3A251487-DF2B-4E8B-A896-9D9FA5941AC7 (resized).png
0B8BE8C1-F629-4D93-8880-FB7F2152792A (resized).jpeg
FEB92C73-3D92-4B14-8BBF-4B0814125745 (resized).jpeg
F4E74765-875C-4C68-8996-7D6D7F2D4EEE (resized).jpeg
batterybefore (resized).jpg
connect1 (resized).jpg
connect2 (resized).jpg
batteriesbelow (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider njpinballfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

My Gorgar's battery compartment has been out of order due to battery corrosion for over 10 years. I purchased a new battery holder online years ago but never had the nerve to try and replace. A few weeks ago members of Pinside helped me fix other problems on my Gorgar (solenoid fuse blowing due to 40 pin was the big one) and it gave me the confidence to try and replace the battery compartment. I've seen videos where people use a lithium replacements or move the battery holder to the side behind the backglass. Tonight I un-soldered the bad battery holder and placed the new one I purchased on the board. None of the pins lined up with the holes in the board. I was not happy. Determined to fix this, I came up with a solution that I am really happy with and have never seen anyone do before. Instead keeping the battery holder behind the backglass I decided to solder 6 five-foot wires (3 black for neg, 3 red for positive) to the board and run them below the playfield. I soldered 6 one-foot wires (3 black for neg, 3 red for positive) to the new battery holder and matched them to the wires I ran from behind the backglass. I connected the wires (numbering each to make sure they all matched) using electrical tape (for now) and put new batteries in. The battery holder is now located right at the coin drop. For the first time in over a decade my Gorgar did not start in test mode! What I like best about this solution is I do not have to remove the backglass to replace the batteries in the future and if I ever forget to do so, battery corrosion will not leak on the board. I am going to replace the electrical tape with connectors so don't scream at me now See pictures below of my mod fix...

batteriesbelow (resized).jpgbatteriesbelow (resized).jpg

connect2 (resized).jpgconnect2 (resized).jpg

connect1 (resized).jpgconnect1 (resized).jpg

batterybefore (resized).jpgbatterybefore (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

I think you could do this with just two longer wires.
Just connect the batteries (in a series) at the holder, then run the negative lead to the upper right (-) and the positive lead to the lower left (+)

could have saved some wire, but hey got a deal from Radio Shack "going out of business" sale, so I'm okay with the extra $2.00 in expense. If my solder fails I will do this, thanks.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

????? You're right! never seen this one!
You can do this with only two wires and bridging the batteries together in a chain. BUT hey, if it works it works.

Thanks for the positive reply, not an expert here and really happy I was able to fix.

1 month later
#16 6 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

I definitely give OP credit here. It may not be a streamlined fix, but it works as intended. What i really give him credit for is having the cojones to put his logic to the test. It's a leap of faith sometimes when trying to repair something yourself, especially when you lack experience. This was a great chance for the OP to learn, and an even greater chance for the OP to get a taste of the excitement of successfully performing their own repairs. We all have to start somewhere. Some people refuse to try learning to work on their own stuff because they're afraid of screwing something up. Understandable! I know I've made mistakes, and will continue to. But that's unfortunately the only way to get experience, and to learn. Only those who are willing to take chances will get to experience the joy of a successful repair. Bravo, OP!

Thanks! Game is working great, and now changed all the backglass lights and some playfield with LEDs. It's never looked better.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider njpinballfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-williams-system-6-battery-holder-fix-you-never-seen-this-one?tu=njpinballfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.