6_(resized).png
5_(resized).png
giphy_(resized).png
4_(resized).png
3_(resized).png
2_(resized).png
1_(resized).png
#1 7 years ago

The Castle Black inserts on my GoT Premium are nearly fully obscured on my GoT Prem. I thought it might be nice to see what's happening back there, so I thought I'd tinker with a couple ideas.

Here's where I'm at - mirror the Castle Black inserts, but in a more visible location:

- Stern RGB LED board (from Cointaker)
- Black Kydex Sheet, .060 thick, cut to 1" x 3"
- White Vinyl sticker label, followed by a Mylar overlay (prototype is still just a paper label - not a sticker)
- Wires are soldered directly onto the Castle Black insert LED Boards (prototype)
- Wires are routed behind the ramp & through the gap provided by the diverter arm - w/no interference

Space is pretty tight back there, location options are limited - I placed the mod on the backplate using velcro just under the wire ramp (to the thrown).

Notes/Ideas for Improvement:

1. Kydex material is pretty soft - great for drilling and sanding, bad for cutting. Cannot score and snap very easily like w/acrylic sheet.
2. Black Kydex is fully opaque, which is exactly what I wanted, with light only passing through the 2 holes
3. Rubber washers around the LED elements helps contain/limit light bleed behind the mod
4. I thought including the words "Castle Black" would be nice, but in-game not really needed at all, plus makes the mod a bit taller than it might need to be. I'll try with no words in the next iteration.
5. I can find the correct 10 pin connector to more conveniently attach this mod to the PCB (vs soldering), but I could not find a 10-pin Z-connector (not yet anyway)

This works exactly as I had hoped, one gripe is the new RGB LEDs are not directly in line with the Castle Black inserts themselves. Not a biggie, there is just no space to address this concern.

Any ideas or suggestions to improve this mod?

PS> I'm still not clear how Castle Black works in-game! Even when I can see the state of the insert (on/off/paired). >> Anyone know their function?

1_(resized).png1_(resized).png
2_(resized).png2_(resized).png
3_(resized).png3_(resized).png
4_(resized).png4_(resized).png
6_(resized).png6_(resized).png
5_(resized).png5_(resized).png

In Game GIF:

http://imgur.com/OM2f5uL

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-castle-back-mod-prototype and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.