(Topic ID: 146810)

GOT: Had to smooth a backbox decal -- check yours!

By Jrnyman

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Jrnyman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hi All,

So I was looking closely at the decals on the sides of the backbox for GOTLE, and my Jorah side had an "eggshell" texture to it, and the tiniest part of an edge was peeling off (I had to really look close-up to see it). I took a sham cloth, and starting in the middle of the decal, firmly pressed down and smoothed out the decal. To my surprise the whole decal (full surface area) made a scraping/crinkling saran-wrap sound as I smoothed it out. Basically I could hear the glue unadhering and re-adhearing as I smoothed out the decal and got all the air pockets out! I can even see now that the whole decal has a "tighter" look against the side of the backbox.

From what I heard and saw, and from the texture of the backbox, I think I know what's going on with the infamous "peeling side art" issue on the new sterns. The surface texture of the sides of the backbox is made up of a bunch of tiny hills and valleys/crevices. If the Stern workers do not get all of the water out during the wet method (or push it out too lightly), it looks like it leaves behind a bunch of tiny air pockets in the crevices under the whole decal,so only half of the overall surface area is adhered to glue. So, it's only a matter of time until the air tries to escape, pushing the decal off of the backbox.

Note: Only one side of my backbox had this issue, my Daario side was firmly attached, tight, and smooth as glass. After I did the wipedown on the Jorah side it's now smooth as glass and totally adhered.

I think I fixed the jorah side from what I see [knock on wood]. However, I will wait a week and see if:

a) I see any part of the decal peeling away again
b) If I wipe it down/smooth it out, I hear the same crinkling noise, or see any "eggshell texture" quality.

And then I'll post my results.

Hope this helps save some decal from peeling! And here's hoping I don't need to keeping smoothing out the Jorah side as a regular ritual. But, I love this freakin game so much that if I have to, I have to.

#2 8 years ago

My met that is peeling

image.jpgimage.jpg

#3 8 years ago

my twd premium is as well on one side, but not too badly.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

My met that is peeling

image.jpg

What about vinyl wallpaper seam sealer? It's pretty strong stuff and can adhere vinyl on vinyl. The cheap old, flimsy wallpaper that's in my bathroom was peeling at the edges when I bought the place. I used this stuff, and it's held for 5 years.

Seam sealer is going to be my last resort to try (if needed):

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Roman-s-Golden-Harvest-3-oz-Stick-Ease-Wall-Covering-Seam-Adhesive-209904/203309840

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Jrnyman:

Hi All,
So I was looking closely at the decals on the sides of the backbox for GOTLE, and my Jorah side had an "eggshell" texture to it, and the tiniest part of an edge was peeling off (I had to really look close-up to see it). I took a sham cloth, and starting in the middle of the decal, firmly pressed down and smoothed out the decal. To my surprise the whole decal (full surface area) made a scraping/crinkling saran-wrap sound as I smoothed it out. Basically I could hear the glue unadhering and re-adhearing as I smoothed out the decal and got all the air pockets out! I can even see now that the whole decal has a "tighter" look against the side of the backbox.
From what I heard and saw, and from the texture of the backbox, I think I know what's going on with the infamous "peeling side art" issue on the new sterns. The surface texture of the sides of the backbox is made up of a bunch of tiny hills and valleys/crevices. If the Stern workers do not get all of the water out during the wet method (or push it out too lightly), it looks like it leaves behind a bunch of tiny air pockets in the crevices under the whole decal,so only half of the overall surface area is adhered to glue. So, it's only a matter of time until the air tries to escape, pushing the decal off of the backbox.
Note: Only one side of my backbox had this issue, my Daario side was firmly attached, tight, and smooth as glass. After I did the wipedown on the Jorah side it's now smooth as glass and totally adhered.
I think I fixed the jorah side from what I see [knock on wood]. However, I will wait a week and see if:
a) I see any part of the decal peeling away again
b) If I wipe it down/smooth it out, I hear the same crinkling noise, or see any "eggshell texture" quality.
And then I'll post my results.
Hope this helps save some decal from peeling! And here's hoping I don't need to keeping smoothing out the Jorah side as a regular ritual. But, I love this freakin game so much that if I have to, I have to.

Yep I noted this in my post regarding my TWD sideart. I came to the same conclusion that the mating surface the side panels are made of don't allow good adhesion.

What's more disturbing, they are still sending this crap out like this knowing damn well about the problem.

#6 8 years ago

Just curious: is there a solution for this issue, or preventative measures that can be taken to avoid this? I'm thinking of getting my first NIB ever (GoT pro) and i know I'd be worried about this happening to my game. Of course, i suppose i could have an artist friend paint custom art on the cabinet for me since I'm not crazy about the cab decals on GoT pro anyway...

#7 8 years ago

Try this stuff. Recommended by my two best friends who are 3M certified graphics installers.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/65952O/3mtm-tape-primer-94.pdf

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Try this stuff. Recommended by my two best friends who are 3M certified graphics installers.
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/65952O/3mtm-tape-primer-94.pdf

You would have to completely remove the old decal and apply this stuff I am assuming. Also would you have to have new decals for this to be effective?

On a side note we should not have to deal with this shit. We must really love pinball to put up with this after paying thousands of dollars for these toys. Unfortunately I am starting to lose that love I might just start to play pins on location and say fuck collecting.

#9 8 years ago

Ok here is what they said:

Just put it around the edges of the machine let it sit for a minute then lay the decal back down.

May need a clamp to hold it down

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

I am starting to lose that love I might just start to play pins on location and say fuck collecting

Or just buy games on the secondary market after all the kinks have been worked out. Not worth it if you're not enjoying the ride IMO. Good luck.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Just curious: is there a solution for this issue, or preventative measures that can be taken to avoid this? I'm thinking of getting my first NIB ever (GoT pro) and i know I'd be worried about this happening to my game. Of course, i suppose i could have an artist friend paint custom art on the cabinet for me since I'm not crazy about the cab decals on GoT pro anyway...

That's why I started this post. I caught that my decal needed to be smoothed out firmly to get rid of a tiny pillow of air left under it from the wet method. I'm hoping (knock on wood) that because I caught this on the second day of owning the game that the sticker is now permanently affixed since the glue was still nice and active. From what I saw and heard I believe that what I did was the preventative measure. Check your backbox decals when you first get the game, make sure they are smooth and firm against the cabinet. Try smoothing them out firmly and listen for air trying to escape. Mind you, you would need a magnifying glass to see the edge that was starting to peel on mine, it was the unsmooth surface that caught my eye.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
Machine - For Sale
Tuscaloosa, AL
$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-had-to-smooth-a-backbox-decal-check-yours and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.