Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

A year later #GOT is still such a wonderful game: so many ways to score, so many combinations. There are however some glaring imbalances between the houses.
The following are just some simple thoughts I had to address them. I thought if I wrote it down, people would follow with more great ideas and maybe, just maybe somebody at Stern actually took interest.

GENERAL
(1) add-a-ball: I can never tell how many more and which targets I have to hit for add-a-ball. It's such a pain. And then still have to get the ball into the bumpers which can be quite difficult. The rules should be a lot simpler, like, hit the right targets till they turn green (1 each) or something like that.
(2) super skill shot. Would be nice.
(3) LE: castle multiball totally sucks. Let's at least make it stackable.

HOUSES
I'll list them from worst to best scoring, in relation to Martel, which I will assume to be a perfectly balanced house.

LANNISTER
(1) If this house is to focus on gold, then we must be able to purchase something valuable for that gold. EXAMPLES: add-a-ball in next multiball. A shot for house completion. House completion. Locks for multiball.
(2) I'd love to see a 'treasure hunt multiball', that would be fun.

BARATHEON
(1) Wall multiball is just so crippled. It should always be easier to start it with this house -- not just once.
(2) Automatic Wall multiball restart (1 time)

STARK
(1) WHC is worth so little. Perhaps this house should allow unlimited WHCs AND/OR make them more valuable
(2) Automatic WHC restart (1 time)

MARTEL
Perfect

GREYJOY
Perfect risk-reward

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballOsp:

add-a-ball: I can never tell how many more and which targets I have to hit for add-a-ball. It's such a pain. And then still have to get the ball into the bumpers which can be quite difficult. The rules should be a lot simpler, like, hit the right targets till they turn green (1 each) or something like that.

This is only a rumor. As far as I know the add a ball is a random pop bumper award during multiball.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballOsp:

WHC is worth so little. Perhaps this house should allow unlimited WHCs AND/OR make them more valuable

This is actually worth a ton if you have earned big WIC hurry ups before starting the multiball. I've gotten over a billion points in this multiball lots of times.

#4 3 years ago

Already sent these to Dwight but additional house powers would be cool.
Whichever house you pick at the start (except Greyjoy), when playing that house's mode the scoring is 1.5 times more.
Baratheon. Make wall MB more valuable, and you get LOL every three banks even on default settings.
Greyjoy. Make Martell mode harder to complete. Keep the rest the same.
Lannister. Make it so your max bonus X can be 10 more X than any other house. (Normal cap is 25x I believe). Also add SKBs ideas haha
Stark. Pretty good the way it is.
Martell. Pretty good the way it is.
Tyrell. Pretty good the way it is.
Also add skbs ideas throughout. Haha

All these ideas are in the GOT kicks ass thread if you want to search for them and compile them here. If you can find the above post there the rest are near it.

#5 3 years ago

The game is fantastic. I agree with many of the ideas here. They should keep tweaking the houses until people are choosing them more equally. Martell is too powerful relative to the others.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

The game is fantastic. I agree with many of the ideas here. They should keep tweaking the houses until people are choosing them more equally. Martell is too powerful relative to the others.

Martell stark and Tyrell are pretty equal stark being the lesser of the three. Greyjoy is by far the most powerful but can take time to set it up.

#7 3 years ago

Virtually all tournament players play Martell. A few play Tyrell. Never seen anyone play Stark.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Virtually all tournament players play Martell. A few play Tyrell. Never seen anyone play Stark.

Lesser of the three. Haha. Just because it might not be the safest tournament strategy doesn't mean it's not a powerful house. If you can concentrate on hurry ups and WHC multiball you can get monster scores with stark. Could maybe use a bit more power that benefits the player sooner in the game, but I think Stark house as is is pretty good.

#9 3 years ago

Long rant warning.

First off, I think GOT is an amazing pin. I absolutely love mine and play it the most out of my whole collection. Dwight has done a great job with the code so far. Like a few other pinsiders, I have spoken directly with Dwight and I know that he cares a great deal about the quality of the work that he does. At his talk at Expo, he stated that we should be content with the game as is. It is "done" from a company perspective. But he has plans - things that he hopes he gets time to add to the game. Hence, we can hope for a code update, but there is a chance that none will come.

I agree with most of the ideas on this thread. Baratheon and Lannister seem to need the most tweaks to make them more desirable to play. Having the action button more involved in these or other modes might be nice as well.

For me, the biggest thing I'd like to see is more callouts and audio clues from the show. What makes a game truly immersive (at least for me) is the light show, and the audio. The lighting on this game is already great, especially on the premium / LE. The flashing white lighting in the winter is coming hurry up perfectly creates the feeling of a snowstorm (I should know living in Alberta, Canada). It can mess with your shots but that is what's so cool about it - it adds a challenge and makes you feel like you are in the cold north of Westeros. The color changing inserts (eg extra ball, blackwater) also kick ass. And the lighting on the castle is awesome too. What remains lacking is the callouts from the show. IMO, some of the best games as far as immersion go are LOTR, Tron, Spider-man. You feel like you are a part of the world of that game because the game constantly gives you audio feedback. For example, when you hit Green Goblin in SM, he either cackles in laughter or talks shit to you. Same for Sandman grunting or chatting with Peter. Or Doc Oc. In LOTR, each character you collect for FOTR says something. When you start TTT Sarumon gives his epic callout ("to WAR!"). When you have a timer running, Frodo or Gimli make you feel the pressure of the shot. In destroy the ring, the callouts between Gollum and Frodo make you feel like you are on the edge of Mt. Doom over the lava fighting over the ring. Same with the callouts for Tron.

All of these games are great at making you feel like you are in the world of the game. And isn't that what we really want when we play a licensed pinball game - to pretend that we are in that world?

That's what is missing from GOT. There are a million great lines from the show. Ones that would make you feel like you are in Westeros. So just like when you collect a fellowship member in LOTR and that character says something, why not have the character say something when you start or are in a house? The callouts in this respect are Tyrion (once!) for Martel, and Arya when playing the Stark mode. Both of these sound awesome, but they also show how barren the other modes are. For example, when starting Greyjoy, you see images of Theon, but he says nothing. Same in the mode. Nothing for Tyrell. Nothing for Baratheon. Nothing for Lannister. Nothing during Martel mode.

How cool would it be to hear the Viper talking shit to the Mountain in Martel mode?

"Have they told you who I am?"
"I am the brother of Elia Martel"
"Do you know why I have come all they way to this stinking shit pile of a city?... For you."
"I am going to hear you confess before you die"
"Say it."
"You raped her! You murdered her! you killed her children!" - ok maybe this last one is too much, but it is an epic line.
"Say her name! Say it!"

Or some banter between Jamie and Bronn as they save Jamie's daughter:

"That would have been a shit way to die"
"As far as I've seen they are all shit ways to die"
"Two knights off to save a princess"
"Morning lads! Glad we found you."
"Swords in the sand, Now!"
"That one should be slow enough"

Or dialogue from Theon as he takes Winterfell:

"You all know me!"
"My father has donned the ancient crown of salt and rock. And declared himself king of the iron islands"
"He claims the north as well by right of conquest"
"Betray me and you wish you hadn't"
"Send a raven to Pyke informing my father of my victory here."

Same shit with Baratheon and Tyrell.

Also, some kick ass comments from John Snow, Lord Mormont, and others at the wall during Wall MB.

Lastly, I know the White Walkers don't talk much, but some sound fx during Winter has Come would top that mode of perfectly.

While you don't want non stop blabbing, you can priortize some speech over others (eg if two modes are running). Also, you could do a sound callout for the first shot to each house (like in Martel already), then no callouts for the next two shots, but then have callouts for each successful shot IN the mode.

IMO this would make the game outstanding.

Blah blah blah. Long rant over.

#10 3 years ago

Some Ned Stark quotes as you are first hitting / collecting Stark modes would be nice too. He was such a great character.

Lastly, I'd like to see some color changes for the inserts. Why have white shots for both Castle MB and Stark? There should not be any doubling up when you can make the inserts whatever shade / color you want.

#11 3 years ago

Good current example of what sound clips and callouts can do to make a game seem great or not is BM66. First thing I (and many others) noticed when I watched the initial gameplay videos of the game in action was the lack of callouts. It makes the game seem boring, uninspired and non immersive. Just a few odd 60s "beeps" and "bops". Seems very lame. I know its early code and Lyman will do amazing work in the coming updates, but for now, that is something that really stands out.

And for me, its what stands out in the current GOT code.

#12 3 years ago

Love this pin as well.
I hope a lot, if not most, of these tweaks can someday make it in. The real standout issue is being light on callouts still.
If Dwight could include some additional audio, like the lines above, man the pin would just be unreal.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

This is actually worth a ton if you have earned big WIC hurry ups before starting the multiball. I've gotten over a billion points in this multiball lots of times.

How do you increase the value of the WIC hurry ups? Just via playfield multipliers?

rd

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

How do you increase the value of the WIC hurry ups? Just via playfield multipliers?
rd

Picking stark as your house is the best way. The base value jumps to around 16-17 million per hurry up. Collect those with like 5-10x mixed multipliers and you can have super jackpots in WHC worth 300-500 million.

#15 3 years ago

Hmm, I will have to investigate the Stark idea.

FYI, Keith Elwin got 16B using Martell at PAPA.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Hmm, I will have to investigate the Stark idea.
FYI, Keith Elwin got 16B using Martell at PAPA.

That was unreal even if it was on broken old code. still would've been around 10 bills if it was on current code probably. That's unreal for competition.

However I saw a score that Gagno got on current code of over 30 billion. Haha. No idea what house he used or how he got to that point.

Not saying Stark is good for competition. Just saying it's not worthless like Lannister

#17 3 years ago

How cool would it be if, when you lost a ball in the outlanes, the woman from the faith militant said "Shame! Shame!" while ringing her bell.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

How cool would it be if, when you lost a ball in the outlanes, the woman from the faith militant said "Shame! Shame!" while ringing her bell.

That would be great!

#19 3 years ago

Thanks for all the posts !!

I forgot to list Tyrell in the list -- I think it's pretty good as is.

It would also be really great to get rid/enhance the video mode AND get rid of the Iron Bank. Waste of a button!!

To this end, Iron Bank could be:

Tyrell: up the multiplier by 1 when you press the button (like before collecting super jackpot)
Baratheon: wall resurrect/wall spot?
Stark: hurry up/WHC resurrect?
Lannister: ?

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballOsp:

Thanks for all the posts !!
I forgot to list Tyrell in the list -- I think it's pretty good as is.
It would also be really great to get rid/enhance the video mode AND get rid of the Iron Bank. Waste of a button!!
To this end, Iron Bank could be:
Tyrell: up the multiplier by 1 when you press the button (like before collecting super jackpot)
Baratheon: wall resurrect/wall spot?
Stark: hurry up/WHC resurrect?
Lannister: ?

Good ideas for the iron bank usage!

Maybe Lannister could increase your bonus x by 3x? Combine that with allowing Lannister to reach 30-35x bonus, and that would be awesome!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Machine - For Sale
Oakland, NE
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside