IMG_2582_(resized).JPG
aficionado_(resized).jpg
Screenshot_2015-10-04-11-23-22.png
maxresdefault_2.jpg
20141024_085945.jpg
20141024_094914.jpg
cardboardbodykit.jpg
karma-3.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nextopin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 9 years ago

Sorry this happened to you, I know exactly how you feel other than the money part. I got choggarded by Choggard. I'm still finding shit wrong with this pin that I'm pretty sure he did, like plastics installed wrong, posts in the wrong places etc. little things really, but every time it just brings it all up again, I can't wait to totally redo the pin to get all the choggard out.

Pins or not, I just don't understand how someone can flat out lie about the condition of things just so they can rip someone off. I know it happens all the time, but I really couldn't ever picture myself being able to do it.

Once this guy bought a dune buggy off me, sight unseen except for a few pictures. I was so concerned about him feeling like he got ripped off that I spent an entire week every night after work fixing all the little things, touching up scratches on the frame, tuning the engine, replacing the clutch and throttle cable. He was real happy with the car when he came to get it, and I was happy he felt like he got a fair deal. I couldn't live with myself if I knowingly ripped someone off, I just can't even comprehend it.

If you paid through paypal you have some recourse as long as you didn't pay as a gift. If you used a credit card, you can dispute the charges as fraudulent, your bank can let you know what the criteria is.

Pinside really needs a seller feedback area, for both negative and positive feedback.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Will it really cost $1000 to fix it up? Roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty, it's good for the soul.

He wasn't paying more to get a project.

It sucks when you spend extra time and money to try and find one that you are assured is in great shape, no issues, minor wear and you end up with a project anyway. What they take from you is your free time. Time that you could spend playing the pinball you thought you were getting, or spending time with your family or working a second job (to pay for you pinball habit

If you want to sell overpriced pins, fine, if you want to get more from a noob because you can, fine. But to sell someone something that you don't have and give them junk instead, That's bullshit.

I will never buy one I don't play first unless it's a project or I know their reputation. I know that's not possible depending on where you live, but if you can, find someone local or take a road trip.

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

choggard = hugsc = oldpinballer?

Unlikely.

#153 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Posting someone's court history is not cool, especially since it includes the names of people with complaints against him. Just so we can get both sides of this Damon, what is your full name?

I would agree, but this is public record. If it was confidential info then for sure, it shouldn't be posted, but anyone on the internet can view this information.

#156 9 years ago

Can't we just start a buyer beware thread or a seller review thread? or has this been tried before and shut down?

#180 9 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

This is not a new point. This thread is peppered with suggestions to help shutdown certain disreputable people. The moderators and Robin have made their positions known in the past. Unless that changes, my understanding is that the only way to handle this is with threads like this one.
For the moderators out there: I think many of us realize the importance of keeping this forum open. And that a mob should not be able to arbitrarily vote people off just because of a difference in attitude or opinion. But there seem to be a few select people who are regularly involved in questionable transactions. As a community, we are obligated to help other upstanding or otherwise innocent members of our community. We seem to be failing to do so through omission of action.
I understand the point that this information is available in the archives. But there is a big difference between doing the bare minimum to make it hypothetically possible for people to defend themselves, and facilitating data in order to enhance people's ability to make the best decision. For example, Ebay doesn't just leave a trail of prior transactions for someone to sort through. Ebay make a person's feedback an inseparable part of their identity in that community.
Pinside can and should do better.

I didn't mean an official forum, though that would be nice. I just meant can't we, the community, just start a thread called 'Bad Sellers' or something?

#222 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I get the buyer may feel he has overpaid now.. but game looks salvageable easy enough minus the minor playfield damage outside of the play area.
Another lesson for the new guys.. you don't need cherry, flawless games. That's for bragging rights and guys looking at how much their games are worth. Players games are just as fun and far less drama.. of course no one wants to pay a premium and get an 'good' game vs 'mint'.. but don't bow to the pinside gallery peer pressure that the only games worth anything are the trailer queens.

I get what you're saying, but he wasn't paying for a players game, he was paying for what the seller described and confirmed.

If you bought a car online and the ad said 45k miles, no rust, runs perfect and when it arrived it has 145k miles, rust and a bunch of mechanical issues we wouldn't tell someone that it's ok, just fix it and move on.

It's not about whether or not it's salvageable, but whether or not you got what you paid a premium for. Some people can't or don't want to buy a pin that needs repair, they want to buy one that they can plug in and play, and when you pay extra for that and end up with a project, that's bullshit.

As for what can be done to prevent it?
(just ideas, not saying they would be the correct solution)

Possibly require sellers to verify their identity before they can use the marketplace to advertise a sale?

Maybe require a 'gold' pinside membership to sell. If people are making money off Pinside, maybe they can give a little back to support the site? Maybe the scammers won't pay the extra fee to list?

It's tough when people can just get another email address and create another account. Even if you IP ban, that really doesn't stop anything. It's a difficult situation for Ryan and the mods, I hope they can come up with something.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

7,780 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nextopin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-choggared-by-a-guy-in-rock-island?tu=nextopin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.