the right ramp and exit the lower playfield back to the left flipper.

I did not think the lighting was overly blinding.

The code is great so far. No big holes, modes have clear shots to hit and have personality to them (moreso than say ST or TF). Scoring needs some balancing.

Overall, I was very impressed by BOTH the pro and the LE.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Had the pleasure of jamming a pretty epic 4 player game on the LE. Started strong and then got spanked by ALL 3 other players! LOL.
I was pleasantly surprised with the flow of the PRO version and believe it or not was actually worried that the flow on the LE might not be as good with the mini playfield. Nothing to worry about in that department. There are several hidden diverters that keep the ball moving quickly and you're not "always" in the mini-pf like I thought you might be (a-la Wrestlemania). When you do hit the mini-pf it has several shots that take you back down to the main playfield so you don't spend too much time up there. All in all I thought it was a fun balanced game with a DEEP strategy / rule-set that will take players awhile to learn (hence the 5 page strategy guide PDF Stern released). Dwight did a great job with the ruleset!
» YouTube video

Was Player 3 on the epic twitch.tv with Fattrain - sorry buddy, it wasn't easy for ALL OF US, to come back from a few mil to keep you off the high score board . Good news was we all beat Steve R's score too. Rob G at 1.4 bil was sick.
I loved the game, and loved the LE enough to buy one. Last Stern NIB for me was STLE and a Tron. THis game was by far the most finished code, there were a few scoring bugs - which will be easily fixed before long.

Must say that game we played on the LE was probably the most fun I've had at Expo. We can do a rematch any time!

#11 8 years ago

I watched the video pretty thoroughly. And if you define flow by keeping the ball moving I would agree that the flow is not impeded by the upper playfield. But that's not what I consider flow. The ramp flowing to a lines up shot by the left flipper feels much better to me and faster. In my opinion it was a big mistake to trade the ramp flow for the upper pf. We could have had both.

#12 8 years ago

Flow, flow, flow.

We already have tons of pinballs where the ball returns the flipper on nearly every shot. It's just not that interesting anymore. I'm glad Steve Ritchie is trying other things.

And if you don't agree with me it looks like you're in luck with the Pro, and you save money!

I'm just saying, Star Trek was a super smooth flowing game with tons of flipper return shots. Let the man break out into other things. He was once known for upper playfields you know.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

» YouTube video

My favorite part of the video was the blonde taking off her jacket and adjusting her top.

I guess you have to play it but GOT doesn't look that exciting. Then again, I haven't seen anything from Stern of recent memory that excites me.

This is a Steve Ritchie game? My favorite designer of all time but this doesn't do him justice.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

This is a Steve Ritchie game? My favorite designer of all time but this doesn't do him justice.

Says the person that didn't play it yet. I played the Pro at expo and was very pleasantly surprised. Super fun and some cool rules already.

#15 8 years ago

Does anyone know yet if the Premium will come with a metal apron line the LE or a plastic apron like the pro version?

#16 8 years ago

go for the pro bros

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I called it "Game of Seizures"

pretty spot on. The current lighting is horrendous! If you think TWD is bad for strobbing on/off and intentionally shitty lighting that punishes you for making shots then GOT is a whole new level of dumb. I wish we could get away from code which tries to 'make effects' when you do something cool/good and instead rewards the player for playing well. Prime Example would be crossbow on TWD. Yeah you made a good shot, now try to fight off the siezure and make another shot.

GoT is even worse. Constant flash nightmare where they turn off GI and flash all inserts.

#18 8 years ago

I am one of those who like the light effects. I would like to know if there are more people like me that like a good show or more people that would prefere less LED effects. My heavy modded AC/DC is a good example. It's a beast. The arrow flashs are so bright it can blind you. It's hard to play it. And I suck on it. But it's also a lot of fun. In summer I found an AC/DC in a pub in the wild and played it, it was a piece of cake to get the new number one hisghscore....it was easy to play it and the games were very long for me. But I still think the one I have at home is more fun, a lot more fun.
Without mods I still think Metallica LE/prem has the best light show that they ever put into a pinball game so far.

#19 8 years ago

I played it and the KISS next to it at NLP. The light show made my mind up. I bought the KISS. Totally over the top and unwarranted and I like F14 Tomcat!

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

I am one of those who like the light effects.

I like light effects but there is a time and place to use them correctly and IMO they should not punish a player for doing well.

Good examples would be even simple things like red lights on Atlantis or Green on Spacestation. A newer game like ST is even a good example with lots of good lighting effects when you do something well butthe ball is not currently moving. TWD with horde is another good example >> ball is waiting in shooter lane when the lights go dark.

Bad examples are things like crossbow on TWD. Make a shot and then get punished with strobby blackout in the face. I do know that I am ultra senstive to this and my eyes dont adjust well to light flashes so maybe it is not so bad for other people???

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I do know that I am ultra senstive to this and my eyes dont adjust well to light flashes so maybe it is not so bad for other people???

Not bad at all. Does it make the game harder? Yep, but I like that. Glad to hear GOT is using the same type lighting effects as TWD. I hope to have these two games sitting in the same lineup one day.

#22 8 years ago

It was just a tad hard to look at the gameplay footage with the blonde in the video. I am pretty sure I am the only one that had a problem with this though.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I watched the video pretty thoroughly. And if you define flow by keeping the ball moving I would agree that the flow is not impeded by the upper playfield. But that's not what I consider flow. The ramp flowing to a lines up shot by the left flipper feels much better to me and faster.

This times a million. Exactly!

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Flow, flow, flow.
We already have tons of pinballs where the ball returns the flipper on nearly every shot. It's just not that interesting anymore. I'm glad Steve Ritchie is trying other things.
And if you don't agree with me it looks like you're in luck with the Pro, and you save money!
I'm just saying, Star Trek was a super smooth flowing game with tons of flipper return shots. Let the man break out into other things. He was once known for upper playfields you know.

JT went outside the square with WWE and that game gets a flogging at every turn. Don't blame SR and JB for sticking to known formulas. Moreover they probably have been given a clear directive not to stray too far. The upper pf for Ritchie is nothing too daring imo.

#25 8 years ago

I like being blinded by the lighting effects.

TWD makes you feel like its blood splatter, noggin chopping fun.

I like what I see with GOT, especially the LE.

It's different, not the same "flow, flow, flow". I have plenty of that, give me different and creative, looks like GOT does that so far.

#26 8 years ago

Great to finally meet you briefly Monkey and yes, GOT is a fun game, I only played it one time but you just get that feel. Its a winner.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I like light effects but there is a time and place to use them correctly and IMO they should not punish a player for doing well.
Good examples would be even simple things like red lights on Atlantis or Green on Spacestation. A newer game like ST is even a good example with lots of good lighting effects when you do something well butthe ball is not currently moving. TWD with horde is another good example >> ball is waiting in shooter lane when the lights go dark.
Bad examples are things like crossbow on TWD. Make a shot and then get punished with strobby blackout in the face. I do know that I am ultra senstive to this and my eyes dont adjust well to light flashes so maybe it is not so bad for other people???

You do remember these games are supposed to eat quarters, right? The lights are meant to F with you, toughen up for fucks sake.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

You do remember these games are supposed to eat quarters, right? The lights are meant to F with you, toughen up for fucks sake.

I am not sure why you insist on being like this all the time lately. Try just being part of the conversation rather than constantly looking for a reaction. You could have easily said that you like the lighting effects and they also do a good job of eating quarters and left it at that.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

When st code came out with medals. The sound and light show of acheiving a medal world distract me and cause me to miss my shot. Not anymorw. I don't react to sudden sounds or lights anymore on games.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

JT went outside the square with WWE and that game gets a flogging at every turn. Don't blame SR and JB for sticking to known formulas. Moreover they probably have been given a clear directive not to stray too far. The upper pf for Ritchie is nothing too daring imo.

Sometimes you take a risk and it doesn't work. WWE's theme pretty much guaranteed I wasn't going to like it anyways.

I'm not saying Steve went crazy daring here, it's still a smooth shooting game. But I just get tired of people complaining about anything that will affect how fast the ball gets back to the flipper. I like pinball for lots of reasons, not just hitting ramps over and over.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I have this same thought when people replace Wolverine on X-men with a skinnier one or a Newton ball to make the game easier to shoot.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sometimes you take a risk and it doesn't work. WWE's theme pretty much guaranteed I wasn't going to like it anyways.
I'm not saying Steve went crazy daring here, it's still a smooth shooting game. But I just get tired of people complaining about anything that will affect how fast the ball gets back to the flipper. I like pinball for lots of reasons, not just hitting ramps over and over.

This is exactly why I'm surprised Twd isn't more popular especially with Lyman's last update + Milgouse/Cleland sound package. The layout really has the best of both worlds, great flow mixed in with ball randomness mixed in with fun shots.

#33 8 years ago

TWD = top 5 game of all time with new code; ohh yeah its that good

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

When people get excited for a Steve Ritchie game, its for the fast smoothness of the ball returning to the flipper. On the le you lose that due to the ramp clunking around the upper playfield. As I indicated, a dedicated shot to enter the upper playfield that wasn't the ramp would have solved this problem for those of us that are considering pro due to the upper playfield. Add to that, the video on the pro showed the software and the modes catered to making ramp combo shots.

In the past, the le models were the full game and the pro were less than generally to save money. In this case it's not true. The pro is not just less than since the ramp adds a different dynamic to the game play. If both were the same price I would still be more interested in the pro here.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

If both were the same price I would still be more interested in the pro here.

Well then luckily for you that the Pro model not only exists, but is also cheaper!

#36 8 years ago

Ha I'm Taking notes on Fattrains Skills with the Ladies! Look at how smooth he is! Go Train!

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

When people get excited for a Steve Ritchie game, its for the fast smoothness of the ball returning to the flipper. On the le you lose that due to the ramp clunking around the upper playfield. As I indicated, a dedicated shot to enter the upper playfield that wasn't the ramp would have solved this problem for those of us that are considering pro due to the upper playfield. Add to that, the video on the pro showed the software and the modes catered to making ramp combo shots.
In the past, the le models were the full game and the pro were less than generally to save money. In this case it's not true. The pro is not just less than since the ramp adds a different dynamic to the game play. If both were the same price I would still be more interested in the pro here.

there wasnt much of any klunking going on at all with that mini pf that i saw. The returns were fast and smooth. Flow to me is how does the table react to missed shots? how about made shots? what about those half ass shots? The flow from ramp to mini pf to return lane was top notch if you didnt touch the ball. And if you did, flow was still present within the mini pf and made/missed shots with it. Ritchie is the king of flow and it shows. From pics, i also was with you in that a diverter should have been put in place on the ramp, but after seeing it in person i think he nailed it.

as for code; once the mini pf gets its well deserved attention im sure we'll see a different side of it.

The pros almost always get the better code out of the gate and the LE's typically always follow suit.

That all said i can only squeeze enough to go for a pro without selling TWD or STLE and simply put, thats not happening. I think both will play differently from each other but exceptional at the same. If i were deciding between premium, le, or pro - i'd wait and play it for myself no need to rush in that retrospect.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Ha I'm Taking notes on Fattrains Skills with the Ladies! Look at how smooth he is! Go Train!

He just shows them his selfie from inside his yellow Vette and they melt, it's amazing.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

The flow from ramp to mini pf to return lane was top notch if you didnt touch the ball.

This is interesting. Was it smooth as if it were just a ramp in this case like say the left ramp on Elvis? The mini pf on Elvis is pretty genius where if you don't flipper you can't even tell it's not a regular ramp.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

This is interesting. Was it smooth as if it were just a ramp in this case like say the left ramp on Elvis? The mini pf on Elvis is pretty genius where if you don't flipper you can't even tell it's not a regular ramp.

I was actually just coming here to say this. Jumps in and out of that mini-pf pretty quickly. Sometimes it happened so fast I didn't even realize the ball was in the mini-pf. I bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on LE so you'll just have to come down and play it to make up your own mind

Quoted from Gexchange:

LOL, about as smooth as sandpaper but we definitely had a blast at that party (and all of expo!)

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I'm not familiar with elvis but how you describe it is exactly what I saw in the videos. Sometimes ppl didn't flip the upper pf and the ball returned fast like a regular ramp. Obviously not as fast as the pro but it looked buttery smooth to me.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Great to finally meet you briefly Monkey and yes, GOT is a fun game, I only played it one time but you just get that feel. Its a winner.

If only there was more time!

Thanks for the beverage CF!

#43 8 years ago

I spent more time watching watching Fattrain put the moves on "the lady in red" than I did watching GOT! Go Train!!

#44 8 years ago

1.10 code is out now too - Dwight is doing a lot of cool stuff on this - was fun seeing you blow up GoT at Expo MKY!

#45 8 years ago

Pro was fun and the rules seemed cool even though I didn't really understand them yet. Couldn't hear the audio at expo, of course. Upper PF looks good in the video; premium might be the one to get.

Game is looking like a winner, but I can't help but still be disappointed in the DMD. At least with my other Stern games (ST, ACDC, Met), colorDMDs can be added and you end up with nice cartoon-style animations. There are so many FMV clips on GOT, though. Can't picture that ever colorizing well. Would have been stunning in HD.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from Roo:

Can't picture that ever colorizing well. Would have been stunning in HD

I've heard tron is next on the color dmd. I guess we will find out soon enough. But I don't think it will color well either

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from genex:

1.10 code is out now too - Dwight is doing a lot of cool stuff on this - was fun seeing you blow up GoT at Expo MKY!

Dude you too!!! It was fun watching both you and Monkey dominate the tourney!!! Can't wait to check out the footage with commentary online

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I've heard tron is next on the color dmd. I guess we will find out soon enough. But I don't think it will color well either

Last I heard it was coloring great!

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Last I heard it was coloring great!

Cool. Can't wait to see it.

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Cool. Can't wait to see it.

Me too, it's the last uncolored DMD game I own.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
There are 7,179 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-kicks-ass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.