(Topic ID: 221759)

GOT and GOTG, why are they treated as an unwanted child?

By bladerunner

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 121 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jgentry
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180708_160744 (resized).jpg
MVIMG_20180317_162242 (resized).jpg
MVIMG_20180616_233058 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

I also am tired of this trend of "combo/shot multiplier heavy" games. To me, it's not fun and seems way too much like perpetually solving a math problem rather than playing pinball; and I LOVE math.
I am ok with setting up a full playfield multiplier for a period of time, that's been going on for ages. (Ignite Death Ray for example, is one of my favorites-everybody loves hearing that and knows what is happening). The concept of a total playfield multiplier is very straightforward. "Play like you always do, start this, the points everywhere are now worth MORE"
It seems we have moved as far as way as possible from that toward "If you don't stack that super secret mode with that 12 way combo with the 256 multiplier running there is no way to get a decent score."
I think they have been using the multipliers on the price of these games, but that's another topic...
And I really dislike having to use the lockdown button to move shots around or cash in on some special or secret award at the right moment-Feels way too much like a video game sequence. I want to hit a lit Super Jackpot or combo sequence with *the flippers shooting the ball*.
(Man I feel like I am one step away from saying back in my day, and get off my lawn.... )

Sounds like keefer games and Dwight games arent your thing. But then again, some of the best pinball games have secret shots to amplify a scoring ability, it’s one of Pinball’s finest traits >> risk/reward. You can’t just hit a jackpot and expect a 200 mil cash in. Like on TWD, you gotta do some string of setups to pull of a crazy multiplied cash in. Or on Maiden, building a power jackpot or super jackpot cash in. Or AC/DC, building a song jackpot. Or Metallica, building a CIU mode. The more you know about the rules, the better your scores will be. Plain and simple.

GOT, and SW for that matter, use a unique unorthodox style of rules to accomplish it while giving player active goals, breadth, and achievable wizard modes to progress toward. Pick and choose your poison, but rules for GOT & SW are grand slams for me personally whereas other fan favorite style games (Metallica, AC/DC, TWD) feel more like work despite their ingenious depth of code.

3 months later
#95 5 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I see. So it's trying to blind you on purpose like you're in a snow storm and you can't see. Seems to me you could just remove one or two flashers and it wouldn't be a problem. Or are they welded to a board or something?

Yea you could fix it in with altering the lights. Winter is coming lighting effect is bad ass though. It’s the black water multiball lighting that is horrendously blinding; however, there’s a setting to reduce that effect in the menu options and it’s much more appealing. My 2 cents.

Oh and fwiw; GOT is bad ass but it does have 2 major flaws: 1. the upper pf takes away an awesome stark ramp shot + it needs a better tie in to the ruleset and 2. There’s A huge exploitable scoring bug in the WHC + Wall multiball stack which is easy to attain on the pro, not so much on the prem. This bug can be fixed in settings but doing so gimps houses Baratheon and Stark which are 2 houses that shouldn’t be gimped any further.

Conclusion: game needs balance and polish.

1 week later
#117 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Imagine if JJP made GOT. It would have 30 characters to choose from and we'd all be lost. 6 I handle.

At least they would have been balanced and not have major bugs in the software and a relevant coded mini pf

#118 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

This is the exact opposite I feel about these two games and if I had a dollar for every person I've heard talk about not understanding the GOT rules it would be like I had actually won some dollar games against my friends. Having never watched a second of GOT or read a sentence of the books it is all complete gibberish to me. My buddy @chuckwurt who loves it and has done multi-part streams on the rules has tried to explain it to me at least 10 times and I still don't get it. I almost never know what the best course of action is to take with regards to houses, gold, battles, etc. With GOTG it is all pretty damned straight-forward, you want to complete modes to get to Extra Ball, Cherry Bomb, Immolation and Xandar. A few plays of each mode and you'll know which you have the best chance of completing and which order to go after them as well as what the best use of Groot and Orb MBs are. Maybe that's the problem, it is too easy to understand?

I think Pinball suffers from left brain vs right brain syndrome. Games like GOT, SW, and JJPOTC make complete sense to me; but games like GOTG, AS, and BM66 make no sense, i.e. just chase the flashing arrow and watch movie clips, no rhyme or reason. I mean, I get the rules and all, I just don’t grasp the depth or strategy, is there any? With those other game’s there’s all sorts of depth, breadth, and diversity.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 22.50
$ 28.00
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Eastvale, CA
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-and-gotg-why-are-they-treated-as-an-unwanted-child?tu=Eskaybee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.