• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpeg
1486d_1024x1024.jpg
image.png
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Got my Game of thrones pro today. Played a couple test games and the game is pretty fun. The artwork looks way better in person.

However, the game light show is absolutely terrible. I've seen dark games and games that have poor color choices. But this one takes the cake. It has no spotlights like usual sterns. Instead, it has a bunch of flashers. Flashers! The game is constantly pulsing the GI and adding flasher effects. The light show works against you as the player.

If you find it fun to have challenge added to the game not by tight shots but instead by blinding, pulsing, and strobing lights, then this game is for you. My friend was dizzy after playing.

I can't wait to get started on fixing this problem. Will update this thread with what gets done. (Problem is quite solvable).

Edit: I will say that the clear coat was one of the nicest and thickest I've ever seen on a stern.

#2 8 years ago

I got rid of a game because of this (JP's flashing GI). Hope they fix it in the code.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Edit: I will say that the clear coat was one of the nicest and thickest I've ever seen on a stern.

Exactly what I thought - really impressive.

Didn't notice the GI as it was a well lit room. Inserts were very colorful.

#4 8 years ago

Awesome. Cant wait to blast this out and kill my retinas. TWD was heading that way and KISS can put on a fair light show when it wants too. Im guessing though the problem is when they are flashing?

Stern haven't had spot lights on their games since mustang and that was for the car only not on the slings. As for flashers may be possible to switch em out, place a dampening film over the bulb etc, use uv. There are option for the players that don't like it but I love that stuff so I wont be touching a thing. That said though if there are enough complaints Stern will address it in coding I'll wager in the future.

#5 8 years ago

Quick question. Are you having issues with the sword lock releasing more balls then it should? And also ive heard that the right orbit rejects shots quite a bit?

#6 8 years ago

I generally don't like flashers in any game. Here's what I do:
1) Turn the flasher brightness to the minimum in the menu
2) For LED flashers, I apply a Sharpie to all but a few LEDs. (I learned this trick from Melissa at Cointaker.)
3) Yellow LEDs are generally very dim. I use yellow LED flashers where possible.
4) Blue LEDs can be very harsh on the eyes. I generally replace them with white flashers and let the lens do the coloring.

I realize you are describing a design problem, but I hope this can help you enjoy your game better.

#7 8 years ago

I thought I heard a comment out of Expo that the game's lighting was more intense than they thought in a dark room and it would be addressed in software.

#8 8 years ago

Hey guys. Thanks for the suggestions but I already know how to fix this thing up and will make modifications to enjoy my game. I was just shocked how absolutely unplayable it was stock.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I thought I heard a comment out of Expo that the game's lighting was more intense than they thought in a dark room and it would be addressed in software.

I believe it was mentioned in the update readme.

I'm all for the bright lighting effects, but there probably should be a menu option to tone it down if a user wants. Ambient lighting may be a big factor in how it all appears too.

Rob

#10 8 years ago

That happened with my DH after I put LED flashers in it. You have to have bright light to play it. My TFTC is bad also.

#11 8 years ago

ST has some obnoxious flashers after the last update. Even though it blinded me and cost me some drains, I still liked it. After a while I got used to it and can easily play through the flashers even in the dark. A good, vibrant light show is vital for modern pinball IMO. It attracts people to the game and adds to gameplay. That said, I understand that some of our eyes are more sensitive than others. Hopefully, Stern can address all this with simple settings. If not, shouldn't be hard to swap bulbs for less bright versions.

#12 8 years ago

Played this on location and during multiball the flashers are so intense it's hard to keep track of everything.

#13 8 years ago

Personally I don't care for all the bright white LED GI lighting. And of course we have no option now of changing it to different color or shade/warmth level of bulbs. Stern has made it kind of easy to "just say no" based on my personal preferences. JJP did the same thing with Hobbit, and it made it easy to just say no also. It seems that WOZ was among the last of the games not being aggravating with GI lighting, and possibly the last of the Stern games before the Spike system. JMHO...

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Instead, it has a bunch of flashers. Flashers!

No way!

A Steve Ritchie game with a bunch of flashers ??

#15 8 years ago

lol

#16 8 years ago

hmmmmmmmmmm..that's about it.

#17 8 years ago

Have you tried turning them down?
image.pngimage.png

#18 8 years ago

It's the ultra bright 2 led bulbs that you can see through the inserts that do my head in. Too bright!

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Have you tried turning them down?
image.png

Barely noticeable difference

At expo it was easy to play in a well lit room

In a dark game room it can be brutal at times

#20 8 years ago

Best mod for GOT.

1486d_1024x1024.jpg1486d_1024x1024.jpg

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

That happened with my DH after I put LED flashers in it. You have to have bright light to play it. My TFTC is bad also.

Agree about TFTC. I simply removed a few flasher bulbs and it made a huge difference.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Personally I don't care for all the bright white LED GI lighting. And of course we have no option now of changing it to different color or shade/warmth level of bulbs. Stern has made it kind of easy to "just say no" based on my personal preferences.

No spotlights, and no option to change out the GI, even on the pro? Definitely makes it a "no" for me.

#23 8 years ago

Wonder where these pinball companies ever came up with the idea to replace all the incandecant bulbs with LEDs.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Wonder where these pinball companies ever came up with the idea to replace all the incandecant bulbs with LEDs.

It seems like some sort of a conspiracy

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from Hi-Fi:

Played this on location and during multiball the flashers are so intense it's hard to keep track of everything.

There is medium ambient light at my GOT location and the intense strobe lights are way too much. ST seems like it has incandescent bulbs compared to GoT.

#26 8 years ago

There's a spotlight on each sling. More on the castle if you get an LE/pre

#27 8 years ago

Ah, cool - I was going by Markmon's comment. Is the GI still socketed on the Pro?

#28 8 years ago

Those are flashers on the slings

#29 8 years ago

Interesting didn't notice it at the expo. However I had to tone down (replace) 4 flashers on Mustang. It was pretty brutal especially to guests.

#30 8 years ago

Glad I sprang for the Premium and didn't buy the Pro machine that was produced with the worst ever lightshow.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Glad I sprang for the Premium and didn't buy the Pro machine that was produced with the worst ever lightshow.

GoT is Beta code ffs so expect the Spike system together with the flashers available on the game to put out a great show when the code is polished. I had the pro St and Prem. I preferred the pro for gameplay and light show. Don't really care for the whole rgb stuff that goes on with the those games. Really adds little imo. I sold both but if I bought St again I would get the pro. Faster like the GoT pro

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

GoT is Beta code ffs so expect the Spike system together with the flashers available on the game to put out a great show when the code is polished. I had the pro St and Prem. I preferred the pro for gameplay and light show. Don't really care for the whole rgb stuff that goes on with the those games. Really adds little imo. I sold both but if I bought St again I would get the pro. Faster like the GoT pro

I dunno, my GOT premium is supposed to arrive around christmas time, is this a Star Trek thread? Are they the same game?

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Personally I don't care for all the bright white LED GI lighting. And of course we have no option now of changing it to different color or shade/warmth level of bulbs. Stern has made it kind of easy to "just say no" based on my personal preferences. JJP did the same thing with Hobbit, and it made it easy to just say no also. It seems that WOZ was among the last of the games not being aggravating with GI lighting, and possibly the last of the Stern games before the Spike system. JMHO...

So you can change all the GI bulbs. The plastics are mostly brown. Warm white looks fantastic in this game.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

So you can change all the GI bulbs. The plastics are mostly brown. Warm white looks fantastic in this game.

Let me tell you how to fix it.......

#35 8 years ago

I seriously hope that Stern does not tone down the lighting due to a few complaints. I love the light show on GoT. Play through the pain!

#36 8 years ago

.....loving the game play and shot multipliers on this machine as well.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

I seriously hope that Stern does not tone down the lighting due to a few complaints. I love the light show on GoT. Play through the pain!

I like a bright light show as well and think the Pro plays great. Lightshow always improves in code updates and GI bulbs are simple to change to personalize it if need be.

#38 8 years ago

Are all the flashers now those LED boards? Most were LED boards in KISS and I thought they were inferior in brightness to socket type LED flashers.

Rob

#39 8 years ago

the darker the room, the more led's hurt your eyes. must have lights turned way up in the room. at expo (tourney area in the bright hallway) it was fine to me, and i really dont like leds.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

No way!
A Steve Ritchie game with a bunch of flashers ??

Steve Ritchie games do not usually replace spotlights with flashers. This is not a common thing and has never been done before on a stern.

Quoted from Rob_G:

Are all the flashers now those LED boards? Most were LED boards in KISS and I thought they were inferior in brightness to socket type LED flashers.
Rob

The flashers are 5v led flasher bulbs in 906 or 89 sockets. They're not compatible with regular bulbs or existing led flashers since they run at 5v. I was able to replace the 89 bright white spinner flasher with a 555 socket and a blue bulb and it looks great now.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Steve Ritchie games do not usually replace spotlights with flashers. This is not a common thing and has never been done before on a stern.

I was just teasing you because SR is known to go asscrazy with flashers.

#42 8 years ago

So I did a lot of work on this and am happy with the outcome. I wired in a power supply to the coin door bill accepted cord that comes with the game. This is always on. I moved the playfield flashers on the slings to be 5v on my power supply. I added a spotlight aiming at the flippers. I added some led strips under the flippers and in back. I replaced a couple blinding flashers with some that are slightly toned down. I replaced all the cool whites with warm whites since the artwork is brown.

The game is now evenly lit up the middle and near the flippers. The light show no longer ruins the game in a dark room. It plays as if the room was well lit. It's very hard to tell how huge the difference is in photos but it's remarkable in person. Here are a couple photos taken in the dark. Left is my game, right is a friends game stock (I have both here). My iPhone made the left look ridiculously color bombed in the back. It's nothing like that in person.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

10 months later
#43 7 years ago

Bump.

This pin is giving me seizures.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Bump.
This pin is giving me seizures.

Try Going into adjustments and reduce lighting effects and see if that helps.

#45 7 years ago

Turn off the Intense Lighting setting and it's MUCH MUCH better.

#46 7 years ago

Especially bad during multiball. (I have a pro). And crazy during winter has come.

I've chosen to leave it as is, and focus on the flipper area during all the flashing. Good training for competitive play.

rd

#47 7 years ago

I kind of like the insane lights. I just picked up a GOTLE yesterday. The previous owner had the lighting effects dialed down in the menu, and this is one of the first settings I changed. Yes, it can make it more difficult to follow the balls at times, but that kind of makes the game unique.

#48 7 years ago

Winter has come is supposed to be blinding--like a snow storm.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Winter has come is supposed to be blinding--like a snow storm.

Yeah, the snow gets in your eyes and you miss the ball.

rd

#50 7 years ago

Haha.. yeah I used to think people that complained about LEDs in general where whiners. Then I was playing a GOT premium on location and got a multiball and was nearly blinded

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-has-to-be-the-worst-light-show-in-pinball/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.