(Topic ID: 36415)

Got a TZ on the way. What are the essential mods I need to get?

By Triumvirat73

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Miguel351
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

As the title says. I have a TZ coming within the week and, based on the rudimentary searches I've done on the interwebs, I've noticed that there are mods-o-plenty for TZ's across the lands.

What I'd like to know is which mods would be considered "essential". ie. 9.4H game rom update, LED kit, etc.

I've noticed that there is some differing opinions on which LED kit is best (Cointaker super kit, or compiling your own kit) so any opinions on this would be great food for thought as well.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Cheers,
Greg

#2 11 years ago

Neither of those things are essential.

Gumballs
Gumball Light
Paino mod maybe
Powerfield Switch kit is really nice but not needed.

#3 11 years ago

Everything ...... I Miss mine . Skull , Plane , TV , Lamp Post , Clock Led's , Sooo many More

#4 11 years ago

How about using the search function as this thread has been repeated many times previously.

#5 11 years ago

Thanks Law & BR, I appreciate the input.

Quoted from extraballingtmc:

How about using the search function as this thread has been repeated many times previously.

I did use the search function and found more stuff about installing the mods but not opinions on what are the best mods. My apologies that having to spend 30 seconds reading my post, that was meant to be a fun exchange of opinions, was bothersome enough that you felt the need to flame me.

Anyways, the whole TZ experience is new to me so I was hoping to rely on some of you long time owners/collectors for your thoughts on what mods make the experience even better.

If this is, in fact, a topic that's been beaten to death please disregard and I'll dig through old threads and see if I can find more input there.

Thanks all.

#6 11 years ago

The inexpensive spiral mod has big impact - http://www.pinballdecals.com/TZ_SpiralDiverterModPage.html

and #1 - spend $300 and get invisiglass ...

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from matthewra:

The inexpensive spiral mod has big impact - http://www.pinballdecals.com/TZ_SpiralDiverterModPage.html
and #1 - spend $300 and get invisiglass ...

Fantastic! Thanks a bunch. I hadn't even seen that one before. Very cool. I'll definitely look into the invisiglass too.

Thanks again!

#8 11 years ago

Anyone do the third magnet mod know if its worth it?

#9 11 years ago

I was in your exact same boat last month. Got a completely unmodded TZ. Here is what I bought:

1. Piano, Camera and Diverter magnet from pinballpro ($130) -- these were the most essential to me.
2. Gumballs from pinballlife.com ($10) -- well, and these too.
3. Color changing door kit and chrome side mirrors from cointaker ($170) -- aesthetics
4. Greed, clock and slot decals from pinball decals inc ($40)-- I like these a lot
5. New powerball and custom powerball shooter rod from pinballlife.com ($47) (out of necessity. The old ones were bad)

Only thing I want to do now is the gumball light mod, and maybe the door flashers. There is a really cool rocket mod on eBay but its $155 and I'm completely spent!

#10 11 years ago

Thanks for the comprehensive breakdown drshaw!

That's what I'm talkin' about.

I'll definitely check out the sites you included.

#11 11 years ago

I bought Robby the Robot, the camera and the rocket ship for mine. Te robot is awesome but was $180 on sale. I need the piano.

1 week later
#12 11 years ago

I'd say do one at a time. The first and easiest one is the gumballs in the gumball machine. I used the plastic marbles from a chinese checkers game. These are the ones I bought and used:

http://www.quill.com/classic-games/cbs/220083.html

Free shipping, no tax(for me anyway, not sure about for BC). If you get just one, it'll fill up half the gumball machine to match the level of the pinballs in it(if you don't use the black gumballs). If you want to fill it up, then get two. Plus, these are a little bit smaller in diameter than the ones sold by most pinball supply places, allowing you to put more in, giving it more color. I also like these better because they ARE plastic and not glass. Real gumballs aren't super shiny and if the idea is to mimic real life, matte finish-like plastic is the way to go. Just make sure to count each of the colors out evenly otherwise you'll have uneven dispersal of colors in the gumball machine and it looks a bit odd.

After doing just the gumballs, I've decided against some of the other mods. The only other mods I'm considering right now are the piano and original TV version camera mod from pinballsmith(pinside name). He's currently working on the piano one and it should look fantastic, but I'm not sure about the camera one. I know he made the one that looks like the one on the playfield(and sold out of them on eBay already, too), but I'm waiting for the TV version.

I'm patient....

(mine already had the diverter magnet done, but it is a MUST do, too)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.50
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 14.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 132.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-a-tz-on-the-way-what-are-the-essential-mods-i-need-to-get and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.