(Topic ID: 204372)

GOT defective playfield. What would you do?

By megalo17

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CUJO
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What should I do?”

• Suck it up and attempt to level the inserts 4 votes
    8%
  • Strip the playfield and install a protector 9 votes
    18%
  • Be lazy and do nothing 8 votes
    16%
  • None of the above 30 votes
    59%

(51 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

o (resized).jpg
DSC_0017 (resized).JPG
got1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0714 (resized).JPG
IMG_0712 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider megalo17.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

My GOT playfield inserts started sinking after 40 plays... Long story short, Stern is not going to replace it (surprise, surprise). Stern rant over. The real question is what should I do to prevent damaging the clear around the inserts? The inserts are sinking, so the damage is starting to show. I'm hesitant to try and level them on a newer game. My understanding is that the routered lip that the insert sits on is too low. I've also considered purchasing a plastic playfield protector to avoid damage. What would you guys recommend?

#4 6 years ago

These pics were taken at the start of the sinking. I'm now up to 600 plays and it's taking it's toll. The wildfire left side black paint is now gone. The LOCK insert is starting to chip on the left side. Several others are sinking to a lesser degree. Wildfire definitely affects ball travel.

IMG_0712 (resized).JPGIMG_0712 (resized).JPG

IMG_0714 (resized).JPGIMG_0714 (resized).JPG

#8 6 years ago

To be fair, I am the second owner. Bought it with less than 40 plays. Sinking started shortly thereafter. I did attempt to go through the distributor, who passed along the request. 4 months after Stern accepted the request, no answer. While I'd love to take them to small claims court for a very well known manufacturers defect, it's not good for my blood pressure. C'est la vie...

#11 6 years ago

He said that it's obviously defective. He said he would do what he could to help, but no guarantees. That's all I could ask of him. I personally didn't put any money in his pocket...

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

What would cause this?....and stern sucks for not helping out, even though its 2nd owner.

The cause, I was told, is inconsistent routing of the lower lip that the insert sits on.

Quoted from HighVoltage:

Why is newer a problem?

I'm assuming that the epoxy is stronger on a newer game, compared to 20 years old.

#20 6 years ago

I don't want to mention names, but I believe he's a well known and respected dist.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

If Stern accepted the request then you are getting a new populated playfield

They “accepted my request to review the game,” for whatever that is worth. It definitely doesn’t sound like it has been approved. I emailed Pat for clarification. I’ll archive the thread right now if I’m simply waiting for a pf. I was really just looking at alternatives as I think Stern has told me to pack sand...

#29 6 years ago

Previous owner had already informed his distributor of the sale.

#32 6 years ago

Vid’s guides are great and I’ve used them many times. Performing some of the repairs is also easier said than done. Taking an exacto knife to a $4k 2 year old pf is no easy feat.

#44 6 years ago

Welp, I got a call from Stern today asking for more photos. The jury is still out. Just a little bit of communication from them would go a long way! 4 months with not a word is too much in any form of business. Again, I don't place any blame on the distributor. I didn't purchase the machine from him, I bought it very slightly used. He did help me get the ball rolling. I knew it was a long shot as I was the second owner. I look at it like a car purchase, though! When I bought my slightly used car, it was still under warranty. That warranty conveys to the new owner (I know that pinball warranty's are paper thin). For a quality issue as rampant and widespread as this, however, I don't only feel like it's the "right thing to do/ moral responsibility," I almost feel like it's a legal responsibility. These pins cost almost as much as a pretty sweet used car! Has Stern lost a lot of money during the GB/GOT ordeal? I'm sure. Hopefully they'll learn from it, beef up the QA program, and customer service experience while they're at it. And that 2009 used car of mine? I just got two recalls yesterday...

DSC_0017 (resized).JPGDSC_0017 (resized).JPG

#61 6 years ago

Newest pictures I submitted to Stern yesterday showed enough damage that I'm now getting a new playfield! Thanks for the help...

#72 6 years ago

Yep! I'm swapping a BOP right now. Not looking for more work...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider megalo17.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-defective-playfield-what-would-you-do?tu=megalo17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.