(Topic ID: 33300)

Got a new job as a service tech for entertainment company, tool question.

By Celiac502

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Hey guys I got hired by a local operator outfit who has the norm coin op stuff.
    He is sending me through training after holidays and after that I will be on the service side I the business.

They have the normal coin op stuff, crains, boxers, jukeboxes, pool tables, table tops, pins, skee ball just to name a few.

My only real experience is with pins but they know that and are willing to train me on the other stuff. My question is to anyone that's in this field or has done it in the past, are their any special tools that I would need to tackle most issues in the wild.
    I have a ton of pin related tools, nut drivers, socket sets, drills, screwdrivers, solider irons, ect.
    So far they told me to have those and a outlet tester as well as a cat5 tester for testing networks.
    Are their any other tools that have made your life easier and noone would think about.
    I know I could just wait until I start and then see what suits me but my wife needs Xmas ideas and I'd like to use up my Xmas credit on tools for the job.
    Any ideas would be great and helpful.

As far as the cat5, I have seen them range from 5-15,000. Are any of you familiar with what they are talking about and were I can score a good one for under 50.00 bucks.
    P.S sorry for broken English, I am on my phone

#2 11 years ago

You have to provide your own tools and diagnostic equipment?

Let me guess, you also have to use your own car as transport.

Anywho, I have used something like this to test network cabling continuity and pinout.

TRENDnet Cable Tester 10/100 COAX and TP ( TC-NT2 )
    http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Cable-Tester-COAX-TC-NT2/dp/B0000AZK08/ref=sr_1_1

It's about 40 bucks.

RussM

#3 11 years ago

Nope company car, and phone, as far as tools go I'm not upset one bit, I'm the type of guy who finds excuses to buy new tools.
    Thanks for the link looks like a winner, do you have experience with this particular model?

#4 11 years ago

Oh I see your post says you've used it.

#5 11 years ago

I've never been an OP or a service tech, and I only service my own pins. So someone may chime in and say it's not necessary, but I absolutely LOVE my pocket oscilloscope for working on MPU issues.

It's a DS203, you can see more at:

I was using it before I was into pins. For me it doubles as a logic probe and a voltmeter a lot of times, but i also have a good DMM that I use.

I would also suggest a nice variety of quality test leads for your DMM. I imagine you will run into a myriad of pins, connectors, etc.. that you will need to test, and having the right test leads will make it so much easier/faster.

Again, i've never been responsible for servicing anything other than my own pins, so someone may tell you these are worthless suggestions.

#6 11 years ago

Now that's cool ^^^^

There's something out there that let's you use an iPhone/iPad as a scope, too. Not sure how good it is. Someone on pinside had a topic about it a while back.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from Celiac502:

excuses to buy new tools.

Yes, I love buying tools, only thing Ive ever rented was a 60ft JLG boom lift.

#8 11 years ago

A few thoughts.

You are pretty well covered with your pin tools.

Two sets of large allen wrenches, at least 10 inches T handle is nice, metric and regular.

I would get a big honking soldering iron in case you run into heavy stuff.

And not knowing what you have in tools and wrenches - consider larger sockets and wrenches, both American and Metric. I have 1/4 drive, 3/8 drive, and 1/2, the 1/2 inch up to 1 3/4". And a breaker bar.

A real good cordless drill and good bits.
    A set of roll pin punches. And a hunk of wood to pound stuff on. 2X4 with a V groove is nice.

A huge channel lock pliers, and a pipe wrench.
    Very large screw drivers - phillips and flat head. And a set of mixed driver bits for the odd ball screw heads.

The larger items you may only need once, but when you do, you'll be glad you had them.

Best wishes on your new job.
    LTG : )

#9 11 years ago

Good stuff, LTG.

I just picked up a nice set of t-handles at home depot (husky, free lifetime replacement if they break) for $10. Metric & SAE.

Seems like good quality. I'll probably croak before I break one of them.

#10 11 years ago

Get a Leatherman. It will be your tool of choice for 90+ percent of your problems.

#11 11 years ago

wow gratz on the new job! its nice to have a job that you like to do!

#12 11 years ago

A good worklight or flashlight. My mini Maglight AA flashlight with LED gets used constantly.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cruster:

Get a Leatherman. It will be your tool of choice for 90+ percent of your problems.

Especially if you are going to be running cable/messing with cat5. A leatherman type tool will save you a lot of trips up and down a ladder.

#14 11 years ago

Yeah +1 on the leatherman, that's the 3rd time I've heard a service tech say its a good idea.
    Thanks all for the wishes, I am very excited about it, I am leaving a 10year job (carpentry) to do something I've always loved, hopefully I'll still like it after I get home.
    I have most of the stuff Loyd says I might need.
    I guess I'll have to get a couple socket sets and some metric stuff, I wasn't thinking about metric.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from RussMyers:

You have to provide your own tools and diagnostic equipment?
    Let me guess, you also have to use your own car as transport.
    Anywho, I have used something like this to test network cabling continuity and pinout.
    TRENDnet Cable Tester 10/100 COAX and TP ( TC-NT2 )http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Cable-Tester-COAX-TC-NT2/dp/B0000AZK08/ref=sr_1_1
    It's about 40 bucks.
    RussM

When I got my job working for a route op (see my profile story), We were "given" a $5k car loan which was enough to buy a stripped GM X car. Any options/accessories were on your dime, cash or a separate car loan. You could buy and vehicle you wanted but had to make up the difference. One guy bought a Corvette, one had a full size Chevy Blazer, one had a Bronco, there were a few X Cars. I bought a VW Scirocco S. The deal was if you quit prior to the three year loan being paid, you were handed the payment book. The company paid for your gasoline(work use only, personal gas was your own) and insurance. This was a huge deal for an 18-19 year old punk kid.

We also had to provide our own hand tools because they experienced tons of *missing tools* prior to my employment there. They did offer up to a $500.00 interest free loan (payment was $7.50/week deducted from your paycheck) for new employee tools (this was 1979-80) once you hit six months of employment so as soon as I hit my six months using a cobbled up Sears Craftsman steel tool box I bought the Xcelite technician kit for $350.00 or so. Within a year I sold them to a new employee and bought the Jensen field engineer kit for $500.00 I was the only tech with all four Bally AID kits. I had a factory source though!

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from Celiac502:

Nope company car, and phone, as far as tools go I'm not upset one bit, I'm the type of guy who finds excuses to buy new tools.Thanks for the link looks like a winner, do you have experience with this particular model?

Good luck with the career change. I suggest PC repair skills if they have Incredible Technologies, AMI Network games & music systems as well as most driving games. That is the huge difference between when I made a career out of being a route operator technician back then and today.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-a-new-job-as-a-service-tech-for-entertainment-company-tool-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.