Topic Stats

• 140 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by fast_in_muskoka
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

PK.png
nub.jpg
image.jpg
popcorn.gif
image.jpg
dictionaryshow.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djblouw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I just want to give everyone a head’s up to not deal with Pinhead86 (Josh) here on Pinside. He is deceitful, dishonest, and goes back on his word.

I was looking to trade my BSD for a few certain titles. Pinhead86 contacted me offering to trade a Diner, which is what I wanted. He sent some pictures of the game. Some of these were blurry.

Rather than inconvenience him to take more, I asked specific questions that are known issues with this title, such as pf wear, GI pins, battery acid, and the condition of the characters (worn/raised).

He responded that “The character inserts are fine and there is no diamond plate it has a mylar protective cover on the playfield i wanted to peal the mylar up and have it clear coated but I never got around to it” He also described the game as “it's not perfect but it is in full operation”

We agreed on the swap and to meet in the middle (a 2 hour drive for each of us). Since we swapped games in the parking lot of a Home Depot, we did not have the opportunity to inspect each other’s games. I had posted many high resolution photos of BSD. And I took him for his word on the condition of Diner.

Once I got the game home and had time to unload it & set it up it was two days later. The first thing I noticed after taking the glass off was the character inserts were severely raised! The exact condition I had asked about, and was lied to by Pinhead86. Also, none of the drop target optos were registering, the left side GI was out, and there were a few segments out on the score display.
I PM’d Pinhead86 to let him know what I found and that I wasn’t happy. He stated “I apologize about the inserts i thought it was just the mylar” (Lie #1)

About the optos he stated “and the optics were also working just installed a new opto board in it not to long ago” (Lie #2)

So after a week of working on the machine to correct the functional issues I discovered that:
a) The 12V line for the optos to the interconnect board were in the wrong locations (J15 & J2 swapped) giving negative 12V to the opto board
b) One of the opto boards was incorrect. It was a C-12559 from a System 11B, not the C-13205 from the System 11C.

I PM’d Pinhead86 with some of this information, and asked him to either pay for a new optoboard & display, or exchange games back. He replied “I apologize i will pay pal you the money for those parts, can you let me know where to send the money and exact amount to please.” (Lie #3)

I let him know the total cost of parts ($200) and waited. A week later I inquired on the payment. Pinhead86 changed his story “The problem I am having here is that you came to after two week of owning said machine with theses problem, A day or two afterwards, ok, but not two weeks” (Lie #4)

He then starts to list issues with the BSD from me. All of the items he listed were visible in the pictures in my fs add. This was obviously a defense tactic to try to weasel out of having to pay.

Since then (one week ago) I have not heard anything from Pinhead86.

I realize I should have made the full drive to his place to check it out to determine if it was fully functioning and as described. However, I believed that there were decent people in this hobby, and took him for his word. Apparently choggards spirit still lives on.

I have come to terms that this lowlife will probably never make this right.

I just want to warn everyone else to never do business with Pinhead86.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Mistake #1. NEVER count on a sellers opinion of condition.

Mistake #2. Why not? Even a quick inspection will reveal a worn playfield and burnt connectors and battery corrosion and...
Suggestion: when meeting remotely, carry a UPS capable of keeping a pin up for 5 minutes.

Wait, what arrangement did you make after the pm conversation?
A week is not a long time to wait for someone to pay a $200 bill. Relax. You have only exacerbated matters with this inflammatory post and decreased the chances of an acceptable resolution. You share a bit of blame in this for not being a diligent buyer.
IMO!

Yes, I've admitted I should have done things differently. But, I've done a number of transactions like this and the other party was always honest about their game. I'm just letting everyone else know to use caution when dealing with Joshua.

I started working on the machine myself, as I want a game that functions properly.

Regarding the time frame, he's already stated that he thinks this is a closed issue, and has stopped responding to PMs a week ago, even though he's on pinside daily. If coming up with the money was the issue, I'd understand. But he's obviously not intending to correct the problem

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

By the way, I think the correct term is "Choggarded"

Thanks Collin. I fixed it. I knew I should have looked it up in the dictionary first!

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Is it too early to sign up for the free shaker?

Sorry...no shaker motor. But I do have a 3 opto drop target board C-12559 that can be raffled. Plus, Pinhead86 says it's in working condition!

Quoted from arcademojo:

Man I hope this isn't going to be a new thing on pinside

Me too. I'm just trying to make sure he doesn't do this to anyone else

Quoted from Jeekayjay:

All this over $200?

Nope. I've already stated that I don't expect him to ever be a man and make it right. It's just a warning to other pinsiders to be aware of this guy

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Someone posted the OP was insane for trading a BSD for a Diner

Yep. Wasn't a fan of BSD. Kinda wanted a Diner. Obviously this is a hobby for me, not an investment.

Quoted from johnwartjr:

Was pinhead86 intentionally trying to decieve the OP, or was this a disagreement on something

Since he stated the drop target optos were all working, he was obviously lying since they were hooked up incorrectly, and one of them was even an incorrect board (could have never worked like this) from a previous system 11 platform.

Quoted from Collin:

I would say settle for a cage match above an active volcano with Carrot Top as referee, but I doubt we'll get the satisfaction either of us desires.

Sorry, no violence. Although some carrottop might actually be amusing. If Pinhead86 can arrange for carrottop to stop by and do some prop comedy while I repair Diner, then all will be forgiven.

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

I have used the earlier Sys11 drop target opto boards in later Sys11 games, even WPCs. The earlier ones had discrete components instead of the LM339. The LM339 likely reduced the price to manufacture the board - electronically, the circuit is pretty similar. The board still has a 7 pin connector and a 4 pin connector.

Actually the C-12559 also has the LM339 on the board similar to the C-13205. Even the connectors are the same (7 pin & 4 pin). However, the C-12559 does not have the correct resistors installed at R9, R10, R11. I'm sure there is a way to get it to work--I'm continuing to work on it. However, this wouldn't qualify as fully functional as received.

Quoted from johnwartjr:

plugged it back in wrong and didn't fully test it before delivering it

He stated he was playing it the night before and it was working. He hadn't even removed the balls from the machine to transport it. So I highly doubt he would have actually removed the glass to work on anything.

1 week later
#128 4 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

Did this end up getting resolved?

Well, Carrottop didn't show up while I was repairing Diner, so not really resolved. But I have fixed the machine myself. Haven't heard anything form Pinhead86, even though he's on Pinside daily. Hence, the reason I'm warning others not to deal with him--and it has worked at least once to my knowledge, with someone not replying to his interest in a game that was fs.

Quoted from underlord:

sounds like a guy who isn't a pin repair expert. deceit? I dunno...

He stated that something was worked the night before I got it (drop target opto board) even though there is no way it could have ever functioned properly since it was the wrong part is deceitful in my book. But, I'm sure he'll gladly make a deal with you if you're interested.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djblouw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside