Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210615_172120 (resized).jpg
20210615_172040 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

The MPU is resetting or locking up in play. When this happens, the flippers quit working and the game start up in to attract mode, with the sound (heart beat) playing in the background. There is nothing that points to the flippers or any solenoids that may be causing this issue.
The board did have battery damage in a very small section of the board. The chips, IC5 and IC19 was removed and the board sanded down to shiny copper traces with a vinegar wash afterwards. I repined all the connectors that I found that had green goo in the connectors.
The male and female interconnect has been replaced along with all the headers.
I also recapped the power supply high voltage and 5 volt section.

I don't have much system 6 board work experience, but I'm thinking that the reset section of the board is acting up. This is just a guess.

Where do I go from here?

20210615_172040 (resized).jpg20210615_172040 (resized).jpg20210615_172120 (resized).jpg20210615_172120 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

With a flaky 5 volts theory, I decided to try another power supply that I know is working correctly. So far it seems to be holding up. When I worked on the 5 volt section on the power supply the one thing that I did not change was the Voltage Regulator 5 volt 3A.
Can the voltage regulator act up causing resets, or does it go out complete when it goes out?

7 months later
#3 2 years ago

Bump, This issue has started up again. You can play a number of games, then out of the blue, it locks up as described above. Any suggestions?

#4 2 years ago

I'd suspect the OEM masked ROMs.
Gorgar, being a system 6 game, can be modified to use a single game ROM at IC14, along with the two "flipper ROMs".

The example here: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_3_-_7#Combining_System_3-6_Original_ROMs_Into_a_Single_ROM_at_IC14

...shows a System 6 MPU for TriZone that is modified exactly as you need it.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#5 2 years ago

Thank you Chris, I'll try this and report back.

#6 2 years ago

One question. I know how to double and image, but I don't know how to combine 3 difference images to one chip. Never had to do that before. Can anyone point me in the direction on how to do this?

I got an GQ4x4 programmer.

#7 2 years ago

Well, I didn't find a way to program the chip. But I find a file that was already combined with the help of another pinsider. Chip has been programed and games being played.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-reset-lockup-mid-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.