(Topic ID: 173767)

Gorgar Speech, Coil and Heartbeat Repair Help Needed!

By Trainman15148

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Schwaggs
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Trainman15148.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I have a semi working Gorgar to go with my semi pinball repair capability. It is my only system 6 game and I'm not overly familiar with it. I have three issues: 1) it does not talk during gameplay. 2) there is no heartbeat and 3) the right slingshot coil stay on.

I have done the following: confirmed that the speech does work (it passes the diagnostic - I get eight sounds and all of the speech). I confirmed that the dip switchis set correctly and that the dip switch is passing current as it should (2 is set to on). With respect to the coil issue, it came with a wire cut to the coil. I reattached it and know know why it was cut. The switches seem to be okay. I have read that a blown transistor could be the cause but I am not sure which one or how to test it.

I really have no idea what to do next on any of these issues and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

#3 7 years ago

The speech and heartbeat returned then went away. I checked q10 and the circuit seems to be doing what it is supposed to do but I'm not 100 percent sure on that. The transistors appear to check out with my multimeter. I disconnected J13 to make sure the driver board was the issue and the right sling is still stuck on, so I am deducing that the playfield mechanics are okay and the signal to fire is being generated on the driver board. Not sure if one of the ICs is the culprit or not. IC9 seems to be the controlling factor here but all of the solenoid a work except for the right sling and IC9 operates two coils. I think the other one is the top pop bumper but is works fine. It doesn't seem logical that I could blow half a chip. I will play with the connector on J9 tomorrow and see if the speech comes back. It had come back on its own and when I took the driver board out to check the transistors, it stopped working again. It seems to play sounds instead of the speech. I didn't touch the sound board itself and it still passes the sound self test so I'm guessing the gremlin is the connector. Still need help on troubleshooting the right sling coil issue. Thanks so much for the assistance!

#5 7 years ago

Unfortunately, I don't have a logic probe - just a digital MM. I used to have one but cannot find it. The heartbeat and the speech are missing. The other sounds seem to work and the odd thing is that the game chirps on startup instead of saying "Gorgar Speaks". It's like it's playing the wrong sounds or something. When I first got it, I had this issue, then it started working and now it's back to not working. I have wiggled each wire on both ends (driver and sound board) to no avail. Concerning the coil, it only locks up when a game is started. Otherwise it's fine. It would seem that when a new game is started, some malfunction on the driver board is causing the driver logic to receive a closed switch signal. Perplexing and frustrating. I feel like I'm close to a solution but just can't get there yet. Many thanks for your continued assistance! I'll have to investigate getting a logic probe if that's what I need to do.

#6 7 years ago

I might have the heartbeat and speech issue resolved. It turns out that Q39 was loose on the driver board and the base and its associated connector didn't have good continuity. I wiggled Q39 and it started working again. I'll need to resolder the connection and I think I might be good to go. Still need to figure out the coil issue. I also have one digit (second from left) on the player one display that is unreadable (excessively bright). Any thoughts on that would be appreciated as well!

#8 7 years ago

Pin 11 tests out at 0.11V, pin 12 is 5.09 and pin 13 is 0.79 with the game started and J13 disconnected. Was really hoping for a different result!

#10 7 years ago

For IC 6:

Pin 4: 5.06V
Pin 5: 5.09V
Pin 6: 4.50V

In re-confirmed the IC7 voltages listed above and they are correct readings. Many thanks again for your help!

#12 7 years ago

I think it goes to pin 39 on IC 5 (solenoid PIA). Hoping it don't have to replace it because that will be a pain. Not sure what the input logic is on that chip. Everything else seems to work except for this stinking coil!

#14 7 years ago

Hmmm. Since ST6 is not used, I wonder if I could reroute the trigger and the output from ST5 through ST6? It would definitely prove the issue while I wait for the parts. I think I could just make the swap at the Molex connectors. Basically swapping 10 with 9, 16 with 15 and 22 with 23 on 8J3. Assuming drive 6 works, the right sling should start behaving properly. Am I missing something?

#16 7 years ago

I got the pin numbers from the solenoid schematic in the back of the manual. I was thinking about making the changes in the Molex interconnect between the playfield and the driver board but it may not matter as long as the pins I need to use on the driver board aren't keyed. In any event I think there should be three changes but maybe I'm wrong. Was just hoping I could get this thing working over the weekend. Again, many thanks for your help!

#17 7 years ago

Thinking 2J11 pins 2 and 3 should be swapped.

#18 7 years ago

So I swapped pins 8 and 9 on J12 and J13 and the right sling started working so I'm pretty happy. I couldn't rationalize changing pins 2 and 3 on J11 so I let them be. In any event, my wife can now play Gorgar today and that's what matters. Thank you very much for all of your help. I couldn't have gotten this done without your kind assistance.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Trainman15148.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-speech-coil-and-heartbeat-repair-help-needed?tu=Trainman15148 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.