(Topic ID: 97260)

Got a game I have wanted for a long time...with story...

By LesManley

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Patofnaud
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

259731.jpg
!!popeye3.jpg
!!popeye2-288.jpg
!!popeye-191.jpg
!!popeye2.jpg
!!popeye.jpg
!!popeye3.jpg
!!popeye4.jpg
!!popeye2.jpg
!!popeye.jpg
#1 9 years ago

You never see these around. For the longest time I had never played one, let alone even seen one. It was the only modern game I had never played. Months ago I expressed my desire to play one and a local fellow pinhead jonogo pointed me to a little laundromat just a few minutes from my house that actually had one. I went over there and it was out of order...of course. I went on April 21st and it had an out of order sign on it dated February 15th. I waited another month and went back, out of order again with a new out of order sign that was dated June 6th. I figured, this thing can't be making them any money and most cost a fortune to fix. I looked for operator tags and there was nothing. There is a skill crane with an operator tag on it, so I called them and it wasn't their's, so I thought the laundromat must own it. It is an unmanned laundromat so there was no one to talk to, so I started calling their help number and leaving messages and filing out comments cards and putting them under the door as instructed, but no dice. Never got a response and I was going to keep trying, but I was discouraged. I told jonogo about my frustrations and he did some digging and found out that an "Emergency Number" that was posted there was actually the owner's cell phone. That was the one number I didn't try since even I couldn't justify a broken pinball machine as an emergency. Jonogo called, talked to the owner and asked about selling. The owner jumped at the chance to sell and we negotiated a nice price last week. Fast forward to today and the deal went down. I am now the proud owner of a working (he thankfully had the game fixed again before I bought it), but filthy Popeye.

People can think what they want about Popeye but the game is super difficult (something I want in a home game) and has a bunch of stuff going on. And for the price, it was a no-brainer. I can't wait to really battle the game. My almost 3 year old has been saying he wants to play "Papi" pinball again since we went and played it for the first time last week so he will be pumped. The second pic is of him playing it on route at the laundromat. This game is very underrated and the issues of the eco-friendly theme and hidden pops are so exaggerated. People are missing out IMHO. Oh well, I can guarantee I will have a blast with it. Toot, toot!

ONCE AGAIN, A HUGE THANK YOU TO JONOGO! This probably wouldn't have happened without him. The guy is good people, but I don't need to tell anyone around here that, they already know!

!!popeye.jpg!!popeye.jpg

!!popeye2.jpg!!popeye2.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Great story and under-rated pin.
Congrats!

#3 9 years ago

Nice story! Congrats!~SpOoKy

#4 9 years ago

Congrats man! It really doesn't matter that this game isn't the majorities favorite game, what matters is that you like it, and have finally found your unicorn. Not all of us can say that. I think thats awesome, and I hope it brings you and your family enjoyment for many years!

#5 9 years ago

I always thought Popeye was sorta underrated. Despite the toys being a bit faulty I enjoy the machine for its strategic, large ruleset, and theme. I'm surprised it didn't sell well, Popeye is somewhat of a nostalgic character.

#6 9 years ago

Freaking awesome, my man. I love these stories- thanks for sharing it. Something tells me that little guy doesn't really care what some guy in Cleveland thinks about Popeye. Love seeing the kids in awe... nice work sir!

#8 9 years ago

Good story and so much better than "look what I got" or "look at the bargain I got on Craigslist" posts. The fun is in the hunt!

#9 9 years ago

Very cool seeing the little guy playing! Good job!

#11 9 years ago

Your son is a pinside member for life!

Great story and Pics! Enjoy your new Game!

#12 9 years ago

Get in line Pal!

I'm MORE than happy to help the next generation of pinheads. Helps keep this hobby that I love going! Get the kids excited about it and it'll keep them playing. Very happy this worked out John and that I could help!

#13 9 years ago

Congrats! Never played or even seen a Popeye.

#14 9 years ago

great stuff! That Josh dude is a good feller.

I missed out on a Popeye for $1200 a little over a year ago. I had a deal all worked out but the seller wanted more when I went to pick it up. I stuck to the deal we had worked out in email and left without the game out of principle. Probably should have paid him a little more and took it home.

Enjoy the rare game.

2 weeks later
#15 9 years ago

Thought I would post some more pics of the progress on shopping out the Popeye. I have been staying up way too late the last few nights working on it. Here are some initial pics of how dirty the machine was. Literally ever bulb in the backbox was out, all the flashers worked though. All lane guide and pop bumper bulbs out too. She played but was filthy.

!!popeye3.jpg!!popeye3.jpg !!popeye4.jpg!!popeye4.jpg
#16 9 years ago

I didn't take a lot of before pics because they were so depressing. Anyway, I started tearing into it and breaking it down, adding leds, waxing the playfield, adding white rubber and colored post sleeves. There are lights working now that I bet haven't been lit in 15 years. It was coming along nicely. I couldn't find new white mini flippers for the upper playfield, so I pulled them and went to town on them with bleech white and a scotchbrite pad and they came out looking great. I also took apart the skill shot wheel and totally cleaned that. There are a couple of bulbs buried under it that you can only get to by removing the whole assembly, needless to say those were burnt out and it was terribly dirty in there. Cleaned all the boat plastics and all the other plastics. They were black with dirt, so even if the bulbs were working in most areas I am not sure you would have been able to see the light anyway.

!!popeye.jpg!!popeye.jpg
!!popeye2.jpg!!popeye2.jpg

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from jonogo:

I'm MORE than happy to help the next generation of pinheads. Helps keep this hobby that I love going

So how did you start the conversation when you called the emergency number?

#18 9 years ago

Got everything cleaned really well, bulbs and post sleeves replaced. White rubber in. Gave her a good waxing and started reassembling everything. Popeye is looking pretty good now. The cool white LEDs in the game go so well with the white boat plastics and white rubber. It's not all back together at this point, but it's amazing how good a game can look when all the lights actually work like they should.

!!popeye-191.jpg!!popeye-191.jpg
!!popeye2-288.jpg!!popeye2-288.jpg

#19 9 years ago

Here it is as it stands. Still not 100% finished. I have some more bulbs to replace and a couple of bugs to work out, but the game is back together and plays great as it is now. Night and day (literally as it was dark as night before) difference from what it was when I got it.

!!popeye3.jpg!!popeye3.jpg
#20 9 years ago

Great story. Congrats.

#21 9 years ago

You write really well for such a little guy. Congrats!

#22 9 years ago

Grats on a nice game. I have a similar game, Bugs Bunny. The rule set is about as deep as a kiddy pool, but it is just plain mindless simple fun pin to play. It gets more love by guests that most of my other machines. And it is pretty.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.50
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-a-game-i-have-wanted-for-a-long-timewith-story and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.