(Topic ID: 204372)

GOT defective playfield. What would you do?

By megalo17

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CUJO
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What should I do?”

• Suck it up and attempt to level the inserts 4 votes
    8%
  • Strip the playfield and install a protector 9 votes
    18%
  • Be lazy and do nothing 8 votes
    16%
  • None of the above 30 votes
    59%

(51 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

o (resized).jpg
DSC_0017 (resized).JPG
got1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0714 (resized).JPG
IMG_0712 (resized).JPG
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago

That is totally sick ! This is what is making many people that I come across so on the fence on pulling the trigger on nib sterns lately. It is not so much the lack of qc, but primarily the toss up of if they will do anything about it. Wow is all I can say...There is no way I would keep a game that looked like that. Totally feel for you man.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I would literally go postal and tell Stern this playfield is getting shoved up someone's ass if they don't do something about it!!
Just another reason why I won't buy new Stern games.

Agreed, that sunken 'Wildfire' insert is a joke and if that one insert sinks like that then it is likely that there will be other inserts with the same issue. I think that Bryan would have made one hell of a litigator.

Gord

#53 6 years ago

NIB Sterns are a gamble for sure. Now a secondary market Stern raises concerns. I bought a GB LE on the secondary market with minimal ghosting that progressed to involve 8 or so inserts in a few months. Weird the way it happened but luckily it was replaced after I sold it. The original owner worked it out with the distributor. I took a BIG loss on it but could care less as it was a valuable lesson.

#54 6 years ago

that's not even 'sunken' insert.. that thing has broke free.

#55 6 years ago

Holy crap. That insert is falling through the floor. That sucks. They better make it right.

#56 6 years ago

Sucks!
I'd keep working for resolution with distributor/Stern.
And no Pinstadium, please don’t fix the shadow from this crappy insert.

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from megalo17:

Welp, I got a call from Stern today asking for more photos. The jury is still out. Just a little bit of communication from them would go a long way! 4 months with not a word is too much in any form of business. Again, I don't place any blame on the distributor. I didn't purchase the machine from him, I bought it very slightly used. He did help me get the ball rolling. I knew it was a long shot as I was the second owner. I look at it like a car purchase, though! When I bought my slightly used car, it was still under warranty. That warranty conveys to the new owner (I know that pinball warranty's are paper thin). For a quality issue as rampant and widespread as this, however, I don't only feel like it's the "right thing to do/ moral responsibility," I almost feel like it's a legal responsibility. These pins cost almost as much as a pretty sweet used car! Has Stern lost a lot of money during the GB/GOT ordeal? I'm sure. Hopefully they'll learn from it, beef up the QA program, and customer service experience while they're at it. And that 2009 used car of mine? I just got two recalls yesterday...

That is unbelievable. You will get a new playfield no doubt. I don't see anyway they decline you on that, I don't care if you're the original owner or not. That playfield was not put together correctly period.

#58 6 years ago

The new Stern reality.

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

The new Stern reality.

Things are improving Mike. Look at the newer playfields, they are having fewer problems. AS playfields look to be fantastic quality and from what I hear the GOTG playfields look equally as good.

#60 6 years ago

Stern support is very hit or miss.

They took care of my cabinet but ignored my recent email about the two recent tech bulletins for a cheap capacitor and zip tie.

#61 6 years ago

Newest pictures I submitted to Stern yesterday showed enough damage that I'm now getting a new playfield! Thanks for the help...

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from megalo17:

Newest pictures I submitted to Stern yesterday showed enough damage that I'm now getting a new playfield! Thanks for the help...

Gary Stern's ass has been saved.

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from megalo17:

glad to hear it!!!!

Keep us posted on timing/when it happens!

#64 6 years ago

Great news.

Also, as bad as this is, let's recognize Stern for stepping up to support this. He's not the primary owner, so it's great that they transferred support to him.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from megalo17:

Thats great, as they should do! Such a great game, glad you'll have one thats perfect!

Now if only they would change my shit playfield too

#66 6 years ago

Kudos to Stern!

#67 6 years ago

Good.

#68 6 years ago

I'm glad they did the right thing. But, they should be doing it without needing to be publicly shamed.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from megalo17:

Populated?

#71 6 years ago

That's beyond horrible.
Exactly why my last NIB Stern was a ST PRO and no plans to buy another until quality rebounds.

Glad Stern did the right thing...too bad it takes putting this on the internet to get results.
Congrats!

Are they giving you a populated playfield or do you have to do all the swapping?

#72 6 years ago

Yep! I'm swapping a BOP right now. Not looking for more work...

#73 6 years ago

This is officially the dumbest thread ever on Pinside (okay 2nd or 3rd dumbest). Stern didn't have to do jack shit - it was a SECOND HAND MACHINE. The previous owner may have been throwing bowling balls on the playfield for all anyone knows (not saying they were, but thats the general idea behind restricting second hand items in ANY commercial industry from warranty claims). That they are replacing the playfield way above and beyond any reasonable metric and a bunch of Pinsiders are STILL railing against Stern........well, its business as usual here. If this is the "new Stern" then sign me up! Also a sincere congrats to the GOT owner on the new PF - enjoy your machine!

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from megalo17:

Yep! I'm swapping a BOP right now. Not looking for more work...

Score!

#75 6 years ago

that's great news, this was definitely a defect PF.

who made this happened at stern?
and if it wasn't for this thread, new playfield?

#76 6 years ago

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

The playfield should be replaced

.....and Stern is replacing it! They did not have to...and it would have not been because of any new fine print. They are under no obligation to replace anything second hand...and yet they did! That was my only point (which you missed) - was that Stern replaced a playfield to the deafening noise of pinsiders complaining about Stern replacing a playfield. Is Stern breathlessly refreshing this thread by the minute and then firing off an email as soon as it gets 'too hot? Doubtful, but you are all free to believe whatever you want. My second point also still stands - stoked for the OP and his new playfield!

#78 6 years ago

#79 6 years ago

If Stern didnt stand behind their defective goods then folks would lose confidence in buying HUO Stern games which then puts the brakes on NIB Stern games when a seller cant sell & from what I hear the NIB Stern market has been suffering with sales due to lost NIB confidence.

So I guess what I'm saying is Stern needs to stand behind their defective product. Playfields on HUO games do not fail unless defective.

We all know damn well Stern QC has gone downhill as of late. Its all over this forum in every F'n thread. No bowling ball nonsense required.

The good news is Stern made it right... after this thread which is so similar to others.

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from zeddex:

.....and Stern is replacing it! They did not have to...and it would have not been because of any new fine print. They are under no obligation to replace anything second hand...and yet they did! That was my only point (which you missed) - was that Stern replaced a playfield to the deafening noise of pinsiders complaining about Stern replacing a playfield. Is Stern breathlessly refreshing this thread by the minute and then firing off an email as soon as it gets 'too hot? Doubtful, but you are all free to believe whatever you want. My second point also still stands - stoked for the OP and his new playfield!

I agree and disagree with you both. If this were a ghosted insert or two I'd agree with you but this is clearly just a bad quality playfield. Here's what I don't understand, he is the 2nd owner and he bought it with under 40 plays on it. Who the hell buys a pinball machine and doesn't play it 40 times before selling it? That's just weird

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Who the hell buys a pinball machine and doesn't play it 40 times before selling it? That's just weird

people with crap tons of cash.
and/or people who don't care about loosing crap tons of cash.

#82 6 years ago

#83 6 years ago

People always say that pinball is mechanical, it’s different. Cars are mechanical and warranted for 100,000 Miles. An airplane is mechanical and expected to work flawlessly for decades. Here, an owner is SOL because they bought a game with 40 plays?

I don’t care what the piece of paper says, common sense says it’s new and deserves protection.

Whatever happened to good old common sense? Oh yeah - our lawsuit happy society.

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from zeddex:

The previous owner may have been throwing bowling balls on the playfield for all anyone knows

Every time I've thrown a bowling ball at one of my playfields the damage has been... Oh man, there is just no helping this stupid statement.

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from megalo17:

Op, Could you please open up the coin door and take a picture of the edge of the play field that has a sticker labeled “politico”? There should be a number on the sticker as well. Thanks in advance for any response.

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Every time I've thrown a bowling ball at one of my playfields the damage has been... Oh man, there is just no helping this stupid statement.

yeah that's the first thing i do when I get a new game, new or used, pull the glass and throw a few bowling balls at it to make sure the playfield is tough!

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Oh man, there is just no helping this stupid statement.

I know reading is hard and all...but next time read the entire sentence before calling someone stupid. I was using hyperbole to illustrate a general rule of warranty. I know, I know....thats pretty advanced for a beginning reader like yourself.

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

... no helping this stupid statement.

Quoted from zeddex:

... read the entire sentence before calling someone stupid.

He didn't call you stupid. He called your statement stupid. You are more than a statement. Part of reasonable discussion is realizing that. When you do, it is much easier not to get angry and emotionally lash out when challenged.

#89 6 years ago

That wildfire insert is a crater!!!! :O

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I agree and disagree with you both. If this were a ghosted insert or two I'd agree with you but this is clearly just a bad quality playfield. Here's what I don't understand, he is the 2nd owner and he bought it with under 40 plays on it. Who the hell buys a pinball machine and doesn't play it 40 times before selling it? That's just weird

I call it a possible warning sign. I bought my MET with like 25 plays and it ended up having the defective playfield. I got it home and put about 50 more plays on it and the playfield started chipping everywhere. Stern replaced the playfield and head decals.

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

The weird thing is your statement makes less sense. I mean at least understand Zeddex's point; Yours I do not.

#92 6 years ago

She did it!

o (resized).jpgo (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

6,575 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-defective-playfield-what-would-you-do/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.