(Topic ID: 221759)

GOT and GOTG, why are they treated as an unwanted child?

By bladerunner

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 121 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jgentry
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180708_160744 (resized).jpg
MVIMG_20180317_162242 (resized).jpg
MVIMG_20180616_233058 (resized).jpg
There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Are you serious Dave? The difference is HUUUUGE!

It is a big difference on GoT, but even turned down, the lighting is way too bright in a dark room. It's a general Stern LED-era problem. They need to play these in the dark when they are testing so they can see how ridiculous the brightness is.

And for the record, GoT is a great game - earns great on the route I help with, too. GotG is not a great game, at least not in its current form, which is not likely to get enough polish to be great as it's a Lonnie production.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Bm66 is closer to those games than GOT. Probably somewhere in between the two groups.

Sorry but B66 is nothing like GOTG. The code is crazy complex and full of multipliers that require the player to have insane knowledge of the game to take full advantage of the game.

That’s why I think it’s closer to games like SW and GOT than Lonnie’s games.

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

Gotg has the worst voices I’ve ever heard. Whoever they got to voice the chars needs to be fired. The entire pin, design and toys is straight copy and pasted from older pins. Groot head is a gimmick that for a lot of people including myself always seems to go straight down the middle. Want a pin with a head that eats the ball get a roadshow or funhouse.
Got isn’t bad just not my cup of tea doesn’t seem to have much staying power. A bunch of people I know sold theirs

Nonesense.

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

Gotg has the worst voices I’ve ever heard. Whoever they got to voice the chars needs to be fired.

Yoiu need to play some X-Men immediately, then. It has the worst licensed voices in a Stern game. Ever. GotG doesn't come close to that. X-Men's voice acting is almost universally bad, but "Shitty Beast", especially, will never be topped for pure terrible acting and voice quality.

#55 5 years ago

GoTG's voice acting isn't bad, it's just not tied to the gameplay and it just plays independently of whatever you're doing. It's so annoying to start a mode and then just have it play clips. The actual voices are fine.

#56 5 years ago

Huh? Lots of people love GOT.. some of the best strategy and code in pinball. Great layout and theme. GOTLE, lots of guys dont like the upper playfield though maybe thats what you mean.

Gotg was weak at first, looks great good theme and layout but the out the door code and sound was brutal, so its got a bad rap, with sound mods and code coming along I bet its a fun game now, would like to put some time on one.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Sorry but B66 is nothing like GOTG. The code is crazy complex and full of multipliers that require the player to have insane knowledge of the game.

I don’t think BM66 is super complex at all.

Certainly not compared to GOT and SW.

An average player can walk up to BM66 and have a decent game, and can get some decent points. An advanced player will exploit the rules better and get more points. Lyman’s rules are great like this. Accessible to beginners and advanced players. The code is deep, but it is grown from an accessible base. That’s why Lyman is a genius.

GOT and SW - good luck to any beginners walking up to those games.

rd.

#58 5 years ago

I also am tired of this trend of "combo/shot multiplier heavy" games. To me, it's not fun and seems way too much like perpetually solving a math problem rather than playing pinball; and I LOVE math.

I am ok with setting up a full playfield multiplier for a period of time, that's been going on for ages. (Ignite Death Ray for example, is one of my favorites-everybody loves hearing that and knows what is happening). The concept of a total playfield multiplier is very straightforward. "Play like you always do, start this, the points everywhere are now worth MORE"

It seems we have moved as far as way as possible from that toward "If you don't stack that super secret mode with that 12 way combo with the 256 multiplier running there is no way to get a decent score."

I think they have been using the multipliers on the price of these games, but that's another topic...

And I really dislike having to use the lockdown button to move shots around or cash in on some special or secret award at the right moment-Feels way too much like a video game sequence. I want to hit a lit Super Jackpot or combo sequence with *the flippers shooting the ball*.

(Man I feel like I am one step away from saying back in my day, and get off my lawn.... )

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I don’t think BM66 is super complex at all.

If you don’t mind sending me a PM on how all the minor villains work and how they interact with each other and how the seasons of the show affect their scoring, I’d greatly appreciate it. Haha.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

(Man I feel like I am one step away from saying back in my day, and get off my lawn.... )

Get off my E.M.!!!

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

If you don’t mind sending me a PM on how all the minor villains work and how they interact with each other and how the seasons of the show affect their scoring, I’d greatly appreciate it. Haha.

Compared to GOT and SW, it’s super easy.

Shoot the lit shots. I think after your 10,000 games of GOT, you’re thinking it’s way more complicated than it is.

Bm66 has very little of “if you don’t know how to do the thing, you get nothing” like Dwight’s games.

It is an advantage to know what the mini-villain modes will give you if you complete them. But you can write this on the back of a business card.

The rest of the game is very straight forward.

Multipliers like BMTDK - nothing complicated about that.

PF multipliers from the stand ups on the turntable - nothing complicated about that.

There is no “if you take Joker and Penguin into Hand of the Riddler and you stand on your head and pump the lock bar with your fist then do a jig then you can get mega points”. Haha

rd

#62 5 years ago

GOT = terrible art, boring gameplay. Does shoot ok though. GOTG = looks cheap, rehashed layout and just doesn't have that 'one more game' thing at all!

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

I also am tired of this trend of "combo/shot multiplier heavy" games. To me, it's not fun and seems way too much like perpetually solving a math problem rather than playing pinball; and I LOVE math.
I am ok with setting up a full playfield multiplier for a period of time, that's been going on for ages. (Ignite Death Ray for example, is one of my favorites-everybody loves hearing that and knows what is happening). The concept of a total playfield multiplier is very straightforward. "Play like you always do, start this, the points everywhere are now worth MORE"
It seems we have moved as far as way as possible from that toward "If you don't stack that super secret mode with that 12 way combo with the 256 multiplier running there is no way to get a decent score."
I think they have been using the multipliers on the price of these games, but that's another topic...
And I really dislike having to use the lockdown button to move shots around or cash in on some special or secret award at the right moment-Feels way too much like a video game sequence. I want to hit a lit Super Jackpot or combo sequence with *the flippers shooting the ball*.

Sounds like keefer games and Dwight games arent your thing. But then again, some of the best pinball games have secret shots to amplify a scoring ability, it’s one of Pinball’s finest traits >> risk/reward. You can’t just hit a jackpot and expect a 200 mil cash in. Like on TWD, you gotta do some string of setups to pull of a crazy multiplied cash in. Or on Maiden, building a power jackpot or super jackpot cash in. Or AC/DC, building a song jackpot. Or Metallica, building a CIU mode. The more you know about the rules, the better your scores will be. Plain and simple.

GOT, and SW for that matter, use a unique unorthodox style of rules to accomplish it while giving player active goals, breadth, and achievable wizard modes to progress toward. Pick and choose your poison, but rules for GOT & SW are grand slams for me personally whereas other fan favorite style games (Metallica, AC/DC, TWD) feel more like work despite their ingenious depth of code.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

GoTG's voice acting isn't bad, it's just not tied to the gameplay and it just plays independently of whatever you're doing. It's so annoying to start a mode and then just have it play clips. The actual voices are fine.

I believe they are in there so you know how much time you have left in a mode without having to look up at the LCD. I prefer it this way instead of it being like LW3.

#65 5 years ago

Opinions really vary around here. GOT (especially LE) & GOTG are 2 of my favorite Sterns.

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Sounds like keefer games and Dwight games arent your thing. But then again, some of the best pinball games have secret shots to amplify a scoring ability, it’s one of Pinball’s finest traits >> risk/reward. You can’t just hit a jackpot and expect a 200 mil cash in. Like on TWD, you gotta do some string of setups to pull of a crazy multiplied cash in. Or on Maiden, building a power jackpot or super jackpot cash in. Or AC/DC, building a song jackpot. Or Metallica, building a CIU mode. The more you know about the rules, the better your scores will be. Plain and simple.
GOT, and SW for that matter, use a unique unorthodox style of rules to accomplish it while giving player active goals, breadth, and achievable wizard modes to progress toward. Pick and choose your poison, but rules for GOT & SW are grand slams for me personally whereas other fan favorite style games (Metallica, AC/DC, TWD) feel more like work despite their ingenious depth of code.

I very much enjoy LOTR (a KEF game) and Stern ST (a Dwight game), ACDC and Metallica (Lyman games) and the wizard modes these and other prior modern games offer.

I also understand the concept of knowing more about the rules allows one to score more. I really used to enjoy playing the games with a notebook beside me on a new game and writing things down as a I learned and discovered them. I am finding I am no longer enjoying many of the new rule sets (Iron Maiden is an exception, I do like that), particularly ones where you there is a heavy reliance on using the lockdown bar button.

Actually, now I am really enjoying going backwards in pinball eras. That is more fun to me.

No wrong answers here, just different preferred styles of games

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from bladerunner:

Love both games. GOTG is a better version of STLE (specially with the upgraded sound) and GOT seems like a modern TZ to me.
I like either game better than most other new releases, not going to name those not to offend anyone.
So, I don't really understand why they get such a bad rep

Both games are great. The games only really get a bad rep from a few people on Pinside, that is all. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. GOTG is following in the footsteps of TWD. Plenty of complaining at the start, game turns out be be a massive hit for people that have machines in their houses. Both games are solid and a good addition to any collection.

#68 5 years ago

I understand the move towards intricate scoring based rulesets. It's a way to add depth to a game without the need for display and audio effects. This reduces the workload and makes it easier to work on a game long after it is released.

The lack of audio and visual rewards is probably my biggest complaint.

#69 5 years ago

Does a shaker motor have a lot of use in this game. Trying to figure out if buying one would be worth it

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from CreepyTom:

Does a shaker motor have a lot of use in this game. Trying to figure out if buying one would be worth it

Which game? GOT makes really good use of a shaker motor, not sure about GOTG though.

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Which game? GOT makes really good use of a shaker motor, not sure about GOTG though.

GOTG makes awesome use of the shaker

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from CreepyTom:

Just get one and try it in all your Sterns to find out. Gotta work to an acceptable level in one of them at least.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from adamsebas:

GOT = terrible art, boring gameplay. Does shoot ok though. GOTG = looks cheap, rehashed layout and just doesn't have that 'one more game' thing at all!

Curious, what makes it look more cheap than any other recent Stern Pro or LE (depending on what you are comparing it to)?

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Curious, what makes it look more cheap than any other recent Stern Pro or LE (depending on what you are comparing it to)?

Bro, the coil count is like super low.

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

GB, GOTG and IMDN are some of Sterns best looking games to date IMHO. The playfield artwork and cab artwork is just amazing on all 3 of them. The artists should be very proud of their work.

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

GB, GOTG and IMDN are some of Sterns best looking games to date IMHO. The playfield artwork and cab artwork is just amazing on all 3 of them. The artists should be very proud of their work.

GOTG's cabinet is especially vibrant. I love the art.

#77 5 years ago

I agree, only own GB Prem and IMDN Prem but all 3 really do have beautiful artwork. And i think Iron Maiden is Stern's best pin of all time.

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

GOTG's cabinet is especially vibrant. I love the art.

I thought that GOTG was Sterns best ever looking cabinet art, then IMDN came along!

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I agree, only own GB Prem and IMDN Prem but all 3 really do have beautiful artwork. And i think Iron Maiden is Stern's best pin of all time.

The honeymoon phase with IMDN is definitely lasting a long time. All 3 models are a definite pinball statement.

#80 5 years ago

Both games are great. The games only really get a bad rep from a few people on Pinside, that is all. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. GOTG is following in the footsteps of TWD. Plenty of complaining at the start, game turns out be be a massive hit for people that have machines in their houses. Both games are solid and a good addition to any collection.

Sorry but Ihave to laugh. I own both and GOTG isnot even remotely following in the footsteps of TWD.

GOTG was shit on release and is finally a slightly above avg stern game. TWD is one of the best they have ever done.

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Sorry but Ihave to laugh. I own both and GOTG isnot even remotely following in the footsteps of TWD.
GOTG was shit on release and is finally a slightly above avg stern game. TWD is one of the best they have ever done.

I agree with you, TWDLE is Sterns best ever release. Go back and read the TWD threads on Pinside when the game first came out. Game copped plenty of grief just like GOTG is now. We have both and I like both.

#82 5 years ago

I agree with you, TWDLE is Sterns best ever release. Go back and read the TWD threads on Pinside when the game first came out. Game copped plenty of grief just like GOTG is now. We have both and I like both.

Oh.

Yeah, twd started off bad code but became great.
Gotg started off nearly unplayable and got better, but will never be much beyond avg IMHO.

Also, if you like twdle,then get a pro and play the game where it really shines

#83 5 years ago

Both games are really fun!!! As a matter of fact all Pinball is fun.

#84 5 years ago

I think there are much less desirable Stern games out there than these two. I’ll take a one of the Game of Thrones that people don’t like.

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:Oh.
Yeah, twd started off bad code but became great.
Gotg started off nearly unplayable and got better, but will never be much beyond avg IMHO.
Also, if you like twdle,then get a pro and play the game where it really shines

I like GOTG more than IM, I think game is solid. Time will tell on this one.
I am not that good a player, I need the walker bombs on TWDLE!

#86 5 years ago

I agree with you 100%. Of course GB and GOTG look great, everyone will agree to that but when i look at my GOT i do not think damn this game is ugly. The cabinet art is kinda meh maybe but it fits the theme imo, but the playfield is just gorgeous i think.

#87 5 years ago

The honeymoon phase with IMDN is definitely lasting a long time.

Yep it sure is and theres a good reason for that, because IMDN pinball is totally awesome!!

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

thanks. I am super sensitive to flashing/strobbing of bright lights and this would be a big win.
Can the flashers be changed to regulars instead of LEDs? that would help also

Quoted from 85vett:

I believe with Spike the voltage is about the same so it may work.

I wouldn’t put incandescent bulbs in a spike game. I don’t know for sure if it would be a problem, but a blown node board isn’t worth the experiment. I’d double check the amps and volts before I do that. Incandescent bulbs are close to the same voltage, but they require more amps to light up. One or two bulbs might not be an issue, but it sounds risky to me.

Just remove the 2 flashers from the slings, their going to be the bulk of the issue.

#89 5 years ago

Well to add my 2c worth. Bought GOTLE to have a theme the wife liked. Turns out it’s one of my favourite games. Great shots, deep ruleset, great wizard modes good use of variety in multiballs. I even like the retina burning lightshow.
Keeps me coming back for one more game.

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I agree with you 100%. Of course GB and GOTG look great, everyone will agree to that but when i look at my GOT i do not think damn this game is ugly. The cabinet art is kinda meh maybe but it fits the theme imo, but the playfield is just gorgeous i think.

Thank God it's not just me. I love the GoT playfield art....can't for the life of me understand the complaints about it. The (pro) translight isn't bad either really. The cab...yea that's not great, but not terrible. I'd love to trade for LE cab art though!

#91 5 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

The cab...yea that's not great, but not terrible.

And as always I haven't seen the side of a game I own in a long time

3 months later
#92 5 years ago

Reviving an old thread here. Maybe thinking about grabbing a GOT Prem if one pops up at a good price. Not sure why all the criticism over it being too bright??? Correct me if I'm wrong, couldn't you just remove a couple of the flashers from the game? Or is there a reason why that would be difficult? Seems like that would solve the problem quick and easy.

#93 5 years ago

They have flashersduring certain times to distracts you, like a heavy snow, cause of the theme. Some peeps don't like this but could be easily changed.
One of the weirder complaints I've seen.

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

They have flashersduring certain times to distracts you, like a heavy snow, cause of the theme. Some peeps don't like this but could be easily changed.
One of the weirder complaints I've seen.

I see. So it's trying to blind you on purpose like you're in a snow storm and you can't see. Seems to me you could just remove one or two flashers and it wouldn't be a problem. Or are they welded to a board or something?

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I see. So it's trying to blind you on purpose like you're in a snow storm and you can't see. Seems to me you could just remove one or two flashers and it wouldn't be a problem. Or are they welded to a board or something?

Yea you could fix it in with altering the lights. Winter is coming lighting effect is bad ass though. It’s the black water multiball lighting that is horrendously blinding; however, there’s a setting to reduce that effect in the menu options and it’s much more appealing. My 2 cents.

Oh and fwiw; GOT is bad ass but it does have 2 major flaws: 1. the upper pf takes away an awesome stark ramp shot + it needs a better tie in to the ruleset and 2. There’s A huge exploitable scoring bug in the WHC + Wall multiball stack which is easy to attain on the pro, not so much on the prem. This bug can be fixed in settings but doing so gimps houses Baratheon and Stark which are 2 houses that shouldn’t be gimped any further.

Conclusion: game needs balance and polish.

#96 5 years ago

Seems to me you could just remove one or two flashers and it wouldn't be a problem. Or are they welded to a board or something?

Whether it's taking out a bulb or putting a piece of tape over an LED it's easily done. I never tried cause it's part of the game and a cool effect.

#97 5 years ago

Sounds like the game has very mixed reviews. I know my kids liked this one a few years ago when they played it.

#98 5 years ago

Sounds like the game has very mixed reviews.

It shares a lot of star wars in that respect. It was a hot theme, with a weird scoring system, that many people thought was under done in the toy department.
Got really takes hits in the art department which is super important round these parts for whatever reason.
Looked fine for me & plays great, but YMMV.

#99 5 years ago

If GoT is that unwanted, someone sell me one cheap please.

#100 5 years ago

Played it at the pinball hall of fame and was not impressed. For some reason I bought it about 7 months later. I’ve had it for a year now and it’s not going anywhere. I can’t speak about the premium, but the pro is a great game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.00
Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnt Cabins, PA
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-and-gotg-why-are-they-treated-as-an-unwanted-child/page/2?hl=rhaegal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.