(Topic ID: 14330)

Got a very weird whitestar problem...(long)

By CadillacMusic

12 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by robertmee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I'm trying to get a Sega Harley Davidson up and running. It was broken when I joined up with the company. It had no display, and the playfield had been messed up. Bought a new playfield for it, and did a playfield switch. Dear lord, it took forever! I've got it mostly back together, playfield in the machine. I just needed to snap in the lamps to the correct location, and install the missing DMD.

I booted up the machine, no display in it. GI turns on, it plays the little song, I can even hear it go into PORTALS when I push the service button. All good. So I stick the DMD in, and pop the display board on top. Turn it on, and....nothing?

Hmm, F23 popped, that's strange. So I disconnected the DMD related stuff, replaced the fuse, and turned it on. It's fine. Through trial and error, I figured out that when I plug in the 5 volts to the display driver, it pops F23 and won't boot.

Well, good thing this Ripley's is right next to it, working fine. Lemme borrow it's DMD. Hmm. Same thing. Maybe borrow the Power board? Same thing. CPU board? Display power board? Display board? All the same thing. At this point, I literally have every single board from the RBION inside. Still doesn't work!

At this point, my boss says we need the RBION to go out on location. So I remove all the boards, and pop them back where they belong. The RBION boots up fine, plays fine, and is now happily working in a bar.

So it has to be something about the wiring. But I've traced the 5 volts line from the power board to the display board, and nothing is wrong with it. I'm stumped. I see one reference to a similar problem on RGP back in Feb., but it doesn't look like anyone solved it then, either. Any ideas? I'm desperate!

#2 12 years ago

Popped fuse like that can be from a bad bridge rectifier. I am not too familiar with stern though.

#3 12 years ago

Stern may have some ideas, give them a call during regular hours at 800 kickers

#4 12 years ago

F23 is on which board?

#5 12 years ago

On the power driver board...there is no other F23, is there?

#6 12 years ago

Odd for sure, but some things to consider:

1) Right size fuse for F23? Should be a 4A slo blo

2) F23 is between the BR21 and the 8VAC secondary on the transformer...Have you measured the AC voltage to BR21 to see if you are getting 8VAC....I doubt you swapped transformers so that's one device specific to the HD and not RBION parts.

3) Did you verify the game is jumpered for US voltages?

4) Connectors are keyed except for ribbon cables. Did you verify that all ribbon cables have the red strip to pin 1 on both ends?

#7 12 years ago

So the answer appears to be: the shaker motor. Because it shares a line with the 5 volts for the display. I guess I forgot that it existed, being so pre-occupied with rebuilding the playfield. But I unplugged it, and now everything works.

#8 12 years ago

That was my next guess

Thanks for the update

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.95
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-a-very-weird-whitestar-problemlong and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.