(Topic ID: 221759)

GOT and GOTG, why are they treated as an unwanted child?

By bladerunner

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 121 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jgentry
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180708_160744 (resized).jpg
MVIMG_20180317_162242 (resized).jpg
MVIMG_20180616_233058 (resized).jpg
There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I agree, only own GB Prem and IMDN Prem but all 3 really do have beautiful artwork. And i think Iron Maiden is Stern's best pin of all time.

I agree with gb and I think Imdn has a great playfield art package. I really think DD aerosmith playfield Is much nicer and Deadpool is absolutely gorgeous.

Iron maiden best stern of all time Id have to say being an owner that's its the most overrated pin of all time. Imo its too much geared to tournament play for obvious reasons. It has the most boring EB shot of all time... again obviously because tournament play does not include Eb's plus I think the upper inner most loop is a clunky shot... More flippers doesn't always mean better. In multiball they all just plain get in the way. not to mention the whole upper left quarter of the pf is a giant plastic... total waste of space and poor design.

I still stand by TWD as the best stern pin in recent history given its layout and code combined. I don't think it will be surpassed either any time soon.

on topic I recently departed with my imdn much to the surprise of some friends and got a gotg pro. Suffice to say it craps all over imdn for fun. it wont be going anywhere soon.

#102 5 years ago

Or do what I did and have IMDN, GOTG, SM, AND GB and your all set with different style games.

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Iron maiden best stern of all time Id have to say being an owner that's its the most overrated pin of all time. Imo its too much geared to tournament play for obvious reasons

I agree. Power modes could be far more engaging than just something in your way for example.

Quoted from John1210:

on topic I recently departed with my imdn much to the surprise of some friends and got a gotg pro. Suffice to say it craps all over imdn for fun. it wont be going anywhere soon.

I'm actually really keen on DeadPool myself. I haven't played it enough yet, but so far I found myself enjoying it way more than IMDN.

Rob

#104 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

They have flashersduring certain times to distracts you, like a heavy snow, cause of the theme. Some peeps don't like this but could be easily changed.
One of the weirder complaints I've seen.

It’s more of an accessibility issue...some games have seizure warnings for extreme strobing effects and GoT is seriously up there.

I never have issues with light sensitivity, but with GoT I start to get very rapid eye movements and my jaw tightens a little bit. At first it was really weird and kind of scary.

I covered up a lot of flashers and turned the Blackwater effect to the lowest setting, but I still need to turn the room lights on in order to play it.

No problems with any other game, even newer Sterns.

#105 5 years ago

I love GoT. I wish they would come with another code update though, specifically I feel like they could have done more with the upper playfield on premium/le.

#106 5 years ago
Quoted from sprite:

I love GoT. I wish they would come with another code update though, specifically I feel like they could have done more with the upper playfield on premium/le.

Buying a premium sometimes means you take a chance that the extra features are not integrated as well into gameplay as you may like.

Rob

#107 5 years ago
Quoted from Supersquid:

Or do what I did and have IMDN, GOTG, SM, AND GB and your all set with different style games.

Quoted from Rob_G:

I'm actually really keen on DeadPool myself. I haven't played it enough yet, but so far I found myself enjoying it way more than IMDN.

I've got Deadpool LE, GoTG LE and SpiderMan

#108 5 years ago
Quoted from bladerunner:

Love both games. GOTG is a better version of STLE (specially with the upgraded sound) and GOT seems like a modern TZ to me.
I like either game better than most other new releases, not going to name those not to offend anyone.
So, I don't really understand why they get such a bad rep

I NEVER EVER heard of GOT as a bad game. (Bad art yes. A hardware flaw on Premium/ LE did hurt the machine also.)
I only now the situation here, but you can nearly find no used GOT Pros, because people seem to like and stick to them.

Way easier to get a used GOTG.

GOTG started with pretty unfinished code, so that's a bad rep that may still cling to it, altough code has long been overhauled.
Personally I think altough pretty, GOTG is kinda blend.
I mean: Yeah there's Groot and Rocket Racoon and stuff but why the heck do I shoot them?
There's a reason the big Toy in Star Trek is the Vengeance and in GoT it's a Dragon, because you 'shoot the enemy'.
And the Enemy shoots back!
But why does Rocket Racoon shoot at me and why does Groot swallow my Balls and throw them back up?
Does that relate to anything in the movie?
Blend slapping of a license onto that game.

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I NEVER EVER heard of GOT as a bad game. (Bad art yes. A hardware flaw on Premium/ LE did hurt the machine also.)
I only now the situation here, but you can nearly find no used GOT Pros, because people seem to like and stick to them.
Way easier to get a used GOTG.
GOTG started with pretty unfinished code, so that's a bad rep that may still cling to it, altough code has long been overhauled.

I never played GoTG, but I have absolutely zero interest in it. The way the missions were programmed with movie video, but not the actual movie voices was just an absolute turn off. Yes, I know someone has done a sound mode, but I'm taking the game at face value, how it comes from the factory. The theme integration was just not appealing to me. The playfield layout isn't interesting to me either with the big groot head.

GoT pro is a really good game that deserves another update to fix the remaining bugs and add some balance to house powers. The color dmd really makes this game shine too. Best spinner and super jackpot in any recent game.

I like the GoTG movies and characters. I have never watched the GoT series.

Rob

#110 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I like the GoTG movies and characters. I have never watched the GoT series.

I forgot to mention that info in my post and modes is a good point.

Watched 5 Minutes of the animated GotG series on TV and saw Rocket Racoon in Marvel vs. Capcom for Xbox360.
Have not seen any moving pictures of GoT despite the Pinball DMD and didn't read the books.
So, absolutely no relation to these licenses, BUT...

...starting GoT, selecting a House and defeat all others to become the head honcho is an easy to understand goal and interresting way to open the game.
(Kind of like an adult Medival Madness.)

In GotG you... select some 'stuff'?

The voice acting is ok for me since I dunno the original voices in the first place.
But even in cases when I do, I mostly do not mind when they're 'sound-alikes' and not completely different.
(The guy that voices Johnny Mnemonic in the game does a good job in my opinion.)

#111 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

But why does Rocket Racoon shoot at me and why does Groot swallow my Balls and throw them back up?
Does that relate to anything in the movie?

Rocket shoots because Rocket shoots at anything all the time, just don't get in the way! He never seems to get hit either, which may be why that shot is so tough (or maybe it's my aim).

As for why Groot swallows balls and spits them out again, um, because Groot

The way I look at it is you're 'boosting' the good guys by hitting the shots, not every game has a big villain to hit.

The Cleland mix with real voices is stunningly good - clearly there were licence issues that stopped them using the real actor's voices. That would be reason enough, but add the music he's added and it is amazing. Anyone with GoTG really should load that up to get the game as it should have been,

#112 5 years ago
Quoted from cyberkryten:

Rocket shoots because Rocket shoots at anything all the time, just don't get in the way! He never seems to get hit either, which may be why that shot is so tough (or maybe it's my aim).
As for why Groot swallows balls and spits them out again, um, because Groot
The way I look at it is you're 'boosting' the good guys by hitting the shots, not every game has a big villain to hit.
The Cleland mix with real voices is stunningly good - clearly there were licence issues that stopped them using the real actor's voices. That would be reason enough, but add the music he's added and it is amazing. Anyone with GoTG really should load that up to get the game as it should have been,

Yeah. Don't not buy Guardians because of the stock audio. Cleland audio is free and kicks major ass. Makes up for all the shortcomings of the stock audio. Problem solved.

#113 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Yeah. Don't not buy Guardians because of the stock audio. Cleland audio is free and kicks major ass. Makes up for all the shortcomings of the stock audio. Problem solved.

But then I can’t complain about GOTG, so I am not going to do it. Not happening!

#114 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Have not seen any moving pictures of GoT despite the Pinball DMD and didn't read the books.
So, absolutely no relation to these licenses, BUT...
...starting GoT, selecting a House and defeat all others to become the head honcho is an easy to understand goal and interresting way to open the game.
(Kind of like an adult Medival Madness.)
In GotG you... select some 'stuff'?

This is the exact opposite I feel about these two games and if I had a dollar for every person I've heard talk about not understanding the GOT rules it would be like I had actually won some dollar games against my friends. Having never watched a second of GOT or read a sentence of the books it is all complete gibberish to me. My buddy @chuckwurt who loves it and has done multi-part streams on the rules has tried to explain it to me at least 10 times and I still don't get it. I almost never know what the best course of action is to take with regards to houses, gold, battles, etc. With GOTG it is all pretty damned straight-forward, you want to complete modes to get to Extra Ball, Cherry Bomb, Immolation and Xandar. A few plays of each mode and you'll know which you have the best chance of completing and which order to go after them as well as what the best use of Groot and Orb MBs are. Maybe that's the problem, it is too easy to understand?

#115 5 years ago

bobukcat Agreed, I barely understand GoT but haven’t played it much. I can explain in ten seconds to a casual player the rules to GotG. That’s not a bad thing because I love the rules to GotG, it just has a lower barrier to entry because at the base level you can say shoot the lit shots and hit groot.

All that said with Cleland audio I like gotg much more than Met.

#116 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

This is the exact opposite I feel about these two games and if I had a dollar for every person I've heard talk about not understanding the GOT rules it would be like I had actually won some dollar games against my friends. Having never watched a second of GOT or read a sentence of the books it is all complete gibberish to me. My buddy @chuckwurt who loves it and has done multi-part streams on the rules has tried to explain it to me at least 10 times and I still don't get it. I almost never know what the best course of action is to take with regards to houses, gold, battles, etc. With GOTG it is all pretty damned straight-forward, you want to complete modes to get to Extra Ball, Cherry Bomb, Immolation and Xandar. A few plays of each mode and you'll know which you have the best chance of completing and which order to go after them as well as what the best use of Groot and Orb MBs are. Maybe that's the problem, it is too easy to understand?

Imagine if JJP made GOT. It would have 30 characters to choose from and we'd all be lost. 6 I handle.

#117 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Imagine if JJP made GOT. It would have 30 characters to choose from and we'd all be lost. 6 I handle.

At least they would have been balanced and not have major bugs in the software and a relevant coded mini pf

#118 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I think Pinball suffers from left brain vs right brain syndrome. Games like GOT, SW, and JJPOTC make complete sense to me; but games like GOTG, AS, and BM66 make no sense, i.e. just chase the flashing arrow and watch movie clips, no rhyme or reason. I mean, I get the rules and all, I just don’t grasp the depth or strategy, is there any? With those other game’s there’s all sorts of depth, breadth, and diversity.

#119 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I don't talk about the rules. I talk about the goal. The goal is to defeat everyone. That's easy to understand and there's Stuff to shoot at.

The goal in GotG... I have no clue.
And for somevreason I shoot the good guys.

After that the 'initial' rules are easy. Shoot blinky things and don't loose the ball to complete modes.

Rest comes later.

#120 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I don't talk about the rules. I talk about the goal. The goal is to defeat everyone. That's easy to understand and there's Stuff to shoot at.
The goal in GotG... I have no clue.
And for somevreason I shoot the good guys.
After that the 'initial' rules are easy. Shoot blinky things and don't loose the ball to complete modes.
Rest comes later.

The goal is pretty simple, complete all the modes - that is certainly not new or novel in pinball so it's either a positive or a negative depending on how you look at it.

Why does Groot eat the balls and then give them back to you? It's easy, he's helping you out but holding onto spare balls until you need them to hit a lot of shots in order to complete the longer modes.

Why hit Rocket, so he gets pissed off and goes on a RAMPAGE that nets you 2x scoring while he's doing it.

Does that help? Probably not.

"We are Groot"

#121 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I think Pinball suffers from left brain vs right brain syndrome. Games like GOT, SW, and JJPOTC make complete sense to me; but games like GOTG, AS, and BM66 make no sense, i.e. just chase the flashing arrow and watch movie clips, no rhyme or reason. I mean, I get the rules and all, I just don’t grasp the depth or strategy, is there any? With those other game’s there’s all sorts of depth, breadth, and diversity.

Yes, they are chase the blinky light games with shots that do not really coordinate with anything. BM66 might be a little less that way and definitely at least has some unique stuff but all of them are start a mode, shoot all the blinking lights that don't mean anything. ST has some added strategy but it is also very much the same. So is Kiss, and several other games though. Most are fun enough and I don't mind owning one or 2 of them but I certainly would not want a collection of them and I usually end up rating those games out pretty quickly.

I like how GOTG shoots and it really is a loaded game, the code is just super bland to me. I get why others would like it though. GOT on the other hand is a really solid game. Lacking in the shots but lots to do and tons of strategy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 22.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
$ 25.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-and-gotg-why-are-they-treated-as-an-unwanted-child/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.