Topic Stats

• 140 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by fast_in_muskoka
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

PK.png
nub.jpg
image.jpg
popcorn.gif
image.jpg
dictionaryshow.png

There are 140 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 3 years ago

I just want to give everyone a head’s up to not deal with Pinhead86 (Josh) here on Pinside. He is deceitful, dishonest, and goes back on his word.

I was looking to trade my BSD for a few certain titles. Pinhead86 contacted me offering to trade a Diner, which is what I wanted. He sent some pictures of the game. Some of these were blurry.

Rather than inconvenience him to take more, I asked specific questions that are known issues with this title, such as pf wear, GI pins, battery acid, and the condition of the characters (worn/raised).

He responded that “The character inserts are fine and there is no diamond plate it has a mylar protective cover on the playfield i wanted to peal the mylar up and have it clear coated but I never got around to it” He also described the game as “it's not perfect but it is in full operation”

We agreed on the swap and to meet in the middle (a 2 hour drive for each of us). Since we swapped games in the parking lot of a Home Depot, we did not have the opportunity to inspect each other’s games. I had posted many high resolution photos of BSD. And I took him for his word on the condition of Diner.

Once I got the game home and had time to unload it & set it up it was two days later. The first thing I noticed after taking the glass off was the character inserts were severely raised! The exact condition I had asked about, and was lied to by Pinhead86. Also, none of the drop target optos were registering, the left side GI was out, and there were a few segments out on the score display.
I PM’d Pinhead86 to let him know what I found and that I wasn’t happy. He stated “I apologize about the inserts i thought it was just the mylar” (Lie #1)

About the optos he stated “and the optics were also working just installed a new opto board in it not to long ago” (Lie #2)

So after a week of working on the machine to correct the functional issues I discovered that:
a) The 12V line for the optos to the interconnect board were in the wrong locations (J15 & J2 swapped) giving negative 12V to the opto board
b) One of the opto boards was incorrect. It was a C-12559 from a System 11B, not the C-13205 from the System 11C.

I PM’d Pinhead86 with some of this information, and asked him to either pay for a new optoboard & display, or exchange games back. He replied “I apologize i will pay pal you the money for those parts, can you let me know where to send the money and exact amount to please.” (Lie #3)

I let him know the total cost of parts ($200) and waited. A week later I inquired on the payment. Pinhead86 changed his story “The problem I am having here is that you came to after two week of owning said machine with theses problem, A day or two afterwards, ok, but not two weeks” (Lie #4)

He then starts to list issues with the BSD from me. All of the items he listed were visible in the pictures in my fs add. This was obviously a defense tactic to try to weasel out of having to pay.

Since then (one week ago) I have not heard anything from Pinhead86.

I realize I should have made the full drive to his place to check it out to determine if it was fully functioning and as described. However, I believed that there were decent people in this hobby, and took him for his word. Apparently choggards spirit still lives on.

I have come to terms that this lowlife will probably never make this right.

I just want to warn everyone else to never do business with Pinhead86.

#2 3 years ago

That sucks. Thanks for the heads up though, I won't buy from him.

#3 3 years ago

Sorry to hear this...I have done similar trades in parking lots etc...I guess I have just been lucky...hopefully he makes it right

#4 3 years ago

I did a parking lot exchange with a fellow Pinsider as well who came up from the USA and pin was exactly as described. So there are good people on here.

#5 3 years ago

That really sucks. Thanks for letting people know though. Bad sellers need to be called out so others avoid making the same mistake.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Rather than inconvenience him to take more [pictures],

Mistake #1. NEVER count on a sellers opinion of condition.

Quoted from djblouw:

Since we swapped games in the parking lot of a Home Depot, we did not have the opportunity to inspect each other’s games.

Mistake #2. Why not? Even a quick inspection will reveal a worn playfield and burnt connectors and battery corrosion and...
Suggestion: when meeting remotely, carry a UPS capable of keeping a pin up for 5 minutes.

Quoted from djblouw:

So after a week of working on the machine

Wait, what arrangement did you make after the pm conversation?

A week is not a long time to wait for someone to pay a $200 bill. Relax. You have only exacerbated matters with this inflammatory post and decreased the chances of an acceptable resolution. You share a bit of blame in this for not being a diligent buyer.

IMO!

#7 3 years ago

Ugh that sucks. Thanks for making this thread though, because it's good to know who the Choggards are.

#8 3 years ago

Geez ... got a scare there when I saw what looked like a reference to me. Rest assure I have a clean record!

#9 3 years ago

A

Quoted from pinster68:Geez ... got a scare there when I saw what looked like a reference to me. Rest assure I have a clean record!

Lol!!!

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Geez ... got a scare there when I saw what looked like a reference to me. Rest assure I have a clean record!

looks like you got about 18 years on him...

#11 3 years ago

Bought a machine once, sight unseen. It was only my second pin. I was relying solely on emailed pics and his reputation. Although the machine had some minor problems relatively soon after I got it, once the initial problems were ironed out, it has been a very reliable and steady player. Did not pay top dollar for it either which leaned in my favor.
When I think back on the transaction... I easily could have been duped.
All worked out in the long run BUT I learned a very valuable lesson and I will never do that again.
Inspect, play, inspect some more.

Sorry to hear of your trouble djblouw.

For anyone considering a similar swap, go the extra "mile" to where the machine is so you can check it out.
A couple more hours on the road is a small price to pay for peace of mind and satisfaction.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

I totally thought the same thing,
Was about to chime in "Hey, I bought from this guy and it went great!"

Boooooo for the imposter...

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Suggestion: when meeting remotely, carry a UPS capable of keeping a pin up for 5 minutes.

My truck has an outlet in it (2 prong, not 3) and I also have an adapter for the lighter hole (3 prong), could you run a pin off one of those in a parking lot to see if it fired up and ID issues?

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Mistake #2. Why not? Even a quick inspection will reveal a worn playfield and burnt connectors and battery corrosion and...

A week is not a long time to wait for someone to pay a $200 bill. Relax. You have only exacerbated matters with this inflammatory post and decreased the chances of an acceptable resolution. You share a bit of blame in this for not being a diligent buyer.
IMO!

Yes, I've admitted I should have done things differently. But, I've done a number of transactions like this and the other party was always honest about their game. I'm just letting everyone else know to use caution when dealing with Joshua.

I started working on the machine myself, as I want a game that functions properly.

Regarding the time frame, he's already stated that he thinks this is a closed issue, and has stopped responding to PMs a week ago, even though he's on pinside daily. If coming up with the money was the issue, I'd understand. But he's obviously not intending to correct the problem

#15 3 years ago

Wow, that sucks. I would expect communication to come faster when an issue like this needs to be resolved.

By the way, I think the correct term is "Choggarded"

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Lol you and me both! Lucky for me, the guy is one year older haha.

#17 3 years ago

Pinhead68 seems to have the writing skills of a 1st-grader.

#18 3 years ago

I am not perfect and I have made mistakes in my life. I forgive Kevin Gaskins because he made it right. Nick

Crap, wrong thread. I hope you get this resolved.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

By the way, I think the correct term is "Choggarded"

Thanks Collin. I fixed it. I knew I should have looked it up in the dictionary first!

#20 3 years ago

...All these users with the numbers "8" and "6" in their IDs.. Amazing.

#21 3 years ago

dictionaryshow.png

#22 3 years ago

So good

Quoted from Crash:dictionaryshow.png

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

dictionaryshow.png

Isn't getting screwed out of a bad thing a good thing?

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Isn't getting screwed out of a bad thing a good thing?

You beat me to it!

#25 3 years ago

I have dealt with Pinhead86 a few times and have had very good results. He is not perfect but has always made things right in the end. I have seen both pins in question and believe me neither of them are perfect. BSD's side art was very rough, just wanted to mention their is always two sides to a story. Hope your luck improves in the future. Plus if I had a quarter for every time I was told a pin was fully functional

#26 3 years ago

In the past 2 years I have bought from pinhead86; rfm, t2, no fear, Stargate, some others I'm forgetting. Also bought some vids; crossbow, defender, tron, some others. I have also sold him some pins too. I am very happy with all my deals and look forward to doing more.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from Trib:

Plus if I had a quarter for every time I was told a pin was fully functional

So true. I have bought *a lot* of machines over the last 20+ years, and I have never bought one that was 100%. Even the new ones need tweaks.

One thing I have noticed (and I'm not implying it is the case here at all!!! Just worth noting...) is that a lot of new guys in the hobby expect a pinball machine to be like a new 50" TV .. unwrap it and plug it in, and you'll have 10 years of trouble free enjoyment. Not the case, as they soon learn.

rd

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Yes, I've admitted I should have done things differently. But, I've done a number of transactions like this and the other party was always honest about their game. I'm just letting everyone else know to use caution when dealing with Joshua.
I started working on the machine myself, as I want a game that functions properly.
Regarding the time frame, he's already stated that he thinks this is a closed issue, and has stopped responding to PMs a week ago, even though he's on pinside daily. If coming up with the money was the issue, I'd understand. But he's obviously not intending to correct the problem

Yeah, that's low. I was just getting at a positive that can come from this event is more diligent buyers. I do wish it didn't come at anyone's expense.

#29 3 years ago

Your first mistake was trading a nice BSD for a Diner. Hope you got some cash also.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Trib:

I have dealt with Pinhead86 a few times and have had very good results. He is not perfect but has always made things right in the end. I have seen both pins in question and believe me neither of them are perfect. BSD's side art was very rough, just wanted to mention their is always two sides to a story. Hope your luck improves in the future. Plus if I had a quarter for every time I was told a pin was fully functional

How stupid do you think we are Pinhead86? A new account started today to defend Pinhead86? It's pretty obvious it's you pinhead86 under a new account

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Your first mistake was trading a nice BSD for a Diner. Hope you got some cash also.

I second that. When I seen your original add posted I was ready to run out and buy a Diner just to trade.

#32 3 years ago

Before everyone judges, there are two sides to every story.
I'm not taking sides here, but a lot of people are quick to judge.
Maybe we should wait for the response from the other guy.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from Trib:

Have only dealt with him a few times but have already seen the BSD...Intradesting.

Oh and needing him to make it right in the end doesn't sound like good results. Make what right exactly?

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

Have only dealt with him a few times but have already seen the BSD...Intradesting.

Exactly. How the hell did he see both machines if both collectors live four hours away from each other? Because he is Pinhead86 and saw them in the parking lot when doing the deal.

#35 3 years ago

I am a new user to pinside but not new to pins. I have purchased my checkpoint, Jurassic park, centipede, and many more arcades from josh. Chill out. I saw the two pins because I live only an hour away from him. We stay in contact regularly. He has a lot of respect for you guys and was concerned when the post went up and asked me to look at it. He talked me into joining but not sure if I will stay. Questioning why he does at the moment. My comment only stated I have seen both pins have you? I'm not saying one was a better deal than the other. I am one of those crazy data east guys so even though I would take any pin that was givin to me I have no interest in either that have been mention. I hope you all have a great week. If you want don't deal with him then I might get some smoking deals

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from Trib:

I am a new user to pinside but not new to pins. I have purchased my Checkpoint, Jurassic Park, centipede, and many more arcades from josh. Chill out. I saw the two pins because I live only an hour away from him. We stay in contact regularly. He has a lot of respect for you guys and was concerned when the post went up and asked me to look at it. He talked me into joining but not sure if I will stay. Questioning why he does at the moment. My comment only stated I have seen both pins have you? I'm not saying one was a better deal than the other. I am one of those crazy data east guys so even though I would take any pin that was givin to me I have no interest in either that have been mention. I hope you all have a great week. If you want don't deal with him then I might get some smoking deals

If he saw the post go up, why isn't he responding?

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

If he saw the post go up, why isn't he responding?

He is. In the post above yours.

#38 3 years ago

What would he say? You appear to have made up your minds anyway.... But for the record I did tell him he should.

#39 3 years ago

A different side of the story might change that

#40 3 years ago

Agreed

#41 3 years ago

Silence is almost always deafening

#42 3 years ago

Is it too early to sign up for the free shaker?

#43 3 years ago

One thing I can't stand is when everyone is quick to point out the "mistakes" that the OP has made. The point he is making is that he is issuing a "buyer beware" based on his experience. Yeah he could have driven the extra miles etc etc but he fully admits that. He is not complaining about a lightbulb that was out or some minor issue.
He wishes people were true to their word. In a perfect world that would be true. Yes there are two sides to the story but he brings up some valid reasons.

#44 3 years ago

Yup I forgive u both

Quoted from cosmokramer:Is it too early to sign up for the free shaker?

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from Rando:

My truck has an outlet in it (2 prong, not 3) and I also have an adapter for the lighter hole (3 prong), could you run a pin off one of those in a parking lot to see if it fired up and ID issues?

Pins draw about 100-150 watts so it's probably possible with the right converter.

#46 3 years ago

Better?

image.jpg

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

IMO!

I agree with this post. I have bought my first two machines in two months and neither one was exactly what the seller said. Even if they are a pinsider that's no excuse for not being thorough.

Thanks for the warning though.

#48 3 years ago

+1 for shaker draw when everyone kisses and makes up

#49 3 years ago

popcorn.gif

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Better?

image.jpg

take out the word bad and you got it

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 229.00
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Trade
Sale Pending!
Alexander City, AL
$ 399.95
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Marietta, GA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 21.00
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fredonia, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
4,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, OH
There are 140 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside