You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hhh (resized).jpg
IMG_20201221_110650.jpg
IMG_20201221_092458.jpg
#1 3 years ago

My buddy picked up a Gorgar a couple months ago and it was working fine until recently when the sound stopped working. In troubleshooting, here's what they've found:

Solenoid test produces no sounds when 9-13 are triggered.

Pressing test button on sound board will begin making sounds, though speech is sometimes rather static-y. Wiggling ribbon cable between sound and speech boards seems to cause sound and speech to cut in/out and makes the static come and go.

Driver board connector for sound triggers has a new male and female connector installed.

I got the board from him to try to diagnose further at home. Can i test the Gorgar sound boards in my Black Knight?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Can i test the Gorgar sound boards in my Black Knight?

Yes you can obviously sounds won't be right, but at least you'll know the inputs work.

#3 3 years ago

Good to know! Just wasn't sure if there was any conflicts using the same sound board between a system 6 game and system 7 game, or if it needed any jumpers run or removed etc.

I'll try it in my BK later and report back with more info. One thing i caught so far, this 1000uf cap looks like it's been leaking, perhaps? No residue on the board, it appears self-contained. For all i know, that could be normal appearance for these caps. I'll be changing it, but I'm curious if that would contribute to any of the problems I'm having. I'll test it with my cap tester once i pull it out, too.

IMG_20201221_092458.jpgIMG_20201221_092458.jpg
#4 3 years ago

Replace all caps with kit from Big Daddy Enterprises.

#5 3 years ago

Doesn't look normal. It's one of the filter caps for the power supply.

#6 3 years ago

While we're talking caps, i noticed the sound board has the big cap on the lower-right replaced already, with a 4700uf cap. Looking at the schematic, it calls for a it 12,000uf cap. Which is correct?

IMG_20201221_110650.jpgIMG_20201221_110650.jpg
#7 3 years ago

Both are IIRC they changed it midway.

#8 3 years ago

What do you have going on here?

hhh (resized).jpghhh (resized).jpg
#9 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

What do you have going on here?

Its factory on earlier revisions of these boards. This cap is used for debouncing of the testswitch.

#10 3 years ago

Thanks for the insight, @MarAlb, @Jjsmooth, and @slochar--and good eye @grumpy!

I went ahead and put the Gorgar sound board in my Black Knight and got no sound in the coil test though everything else still works fine. Test button on the sound board did not cause any sounds or speech. So the game is silent with the Gorgar board installed as-is. I'll check voltages at the board next and see what's shaking there. Next step will be to replace the caps on the board. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

#11 3 years ago

The solenoid test won't activate it you use the sound test or just play.

#12 3 years ago

Just tried it in gameplay, sound test, and tried the test button on the sound board--still no sound at all. Twisted the volume pot in the cab back and forth, still nothing. Also tried sound/speech mixer pot and nothing there either.

I checked voltages at the test points on the sound board, here's what i have:

TP1 12.9 VDC
TP2 -14.1 VDC
TP3 ground
TP4 5.08 VDC

Voltages all appear to be in spec, and i triple-checked my connectors to be sure everything's hooked up correctly. I'll try putting my BK sound board back in and verify that it's still working to rule out anything else.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Wiggling ribbon cable between sound and speech boards seems to cause sound and speech to cut in/out and makes the static come and go.

Quoted from frunch:

Just tried it in gameplay, sound test, and tried the test button on the sound board--still no sound at all.

Not understanding here. Did you get 'some' sounds when you were wiggling the ribbon cable?

If yes, have you tried reversing the ribbon or using a different one?

#14 3 years ago

Sorry--to clarify: since installing the Gorgar sound board in my BK for testing, it has so far produced no sounds at all.

#15 3 years ago

A few things worth to inspect/try..... 1) check for SCANBE IC sockets and if these are applied remove them and install new IC sockets. 2) There is a AMI branded 6808 CPU installed. These are always suspect, try another 6808 or 6802 processor. 3) Re-install jumper W1 on the soundboard and try to run it without the speechboard.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

2) There is a AMI branded 6808 CPU installed. These are always suspect, try another 6808 or 6802 processor.

THANK YOU, @MarAlb!

I decided to try swapping the 6808 from another sound board i had laying around for parts (a Motorola chip, at that)... and we now have sound and speech, and it's clear too.

I've gotta say, Black Knight is actually kinda cool with Gorgar sounds

I'm gonna go ahead and replace those bad looking caps (there's actually 3 of those silver caps on the board and they're all showing that brown stuff coming out the ends). I'll get the board to my buddy asap and have him try it out.

I'll report back with a final update when it's working in his game (hopefully!)

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in here!

#17 3 years ago

Just to bring this to a conclusion: Gorgar's sound and speech is now working properly in my buddy's game since replacing the 6808. Thanks again for the help everyone!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-sound-problem?hl=pincoder and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.