Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3732.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I picked up a Gorgar last week, and it's got some issues I can't figure out.
It's got a Rottendog MPU327 installed, but it's acting pretty strange.
It always starts up in the audit mode, but I can get through it by powering off and on real quick, but it won't save any settings I change.
The sounds work fine during the game, and Gorgar speaks fine if I hit the sound board test button, but he never speaks at any other point. I'm wondering if it's a speech board issue? I tried cleaning the speech roms and putting them back, but that didn't change anything. The 1 and 2 switches are both on and the balance knob is in the middle. Does anyone have any ideas?

#2 8 years ago

I'm having another weird issue that I thought I fixed with the displays. I've got a missing bottom row on players 1 & 2 and the driver board display. After looking at it I saw a burnt out resistor, replaced it, and it was working fine for about 2 minutes until it burnt out again. Seems every resistor I put on the board ends up frying. Could it be a power supply issue? I've got a Rottendog WPS346 installed along with the MPU327.

#3 8 years ago

Does the rottendog have a battery pack for the ram? Could need batteries to not boot into audit.

As for speech I know my pia went bad on my speech board so it would test OK but not work in game

#4 8 years ago

The only battery I see for the rottendog board is a coin battery slot. I'm going to try replacing it and seeing what happens. I'll check the pia later and see if that leads to anything.

#5 8 years ago

Replacing the lithium battery on the board solved the 1496 issue and the memory issue. Now just to get to the bottom of the speech and display issues. I wouldn't be opposed to getting newer boards for both, I'd just like to figure out if it's necessary or not...

#6 8 years ago

Your speech board it probably fine if it self-tests and you hear speech. At least the mixer section and your speech clock and whatnot is working right. I'd check the connection between the MPU and it. On the original sound board, there is a jumper wire to enable speech or not, just make sure that is how it is supposed to be. Check to see if the Rotten Dog has any special settings/requirement for Gorgar. What this game doing this prior to you picking it up?

As for your displays, it is probably drawing too much, so it keeps burning up that resistor. So you have a shorted component somewhere. What resistor # on the master display keeps burning?

When I finally have all my debt paid off, this is going to be the next game I pick up, preferably a project.

#7 8 years ago

I didn't have much info on it before driving out there, he told me the speech was intermittent but hasn't talked in a bit. I did notice he had the sound toggle off, so I turned that on and I get the heartbeat and the other sounds, just no speech. I'll check the MPU connections. I tried looking for any info on jumpers/settings for the RottenDog board online but I came up empty handed.

As for the display driver, it was the 4th resistor, I clipped it off and unplugged the board as soon as it started burning.

IMG_3732.jpgIMG_3732.jpg

#8 8 years ago

So R4. 10k 1/2 W is the one that is frying. IC9, UDN-7180, is the segment driver IC. It is probably shorted on that line.

Your Zener, ZR1 is also roached looking. Poke at it, if it is flaky or seems like it is gonna break apart, replace it. 1N4740 is the part #, 10v Zener @ 1w. I'd replace that anyway, then replace IC9, then replace R4 with a new 10k @ 1/2w and you should be in business.

#9 8 years ago

It could also be a shorted display glass.

#10 8 years ago

For the display issue, are you replacing with 1/2 watt resistors? 1/4 watt resistors will burn out quickly.

If you are using 1/2 watt, I agree with John, could be a shorted display glass overloading the circuit. Replace the reisistor and unplug player 1 and 2 display and turn on the machine. In this condition, only the master display glass will be in the circuit. If the resistor holds, turn off the machine and plug in player 1 glass and test again. If that holds turn the machine off, unplug player 1 and plug in player 2 and test again. Using this method, you should be able to determine which glass is causing your problems.

#11 8 years ago

On the sound issue, if the board plays sound and speech in test mode, you can rule out the ROMs and the mixer pot, etc.

Sw1 and 2 ON seems correct. Have you checked what sounds you get in Solenoid test mode?

#12 8 years ago

Haven't had much time to mess around with it this weekend, but I'll try what you've suggested. In the solenoid test I was able to get all system sounds but no speech. I don't think speech is part of the test though, as I couldn't find it in the diagnosis chart.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-speech-issues-booting-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.