Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by r6emperor
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Replaced the bridge, 7805, all of the caps and all of the sockets. Sounds work just fine, but there is no speech during gameplay. It does work when I press the test button on the board and it plays all of the sounds then all 7 words. I tried the dip switches in all 4 possible configurations, just to be sure, and double checked the jumper positions according to the manual and Leon's repair page

Any ideas where to go to next? I can try jumping the inputs to ground, but I haven't been able to find a list of what combinations equal what sounds

Thanks

#2 10 years ago

You can try solenoid test, some of the solenoid tests will trigger some speech. If during solenoid test, one of the sound triggers fails to make noise, you can start to assume there is likely and input or sound board PIA problem.

Check all your inputs inputs at the connector and after the 4050 buffers. Those buffer chips do go bad often enough. Remember one input is silence all sound... so don't get tricked by that one too.

#3 10 years ago

I've done the solenoid test before, but 9-13 only produce sounds, no speech. I'm guessing that the speech calls are made by a combination of inputs. I also hooked up an LED to each of the inputs and 5v to check the input signal, and I got flashes for each one. Also tried during gameplay and got a whole bunch of flashes. I'm pretty confident its getting good input and its on the sound board itself

I did try the Leon test ROM, and all outputs were pulsing on the PIA and paused for a second then restarted pulsing when the test switch was pressed.

I will have to investigate the buffer chips. I'm at work now so it'll have to wait til tomorrow

Thanks

#4 10 years ago

The buffer chip will be hooked up to +5v and ground. The buffers inputs will be the same as the outputs. So as you watch the input on the connector pin change. The output on the buffer should be identical. High to high, low to low. If a buffer ouput is stuck high, low, or float, regardless of the input, than it is bad.

If all the inputs are good, the buffers are good, the dip switches on the sound board are good, you get speech from the sound board diag button, and yet there is NO speech in normal game play, then it is time to replace the sound board PIA.

I think leon made a test rom for the sound board if you want to try and make sure the PIA is bad before replacing.

#5 10 years ago

I never made it to the garage to test the buffers today. I have already done the test ROM and everything looked good on the outputs of the PIA.

I should make it over tomorrow morning so I'll let you know what I find

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-speech-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.