(Topic ID: 176098)

Got an arcade game where the PBs affect the monitor?

By 4Max

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by 4Max
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I posted this on KLOV too, have not had anyone with same experience, so will try on this side of the fence.

I have just acquired an original Space Invaders upright arcade game. All works great. But I noticed that when someone else is playing one of my EM pinballs, faint vertical lines appear on the SI monitor for a split second when a solenoid fires.

All the machines are in my basement on the same circuit. I tried one of these:
    amazon.com link »

and it made no difference.

Even with just the SI and one PB switched on, the furthest one away (3 yards), it still has this affect.

I am wondering if this is damaging the monitor, because if not, I can live with it as its rare someone plays a PB when the SI is on.

But if it is, any thoughts on resolving?

Thanks.

#2 7 years ago

I had this happen too with CRT arcade cab next to pins.

How is the picture on the CRT? You might want to try a degaussing wand.

#3 7 years ago

During the video fad years, I often had video games that couldn't be next to one another because they caused interference to one of them.

I just moved them to a different spot.

LTG : )

#4 7 years ago

My centipede does it, it's the only one of 14 games that does it so I had to move it to a different group away from the pins.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

During the video fad years, I often had video games that couldn't be next to one another because they caused interference to one of them.
    I just moved them to a different spot.
    LTG : )

Ditto Lloyd. Cosmic forces at work. Sometimes best not to challenge them but work with them.

#6 7 years ago

So, I ran a long extension cable up to my living room and it fixes the issue - so seems its a "on the same circuit" thing rather than a "physical proximity" thing.

Someone on KLOV suggested I simply split the circuits in my basement.

"Simply" - for me that means calling an electrician as I'm not comfortable with that sort of voltage.

#7 7 years ago

You could try a power conditioner. It helps eliminate line noise.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

You could try a power conditioner. It helps eliminate line noise.

I already tried this
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DBAAJQ6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
    but made no difference - unless there's something out there that helps keep the power smooth from split second drops (which I assume is what's happening as the PB solenoids draw power) then I'm heading down the path of running multiple circuits to the basement.

#9 7 years ago

a standard AC EMI Line Filter wired into the power line of the SI will cure it.
    no real damage is occurring but it tends to be annoying
    like this one
    ebay.com link: Corcom 5VK1 F7139 RFI Power Line EMI Filter 5A 120 250V AC Quick Connect

or if used one is ok i am sure i have a few from my video days (free)

#10 7 years ago

on a side note are all of your games grounded?

#11 7 years ago

Dave, thanks for the offer - just checked the ebay link and given the price, I'm happy to buy new.

Grounded..let me check tonight. The SI definitely is as I had to replace the plug. The EM's, I'm not so sure, some I know are as I replaced the bad cord, but even then, I only ground onto the metal of the transformer mount and the door.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-an-arcade-game-where-the-pbs-affect-the-monitor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.