Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by RawleyD
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

McFly.jpeg
    images-1.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    redfeltchair.jpg
    AmazingAss.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

I went to pick up the machines today and he wasn't there and the storage locker was empty. I went to the office and they did have an envelope for me. It was the $100 I paid down and a note saying "Sorry .. got a better offer".

Well I am out the vacation day of work and the $60 for renting the truck. I had bought from him once before but won't ever again.

Too me when you take someones money the deal is done even if you get another better offer.

#2 12 years ago

At the very least, they should have contacted you so you could bid against the other guy.

#3 12 years ago

wow, got gyped is right. after money changes hands its a done deal! +1 to what DrAzzy said too, a phone call would have been nice as to not waste your time etc. sorry to hear it BD

#4 12 years ago

Jeez, talk about leaving the groom at the alter! That was classic chicken shit. No class. Sorry for you BD

#5 12 years ago

For some people in desperate times the allure of a better deal with more money for the seller meant more than keeping his word. For some people breaking their word means nothing to them.
    Add into the mix a sprinking of GREED, and he chose his "better deal" which meant more money in his pocket.

Consider yourself lucky that he left your $100 downpayment for you to pickup at the storage
    facility.

My word and reputation mean more to me than breaking a deal and going for bigger bucks.
    As Tony Montana said "in this world I got two things, my word and my balls, and I don't break em'
    for nobody"

#6 12 years ago

Did this happen in Indiana?

#7 12 years ago

When he accepted your offer why didn't you pay and pick up the same day ? Did not read through your other thread completely. At least the guy should have told you he had a better offer and allowed you to make a counter, sounds like the guy is a real flake.

#8 12 years ago

No class, I agree, at least he returned the $100. That is pretty good for a person that does not have the honor to stand behind their word. Wonder if a pinsider got them and did not know it? Anybody recently get contacted by a guy with machines from an auction?

My guess is he called one of the many overpriced flippers on eBay and got $50 more and sold.

#9 12 years ago

Small Claims Court.

Keep the note, and serve the prick with papers.

He owes for your time off work, truck rental, and gas money.

#10 12 years ago

I'm guessing one of the other bidders on the units gave him a better offer as they didn't immediately show up on craigslist for just turning a profit.

(pin-tastic) I only paid the $100 to him last night when he called and came by as it was a sight unseen deal. Since I had bought from him once before from an auctioned unit I was willing to take the risk of their condition. His hotel room was here in Fort Wayne. The storage locker was in Auburn IN a little over an hour away and he wasn't going back until this morning.

#11 12 years ago

You, sir, had a legally binding contract which was violated. You are entitled to any damages that you might have incurred such as the vacation day, gas and rent for vehicle, and the difference in purchasing the same pinball machine elsewhere. I do not know if you had anything in writing or not, but even if you didn't there is the doctrine of Promissory Estoppel ( http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Promissory+Estoppel).

I guess it all depends on how much money you are out all together and how much extra you'd have to pay for the same machine elsewhere. If it is a large enough amount there is always Small Claims Court. Contacting the sell and explaining the contractual violation cannot hurt.

#12 12 years ago

Did he sign anything?

#13 12 years ago

Hey BD got a picture of the guy from the storage unit.

AmazingAss.jpgAmazingAss.jpg

#14 12 years ago

Was this all handled by phone? By email? Did he put his name at the end of the email(s)?

#15 12 years ago

Same thing happened to me, I was going to go steal a Party zone for 300 bucks, then he saw it on ebay for 1200 I was already half way to the machine

#16 12 years ago

Thanks all. And Snurdley your picture is great and something I'd expect from NimblePin. Wonder what he will come up with ?

I'm gonna let it go. He is looooooooong gone now and on his way to the next auction etc.
    The one thing I did get from the office is a list of registered bidders and contact info for the auction. It'd be more satisfying to contact them with a warning of beware of his deals and promises.

#17 12 years ago

Its too bad BD. I know you are a man of your word. He is not. Good to see you are taking a positive attitude towards the situation. Something good will come out of this. You help so many people...karmas for real.

#18 12 years ago

Sorry to hear about this BD.

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from Brokedad:

Thanks all. And Snurdley your picture is great and something I'd expect from NimblePin. Wonder what he will come up with ?

Happy to fill in when NP is absent. I'm sure now that you challenged NP he will come up with something epic.

#20 12 years ago

i was looking forward to some pics of bd bringing home the bounty.
    it never amazes me how often people do this. i guess someones word is not that important anymore.

sure sucks.

#21 12 years ago

Sounds like this guy lacks integrity to say the least!! I agree, money changed hands, that's a deal, and I too being in your shoes would never do business with him again. Wonder how he would see things if the locker he bid on and thought he owned were to be given up for a better bid...........................he's a low life! Sorry you lost out BD.

#22 12 years ago

To be fair, you DID get a red felt chair and a lamp for free. At least you won't be crying in the dark on the floor dreaming of the three that got away?

redfeltchair.jpgredfeltchair.jpg

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from mystic:

To be fair, you DID get a red felt chair and a lamp for free. At least you won't be crying in the dark on the floor dreaming of the three that got away?

That was the estate sale up the street .. not the pinball deal. And those were $5 each. At least they had the integrity on the informal sale of his stuff the relatives didn't claim for their own.

When I made my last sale on the Phoenix, A-Go-Go, and the Williams baseball machine I had gotten another offer that was a few hundred higher. But I made the deal and he came through so he got it as promised without even putting down money. My word was the deal and I honored it.

#24 12 years ago

Wait.. didnt you say you went through his van? He let us go through his van of stuff and we got a nice red felt chair and lamp for free.

No matter, was just trying to be funny. The guy obviously has no class. I would be super pissed if I took off work and rented a truck and I had already put $100 in his hand.. bitter.

#25 12 years ago

It's cool mystic ... I appreciate you trying to make me feel better !!!
    Hey .. I'm not always coherent with the meds and treatments these days.

I'd like to share this link from Loupie about an upcoming event for a vet in need her hubby sent me via email along with a pic of her and the doggies (won't share pic without permission):

http://citizensvoice.com/news/ohio-man-plans-fundraiser-for-local-vietnam-veteran-1.951385#axzz1Ti4gUk1F

#26 12 years ago

I'm sure now that you challenged NP he will come up with something epic.

Naaah,
    A Classic works just fine!

images.jpegimages.jpeg

Football=Pinball...
    Sorry to hear about that BD!
    As the old saying goes...
    "If it sounds too good to be true- they will probably eat you and wear your skin..."

#27 12 years ago

Thats just a crappy move.
    sorry BD

#28 12 years ago

Good to see you are taking a positive attitude towards the situation.

Well he DOES have his avatar to console him!!!

images-1.jpegimages-1.jpeg

He will be O.K...

#29 12 years ago

Oh man that suxs - some guys just lack class
    -greed

#30 12 years ago

wow. you swung a deal sight unseen and have bought from him before? sounds like a great guy to deal with. some people might say it's spiteful, but i would use that contact list simply as a fair warning to others. i mean, ok fine, he got a better offer and wanted the money. a bullshit move to say the least, but to not call you and waste your time, not to mention your money like that? i would assume that you weren't the first person treated that way, nor probably will be the last. calling people would take effort that probably isn't worth expended, but you might reach someone who could really use that information...

#31 12 years ago

Karma is a bitch! The next unit this guy gets into is going to have a big bee's nest in it and he is going to get stung more then 50 times!!! It is done, the hair has been burned, the curse has been cast. Don't mess with a Pinsider !

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from jrrdw:

The next unit this guy gets into is going to have a big bee's nest in it and he is going to get stung more then 50 times!!! It is done, the hair has been burned, the curse has been cast. Don't mess with a Pinsider !

jrrdw, that is absolutely hillarious, hopefully true, yet still a gut buster. Let this be a learning experience for all of us...Stay true to your word and for those who aren't lets burn them at the stake.

#33 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

As the old saying goes...
    "If it sounds too good to be true- they will probably eat you and wear your skin..."

I'm not sure that is an old saying.

#34 12 years ago

This sucks, I hate people who can't keep their word.

#35 12 years ago

That guy is a genuine ass. Sorry to hear about it BD but you really have a great attitude about it! I truly hope all is going as smoothly as possible for you!

#36 12 years ago

I'm not sure that is an old saying.

It's an Oldie where I come from...

McFly.jpegMcFly.jpeg

#37 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

It's an Oldie where I come from...

"Maybe you guys aren't quite ready for it yet.. but your kids are gonna love it."

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-gyped and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.