(Topic ID: 21740)

Gorgar with a relentless 1496 1 error (fixed)

By Deaconblooze

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by hwyhed
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

So, I picked this thing up hoping that it just needed a change of batteries. After I got it home, I tried the "fast flick" with the power, nothing.

I replaced the battery holder, because it seemed the corrosion had held to that. I didn't notice any corrosion under the holder, or on the back of the board. I again tried to reset the machine quickly, and still nothing.

Next, I replaced the 5101 ram chip. Still nothing. Hearing that boards can sometimes reject a chip (not sure where I read that), I bought a couple more to be sure. I also replaced the switching diode just above it. I'm getting 4.7v to the diode - and I actually ran some other tests between various pins on the 5101 and everything seems to check out. Is there anything I'm missing?

My next guess is the 40-pin

#2 11 years ago

Did you press the diagnostic button on the MPU?

viperrwk

#3 11 years ago

Note you have to have the coin door open to do the "quick flick" method.

Also check the battery voltage at the board, game off. say it's 4.5 volts DC. then check it just past the blocking diode on the board (you can follow the trace to that diode, it's the first component on the board after the "+" lead of the battery pack.) Should be 4.5 volts on one side, 4.0 volts on the other (if you get 4.5 volts on both sides of the diode, the diode is bad and must be replaced.) Now check the voltage at the 5101 RAM chip pin 22 (the last pin.) Again you should see 4.0 volts. If you don't, well, there's your problem....

#4 11 years ago

1496 is the game #, 1 indicates it's revision 1 of the software.

#5 11 years ago

Coin door open then off and on twice.

#6 11 years ago

It showing the game number is fine. Can you put it on free play mode?

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from slimmer:

Coin door open then off and on twice.

I do have the coin door open when trying to power trick.

Quoted from viperrwk:

Did you press the diagnostic button on the MPU?

viperrwk

The diagnostic button on the board only lights the two solid LED's.

Quoted from cfh:

Also check the battery voltage at the board. say it's 4.5 volts DC. then check it just past the blocking diode on the board (you can follow the trace to that diode, it's the first component on the board after the "+" lead of the battery pack.) Should be 4.5 volts on one side, 4.0 volts on the other (if you get 4.5 volts on both sides of the diode, the diode is bad and must be replaced.) Now check the voltage at the 5101 RAM chip pin 22 (the last pin.) Again you should see 4.0 volts. If you don't, well, there's your problem....

I checked the voltage, I'm getting 4.705v to the first side of the diode, and 4.255 when the game is off to the other side and pin 22. The reading when the game is on goes to 4.755 on both the far side of the diode and pin 22. Are those voltages acceptable?

Thanks for the help!

#8 11 years ago

check the voltage (game off) a pin 22 of the 5101 RAM. should be 4.2 volts

#9 11 years ago

That also reads 4.2 with the game off.

#10 11 years ago

If you're getting 4.2 volts at pin 22 of the 5101 ram, first check the coin door switch. using a meter, make sure it works. it could be that switch is bad. which would explain why you can't get pass the "audit code" boot up message. Either that or the 5101 RAM is bad. (but you replaced that, so this is less likely.)

#11 11 years ago

Check to make sure you didn't bend any pins when installing the RAM and also check the continuity on the socket with the board.

viperrwk

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

first check the coin door switch. using a meter, make sure it works. it could be that switch is bad. which would explain why you can't get pass the "audit code" boot up message

This was dead-on. It turns out someone had bypassed the switch entirely, after correcting this I was able to get past the audit code. Thanks for the help!

8 years later
#13 3 years ago

This just happened to me last night. After work 2day, I replaced the 3 aa batteries, then had to redo all the adjustments for the game. Turned it off, then back on..hit the credit button. GORGAR SPEAK
Old thread, but hope that it helps someone down the road

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-with-a-relentless-1496-1-error and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.