Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by msadan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Weird problem on a Gorgar I just picked up. When it's powered up it acts like it's in audit mode but just continually rapidly scrolls through the audits. The credit / ball display shows 04 in the left display, the right one scrolls from 1 through 35 (I think), while the player 1 display scrolls through the corresponding audit / adjustment settings. I does this if the middle service switch is in the up position, if it is down (or if that connector is unplugged) the game wont boot at all. Anyone have any ideas before I dig deeper into it? I haven't replaced any chip sockets on the MPU yet since they are not Scanbe and look okay. I tried it with a different known good driver board just to rule that out, no change. Also burned a new set of flipper / game EPROMs, no change. And tried swapping the NVRAM with a 5101 RAM chip, no change.

#2 6 years ago

I may be way off but I would put a meter on the coin door switches and make sure something is not internally shorted in the switches.

#3 6 years ago

I would check the 2 4 pin connectors on the left top of cpu board. Perhaps they are reversed with each other. Ive seen this before if one is missing the keying pin. One is for display data the other is diag switches.

#4 6 years ago

Unplug the coin door and power on. If it doesn't scroll through audits, problem is with coin door switches.

#5 6 years ago

usually caused by the 74LS02 having a floating ground. Its ground return gets ripped / corroded out at the lower left battery terminal

#6 6 years ago

Same thing happened to my Black Out. Had to to clean up and replaced that chip.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

usually caused by the 74LS02 having a floating ground. Its ground return gets ripped / corroded out at the lower left battery terminal

That was it! The ground where it travels from the front of the board to the back through one of the battery pack mounting holes was bad. Stitching a wire through the hole fixed it. That looks like it could be a pretty common problem, I'm surprised I haven't run across it before. Thanks so much for the help!!

#8 6 years ago

Thanks barakandl for pointing me in the right direction, and thanks for all of the other suggestions. Another mystery solved!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-scrolling-through-audits and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.