DriverBoardBack.jpg
40Pin3.jpg
40Pin4.jpg
40Pin2.jpg
40Pin1-883.jpg
PowerSupply-547.JPG
Diagram.JPG
#1 9 years ago

This is my first solid state machine, so I thought I'd run through a battery of tests before turning it on to make sure I don't blow anything up. I disconnected everything from the power supply board except for the power coming from the transformer. I've done a voltage tests for all the pins on the power supply board, and I'm getting some higher than specified voltages on certain pins.

The manual says that 3J3-4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 (solenoids and flippers) should all read 28 volts. But my meter reports 41 volts for each of those pins. Also, 3J4-5 through 8 should read 18 volts, but they instead read at 21 volts.

It's possible that I'm testing these pins wrong, but other tests come up as they should, and I'm using the specified grounds for each of the pins that are giving me weird readings. Is there something that I could be missing to explain these higher-than-normal readings, or has a component failed somewhere?

Thanks!

UPDATE: I found a schematic online that says if 3J3-6 through 9 are "OV" (over voltage?) then fuse F2 might be blown. I used my DMM to take out and test the connectivity of that fuse and it won't beep. All the other fuses beep when taken out and tested, though. F2 is a 2.5 slow blow fuse, so maybe that's why it won't beep, but I don't think that's how they work.

The explanation for over-voltage on 3J4-5 through 8 is that F3 might be blown, but that one tests positive for connectivity when taken out and tested. So now I'm trying to figure out why that one shows 3 more volts than it should. Maybe that doesn't matter. I think 41 volts instead of 28 does, so I'm going to pick up a few 2.5A slow blow fuses from Home Depot tomorrow. We'll see where I'm at then.

#2 9 years ago

To be honest, almost every machine I've seen has the solenoids and flippers running in the mid to high 30v range at minimum. Yes they are marked at 28v on the schematic, but there is no regulation on them at any point. The power comes in from the wall, runs through the transformer, and heads out to the flippers.

It is possible that your transformer was jumpered for low wall voltage, since AC power back in the late 70's tended to run lower voltage than it does now. If that's the case, it definitely would juice up the flipper power a bit for sure.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

It is possible that your transformer was jumpered for low wall voltage, since AC power back in the late 70's tended to run lower voltage than it does now. If that's the case, it definitely would juice up the flipper power a bit for sure.

We'll see what replacing the sketchy F2 fuse does for the solenoid and flipper voltages. They're reading 41 right now, with or without the fuse in the clip. In theory, replacing that fuse will drop them down to somewhere close to 28 volts.

That leaves the lamp volatge, which is reading 21 instead of 18 volts. I think you can tell what voltage the transformer is jumpered for by the pinout of the one of the power connectors to the supply board. If the wall delivers 120V, and the thing is wired for (what it says is) 117V, would that cause the 3-volt spike in the lamps?

#4 9 years ago

OK, something is definitely going on. The manual I've been referring to this whole time is supposedly a wiring schematic for Williams System 6 power supplies. But this schematic's identifiers are different than the ones in the actual Gorgar manuals that I have. So let's start over. I'd start a new thread, but that's bad form.

AHEM.

I have a blue-covered Gorgar manual with a foldout diagram of all the different boards. Connector 3J3 is listed as "Solenoid Power". Pins 4 through 7 on 3J3 say +28V next to them. I'm assuming that means that when the system is powered on, those should read 28 volts, correct? If so, then something is wrong, because they're currently reading 41 volts. Every diagram in both the blue Gorgar manual and the second manual named "Solid State Flipper Maintenance Manual" say that these pins should read +28 volts. However, there's one table on page 20 of this second manual labeled "Typical Voltage Readings" that says that the "Solenoid Supply" should read 40 volts when reading from Fuse F2 to ground. That's more in line with reality, but I'm not sure which information I should relay on across both of these manuals.

The same issue applies to connector 3J4. This connector says that pins 4 through 8 on this connector should read +16V. However, the table in this second manual says that it should read +18 volts. In any case, these pins actually read 21 volts. The variation between 18 to 21 is close enough for me to write it off, but going from 16 to 21 seems like a larger jump. I have no idea what's going on.

I really don't want to turn this thing on until I can understand why these pins are reading higher voltage than listed in (some parts of) the manuals. In some cases, significantly higher voltage.

If anyone can provide any insight, then I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from UvulaBob:

I have a blue-covered Gorgar manual with a foldout diagram of all the different boards. Connector 3J3 is listed as "Solenoid Power". Pins 4 through 7 on 3J3 say +28V next to them. I'm assuming that means that when the system is powered on, those should read 28 volts, correct? If so, then something is wrong, because they're currently reading 41 volts. Every diagram in both the blue Gorgar manual and the second manual named "Solid State Flipper Maintenance Manual" say that these pins should read +28 volts. However, there's one table on page 20 of this second manual labeled "Typical Voltage Readings" that says that the "Solenoid Supply" should read 40 volts when reading from Fuse F2 to ground. That's more in line with reality, but I'm not sure which information I should relay on across both of these manuals.

The same issue applies to connector 3J4. This connector says that pins 4 through 8 on this connector should read +16V. However, the table in this second manual says that it should read +18 volts. In any case, these pins actually read 21 volts. The variation between 18 to 21 is close enough for me to write it off, but going from 16 to 21 seems like a larger jump. I have no idea what's going on.

I really don't want to turn this thing on until I can understand why these pins are reading higher voltage than listed in (some parts of) the manuals. In some cases, significantly higher voltage.

If anyone can provide any insight, then I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

The answer to your question was already provided above by HHaase. As he mentioned, they are unregulated voltage coming directly from the transformer. Therfore , it will vary from the manual printed exact value. If your voltage at the outlet is a bit high, those voltages on the transformer will be similarly higher than listed in manual. Finally, it's possible someone has "high-tapped" the transformer. The manufacturer has a method to compensate for low voltage situations in the field, and you can high-tap the transformer in that situation by changing a wire connection. When a transformer is high-tapped, output voltage is higher.

#6 9 years ago

Actually minor correction to the above where I said "directly from transformer". The voltage you are measuring is DC. Only AC comes out of the transformer. So the transformer steps it down to a lower voltage and then it's feed through a bridge rectifier to convert it to DC.

#7 9 years ago

I threw caution to the wind and plugged everything in. As was my fear, the 2.5A slow-blow fuse burned out after a pass-through or two of the solenoid test. Unless I'm completely mistaken about how electricity works, I can't help but feel that those pins reading 41 volts instead of 28 is the culprit.

I'll have to start familiarizing myself with how to do a systematic troubleshooting of the solenoid circuit. Maybe it's just a single shorted wire along the chain somewhere.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from UvulaBob:

I threw caution to the wind and plugged everything in. As was my fear, the 2.5A slow-blow fuse burned out after a pass-through or two of the solenoid test. Unless I'm completely mistaken about how electricity works, I can't help but feel that those pins reading 41 volts instead of 28 is the culprit.
I'll have to start familiarizing myself with how to do a systematic troubleshooting of the solenoid circuit. Maybe it's just a single shorted wire along the chain somewhere.

What coil number was the game on when the fuse blew? Which fuse blew, was it F2 solenoid fuse on the power supply?

If possible, get a 2.5 amp breaker from electronics parts store. Solder that to the blown fuse. Now you won't be buying fuses while you troubleshoot this issue.

It sounds like one of the coils in the game has a low ohm or completely shorted. The game blew the fuse in test mode. You may have also blown a transistor on the driver board.

You need to identify the bad coil. You should measure all of them with a voltmeter set to measure resistance or ohms. With the game turned off, check all coils under the playfield, under the apron, credit knocker, and coin lockout. Most likely you will find one or more coils which has a very ohm measurement or completely shorted closed (0 ohm).

#9 9 years ago

Also, don't power up the game and test the coils yet in test mode. First measure all those coils I mentioned. If any are measured as bad (very low resistance or shorted closed (0 ohm), they must be disconnected until replaced with good coils. Otherwise, you risk blowing transistors on the driver board.

Additionally, you will want to test the driver board because once the transistor is blown, it will cause the coil to lock on and burn. So the driver board transistors all need to be checked for shorts as well.

#10 9 years ago

My Mata Hari had a jammed (melted) Slingshot Kicker and blew the fuse and transistor on the brand new driver board before I could get it shut off. Break out the MM and ohm out the coils. those old machines are build like tanks. its going to be something simple.

#11 9 years ago

OK, I've tested every solenoid in the game, and all of them read 3 - 5 Ohms of resistance. That seems like a reasonable number, though I could be wrong. I also checked to see if my transformer was high-stepped to make up for low voltage, and it's not.

To re-state the issue I'm having: There are four pins that the diagram says should read +28V. Instead, they read +41V, regardless of whatever else is attached to the power supply board.

Plugging in the connector and running the solenoid test blows the F2 fuse, but since it's slow-blow, I'm not sure which solenoid is blowing it. I don't have a lot of these fuses, and I'd rather not burn through a bunch of them if I can avoid it. Buying a circuit breaker is an option, but it'd take a few days to get here and I feel like this problem is easily solvable with your help if I were better at stating the symptoms.

Here are some relevant pictures.

Diagram.JPGDiagram.JPG
PowerSupply-547.JPGPowerSupply-547.JPG

I'm pretty much out of ideas. I'm considering pulling the capacitors and varistor out of the circuit and testing them, but I'm not sure what that would prove - unless it demonstrates that one or more of those components is offering little to no resistance. That would explain the increase in voltage, no?

#12 9 years ago

OK, so I just put in another fuse and turned it on. The knocker solenoid in the cabinet energized right away. I turned the machine off right away when I saw that. I turned it on again and let it sit for a few seconds. Sure enough, the fuse blew and the coil de-energized.

Now, I'm not sure if this solenoid has always immediately energized right away like this or not. If so, then it must've stayed energized through the solenoid test I had run earlier. If not, then this is a new problem that I have introduced. In any case, it needs to be fixed.

I found that transistors Q40 and Q41 are responsible for the knocker solenoid. If turning on the machine causes this solenoid to immediately be engaged, then that probably means one or both of these transistors are in a permanently open status, which means they need to be replaced, right?

#13 9 years ago

When coils immediately energize on sys3-7, it's often the 40 pin connector.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

When coils immediately energize on sys3-7, it's often the 40 pin connector.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6

I did some quick testing, and sure enough, transistor Q41 had some weird readings. With the black lead touching the middle, one side read .5V and the other side read .1V. All of the other TIP120 transistors on the board read .5V on both sides when tested in the same way. So, I think a replacement transistor is on the menu, at the very least.

On top of that, you're saying that I should replace the 40-pin interboard connector (2P1) at the top of the board? Do you think that's going to solve my high voltage problem, or is that even a problem? It seems like it would be a problem, but I'm still new to this. Why have a rating on the schematic at all if it's OK to exceed it by almost half again?

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from UvulaBob:

On top of that, you're saying that I should replace the 40-pin interboard connector (2P1) at the top of the board?

No sys3-7 can ever run reliably until the 40 pin is replaced.

Those old connectors were rated for 15 cycles, and you may have already put 15 removals on it all by yourself.

Quoted from UvulaBob:

TIP120 transistors ont he board read .5V on both sides when tested in the same way. So, I think a replacement transistor is on the menu, at the very least.

Replace it with a TIP102 (a much heavier duty transistor) and replace the little 2N4401 pre-driver transistor behind it (these often get stressed when the TIP blows).

#16 9 years ago

Replace the bad Q41 transistor.
The high reading can be normal.
You said the transformer is wired for 117V and you have 120V from the wall.
See if you can wire the transformer to a higher voltage.
There is a mentioning in the manual about this.
Download this Fire Power manual for nice schematics if you don't have them.
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/856/Williams_1980_Firepower_Schematics_paginated_from_manual_dated_March_1980.pdf

It would also be a good idea to use my Bridge Board to replace the bridge rectifiers in the back box.
Take a look on my website www.inkochnito.nl for more information.
Click on the Bridge Board image.

Replacing the 40 pins connector wil not solve the high voltage problem.
It will solve other possible future problems.

Peter

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

No sys3-7 can ever run reliably until the 40 pin is replaced.

Fortunately, it looks like someone has already done this for me. Every single connection point looks to be in good shape. No corrosion, and the tension appears to be the same in each spot.

40Pin1-883.jpg40Pin1-883.jpg
40Pin2.jpg40Pin2.jpg
40Pin3.jpg40Pin3.jpg
40Pin4.jpg40Pin4.jpg

#18 9 years ago

Looks good.

I always put the date of replacement on them so the next service guy knows it's been done.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

You said the transformer is wired for 117V and you have 120V from the wall.
See if you can wire the transformer to a higher voltage.
There is a mentioning in the manual about this.

You're thinking about "stepping up" the transformer to make up for low voltage (105V or 210V) from the wall. I've checked, and the transformer is wired to accept 117V (as listed on the cabinet and in the manual) as opposed to 105V or 220V. Those three voltages are the only three options available unless we want to add or remove coils to the transformer directly.

#20 9 years ago

If anyone reading this has a System 6, can you do me a favor and measure the output voltage for 3J3, pins 4 though 8 with nothing else connected to the power supply board but the two power inputs?

I still haven't found a good explanation for why those pins are reading 41 volts instead of 28, like the schematic says they should be. If a solenoid is drawing power from a line it expects to be at 28 volts, then it's going to draw tons more current and blow the fuse, isn't it? could that be that why fuse F2 is slow-blow - in order to account for minor variations in voltage? If so, then a constant 46% more voltage on the line certainly can't be good, can it?

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from UvulaBob:

If anyone reading this has a System 6, can you do me a favor and measure the output voltage for 3J3, pins 4 though 8 with nothing else connected to the power supply board but the two power inputs?
I still haven't found a good explanation for why those pins are reading 41 volts instead of 28, like the schematic says they should be. If a solenoid is drawing power from a line it expects to be at 28 volts, then it's going to draw tons more current and blow the fuse, isn't it? could that be that why fuse F2 is slow-blow - in order to account for minor variations in voltage? If so, then a constant 46% more voltage on the line certainly can't be good, can it?

I'll try check these voltages in my Firepower for you next time I am in the backbox.

To me, with no load, it doesn't seem like a cause for concern.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Spybryon:

To me, with no load, it doesn't seem like a cause for concern.

I can understand why it wouldn't be a cause for concern since the current doesn't pass through any sensitive electronics. Those pins ultimately end up delivering power to the solenoids, though. Something non-mechanical has to act as a "gate" for that power. Are those "gates" the TIP120 transistors?

I have no idea what I'm doing. I deeply regret my purchase.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from UvulaBob:

Are those "gates" the TIP120 transistors?

I have no idea what I'm doing. I deeply regret my purchase.

The transistors provide the path to ground when the CPU wants to fire those coils. So yes they are "gates" for the current flowing through the coils.

Don't worry you will get this pin working and hopefully have fun in the process. There's lots of good help on here to get your game going again.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Spybryon:

they are "gates" for the current flowing through the coils.

Hmmm. So if current is flowing through these transistors, and the current has 41 volts of power behind it instead of 28, why wouldn't that be an issue?

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from UvulaBob:

Hmmm. So if current is flowing through these transistors, and the current has 41 volts of power behind it instead of 28, why wouldn't that be an issue?

It has 41 volts DC at no load. When the coil actually fires, that 41volts DC drops down a bit . Also, current flow is limited by the coil itself. Keep in mind the coil has some resistance too. The coil fires momentarily and circuit is designed to handle that momentary current load.

#26 9 years ago

When the schematic says +28V to the solenoids, is that more of a "you need at least this much voltage in order for the solenoid to fire effectively"? If so, then is the upper limit this hazy thing that nobody really pays much attention to? How high is too high?

#27 9 years ago

If it reads over 55v, that's too high.

#28 9 years ago

I was poking around looking for the specs on a TPI120 NPN transistor, and it looks like the absolute max voltage rating is 60V, which seems in line with what you're saying.

I'll replace this transistor, plug everything back in and see what happens. If I'm able to turn the machine on without anything energizing, then I'll call that a small victory. The next step will be another pass through the solenoid test to see if the fuse blows again. I'm not sure how else to diagnose the problem otherwise.

#29 9 years ago

Also, here's the back of my driver board. The Bad Transistor is the one I'm going to replace tonight.

Also, notice that there are a few areas with some of the green covering missing. Normally, I would think that this is bad, but it appears that the light-green areas are pretty much metal and are thus all interconnected. This is opposed to the dark-green stuff, which I assume is the non-conductive substrate. There are several spots on the board where non-messed-up light-green covering runs right into the metal on the outside of the board, so that is presumably OK, right? I'm not sure what to make of this.

DriverBoardBack.jpgDriverBoardBack.jpg

#30 9 years ago

I got home and replaced the bad transistor and plugged everything back in. Powered the machine on, and the replay coil stayed blissfully unfired. I let it sit for a while with no blown fuses. Great! So I fired up the solenoid test. It ran through about one and a half times before the fuse blew. I can't tell which number it failed on because it failed during the sound check, and the fuse is slow-blow.

I replaced the fuse and powered the machine back on. The replay coil is now staying fired on power-on again and transistor Q40 is shot once more. What I believe are the Collector and Emitters are showing voltage in both directions whereas other transistors in the board aren't.

I looked closely at the replay solenoid and the only thing that looks odd to me is the diode that goes across the two leads:

photo 2.JPGphoto 2.JPG

It's hard to see with the naked eye, but with the iPhone camera, it certainly looks like that diode is fried. I'd test it, but I don't know what's normal for it when it's still in series, since the voltages are all over the place no matter which leads are on which ends - and that's constant for all the diodes in all the coils on the playfield.

I'm going to replace this diode and transistor Q40 again. If that doesn't work, then I think I'm going to give up and see if anyone's interested in a non-functional Gorgar that I paid too much for.

#31 9 years ago

that diode looks WAY blown. That's the first part I ever bought when I got my first machine. Replace the diode and the transistor. Since you have to desolder the coil anyway....don't solder it back in right away and fire that bad boy up without it. Just tape off each of the leads so you don't get a short. If it's that coil, you should be able to run the test without bkowing the fuse. Hell, my machine didn't have a knocker when I got it. I was running a coil test and was only half paying attention and there was a double long pause between coil fires. Took a look and no knocker assembly at all in tha machine, just 2 wires taped off.

I don't have a Williams but the basics should be the same. When I first started I just changed everything in the chain. I'm pretty good at soldering. So it was faster to replace $3 in electronic parts and have everything working again.

As far as the board is concerned, I have a light board that has the same thing going on and it's been fine for 3 years. Just keep and eye in it and as long as the board isn't bulging to the point of shorting against anything it should be fine. If your really worried what your looking for is called solder mask. It's the green stuff thats flaking off. In a pinch you can also use nail polish as long as it's non metallic. I use clear just to make sure.

Quoted from UvulaBob:

If that doesn't work, then I think I'm going to give up and see if anyone's interested in a non-functional Gorgar that I paid too much for.

Please don't. I believe everyone here have a ton of horror stories about that first machine and just what a pain it was. I still have mine and she is an unforgiving bitch! . No really, you will get it figured out and the more you read the faster and easier it is to fix them. I have had my Mata Hari machine for 3 years now and I just got all the. Light working finally last night. It was the best feeling in the world, and now I have a machine with all the lights working.

You will get there it just takes a bit. I'm sure you didn't know everything about your car or your computer when you got it either. Just look at all the little things you know or do for them now. Same thing for your pinball.

#32 9 years ago

BTW. told you coil. :p

#33 9 years ago

The missing green solder mask is perfectly fine. All the driver boards I have ever worked on looked like that, and that has been more than a few boards passing through here.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Tallon:

BTW. told you coil. :p

So you did! I owe you a Coke.

#35 9 years ago

41VDC is just fine. Your newly replaced transistor blew because of the bad diode and probably overheated coil. I would suggest replacing the coil and transistor again. Replacing the diode only is not really a good idea because the coil has likely overheated, numerous times. You can confirm if this is the only trouble spot by disconnecting the knocker coil and chances are good that you can play a game and find out what other issues you may have.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from Tallon:

UvulaBob said:

If that doesn't work, then I think I'm going to give up and see if anyone's interested in a non-functional Gorgar that I paid too much for.
--
Please don't.

Agreed - you may not see it from inside the storm but you're making great progress on this and finding that fried diode may be the final piece to getting it working.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

41VDC is just fine. Your newly replaced transistor blew because of the bad diode and probably overheated coil. I would suggest replacing the coil and transistor again. Replacing the diode only is not really a good idea because the coil has likely overheated, numerous times. You can confirm if this is the only trouble spot by disconnecting the knocker coil and chances are good that you can play a game and find out what other issues you may have.

I'll check the coil when I replace the diode. If I can easily slide the sleeve in and out and the wrapper doesn't look burned, then I'll stick with the diode, I think.

#38 9 years ago

Again. best diagnostic right now from the info we have is to pull the coil see if the machine runs and holds. if it does then the diode was more then likely the problem. If the coil got hot enough to blow the diode then more then likely its shot. It will probably test fine but could end up with intermittent problems.

#39 9 years ago

Gentlemen, we have made a success!

I put a new Q40 transistor in, pulled out the replay coil and ran through the solenoid test four times with no issues.
I replaced the diode on the coil and put it back into the circuit. (As a side note, I hate soldering wires to coil lugs. Is there an easy way to do it?)

After that, I ran through the solenoid test a few more times and had no more issues. So with that, I think we can call this issue resolved.

I'll be starting a new thread with some other issues I've run into, such as Gorgar only partially speaking (like only saying GOT when the ball goes into The Pit) as well as a screeching noise mixed in whenever he says SPEAKS, YOU, GOT, and ME. I also think the G in the GAR drop target doesn't always fully register when it gets hit, though it always drops down. And I need to replace a couple of the 1-2-3-4 targets, as the rivets on them broke.

But with the solenoid issue resolved, I can definitely rest a bit easier knowing there's not any kind of unsolvable failure with my game. Thanks for your help, everyone!

#40 9 years ago

You still owe me a coke. Congratulations on the fix. Told you you would do it. Solder gun works best for the lugs as there is a ton of metal there and if you use a wedge tip it will penetrate faster with a gun. That's pretty much the on,y thing I use the gun for though. Drop targets are probably just a switch adjustment on the bank. Easy fix, bend a wire. The sound chips I can't help with. I just got my first talking machine 2 weeks ago. Good luck and happy pinning!

#41 9 years ago

well done and congrats!

#42 9 years ago

Some things are easy to find.
You just need to know what to look for.
Take the drop target assy. apart and clean all parts and check for wear.
Put it back together again and test.....

#43 9 years ago

Good job!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-voltage-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.